PDA

View Full Version : ***The Pure Storm Tour thread***

Pages : [1] 2

dgoran
06-11-2008, 05:53 AM
Hi I was researching this stick regarding user experiences and I could not find a lot of info in one place so PST users unite.

What string combo works for you and what other mods work good on PST.

This is my newest stick in my collection and I love the serve and flexibility of it. It is the most flexible frame I used to date and I am sort of on the fence about it. I love serving and control but I feel like my golfers elbow hurts tiny bit after using it.

Could that pain be a result of frame's flexibility. I always heard that flexible=good but it looks like my stiffer k90 and AeroPro Drive Cortex do not hurt my arm at all?

Please post your experiences with this stick.

I currently have X1 biphase strung at 60 and it is very powerful string but it does remind of a nat gut a little.

-Goran

TMCW140
06-11-2008, 10:02 AM
i love mine. keep changing strings, so not to sure on that, but i've had to slap a load of lead tape around the rim of mine to get a nicer swing out of it-bit more spin aswell

[K]evinMoss
07-05-2008, 08:53 PM
i have 3 PST's. all loaded up with VS Team 17. may be a liitle old school with nat. gut, but untill something else comes along that plays like gut, VS Team it is. tried all kinds of string from full poly, hybrid poly/syn, poly/ nat. gut, etc. but nothing feels as good in the PST as good ol nat. gut.

journeymonk
07-07-2008, 01:42 AM
I did experience a bit of golfer's elbow swinging this. Increased my grip size (on day one, replaced the original Syntec grip with the VS Excel--which was thinner), and will be trying it out tonight.

I use Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour 17g on the mains at 54 lbs. and Babolat Attraction 16g on the crosses at 56 lbs. and so far it's been going OK.

I miss a little bit of power coming from my friend's AK90.

Any suggestions on spin-friendly, yet powerful strings?

The Tecnifibre X-One Biphase looks promising.

VikingSamurai
07-07-2008, 01:44 AM
Best strings for this frame is Babolat Powergy.. I have my 3 strung @ 54lbs..

journeymonk
07-07-2008, 02:22 AM
Ah, yes, from the other thread. How is spin with the Powergy? I know it's great for adding power, but spin is a big part of my game.

Anyone gone modifying theirs with lead tape? Pictures please of the exact location. :)

Also, can anyone comment on the er... comment/ review that this racquet is not good for those with a windshield wiper finish? I didn't know there were any racquets good/ bad for that I always thought it was technique. :confused:

ClubHoUno
07-07-2008, 11:20 AM
I will string my 2 PST's with Babolat VS Team 17g in the mains @ 28 kg and Babolat VS Touch 16g in the crosses @ 27 kg.

I'll see how it plays then, then - I think it will be very powerful, but also have a great deal of spin :D

http://i31.tinypic.com/oqegwp.jpg

http://i28.tinypic.com/2mdqvch.jpg

Right now I have a hybrid of X-one and Recoil in it and it plays great........Then it's all natural gut setup for the test.

VikingSamurai
07-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Ah, yes, from the other thread. How is spin with the Powergy? I know it's great for adding power, but spin is a big part of my game.

Anyone gone modifying theirs with lead tape? Pictures please of the exact location. :)

Also, can anyone comment on the er... comment/ review that this racquet is not good for those with a windshield wiper finish? I didn't know there were any racquets good/ bad for that I always thought it was technique. :confused:

No problem with the spin and durability. Its the softness of the string that has been the hardest to get used to, but my elbow loves me for it now that I have found this frame, and this string... I have been a little late with my backhand and keep catching the net tape of late. So I have decided 3grams of lead in the "put lead here" section at 12 to see how it goes. But I have a feeling I may have also try 3 & 9 at some stage..

Harry24
07-07-2008, 09:53 PM

Me too although I've heard of quite a few racquets that are good for a winshield wiper finish(K90 of course ha). But to me if thats your technique then its your technique, you shouldnt base your racquet choice on your style of forehand.:rolleyes::)

journeymonk
07-21-2008, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the input, guys. Let's keep this thread alive. ;)

LafayetteHitter
07-21-2008, 11:37 AM
I am currently playing this frame with Yonex 850 Pro spin multi mains and Kirschbaum Pro Line II crosses at 57lbs. Spin is great and the pop on serves if fantastic. I am thinking of trying poly mains for added spin but hate to loose the sweet ball pocketing characteristics of the multi mains

Ross K
07-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Although I really don't need another racquet, I actually have one of these coming to me from being strung hopefully Wednesday (the price was too good to refuse; I have a certain history with Babs; and what with the supposed added control and the flex, the frame just sounds too appealing.) I was a bit concerned that the serve would be pretty weak compared to the likes of your PC, your PD and your PDR, etc, but like the above post ^ seems to show, there should be enough pop to be had. Anyway, shall no doubt post on here about how things proceed... BTW, I've gone for Lux Alu Power @ 56 lbs.

Willietan
07-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Any main difference with the original Pure Storm? I think the added weight would constitute to better stability. Anything else? I'm using a PDR now but wants to look out for a more flex stick.

LafayetteHitter
07-21-2008, 04:38 PM
I definately find it is more flexy than the original Pure Storm Team. The Pure storm Tour was the first Babolat that I found actually had a bit of an old school graphite feel to it. If you can handle the swingweight over a couple sets its a great hit. Serves are fantastic and easy to generate power on while still having the control needed on a powerful first serve.

VikingSamurai
07-21-2008, 04:47 PM
I definately find it is more flexy than the original Pure Storm Team. The Pure storm Tour was the first Babolat that I found actually had a bit of an old school graphite feel to it. If you can handle the swingweight over a couple sets its a great hit. Serves are fantastic and easy to generate power on while still having the control needed on a powerful first serve.

Exactly why I settled on it after a 2 year search and demo of everything and anything.. My search ended because of the old school feel..

LafayetteHitter
07-21-2008, 04:55 PM
I was shocked after not caring for any Babolat frames before the Pure Storm Tour.

Harry24
07-21-2008, 09:30 PM
Although I really don't need another racquet, I actually have one of these coming to me from being strung hopefully Wednesday (the price was too good to refuse; I have a certain history with Babs; and what with the supposed added control and the flex, the frame just sounds too appealing.) I was a bit concerned that the serve would be pretty weak compared to the likes of your PC, your PD and your PDR, etc, but like the above post ^ seems to show, there should be enough pop to be had. Anyway, shall no doubt post on here about how things proceed... BTW, I've gone for Lux Alu Power @ 56 lbs.
Do not be fooled I've tried 13 racquets so far and the Pure Storm Tour is the best racquet for flat first serves. Like he said there is soooo much pop on any stroke.....it really is a joy to hit with.

dgoran
07-21-2008, 09:46 PM
Do not be fooled I've tried 13 racquets so far and the Pure Storm Tour is the best racquet for flat first serves. Like he said there is soooo much pop on any stroke.....it really is a joy to hit with.
Ditto

I am having a hard time deciding between Aeropro Drive Cortex and pure storm tour. One is giving me tiny bit more consistency only because when I swing with pst it is soooooo much fun to smack the ball when playing with pst that I think it's resulting in more inconsistent play. I just cannot resist that look on the opponent's face when you smack a flat serve with PST I am not sure if its the string or the racket but pst has that SOUND WWHHAPPPP when you hit the ball that sounds like a gun going off.

Ross K
07-22-2008, 02:49 AM
I'm loving these great reports ^^ about the serve abilities of the PST :cool: and am really looking forward to discovering it for myself. In the meantime though, just to give me an even better idea, how would ppl say it compares in general to the PD, the PC, or the PDR?

Harry24
07-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Ditto

I am having a hard time deciding between Aeropro Drive Cortex and pure storm tour. One is giving me tiny bit more consistency only because when I swing with pst it is soooooo much fun to smack the ball when playing with pst that I think it's resulting in more inconsistent play. I just cannot resist that look on the opponent's face when you smack a flat serve with PST I am not sure if its the string or the racket but pst has that SOUND WWHHAPPPP when you hit the ball that sounds like a gun going off.
Haha ditto here too I am between the Pure Storm Tour, APDC and Aero Storm Tour. I think the Aero Storm Tour is the perfect compromise and will most likely go with it. And yeah this racquet is the best I've tried on serve.

Harry24
07-22-2008, 05:00 PM
I'm loving these great reports ^^ about the serve abilities of the PST :cool: and am really looking forward to discovering it for myself. In the meantime though, just to give me an even better idea, how would ppl say it compares in general to the PD, the PC, or the PDR?
My opinion- the pure drives just arent that great for me on serve...wish Icould help:?. The pure storm tour blows them out of the water in every category.

PED
07-22-2008, 06:18 PM
I am currently playing this frame with Yonex 850 Pro spin multi mains and Kirschbaum Pro Line II crosses at 57lbs. Spin is great and the pop on serves if fantastic. I am thinking of trying poly mains for added spin but hate to loose the sweet ball pocketing characteristics of the multi mains

What kind of lifespan are you getting out of that string setup? I had x1 mains crossed with CF and it was wonderful (probably my best setup ever) until it popped right in the middle of the mains after 2 hours. I'd love to try your setup but would like to be able to get more than 2 hours out of it.

thx

Ross K
07-23-2008, 12:42 AM
My opinion- the pure drives just arent that great for me on serve...wish Icould help:?. The pure storm tour blows them out of the water in every category.

Wo!?... I find that hard to believe (specially on serve and groundies.) Anyway, should get the frame today and shall report back after I've had a hit... though I should say I've recently had a few sessions with my old PD+ (team version, non-Cortex) and have been very impressed by its qualities, compared to which the likes of the PDR and the Pure Control don't match up IMO... but what about the PST though?... (TO BE CONTINUED.)

