PDA

View Full Version : Is Babolat APD+ w/ Cortex too heavy?

user92626
06-10-2008, 09:57 PM
I am asking because several recreational players had held my apd+ and commented that it was heavy and powerful. It feels ok to me but lately I start to suspect my often late FH is caused by the fact that I can't move it fast enough. Furthermore, I end up more like blocking to ball over instead of whipping it.

I've decided today that I'm putting this beautiful racket away in the closet until my level improves. Going back to 9.2 oz wilson 6.6 Ti.

Double Fault
06-11-2008, 06:24 AM
It is only 300 grams. I'd say it is the lightest player stick around. Stop being lazy and swing it! :P

Syfo-Dias
06-11-2008, 06:24 AM
I guess weight is a relative thing. If you're used to a 9.2 oz racquet then I guess it could feel heavy. I'm pretty used to 12 oz racquets, so the Pure Drives feel too light to me. I'd recommend sticking with it though because playing with a stiff 9.2 oz racquet isn't going to be good for your arm.

BCEagle01
06-11-2008, 06:25 AM
I had to lead mine up to make it playable and balanced correctly for me. Definitely not too light, not a chance.

user92626
06-11-2008, 10:37 AM
You guys' answers is what I've been afraid.

It comes down to that my level basically sucks that I can't exploit this racket's potential. To me this racket demands that you really have a decent, control stroke. Anything less would cause errors.

Thanks for inputs, guys.

ohhgourami
06-11-2008, 04:29 PM
well playing with that light crap sure isnt going to make you improve anyway so might as well struggle with the APDC and slowly live up to what it demands.

Lucky57
06-11-2008, 05:38 PM
maybe you should try the new aero strike. i hear it's very similar to the aeropro drive, but it's like 2 or 3 ounces light.

Micky
06-11-2008, 08:12 PM
I am asking because several recreational players had held my apd+ and commented that it was heavy and powerful. It feels ok to me but lately I start to suspect my often late FH is caused by the fact that I can't move it fast enough. Furthermore, I end up more like blocking to ball over instead of whipping it.

I've decided today that I'm putting this beautiful racket away in the closet until my level improves. Going back to 9.2 oz wilson 6.6 Ti.

Hola user,

I am not going to give you crap regarding your play level. I will tell you about a miracle. I used to play with the Pure Drive + Cortex and had two frames. One would play perfect and the other would play as heavy as a steel beam. Out of the blues, I was given an overgrip called Pro Team and replaced my Syntec one. The extra gram or two in my handle gave me the perfect balance and made my heavy racquet play just like my perfect aka "baby" racquet.

RoddickistheMan
06-11-2008, 08:32 PM
i found it to swing very very light. In fact i found it to be pretty light. Lighter compared to the pure drive plus team

spkyEngrish
06-12-2008, 05:52 AM
The first time you try returning a good kick or slice serve with that 9 ouncer, is the moment you'll understand why most players gravitate towards heavier frames as they progress. You need weight to create enough momentum to facilitate returning heavy balls. That feather-light racquet might be a blast to hit against the wall, or hit feeder balls with, but you'll crave more heft as the skill level of your opponents increase. Why don't you try developing your strokes, or some strengthening exercises before giving up on the APD?

Il Mostro
06-12-2008, 08:00 AM
I would never categorize this stick as being heavy in any way. Sure, it's got some power, but it is only 320 grams. Anything lighter would feel like a fly swatter to me. The compromise with the ADPC is slightly less than perfect stability and net play, but it isn't terrible in these areas and, for me, more than makes up for it in other ways. *Very* easy to get around with this racquet -- maybe the visual aspect (i.e. fat stick) gave the people you referenced a subliminal suggestion???

andres17
06-12-2008, 08:40 AM
ye it seems to b heavy to most who use it for the first time, i have one too nd when ppl wanna try it out first thing they say its heavy, nd don't give it up wasn't to good myself when i bought it but i've grown to it. better to be the worst with within the best, then the best with the within worst.