PDA

View Full Version : Ana Ivanovic

MariaS
06-10-2008, 09:04 PM
I found this article about Ana Ivanovic's serve and found it interesting. :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/01/sports/playmagazine/601gift.html?_r=1&ref=tennis&oref=slogin

Last June, the ascendant Serbian tennis player Ana Ivanovic hit a serve 124.9 miles per hour, one of the most powerful blasts ever by a woman. And this was after injuries and maturity had convinced her that, when it comes to serving, itís about more than how hard you hit the ball. The 20-year-old Ivanovic has shot up to No. 2 in the world rankings in part because she has transformed her serve into a multifaceted stroke that overwhelms opponents with its unpredictable speed and spin. Here, a closer look at one of the most dangerous shots on the womenís tour.

Djokovicfan4life
06-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Great article! :)

Ana's serve is excellent except for the toss, which Navratilova pointed out at the FO. It can go WAY out to the right sometimes.

Murray_Maniac
06-10-2008, 09:20 PM
Its kinda funny how 1 messed up speedometer could generate an all-time record in history. Im not saying that thats the reason, but im just sayin what if?

35ft6
06-10-2008, 09:55 PM
I saw a girl at a cuban restaurant yesterday who was a dead ringer for Ana except she was hispanic.

Bjorn99
06-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Navratilova claimed that? What a joke, she made a career out of tossing the ball to side as well. It is actually one way to have a back that doesn't need a chiropractic session every day. Martina, get the video camera out of your bedroom, and clue in.

Syfo-Dias
06-11-2008, 07:39 AM
I saw a girl at a cuban restaurant yesterday who was a dead ringer for Ana except she was hispanic.

Many Cubans are of pure Spanish ancestry and many Spaniards look very much like other Europeans, so that seems pretty likely.

LuckyR
06-11-2008, 08:45 AM
I read this article in the NY Times Sport magazine and decided that if she can hit serves 125 MPH and she is roughly my height and weight, then Gosh Darn, I should be able to do that.

I especially liked the part about tossing into the court more, in order to disguise the serve type. I found very easily that this is true.

35ft6
06-11-2008, 09:36 AM
Many Cubans are of pure Spanish ancestry and many Spaniards look very much like other Europeans, so that seems pretty likely.Almost exact same face, especially below the nose, the same underbite and slightly large jaw. Very cute.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
06-11-2008, 09:39 AM
It's a great article, I think with her serve and improved fitness both mentally and physically has been nothing but positives for her.