0d1n
07-23-2008, 06:19 AM
No problem with the spin and durability. Its the softness of the string that has been the hardest to get used to, but my elbow loves me for it now that I have found this frame, and this string... I have been a little late with my backhand and keep catching the net tape of late. So I have decided 3grams of lead in the "put lead here" section at 12 to see how it goes. But I have a feeling I may have also try 3 & 9 at some stage..

I fail to see the logic in adding lead @ 12 if you're already hitting late. IMO the lead should be added if the frame swings too light (i.e you are hitting early).

Ross K
07-23-2008, 07:57 AM
Hit with the PST for an hour earlier. Too soon obviously to say anything too definitive, but my first reactions were:

. It's everything I always kind of wanted the Pure Control to be.

. This has to have the best control/feel/touch Bab rod I've tried.

. A very good serving stick. I don't personally think it's better than the stiffer Bab frames, but it's close enough. No complaints at all.

. Groundies a tad less powerful than your PD's etc, but so what? If you want more control and a bit of flex (just like supposed 'player's frames'), whilst retaining something of the Babolat oomph - this is the one. Both fhs and bhs were finding good depth, pace and the spin was more than adequate.

. Really liked it on return of serve - very soliid.

. Menouverability: pretty easy to swing I thought.

. Comfort: absolutely fine.

. Cosmetics work for me with it's updated Pure Control/Pure Storm look.

. Set up of Lux Alu Power @ 56 lbs felt... hmmmm... very, very niiice... "ooooh baby!"...

Anyway, those are my early impressions... IMO (albeit only based on an hour's hit) Babolat has come up with a winner here. A great combination that picks up on the qualities of the Pure Storm and the Pure Control (and ditches the negatives), and adds a bit of player's frame class with the added feel and control.

anbu4ever11
07-23-2008, 08:09 AM
it really is a wonderful frame.i have just one but ive used it from april till about now.i went from an apdc to it and it completely just blew it out of the water.would of stuck with it if the current stick i am getting wasnt an improvement compared to it.babolat hit the spot with these rackets though and i bet theyll have a ton of pure storm tour junkies by the time new ones come out

Ross K
07-23-2008, 10:05 AM
it really is a wonderful frame.i have just one but ive used it from april till about now.i went from an apdc to it and it completely just blew it out of the water.would of stuck with it if the current stick i am getting wasnt an improvement compared to it.babolat hit the spot with these rackets though and i bet theyll have a ton of pure storm tour junkies by the time new ones come out

And what prey tell is this frame which is an 'improvement' on the PST? :)

anbu4ever11
07-23-2008, 11:05 AM
well i personally prefer the tecnifibre 320 XL now.idk something about it is just fits me better.im keeping my pst though for sure cause it is really a great racket

Ross K
07-23-2008, 02:16 PM
I'm wondering if they do the PST in a plus size?... that might interest me.

Harry24
07-23-2008, 05:11 PM
I'm wondering if they do the PST in a plus size?... that might interest me.

yeah TW has a plus version of the Pure Storm Tour

[K]evinMoss
07-23-2008, 05:23 PM
Ross, I think the more you play with this stick, the more you'll find it's kinda like pickin up an old baseball glove you've had layin around the house. it just seems to work. i have three and if there is one minor complaint, i'd like to see a 12.5 oz version. but that's just my preference...

Ross K
07-23-2008, 11:55 PM
evinMoss;2546996']... if there is one minor complaint, i'd like to see a 12.5 oz version. but that's just my preference...

Kevin,

Upon deeper reflection, now I think about it, I too could perhaps ideally do with a bit more heft (don't know about 12.05 though.) Plus also... and this is a bigger issue... re directional control - which is probably easier in many ways with the PST than other Babs - I was still a bit too off for my liking; still a bit too wayward and not as precise as I'd wish for. Of course I only played an hour so I can't expect to be fully dialed in. Anyway, I'm taking the PST and 2-3 more frames with me on holiday today where I should have good opportunities to test these rods out and finally decide on, ahem... "THE ONE"!

anbu4ever11,

Interesting that you prefer the TF 320XL. Pretty recently I had a short-lived period of playing with the TF 320 18x20. Initially I was absolutely bowled over by the phenomenal accuracy and control capacity of the frame. However, I quickly became frustrated by its low, low power, and the feel began to bug me. The TF that still holds some appeal for me would be the 325, but as that isn't easy to get (and certainly not in the UK), I've sort of put it out of my mind. Besides, for me, TBH the PST is a much better frame all around than the TF (the TF 320 18x20 at any rate.)

[K]evinMoss
07-24-2008, 07:38 PM
Ross, do yourself a favor and give it some time. I promise your patience WILL be rewarded. It took me about 10-12 total hours to get real comfortable with it. And I still find it better and better each time out. It just seems to come around a little time. But as with any racquet, you must have confidence in it and be comfortable with it. And ONLY YOU can make that decision. Enjoy...

kinsella
07-24-2008, 09:07 PM
I have experimented with several set ups using natural gut mains. The latest tweak that not only works well, but feels fabulous is 58 lbs 17g BDE/Pacific Classic/Klip Legend and 18g Gosen OG at 55#. The lower tension on the Gosen lets the gut dominate the feeling, while the higher tension gives better control. The lower tension and lighter gauge crosses maintain the comfort I had at lower tensions. Bite for spin is outstanding.

anbu4ever11
07-24-2008, 10:30 PM
oh yeah ross u def will like the pst if u keep using it.yes well i should be getting my tfight 320 xl soon today so ill have to go out and compare to the pst.i like the pst alot i really do.it is a very very nice stick but its not the one for me.its up there though,its second followed by the aerostorm tour or kblade tour in my book

VAmazona
07-28-2008, 07:23 PM
Interesting observations! I am having elbow problems from my PS 6.0s and power envy from my mid 50 lb string jobs. I used to have the Pure Control + but moved into the 6.0 pro staff, would this be a good racquet (or even the new aero version) for someone not generating the same pop (I've always felt the PS wasn't a racquet you could pick up and just hit away with)?

Harry24
07-28-2008, 08:30 PM
oh yeah ross u def will like the pst if u keep using it.yes well i should be getting my tfight 320 xl soon today so ill have to go out and compare to the pst.i like the pst alot i really do.it is a very very nice stick but its not the one for me.its up there though,its second followed by the aerostorm tour or kblade tour in my book
wow thats interesting!, kblade tour and aero storm tour are two completely different racquets to me

h7hugo
07-29-2008, 05:06 AM
I assume that some guys as already played with the pure strom and the pure strom lmt. Can you give me some thoughts about PST and PS Lmt. compared with the PS?? (I've only hit with a PS)

Ross K
07-30-2008, 02:07 PM
Played with it today against better player and the results were interesting...

I really got going on the serve this afternoon (and BTW, cheers and kudos to you guys who originally told a sceptical me about the tremendous serve capacity of the racquet.) Slice out wide was consistantly troubling for my opponent. However, it was the flat (flatish anyway) bombers down the middle that were very impressive. The ace count was higher than I've experienced in a very long time. Cue - big smile :) ! Next I need to work on my second serve kickers and see if I can't make this a reliable weapon.

Sadly, the advances made with the serve seemed to be equalled by the unwelcome reappearance of that maddening phenomenon known unto thousands and thousands of Babolat users the world over and since the day the company began selling the frames successfully; namely ('He clears his throat.') I had 'control issues'... Yep... I was hitting too long, too often... and, frankly, it really p***** me off!... Cue misery! :cry:

Anyway, right now it's looking like it's betwen the PST and one other frame.

StealthGnome
07-30-2008, 03:56 PM
I just bought one from a TWer. My arm is sore from bowling (i think i did it wrong lol fail) so I'll probably wait a few days.

PED
07-31-2008, 04:51 AM
Sadly, the advances made with the serve seemed to be equalled by the unwelcome reappearance of that maddening phenomenon known unto thousands and thousands of Babolat users the world over and since the day the company began selling the frames successfully; namely ('He clears his throat.') I had 'control issues'... Yep... I was hitting too long, too often

Just curious but do you hit fairly flat? I've never had any control issues with that stick and was wondering where that came from. I find I hit a ball with a lower trajectory with my PST but it still has plenty of action on it. I feel the ball from the PST really moves "through" the court, whereas the ball off of an APDC is more "spinny" but not as heavy feeling.(I don't think Rafa has that problem-his balls are quite a bit heavier than mine :) )

What string setup are you using as that might help as well. I'm using either big banger original or cyberflash at 53/51-good combo of power and control. I find the PST to be extremely string sensitive. For example, I used to love big ace when using my PDR but it's much too powerful for the PST. I'm just trying to think of little things that could make you enjoy it more. Good luck with it ;)

Enlightened Coelacanth
07-31-2008, 07:59 AM
Any issues with frame integrity? I.E. handle cracking, head cracking, etc.? I've heard some negative things about the Pure Storm Tour in this regards. Thanks...EC

PED
07-31-2008, 08:11 AM
^^No issues with frame at all. I've used one since last October and it's strong like bull.

Ross K
07-31-2008, 12:53 PM
Just curious but do you hit fairly flat? I've never had any control issues with that stick and was wondering where that came from. I find I hit a ball with a lower trajectory with my PST but it still has plenty of action on it. I feel the ball from the PST really moves "through" the court, whereas the ball off of an APDC is more "spinny" but not as heavy feeling.(I don't think Rafa has that problem-his balls are quite a bit heavier than mine :) )

What string setup are you using as that might help as well. I'm using either big banger original or cyberflash at 53/51-good combo of power and control. I find the PST to be extremely string sensitive. For example, I used to love big ace when using my PDR but it's much too powerful for the PST. I'm just trying to think of little things that could make you enjoy it more. Good luck with it ;)

PED,

I suspect you're right on the money there actually re me hitting kind of flat. I think the reasons are two-fold...

