PDA

View Full Version : Questions about attending Tennis Matches

Atherton2003
06-10-2008, 06:28 PM
I've never attended tennis matches before, but I might have an opportunity to go to the US Open....I just had a few questions for those folks who have attended tennis tournaments....

1. Have you gotten sun burnt sitting out in the blazing sun for so many hours?

2. What happens if it rains that day...do you get to go to another day's matches or do you get a refund?

3. Do you just get to go to 1 match or is the ticket good for various matches on different courts throughout the day?

4. If you're not sitting in the first few rows...is it possible to see the match or is it better to just watch it at home on your television set?

5. For those that have gone to tennis matches....were you disappointed or was it very exciting? Did you leave the match feeling that you'd go again or that you'd rather sit home and watch the match instead?

6. Were you disappointed if you didn't get to see a match with your favorite player? You have to buy tickets so far in advance, that it's impossible to know which match you'll get to see.

ferocious4hand
06-10-2008, 06:34 PM
For such a large tournament I suggest you buy the ground pass. You get to see all the matches except for the large stadium ones but you get a close up of pros practicing which is at time much more interesting than any match

Atherton2003
06-10-2008, 06:37 PM
For such a large tournament I suggest you buy the ground pass. You get to see all the matches except for the large stadium ones but you get a close up of pros practicing which is at time much more interesting than any match

That sounds like a terrific idea! I didn't realize they had a "ground pass".....I think it would be more exciting to see the pros practicing than the actual match.

Photoshop
06-10-2008, 07:00 PM
I had attended countless college tennis matches but my first tennis tournament was this year in Miami.

1. Have you gotten sun burnt sitting out in the blazing sun for so many hours?
Serious case of sunburn. Especially a few spots I forgot to apply the sunscreen - ears, legs, etc.

3. Do you just get to go to 1 match or is the ticket good for various matches on different courts throughout the day?
Ground pass for the first weekend (second round) was about 40 dollars, and I got to watch all the tennis I could from 11am to 8pm. I had a match schedule with me so I knew when to go where to watch my favorite pros. I never sat through an entire match though except for Nadal's doubles. But then again those that left during Nadal's match could forget about coming back in b/c of long waiting lines surrounding the court.

5. For those that have gone to tennis matches....were you disappointed or was it very exciting? Did you leave the match feeling that you'd go again or that you'd rather sit home and watch the match instead?
I drove 5-6 hours to see Roger and Rafa from up close. There's nothing that could've ruined my day except rain. And I felt belonged among my tennis folks.:)

6. Were you disappointed if you didn't get to see a match with your favorite player? You have to buy tickets so far in advance, that it's impossible to know which match you'll get to see.
I was a bit disappointed that I didn't get to take pics with Ana I.

Tshooter
06-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Grounds pass. Grandstand court. West side, under the overhand (shade). ;-)

Fee
06-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Going to the USO is a little bit different than going to other tournaments, but the two pieces of advice I give to anyone going to an outdoor tournament of any kind:

1. Put your sunscreen on BEFORE you get dressed (and cover everything).
2. Wear comfortable shoes.

For specific info about the USO, look in the travel section, but yes I agree, a grounds pass is all you need for the first week. You can watch the Ashe matches on the big screen, but there is usually better action and more competitive matches on the outside courts.

You will also need to check out the official USO website before you go, it seems the rules about what you can carry in and their rain policy change every year.

Have fun. Remember, a bad day of tennis is better than a good day at work. ;)