Firstly, I'm currently testing out/playing with not only the PST but also an 18x20 racquet which is a very flat-hitting frame. It now suddenly seems very obvious that flitting between the PST and the other string pattern frame is going to have some negatives - such as grip issues, brushing up and w/wiping the ball issues, etc, etc.

Secondly, as a previous thread about this illustrates, I do have some history re problems with topspin technique. My coach also happened to touch on this matter a while ago, and therefore I thought this issue was fixed; but obviously not. In truth, I've always found Babs such as the Pure Control (terrible name!) and the PDR hard to keep in bounds consistently; though I'm a better with the PD+, which I played with for a while a few years back. However, to hear that you've never experienced any control issues with the PST confirms my own instincts, which tell me the frame is far softer and easier to control than nearly all other Babs...

So... time to work on my topspin technique then... and I do realise that if I played with no other stick for at least a week these technique issues should largely disappear.

Thanks for sharing your views, thoughts, etc.

R.

BTW, I was especially interested to hear your opinion of the 'heavy ball' that comes off the PST... I agree... and along with the serve, it's a major reason I'll carry on testing it out.

BTW2, here's my set up: Lux Alu Power @ 56 lbs... have to say, it feels pretty bloody amazing to me!

PED
07-31-2008, 03:35 PM
Ross, alu is $$ in that stick. I love the aluR but have gone to BB original to save a little bit of money as well as get a bit more string life.

I know what you mean about demoing several sticks at once. It's tough to switch around and keep a consistent technique on your strokes. I use to play with an apdc, pdr and pst. I would rotate among them and play well with each but I found my consistency lacking. I finally sold off the pdr and apdc (both great sticks) and bought another pst.

One of the best things I've done in awhile. Now, all I have to do is try and stay off the racquets section on talk tennis and I won't feel any temptation ;) I think if I was not using the pst, I would use the microgel prestige pro. There are so many good sticks out there.

I think it's good that you are demoing with the alu in there. When I first demoed it last year, my demo had Bab Attraction in it and I really had to look past the string and see the potential in the PST. One more thing, you might want to consider looking at the XL length PST. I've used it a few times and it still comes around pretty quickly even with the extra half inch. I sometimes wonder if I should have gone that route??? Let me know how it goes with the PST.

One last point, nothing wrong with hitting flat. James Blake is number 8 in the world and he hits it quite flat :)

Harry24
07-31-2008, 06:08 PM
Ross, alu is $$ in that stick. I love the aluR but have gone to BB original to save a little bit of money as well as get a bit more string life.

I know what you mean about demoing several sticks at once. It's tough to switch around and keep a consistent technique on your strokes. I use to play with an apdc, pdr and pst. I would rotate among them and play well with each but I found my consistency lacking. I finally sold off the pdr and apdc (both great sticks) and bought another pst.

One of the best things I've done in awhile. Now, all I have to do is try and stay off the racquets section on talk tennis and I won't feel any temptation ;) I think if I was not using the pst, I would use the microgel prestige pro. There are so many good sticks out there.

I think it's good that you are demoing with the alu in there. When I first demoed it last year, my demo had Bab Attraction in it and I really had to look past the string and see the potential in the PST. One more thing, you might want to consider looking at the XL length PST. I've used it a few times and it still comes around pretty quickly even with the extra half inch. I sometimes wonder if I should have gone that route??? Let me know how it goes with the PST.

One last point, nothing wrong with hitting flat. James Blake is number 8 in the world and he hits it quite flat :)
Haha well that reasures me too. I hit really flat bit itend to like racquets that give alot of spin potential than ones that are better supposedly for flat hitters(18x20).

Ross K
08-01-2008, 05:12 AM

Another interesting post PED...

I've kind of got it down to the PST and the i. Prestige (two VERY contrasting frames... no wonder the glitches switching between them!), with the PT 630 and PD+ kind of ditched and demoted... for now. :wink:

I, too, though need to stay away from the 'racquets' section and stop reading about all the many great rods out there! (I definitely don't need to hear any more about the Pure Storm Ltd or the MG PP!)

Also, I have a past history with a couple of XL racquets - I like them v/much for my 2hbh and serve - and will keep my eyes open regarding the PST XL.

I take your coment re James Blake, however, I do think I need to work at and improve my fh topspin.

Lastly, I'd be curious to know of your own or other ppls lead tape experiences with the PST so I can form a general impression should I wish to begin adding some LT... So... where (location)?... how much tape?... results?...

Cheers

R.

BTW, Yeah - I'm happy with the Alu, I must say.

BTW2, Please feel free to post any further thoughts whatsoever on the PST.

tennis_hand
08-02-2008, 04:31 AM
OK. just got the PST today. this will be my weapon from now on.

my old 6.0 95 has retired. it served its good time for me.

PED
08-02-2008, 07:23 AM
Ross, I tried using 2g at the tip of the head on the PST and ended up taking it off. With an overgrip and full poly, mine tip the scales at 12.0 even. This weight is just about perfect for me. I ended up taking off the lead as it slowed my bat speed down just a hair and I found I was more effective by using the faster stick speed and the full poly to create a nastier ball.

Regarding strings, I'm also finding the BB Original is holding tension longer than the alu, so I'm liking that quite bit!

Finally, be careful with the lead on the PST. The paint is super soft and when you peel the lead off, the paint usually comes with it. I've got a nasty bare spot at the top of one of mine that looks unsightly.

Harry24
08-02-2008, 10:34 AM
Ross, I tried using 2g at the tip of the head on the PST and ended up taking it off. With an overgrip and full poly, mine tip the scales at 12.0 even. This weight is just about perfect for me. I ended up taking off the lead as it slowed my bat speed down just a hair and I found I was more effective by using the faster stick speed and the full poly to create a nastier ball.

Regarding strings, I'm also finding the BB Original is holding tension longer than the alu, so I'm liking that quite bit!

Finally, be careful with the lead on the PST. The paint is super soft and when you peel the lead off, the paint usually comes with it. I've got a nasty bare spot at the top of one of mine that looks unsightly.
Stupid question, wat is BB Original? I know its a poly that you say is better than lux's alu. Which I love except it loses tension to fast.

PED
08-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Not a dumb question at all. BB original is lux's "original" poly offering from way back in the day. It's still used quite a bit on the tour by Safin, Gasquet, Moya, etc. I just started using it recently when searching for an alu substitute. I never considered using BBO but NickB spoke so highly of it that I felt I needed to try it...and I'm glad I did.

I wouldn't say that it's better performance wise than alu but BBO does 97% of what alu does for only $12 a pack as opposed to $14.50 for the alu. I love alu but just cant' justify the price when I factor in the constant restringing from tension loss, but I'm getting more hours on my BBO as opposed to the alu and that makes a big difference.

Plus, it's got that "X" factor feeling you get from lux. Give it a shot, I'd be surprised if you don't really love it...especially coming from alu. It only comes in the 1.30mm size but I feel that it plays more like a 1.25 and it's really comfortable for a poly as well. If I was still using my PDR with an RA of 71, I might have more of a problem with the stiffer nature of the BBO but it feels fantastic in the PST.

StealthGnome
08-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Wow wow wow. I just want to say this thing is a beast serving. Compared to the 18-21mm beam of my RDS001 MP, the straight beam doesn't flex as much on contact. BOOM. Wow. Serving has been a weak part of my game. I think this will boost my confidence.
What poly strings do you guys recommend? I currently have used Red Code. Notched in pretty nicely. It might be time to switch.

Ross K
08-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Hi PSTers,

Another day, another very positive outing with the racquet... actually my instinct now is to drop all interest in any other frame/s and just concentrate on this and see... so that's it then!... as of today I'm soley focussing on this one rod until such a time as I declare 'I have found THE ONE' or 'next'!... deep breath... time to commit myself then! :roll:

Of today's 2-set session I was a lot better than the last one. I played the same guy I lost relatively badly to last week and drew 6-4, 4-6. All around improvement was there to be behold, although I still feel the frame takes some geting to know it, and I'm far from having unlocked all it secrets. What I did discover is that I'm very happy with the progress I'm making on the serve (in the great traditions of serve power and spin dynamic, the PST is definitely up there with the best of them IMO. Having had a wussy serve for too long, I can't tell you how pleased I am to report this .) Also - and I had no idea of his until today - the PST is a fantastic frame to lob with. For the 1st set my opponent, who likes to come quite a bit, was succesfuly lobbed EVERY SINGLE TIME (he eventually gave up the tactic altogether.) Plus also, I feel I'm beginning to get some proper usage out of the rod from the b-line. I was spreading it about a load better (specially fh c/court.) Getting good penetration and depth. My 2hbh likes this frame too (and really loves it c/court too.) I'm loving the great, crisp way I can really feel I'm smacking and cracking the ball to the sides (though I do think the Lux Alu Power has something to do with this.) And most of all, some of the control issues I previously mentioned seemed to be corrected by really trying an A Rod-like high whipping fh (you know with the very pronounced C shape he makes?), as well as really honing in on topspin technique, etc.

Anyway, lots (and I mean LOTS) of work ahead, but tonight I'm feeling... well, TBH with you guys, I'm feeling excited and 'pumped up.'

BTW, PED and Harry, Interesting to hear views on BBO, lead tape compatibility with the racquet, and such like... FWIW though, I'm still really loving the Lux Alu Power...

BTW2, Anyone with anything at all to say about the PST please just post!

R.

LafayetteHitter
08-02-2008, 12:37 PM
I find the PST is one of the easiest racquets to control points with. The ability to consistently serve well with this frame allows you to get in control of service points quickly as well. I find it's a very good frame for really punching the volleys deep as well.

StealthGnome
08-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Lafayette, I agree with you 100%. Man, I don't know if it's the infamous honeymoon period but I am in LOVE!

dgoran
08-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Great to see my PST thread still very much alive. Great to hear all of your experiences and mine are really mirroring your experiences with this racket.

I am still going between APDC and PST and I find that each have it's strengths. I am leaning towards PST as every time I serve with this stick I see why I bought it.

Groundies with PST are calling for more SW than full western grip since PST is not nearly as powerful as APDC so no need to impart all that spin just to keep the ball in as with APDC.

BTW Pro Suppex Big Ace in PST is amazing. I used BB Orig and Cyberflash but Big Ace is money I must say. Great tension maint. and easy to string. Also has that power on Demand that I cannot explain almost like woofer.

tennis_hand
08-02-2008, 06:37 PM
anyone has changed to a leather grip on this racket?

Harry24
08-02-2008, 10:54 PM
Great to see my PST thread still very much alive. Great to hear all of your experiences and mine are really mirroring your experiences with this racket.

I am still going between APDC and PST and I find that each have it's strengths. I am leaning towards PST as every time I serve with this stick I see why I bought it.

Groundies with PST are calling for more SW than full western grip since PST is not nearly as powerful as APDC so no need to impart all that spin just to keep the ball in as with APDC.

BTW Pro Suppex Big Ace in PST is amazing. I used BB Orig and Cyberflash but Big Ace is money I must say. Great tension maint. and easy to string. Also has that power on Demand that I cannot explain almost like woofer.

Kinda off subject a little but:What retains tension better Luxilon(alu or original) or Babolat(Pro Hurricane Tour) poly?

Ross K
08-03-2008, 01:44 AM
Just wondered...

Any of you more experienced PSTers have any cons to report re the frame?

For me, my slice especially is terrible (though that is my technique definitely.) I didn't volley great (again - my technique, and besides, I didn't do a whole lot of that.) I did feel it buckle more than a few times yesterday, though this was admittedly against some heavy, v/big, first serving. My control has sometimes been a bit wayward. (For the 3rd time however, this is my technique!) Really though, as a newcomer to the frame, I think virtually most of my 'cons' relates to poor technque issues and unfamiliarity that will be corrected through use.

I don't know... maybe there aren't any characteristic 'cons' wih this rod?!

phoenicks
08-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Juz Come here to say Hi.

Hit with my friend's PST, There's something very weird abt the stringbed, very mushy, no pop, offers little to no feedback, often have no idea whether or not I hit the center of the stringbed However, this racket does have a goos spin potential !!

Tharnid
08-03-2008, 04:33 PM
I have 2 Tour Plus's and picked them up after demoing about 15 racquets. I switched from a Prince 03 Tour MP which served its purpose, but I had shoulder problems with it. I might add the +'s are becoming hard to find.

I went from shoulder problems to foremarm problems :( I think it is the heft of the racquet, went to 4 3/8 grip after using 4 1/2, shortened my strokes (huge swings on fh and serve) and other things that can cause golf elbow. I think my elbow is getting better. It would hurt the first 15 minues of hitting and then wouldn't resurface until I was done playing. Now it doesn't hurt until I have played for awhile which I think is better.

I tried the poly that was in the demo I tested and it the racquet was a launching pad. I have since put in synth gut and it still feels like a launching pad. I thought about trying PHT/w Excel Hybird, XOne Biphase, or I might try PHT/w VS. Anyone have any string suggestions

I will say regardless of the problems mentioned above...I love this racquet :)

tennis_hand
08-03-2008, 07:16 PM
Just hit 2 hours yesterday with my new PST.

observations:
1. Its feel is different from my prostaff experience. I expected this. It is slightly muted.
2. Very stable.
3. comfortable, even on mishits. this is good for the arm.
4. it swings quite heavy, I would say. A lot of my strokes are late. This just needs time to adjust.
5. it has good power. This is why I wanted this stick from my prostaff. It can dominate from the baseline and can turn defense to offense.
6. Serves. Wow. It is just amazing. At the beginning, I couldn't time it well because it swings heavier, so i hit late and the ball went to the net. After I adjusted a little, the bombs start to come. And its placement is damn good and accurate.
7. still haven't found my rythm on my backhand side. Probably due to the 4 3/8 gripsize. I usually use 4 1/2, however, those are not available here. *^&* so I will wrap another OG. The bevels are still fine, because I have the leather grip.
8. very easy to generate spin. it can really damage the opponent's back hand.

Ross K
08-06-2008, 03:16 AM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=186245&highlight=

Well I was wondering if some more experienced PSTers might have some different or negative views and I found that ^.

FWIW (considering I've only played with it 3 times I think), I'll chime in with this:

. Yep, the PST is relatively soft & muted in feel (which is a matter of preference not quality.)

. The same feel is IMO by far the best of any Bab I've tried.

. Some speak of the Pure Control in highly revered tones and compare it (unfavourably) with the PST... I've personally tried and toiled on at least 2 lengthy (as in weeks ) test periods to get into the groove with the PC but failed both times. IMO the PC is stiffer, harsher, has horrible feel and and is generally way more unpredictable and lacking in control and touch than the PST... just my opinion.

. The PST does still seem a tad wayward or lacking in directional control to me (Is it the woofer? Or the flex?) But still, I find it less wayward/minus control than I think every Bab I've ever tried.

. I am surprised some don't find the PST as awesome for serving. For me it's an incredible serving stick.

. For me, this stick is precisely as advertised or as I expected it to be: a frame which combines the best elements of the Pure Control and the Pure Storm - and loses the worst elements.

What do others feel?

R.

PED
08-06-2008, 04:37 AM
I agree with you Ross on the pure control. I think it was a good stick but not as deserving of the cult status that it received.

I think it might be the woofer that's throwing you off on the directional control. Ironically, it's the woofer I like as it helps out on softening things up as well as giving that POP we all love. Part of it too is that I've played mostly with Babs and I know you've used some other "old school" frames and it's probably an adjustment period coming back to the woofer.

Tennis Hand, you'll get used to the swing weight fairly quickly-I came from an APDC but it was leaded to around the same weight:335g. Once you get the timing down, you can just crush the ball.

Tharnid: I've ended up using full big banger original or alu rough in mine. Great control and spin with that setup but since you mentioned arm problems, that might be an issue. The PHT/Excel should work but he PHT goes dead quicker than the Xcel so bear that in mind. I've found the PST to be VERY picky on string setup so just be patient with it-eventually, you'll find one that really works.

jdlee
08-06-2008, 08:02 AM
Going to my local pro shop to return my PST demo today,,

Just as so many people have stated, the serves are SWEET, great spin potential, solid stability, etc..
but honestly, I can't get myself to like the cosmetics,

The PST is working out to be such a great racquet for me, but I've also become interested in the Aero Storm Tour, as I really liked my friend's APDC. It's supposed to be the hybrid of the two?

Anyone who has tried both the AST and PST fill me in please?

Poluski
08-06-2008, 12:27 PM

Just as so many people have stated, the serves are SWEET, great spin potential, solid stability, etc..
but honestly, I can't get myself to like the cosmetics,

The PST is working out to be such a great racquet for me, but I've also become interested in the Aero Storm Tour, as I really liked my friend's APDC. It's supposed to be the hybrid of the two?

Anyone who has tried both the AST and PST fill me in please?

-for one I love the cosmetics...matte black with silver...quite nice...in my opinion. You can always get a can of black spray paint...

-I have tried the AST before settling on the PST. There was something about the response of the non-uniform shaft of AST that did not set right with me. When I tried PST everthing felt right. I'm a former n-code 90 and k90 user. My PST are set at 352 grams, 31.4 cm balance, leather grip with overgrip, VS main and Topspin BluePower cross. Slightly softer flex and 10-14 grams less weight when compared to the Wilsons is all I needed for comfort and arm not getting tired or being late, but at the same time have retained stability. I'm 43 and play in the 4.5-5.0 range.

PED
08-06-2008, 12:33 PM
I've owned all 3: PST, AST and APDC. I love my PST but I will mention that the AST feels nothing at all like the PST or the APDC. I really wanted to like the AST but it feels sluggish when swinging with the 343g swing weight as compared to the 333 of the PST. I find I'm much more consistent with the PST but will mention that you can really pancake the ball with the AST. I for one wish they had made the balance more headlight on the AST and it might have worked for me.

Try out the AST for yourself to make sure, but I'll be surprised if you end up preferring it over the PST.

My son uses the AST and he loves it. He uses full Head FXP at 60/58 and that setup really suits that stick.

Tharnid
08-06-2008, 07:46 PM
Tharnid: I've ended up using full big banger original or alu rough in mine. Great control and spin with that setup but since you mentioned arm problems, that might be an issue. The PHT/Excel should work but he PHT goes dead quicker than the Xcel so bear that in mind. I've found the PST to be VERY picky on string setup so just be patient with it-eventually, you'll find one that really works.

I am going to try X-One Biphase first and then the Bab PHT/Xcel combo. I can tell you a full syn gut set up is not going to cut it :?

I will say my serve is much more accurate with much more power and spin :)

Harry24
08-06-2008, 08:02 PM
I've owned all 3: PST, AST and APDC. I love my PST but I will mention that the AST feels nothing at all like the PST or the APDC. I really wanted to like the AST but it feels sluggish when swinging with the 343g swing weight as compared to the 333 of the PST. I find I'm much more consistent with the PST but will mention that you can really pancake the ball with the AST. I for one wish they had made the balance more headlight on the AST and it might have worked for me.

Try out the AST for yourself to make sure, but I'll be surprised if you end up preferring it over the PST.

My son uses the AST and he loves it. He uses full Head FXP at 60/58 and that setup really suits that stick.
I completely agree. I have demoed all three and finally settled on the APDC. The pure storm tour has a better feel. And the ASt does feel sluggish alot of the times, which was something I couldnt stand.
I also had FXP in my demo, good string for that racquet.
My suggestion as always:demo, demo, demo.

Ross K
08-07-2008, 06:37 AM

but honestly, I can't get myself to like the cosmetics... Given the immense difficulty many experience in finding a suitable primary racket, and compared to issues such as serve quality, spin potential, frame stability, etc, surely cosmetics is a completely minor matter?! :-?

BTW PED and others, I've posted a different thread about getting the best out of Babs/the woofer system - please feel free to contribute any thoughts - R.

Harry24
08-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Given the immense difficulty many experience in finding a suitable primary racket, and compared to issues such as serve quality, spin potential, frame stability, etc, surely cosmetics is a completely minor matter?! :-?

BTW PED and others, I've posted a different thread about getting the best out of Babs/the woofer system - please feel free to contribute any thoughts - R.
wats the link of the thread?(sorry im too lazy to find it ha)

rayallen333
08-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Harry, can you give a comparison of the APDC, pure storm and pure storm tour? I loved hitting with the APDC - its spin, directional control, and power were amazing. However, the power was a little too high and I had trouble volleying and serving with it. Any recommendations?

jdlee
08-08-2008, 07:12 PM

Bought the PST, BBO mains and X-1 Biphase crosses---great set-up for me =). I love the sensation of pounding the ball with this racquet.
I'm really satisfied, but can't help thinking that the K-six.one 95 (16x18) could've worked just as well. IMO, they play very similarly, the Wilson just weighs .5 oz more and is a little more HL.

Anyone else share the thought that the K-six one 95 plays like the PST?

Harry24
08-08-2008, 07:38 PM
Harry, can you give a comparison of the APDC, pure storm and pure storm tour? I loved hitting with the APDC - its spin, directional control, and power were amazing. However, the power was a little too high and I had trouble volleying and serving with it. Any recommendations?
I would suggest the aero storm tour it has alot more control. Or the pure storm tour. The pure storm is too light for me.

PED
08-08-2008, 07:46 PM
JDLEE, I agree with you on the k6-1. I demoed that one as well. I liked the little bit lighter weight of the PST for me. 12 oz seems optimal. Also, I felt like I could consistently whip around the PST as opposed to the k6-1. I really like the wilson too, but the PST seemed to suit my style more. I think the end result is the same on those 2 sticks, it's just a slightly different interpretation. Hard to go wrong either way.

I know that the BBO/X1 is awesome in that stick. You should be getting some great pocketing from that setup. What tension did you go with?

tennis_hand
08-09-2008, 08:18 AM
Hit another 2 hours to get used to the PST today.

Better result!

Have found my forehand, not longer flying longer. And now I can really target corners with pace. It's just so easy to hit a huge shot with this racket. You don't have to sacrifice the whole body strength to hit that sort of shot, as compared to my old prostaff.

Also found my 1HBH slightly, but still needs time to improve. I hit an amazing cross court backhand pass with great pace today, so I guess my backhand is almost back.

The worst shot is my slice. Now it either flies skyhight out or becomes a drop shot. I think it is because of the lighter weight compared to my previous 6.0 95. I just chopped it too fast.

still finding my consistent first serve. it is ok now, but not very consistent. 2nd serve has much more top spin now. I can really see the arc of my second serve dropping to the court.

One thing I noticed of this racket is, when you hit the sweet spot with force, the sound is so loud. Not sure why, but it can certainly attract attention. :D

Harry24
08-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Hit another 2 hours to get used to the PST today.

Better result!

Have found my forehand, not longer flying longer. And now I can really target corners with pace. It's just so easy to hit a huge shot with this racket. You don't have to sacrifice the whole body strength to hit that sort of shot, as compared to my old prostaff.

Also found my 1HBH slightly, but still needs time to improve. I hit an amazing cross court backhand pass with great pace today, so I guess my backhand is almost back.

The worst shot is my slice. Now it either flies skyhight out or becomes a drop shot. I think it is because of the lighter weight compared to my previous 6.0 95. I just chopped it too fast.

still finding my consistent first serve. it is ok now, but not very consistent. 2nd serve has much more top spin now. I can really see the arc of my second serve dropping to the court.

One thing I noticed of this racket is, when you hit the sweet spot with force, the sound is so loud. Not sure why, but it can certainly attract attention. :D

This is sorta random but i also found the sweetspot to be "loud". As did I with the RQiS 1 Tour.:?

Ross K
08-10-2008, 12:46 AM
tennis-hand,

I agree with virtually everything you say in your mini-review and, especially what you say re difficulties with slice - it's my stand out worst shot with the PST (though I know I have some difficulties with this shot anyway.)

Harry, PED, others,

I posted up a thread some days ago (that received hardly any feedback) re ppls views on how to get the best out of Babs/the Woofer system. My thought being that Babs/the Woofer System calls for slightly different technique, or an emphasis on certain aspects, far more than other frames. Not everyone agrees with this, I'm sure. For me though, as an in and out Bab user of some years, it seems to me that mastery of the following is crucial...

. windshield wiper technique

. hitting at great pace (& really coming onto the shot)

. excellent topspin technique

. using a Semi-Western or (even better) a Western grip

It's not that mastery of such as the above isn't required with other racquets, it's just that I feel that Babolats punish you way more - and this is nowhere more evident than in the infamous 'control issues' that ppl (including me) have been citing since forever and a day.

Anyhow, does anyone have any additions to the list or further thoughts?

R.

tennis_hand
08-10-2008, 08:39 AM
I don't think u really need to change the grip type. To me, it is its balance. Now I have modifed the PST balance, making it more head light. Now I have much more control on my forehand side. No longer flying long.

The slice issue, I think is also due to its power. I found slice is best played with heavy and low powered racket. I always have had problems with lighter and power rackets. PST is not exactly light, but it is lighter than those I used before.

I played a set today, lost 5:7 due to loss of concentration, not the racket, and lost 4:7 in the 1st tiebreak. won the second one 7:3. I have found my game in the PST finally.

Its power is helpful. I played yesterday and today and i don't feel tired as I used to using the prostaff. and the big sweet spot can really whip some winners on the forehand side.

Ross K
08-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Now I have modifed the PST balance, making it more head light. Now I have much more control on my forehand side. No longer flying long.

Sorry if I missed this in an earlier post, but how exactly have you modified the PST balance? If you mean lead tape, how much and at what precise locations? Having myself experienced some initial flying long on the fh side, this is of interest to me.

Harry24
08-10-2008, 10:40 AM
tennis-hand,

I agree with virtually everything you say in your mini-review and, especially what you say re difficulties with slice - it's my stand out worst shot with the PST (though I know I have some difficulties with this shot anyway.)

Harry, PED, others,

I posted up a thread some days ago (that received hardly any feedback) re ppls views on how to get the best out of Babs/the Woofer system. My thought being that Babs/the Woofer System calls for slightly different technique, or an emphasis on certain aspects, far more than other frames. Not everyone agrees with this, I'm sure. For me though, as an in and out Bab user of some years, it seems to me that mastery of the following is crucial...

. windshield wiper technique

. hitting at great pace (& really coming onto the shot)

. excellent topspin technique

. using a Semi-Western or (even better) a Western grip

It's not that mastery of such as the above isn't required with other racquets, it's just that I feel that Babolats punish you way more - and this is nowhere more evident than in the infamous 'control issues' that ppl (including me) have been citing since forever and a day.

Anyhow, does anyone have any additions to the list or further thoughts?

R.

I agree with everything you said, babolats are just unique but in a good way. I disagree with the grip part as I use the bevel between eastern and semi, so Im not a "full" semi-western user. But maybe Im just weird ha. But I think I can use it with my grip because normally I dont get much topspin with my grip but with my APDC I get huge amounts of it.
On everything else I do agree, I definately have a windshield wiper forehand although I sometimes use a reverse follow-through on my forehand.

tennis_hand
08-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Sorry if I missed this in an earlier post, but how exactly have you modified the PST balance? If you mean lead tape, how much and at what precise locations? Having myself experienced some initial flying long on the fh side, this is of interest to me.

I changed it to a leather grip with 2 overgrips, because the grip size is small for me. No lead tapes. It should be about 8 or 9 points HL now.

It is about the same balance as my old racket is, so I feel comfortable with it now. In stock form, it is more Head heavy, and it explains why I always swing it long.

Magnus_CA
08-30-2008, 10:56 PM
Anyone else find this racquet underpowered? I also might of got a little too much feedback on a few swings. My demo was sporting some frayed 16g multifilament and lost some tension from heavy use. Not sure if it was the string or the racquet.

PED
08-31-2008, 05:23 AM
I think alot of the power level has to do with your swing style. I switched to my PST last year after using a PDR and the PST feel underpowered at first, but I've amped up my racquet head speed over the last year and my swing in general has gotten longer.

Now, the PST generates alot of weight in the shot and you can hit a really nasty heavy ball. I really can't imagine playing with anything else. The only thing I miss from the PDR is the oval head shape as the more rounded head makes it easy for swinging volleys but that's about it for me in the complaints department.

What stick were you using before? Don't feel bad, the PST does tend to fall in the love or hate category without much in between ;)

Mercury_J
09-09-2008, 11:03 AM
How do grip sizes on Babolats run? Im sure they're all the same, so not specifically the PST. Are they slightly larger, or smaller, then normal? And by normal Im sure you all know what I mean, if IM a 4 3/8, should I go a size up or down, or jsut stick to 3/8?

Thanks

PED
09-09-2008, 11:06 AM
People say they run bigger but I've heard people also say that the size on the PST is closer to normal. I would run by a local retailer and try out any Bab to see for yourself. I used to use a 3/8 but use a 1/4 in the PST but I wanted to drop in size for more wrist action, not because the grip was bigger.

Ross K
09-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Hi fellow PSTers,

Just to say I've had a bit of a quiet time in the last month but am now getting back into the groove with regular play and practice etc - and of course am wielding my PST with a full commitment to play solely with this frame (and this frame alone!)

And of my 2 sessions this week, I was once again just so impressed with the all round performance of the frame... as I've said a few times before, the control and touch is just so much better IMO than other Bab frames of my acquaintance (PD+, PDR, Pure Control)... and yet also the way this thing serves and booms out the groundies is pretty damn, er, persuasive... no... I thank my lucky stars I came across this frame...

Anyway. How are you all playing with your PST's at present?... Learnt anything over the summer about how to bring out the best with it?... Any gripes?... tips?... lead tape discoveries?... etc.

R.

PED
09-10-2008, 05:34 AM
I've just been playing along and still toying with string. I'm down to 2 "go to" setups at present: ALU power like your's Ross and BBO. I usually prefer alu power rough but they were out and I went with just the normal alu power and I like it just as much. I'm curious to see how long it lasts.

My BBO went mushy yesterday and I've got some spare cyber power laying around that I'm going to hybrid with CF crosses. I used that combo this summer and it was quite nice. You ought to consider that one Ross.

One last possible combo is thanks to my man KCRAIG's influence is trying out a full job of X1 in the PST. I tried full NRG back in the summer and thought it was too mushy but I strung it at 57 so that was likely too low. If I go the X1 route, I'll do it at 60/58.

Ross C
09-10-2008, 07:42 AM
I'm new to posting here but have had a summer (or so called summer here in England) of choosing a new racquet and have arrived at a choice of two;

Babolat Pure Storm Tour
Prince Speedport Tour (ports and string inserts both tested, ports better)

So far I like both for all round play, perhaps the SPT having the edge over the PST on serving and topspin generation while the PST has the edge on serve returns and volleys (just). I find the SPT is better with the port inserts but feels a little mushy compared to the PST but I can generate more speed with the SPT than the PST. Whilst the PST feels/sounds a little hollow sometimes and occasionaly I don't seem to get the accuracy I expect. All of this of course doesn't allow for my own variability in play!

Anyone else tested both and agree/disagree? (Tested a few others out too, my thoughts were, for those interested;

Head microgel Prestige MP and Pro - both too low powered
Babolat Pure Drive Rod - didn't like the feel at all
Dunlop 300 - too light, as was the Yonex RDS002
Wilson K-Blade98 not bad but SPT and PST better
Yonex RQiS1 was too low powered and the RDS001MP probably the best of the rest.

Did I miss any other good racquets worth a hit?

Ross K
09-12-2008, 01:50 PM
From one Ross to another,

It simply sounds like you're very 'into' the Prince stick and therefore you should stick with the Speedport. It's all so subjective and down to personal taste anyway. FWIW though, I agree the PST sometimes feels a tad lively and not quite as accurate as some... if I was being very, very picky I might even see something in your remark re the PST's hollow feel/sound... however, for me, its numerous qualities more than make up for these negatives.

Now... about 'any other good racquets worth a hit'?... Er... let's just say, if you stick around these boards long enough, I'm fairly certain you'll find out about plenty of frames you'll be curious to check out.

Hope you find 'the one'... I have! :wink:

R.

PED
09-12-2008, 01:59 PM
I think you are both right on the accuracy issue of the PST. I guess I just try to use enough spin to give me a margin for error. I never could come to grips with the Prince 0 technology. We had an 03 tour for a while and I couldn't make it work for me. The best setup I ever had in it was straight syn gut. I got good spin out of it from full PHT but I didn't care for the feel.

I never tried the RQS1 Yonex. Is it a lot lower powered than the PST?

You also might want to try out the new tecnifibres. The specs look really nice on them and the graphics look cool as well.

Ross K, BTW, I'm really proud of you. You really have stuck with the PST and I'm glad it's working out for you :) I'm ok for now, it's next year when all the new models come out that I will be looking to "stray".

Ross C
09-14-2008, 05:06 PM
Well, after a good weekend of weather I played quite a bit, and exclusively, with the PST - and seem to have sorted out the serving (my biggest concern before) and am finding more spin too...

I think that having tested quite a few frames out this summer that I've not spent long enough with the ones I like, rather spending time dismissing the ones I didn't, and all that time the Prince was my favourite. Came to the PST late in the process, and having spent more time with it this week it's really grown on me. Question now is - do I stay with it or do a back-to-back with the SPT?

PED - the RQiS1 really did feel low powered, probably the lowest of all of the frames I've tried, lower than the Prestiges and a way below the PST certainly. Never felt I could find consistency with it. Both the RDS's were better in my opinion.

PED
09-14-2008, 05:15 PM
I would do a back to back with the SPT. That's what I did last year, and either way-you find out the answer to which one you prefer. I find that the longer I play with the PST, the more I like it. I used to do quite a bit of switching around myself and I think my stroke consistency suffered. The SPT is really nice as well.

KOtennis
09-15-2008, 12:09 AM
i recently started playing with the PST, switched from Kblade Tour about 3 weeks ago.

the muted, old school feel was what i liked to start off with.

Serves were accurate, flat, slice or kick serves.

on groudies, i was hitting long a lot not because of the racquet power level, but because of the balance being different than the KBT.

on vollies i was hitting most of them short. not as crisp as i would like.

So i tweaked the PST by adding 4x 4-inch lead tape on the handle (under the grip and overgrip).
now it's probably 7-9 pts HL. @ 12.30 oz

took it out for another test and it played beautifully.
now the balls are not sailing long, vollies were crisper and deep.

I like the precision and crispness of the KBT.
but overall i prefer the PST because of more spin, the muted/soft feel, and a little more pop.

however, i wish i can hit kick serves with the PST like i do with the APDC.

maybe i will try Luxilon Ace 112 on the mains and Head PPS 18 on cross next time.

right now my set up is Luxilon 16 rough on main @ 58 lbs, and Head PPS 17 on cross at 61 lbs.

Lendl
09-15-2008, 05:36 PM
I think I'm going to give this racket a go. Tested a demo tonight with my son and it felt very good. I'm currently using the PDR and I think I got one grip size too large and that combined with the stiffness has wreaked havoc on my elbow.

Using this PST tonight felt like a noodle compared to the PDR. Was nice taking some big cuts and it having good control. Definitely less power than the PDR and suits my game better I think.

I'll update after I get some of these and play some actual matches.

Ross K
09-16-2008, 11:26 PM
To all PSTers,

Any experiences and opinions re lead tape and the PST? I'm keen to hear about it! Plus also, specifically, anyone have a view on LT at the 2 and 10 O'clock locations?

KOtennis,

Could you possibly further describe its performance (pros and cons) with LT all over the handle?

R.

KOtennis
09-17-2008, 12:14 AM
Ross K,

i prefer head light balance (about 8-10 pt.) on my racquets since i play mostly doubles and volly quite a bit.

for me personally, there arent "cons" for adding lead tape to the handle to make the racquet to my preferred specification.

I find that when i hit with racquets close to balance, or even head heavy. ALL my shots are out of wack.

i just bought another PST today.
I added the same amount of lead tape on the handle.
the new PST is now at 12.30 oz and about 10 pts head light.

i tried a different string set up with this new PST.
Luxilon Ace 112 (18 gauge) on the mains @ 61 lbs and head PPS 18 on cross @ 64lbs.

This is the exact same string set up i had on my K Blade Tour.

i LOVE this set up.
played 2 sets tonight and it felt great.
i will be cutting the other PST's string to change it to this set up.

i get more bite and spin on the balls with 18 gauge strings.

SlapShot
09-17-2008, 05:50 AM
I have one PST in my posession, and have two more in the mail set to arrive today. I don't know that I'm going to make a full switch from my FXP Prestiges, but I'm debating it.

The one that I have came strung with Head RIP Control at what I'd guess was 56# or so. That's a bit softer than I usually set up my own frames, but I figured I'd give it a shot. I wasn't overly wowed by the string setup, but the frame itself feels like it could be a gem (just like I remembered from my demo of it last winter). My favorite part of the frame is the volleys - angles are easy to come by, and it's got lots of nice stick. I only hit a couple of serves, and my timing was so far out of whack that I'm not going to report on that until I get my serve grooved a bit. I'm excited to be using a 16 main pattern frame again - the 18 main is great, but when I'm tired, I can miss and miss a lot.

It didn't quite have the solid power of my Prestiges, but we'll see if a string change can help that a bit (my Prestiges are also tanks at 12.6 strung).

I'll update as I play more with it. I've got mixed doubles tonight, so I can report back after an actual match.

PED
09-17-2008, 10:02 AM
KO Tennis, I tried some lead on the handle of my PST as well when I first got it but ended up taking it off as it seemed to really deaden the feel. Did you notice this at all?

Ross, I've also tried 3g at the tip in the PST but ended up taking that off as well. Mine weight 12.1 strung and I like using my stick speed to generate a nastier shot. The lead didn't slow it down much and I'm sure I could adapt to it but mine works better for me "naked". LOL.

Thanks for this thread, lots of good info on an underappreciated stick.

KOtennis
09-17-2008, 11:37 AM
PED,
for me the lead tape on the handle works fine.
no issues with the feel of the racquet.

the pro shop i go to told me that Babolat grips run a little bigger.
so i bought the PSTs in 4 1/4.
after adding the lead tape, grip, then Yonex overgrip. it is close to 4 3/8

Ross K
09-17-2008, 12:49 PM
Cheers guys ^,

Well, after today's match I'm not so sure I need to go down the LT route. I'm so liking what I can only describe as the distinctive sniper's pop of this frame, as well as the topspin I'm finding on groundies (incidentally, one major factor in coming back to the Babs was a desire to hit with heavy topspin), I'm not sure I want to tamper with it now. I think my instinct is simply to stay with this great rod and get completely familiar with it - in stock form - and learn to unlock all its potential. Basically, it still is early days and I feel I'm only just beginning to get to know the PST (for example, as regards the backhand slice and the serve, I've still a load more familiarizing to go), so... maybe the lead tape experiments can wait.

R.

PED
09-17-2008, 03:52 PM
^^If it's working well, then I agree, leave it stock. That's the conclusion I came to on mine. BH slice is really nice with this stick.

KOtennis
09-17-2008, 05:19 PM
i agree, i love hitting bh slices with this stick.

also, flat first serves are a JOY to hit.

the only other racquet that can do the same on flat serves (for me) is Kblade Tour.

StealthGnome
09-17-2008, 11:08 PM
Egh. The popularity of the Pure Storm Tour are killing the prices.

$110-120 shipped is too much for a HS student. lol

SlapShot
09-18-2008, 05:49 AM
Used my new PST in a mixed doubles match last night. Everything was really solid - I felt a bit better about it than I did Tuesday night. Serves were good - I need to adjust a bit more, but flat serves had some serious heat and kickers were jumping nicely. Groundies were really solid - I was able to make the ball dip really well. I'm looking forward to trying a poly hybrid on this frame - right now, it feels like a keeper.

Ross C
09-18-2008, 06:13 AM
So...count me in - decided I'd stick with the Pure Storm Tour over the Speedport Tour and picked up my new racquet today...now time (and technique) will tell if chose correctly between these two excellent racquets!

PED
09-18-2008, 06:19 AM
Slapshot, what strings were you using last night? Poly hybrids work great in that stick and full poly is nice as well since the PST is so soft. I've been using full ALU or BBO and that's really nice.

Ross C. I think you will be glad you took the PST. The SP Tour is a nice stick but I like the really sold feeling of the PST and believe me, it only gets better with time.

SlapShot
09-18-2008, 06:30 AM
Slapshot, what strings were you using last night? Poly hybrids work great in that stick and full poly is nice as well since the PST is so soft. I've been using full ALU or BBO and that's really nice.

It came strung with Head RIP Control, and that's just a bit too soft for my tastes. I've got a couple of sets of Big Ace 17, and a set of Luxilon BB Ace that might do well in there.

I'm also going to try gut at a high tension, as I have a set of Klip Legend that hasn't been opened yet.

KOtennis
09-18-2008, 09:38 AM
quick questions u guys.
i noticed that i can find the Pure Storm out there a lot.
but the PST is much harder to locate.
i got mine at the pro shop my old coach owned around my area.
they didnt even have it at one of the biggest tennis gear shops here in So Cal.

is it the same for you guys?

SlapShot
09-22-2008, 12:17 PM
I'm sold on the PST. I had 4 matches this weekend, and played with the PST the whole time. I don't know that I've served better over a stretch of matches than I did this weekend - kickers were really jumping, my usual hybrid had some real heat on it, and my flat serves were bombs.

The two frames I was rotating were strung with Kirschbaum Proline II, and I love the feel, but not the tension loss. Now to experiment with strings. ;)

Ross K
09-22-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm sold on the PST. I had 4 matches this weekend, and played with the PST the whole time. I don't know that I've served better over a stretch of matches than I did this weekend - kickers were really jumping, my usual hybrid had some real heat on it, and my flat serves were bombs.

The two frames I was rotating were strung with Kirschbaum Proline II, and I love the feel, but not the tension loss. Now to experiment with strings. ;)

Nice to hear of another convert! And good to hear of the success you're having with it when serving.

As for myself during the last week or so, well, actually, for some reason, my serve seems to have stopped being quite so effective (I'm getting not much of either flat bombs or jumping kickers... I know it's me experiencing technical difficulties though and not the frame...) On the plus side of things however, groundies just keep getting better and better (my fave shot incidentally is my inside-out fh which really is pretty bloody awesome with this rod), and I love it that as well as having such access to spin and booming, deep, penetrative g/strokes, you can also go more all court and volley, drop shot, etc with this racket.

A further thought: for me at any rate, it's taking a while to fully get acclimatized as it were to the frame, but it's definitely worth the effort.

R.

TennisProdigy
09-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Hey pst users, i thought id chip in since i have 8 all strung with alu power mains 56 tonic crosses 58 grip 4 wilson pro overgrip no dampener

i upgraded to this from my pure storm teams which all broke (had 2). Obviously i plan to use these for the rest of my life. i liked how this racquet was solid in all areas.

groundstrokes have nice control and spin and i get as much power as i put into the shot, which translates to pinpoint control.

serves are good as well, surprising pop on flat bombs, and massive spin on both slice and kick serves, mainly due to poly mains.

volleys are more stable compared to my old racquet and drop volleys as well as angled volleys are a breeze with proper technique

my favorite attribute of this racquet is that it has improved what was already the best part of my game, returns. With the pure storm team, i would never miss a return and simply block it to either corner depending on my will. Now, I shorten my backswing and can add topspin and pace to the return which allows for better angles and more pace. Due to the added stability of the racquet, i can return any serve with confidence, power, spin, and placement.

Hueco514
09-22-2008, 03:18 PM
I've just gotten a Pure Storm Tour, after a month or two of contemplating whether to get it. I've kept tabs on this thread and read about your experiences and my first experience was much of the same.

Like some of you have mentioned, the response is muted with this racquet, and it really isn't a problem, it's just I'm used to the loud noise I get from my n95's. I will say it feels a lot more control oriented then my n95's, and substantially weaker, and applying Big Banger Originals makes me really need to use all my power on my shots. Being a flat hitter myself, I felt this racquet hit nice, what I feel I will have to get used to is getting accustomed to the swing weight...it felt heavier than my n95's which was definitely something I wasn't expecting. Other than that it did not feel that heavy, and it worked well. I've heard about serving bombs with it, and I feel if I get used to the balance, that won't be a problem since I have a pretty reliable flat serve with my signature racquet.

Backhand will probably need some work, I'm not especially strong there. Are slices really that difficult with this racquet? I have a very second-nature backhand slice and I wonder if it will suffer with this stick?

Lendl
09-22-2008, 03:54 PM
I got mine on Saturday and played three sets this morning and they are solid. Very arm friendly but really light, added some lead tape at 3:00 and 9:00 and will play again tomorrow to test.

I played a friend that is demoing a variety of rackets and he used one of my PST for the last set and is sold on it and says he is going to pick some up.

I really like the racket, arm friendly and an overall solid racket.

PED
09-22-2008, 04:29 PM
Random question but has anyone with a PST tried out the storm limited. I swung one in the store the other day and was interested and was curious to how it performs with the PST.

Hueco, if you drop the tension to 55 or so with the BBO, your power will go up nicely without really any drop in control. I do mine at either 55/52 or 53/52 with the lux strings.

Regarding BH's, I've got some X1 in one of mine right now and I usually use a 2hbh but the extra pop from the X1 makes the one hander a nice option to have. The multi really adds to the feel and my BH slice is better with it as well. I still don't know which way I'll go in the end-full multi or full poly. I'll have to see how long the multi lasts.

Hueco514
09-22-2008, 05:18 PM
Random question but has anyone with a PST tried out the storm limited. I swung one in the store the other day and was interested and was curious to how it performs with the PST.

Hueco, if you drop the tension to 55 or so with the BBO, your power will go up nicely without really any drop in control. I do mine at either 55/52 or 53/52 with the lux strings.

Regarding BH's, I've got some X1 in one of mine right now and I usually use a 2hbh but the extra pop from the X1 makes the one hander a nice option to have. The multi really adds to the feel and my BH slice is better with it as well. I still don't know which way I'll go in the end-full multi or full poly. I'll have to see how long the multi lasts.

PED, I'm glad you think the 55 tension will give me more pop, because that's exactly what I was going for when I strung it (see signature), as it would probably be with less pop if I had kept it at the same tensions as my n95's at 57. Big Bangers lose their tensions quickly, not that they live long anyway. I went for more control and so far, don't regret the idea.

But when I played with it, yeah, main concern was swingweight. I dunno if it really makes that much of a difference, or if it's just me, but my n95's are supposed to be heavier I am sure, and I don't seem to have that problem. Probably just the overall balance, as they differ in their headlight spec (PST at 6, n95 at 10)

But I got to say, I love the cosmetics. It plays just how it appears: Beautifully.

PED
09-23-2008, 04:12 AM
I think it probably is just the balance. You'll get used to the SW of the PST in no time at all though it is a bit heavy at first.

SlapShot
09-23-2008, 05:45 AM

I demo'd it since I used to swing a FXP Prestige and really dug the PST when I demo'd that. I wasn't overly impressed - it really lacked a lot of pop, even when compared to the Prestige, despite the molds being identical.

PED
09-23-2008, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the info, I was not too wild about the tight string pattern and you confirmed what I feared.

KOtennis
09-24-2008, 12:50 AM
hi guys,
i m getting really comfortable playing with the PST.
have 2 now, will probably get 2 more this month.
definitely a keeper.

got a questions regarding string set up.

i now use Luxilon Ace 112 (@59 lbs) on main and Head syn gut 18 (@ 61 lbs) on cross.

i would like to get more bite and spin on my kick serves.
any recommendations?

yes i know it's more about techniques, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

KOtennis
09-25-2008, 05:43 PM
hey guys,

took my 2 PSTs to get customized to the exact same specs.

now they both are at 12.165 oz (with Yonex super grap) and swing weight of 326. forgot to ask about balance...

PED
09-25-2008, 07:25 PM
That sounds about dead on-I've got about 1g difference between the 2 of mine when they are strung up identical.

Right now I have full poly in one and full multi in the other. They weigh almost the same but the multi "feels" that little bit lighter.

I wonder why the SW is only 326 on yours KO. I've never checked the SW on mine-stock is supposed to be 333 I think. Thanks for the info :)

KOtennis
09-26-2008, 11:42 AM
PED,

i added 4x 4-inch long lead tape in the handle.

more HL :)

SwissServe
09-26-2008, 04:36 PM
I own 3 of PST sticks and tried many strings (X-One Biphase, VS Team/Alu Power, Red Code, Optic Nerve etc.), suffered under arm pain from a few of them.

For me SPPP 1.23 strung with 24(mains)/25(crosses) kp is only one thing: AWESOME!!! No pain, maximum in precision, still enough power and a good touch.... No wishes anymore ;)

PED
09-26-2008, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the heads up, Swiss. I've played with SPPP in the 1.18 and liked it and have always wanted to give the 1.23 a go. I find I like the thicker strings in the PST.

I've been playing with full X1 this week and against bigger hitters, it did not give me the control that I needed. I comped it back to back with my full ALU and I found that I really preferred the full poly.

I cut out the X1 today and am going with one of my fav setups from the summer: cyberpower 1.30 mains at 54 and cyberflash 1.25 crosses at 51. Can't wait to give it shot tomorrow-hopefully the rain stays away.

Swissserve, how many months of the year does the weather allow you to play outdoors and do you play indoors in the winter...just curious. I've not been to switzerland in a few years and always loved visiting there :)

Lendl
09-26-2008, 04:57 PM
I'm just not feeling it with mine thus far. If anyone here is interested in some 4 3/8 in very lightly used condition let me know.

StealthGnome
09-26-2008, 05:59 PM
Emailed you Lendl.

HEAD/PRINCE RULE
09-26-2008, 06:44 PM
Hey everyone i have been playing with the pst at group clinics and i am blown away by this stick. Like people say the serves are huge, including kickers and you just rip the ball. Volleys are good but i can't dial in yet. I must say slices are hard to find the groove. I think this such a great stick and i plan on picking it up ( if the rds001mp doesn't sway me). Quick question what is a good string setup, is x1 and redcode a good choice.

aaron 3000
09-26-2008, 09:28 PM
Hey everyone i have been playing with the pst at group clinics and i am blown away by this stick. Like people say the serves are huge, including kickers and you just rip the ball. Volleys are good but i can't dial in yet. I must say slices are hard to find the groove. I think this such a great stick and i plan on picking it up ( if the rds001mp doesn't sway me). Quick question what is a good string setup, is x1 and redcode a good choice.

i have a full x1 16 red setup and the ball FLIES off the racquet. its a great string but the only downside is that theres so much string movement, at least for me there is. cant comment on the redcode though, never used it.

oh yea, btw, a full red string setup looks sweet on the PST.

ClubHoUno
09-26-2008, 10:48 PM
i have a full x1 16 red setup and the ball FLIES off the racquet. its a great string but the only downside is that theres so much string movement, at least for me there is. cant comment on the redcode though, never used it.

oh yea, btw, a full red string setup looks sweet on the PST.

Use string savers to avoid excessive string movement............Babolat Elastocross string savers are the best :D

PED
09-27-2008, 06:16 AM

The X1/Redcode should be a nice setup. I think the PST plays better (for me at least) with some poly in there. I did X1/cyberflash and it was a great setup. The redcode is even stiffer than the CF but would work well with the softer X1. I think you can get away with stiffer strings in the PST since the overall flex is so soft.

How do you like that K Gut? I've got a set here to try, I think I'm going to hybrid it with some CF crosses.

tennis_hand
09-27-2008, 06:40 AM
Anyone else find this racquet underpowered? I also might of got a little too much feedback on a few swings. My demo was sporting some frayed 16g multifilament and lost some tension from heavy use. Not sure if it was the string or the racquet.

depends on where you come from.

I used to use Prostaff 6.0 95, and PST is more powerful than that. For me, in a good way though.

tennis_hand
09-27-2008, 06:40 AM
How do grip sizes on Babolats run? Im sure they're all the same, so not specifically the PST. Are they slightly larger, or smaller, then normal? And by normal Im sure you all know what I mean, if IM a 4 3/8, should I go a size up or down, or jsut stick to 3/8?

Thanks

stick to 4 3/8.

tennis_hand
09-27-2008, 06:44 AM
To all PSTers,

Any experiences and opinions re lead tape and the PST? I'm keen to hear about it! Plus also, specifically, anyone have a view on LT at the 2 and 10 O'clock locations?

KOtennis,

Could you possibly further describe its performance (pros and cons) with LT all over the handle?

R.

no. default racket with a leather grip is the best balance I can find. :D

tennis_hand
09-27-2008, 06:47 AM

definitely. My serve is my biggest improvement with this racket. of course, the spin on the forehand is also better to cut acute angles.

tennis_hand
09-27-2008, 07:03 AM

I think all of us here have the same feedback. :)
The slice is difficult to find because of its power, I think. It usually becomes a floater. A quick fix is to close the racket head more, but u still have to find your own fix.

Ross K
09-27-2008, 09:58 AM
Sorry to kind of go over old ground here but...

In ppls opinions what effect would relatively small amounts of lead tape at the 2 and 10 o'clock positions have on the performance of the PST? What might I expect? Even more power on the serve? Higher SW? A more sluggish frame to swing?

Cheers

R.

nCode747
09-27-2008, 10:03 AM
how about he pure storm ltd. how does it compare to the PST

SwissServe
09-27-2008, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the heads up, Swiss. I've played with SPPP in the 1.18 and liked it and have always wanted to give the 1.23 a go. I find I like the thicker strings in the PST.

I've been playing with full X1 this week and against bigger hitters, it did not give me the control that I needed. I comped it back to back with my full ALU and I found that I really preferred the full poly.

I cut out the X1 today and am going with one of my fav setups from the summer: cyberpower 1.30 mains at 54 and cyberflash 1.25 crosses at 51. Can't wait to give it shot tomorrow-hopefully the rain stays away.

Swissserve, how many months of the year does the weather allow you to play outdoors and do you play indoors in the winter...just curious. I've not been to switzerland in a few years and always loved visiting there :)

Hi PED! I never had a string job with a diameter less than 1.23 I think :)
Same here, I did not get enough precision with a full multi... Although I like the X1 (on other rackets) very much. I was scared of a full poly string first, but than I have appreciated the control level! Awesome this precision... Topspin strings are great too - I have one racquet strung with Cyberflash (not that powerfull imo) in my bag, just in case I would need more power from the stringbed during a match...

I think in the better case we are able to play outdoor from mid of April till end of September (or latest mid of October). But I have switched to indoor courts recently, as upcoming tournaments will be indoors... But I like to play indoor, b/c the faster courts comparing to clay ;)
Yeah, Switzerland (especially Zurich hehehe) is always a visit worth :) Let me know if you come over and let's go for an indoor session!

PED
09-27-2008, 05:21 PM
Even more power on the serve? Higher SW? A more sluggish frame to swing?
R.

Ross, I think you'll get all of the above...The SW is not that much higher unless you put a large amount on the head. You will get some additional pop on the serve. I think I could get used to having some lead at the top of the hoop but I like that lighter feeling of really fast racquet head speed to generate just that extra little bit of spin and control. I played around a little today with an MG Prestige Mid and it really came around nicely-you could really paste the ball with it.

In the end, it's all personal taste, one thing I will caution you on is that the paint on the PST is VERY soft-I've got a nasty bald spot on mine where I took the lead off and I was very careful about it. I've never had that issue before on any of my sticks so keep that in mind.

Ross K
09-28-2008, 01:07 AM
Ross, I think you'll get all of the above...The SW is not that much higher unless you put a large amount on the head. You will get some additional pop on the serve. I think I could get used to having some lead at the top of the hoop but I like that lighter feeling of really fast racquet head speed to generate just that extra little bit of spin and control. I played around a little today with an MG Prestige Mid and it really came around nicely-you could really paste the ball with it.

In the end, it's all personal taste, one thing I will caution you on is that the paint on the PST is VERY soft-I've got a nasty bald spot on mine where I took the lead off and I was very careful about it. I've never had that issue before on any of my sticks so keep that in mind.

Cheers for that. Simply because I'm so curious, I think I'll just have to give it a go next week.

R.

Hueco514
09-29-2008, 01:44 AM
I just got back about an hour ago from a hitting session, and I tried the Pure Storm Tour for about the 3rd or 4th time.

And I can only say that I was amazed. I finally got into a groove with it and boy was I on. I don't think I've hit that good in a long time. Everything was easier, everything was perfectly placed, and with pace. I took the newest of n95's out for some hitting just to get acquainted with it, and it played fine (I'm very familiar with this stick). About 30 minutes into hitting, I decided to go for it again with my new Pure Storm Tour, and I can only say wow.

Everything went right. My forehands were deep and penetrating. Topspin or flat, it was easy. Even my backhand, the worst part of my game, was aggressive. I attacked with my backhand, and let me tell you that doesn't happen much with me! My slice was on consistently. The most surprising part was my serves, because I was serving bombs. When reading the review on TW, I was weary that this stick might rely too much on my power, but it was so easy and enjoyable, that I didn't pay it any attention.

What I loved about it the most was the amount of control I had with it. Lowering the tension on this baby to 55 seems like a great decision because I get just the right amount of pop I need. Everything else lies with me, and being on tonight really showed how amazing this stick really is. I put the ball wherever I wanted on the court. I played some of my best, most consistent tennis I had with it tonight!

My only regret is that I cannot get another one, due to the fact that I've spent enough money on tennis over the last few months, and I'm on a tight budget. But simply put, this racquet is crazy good.

KOtennis
09-29-2008, 07:51 PM
curious,

some of you have trouble with bh slice using PST.
but for me, bh slice is the easiest and deadliest while using this racquet. beside the flat serves. :)

i can honest say that the only other 2 racquets that i can hit as good bh slices are AeroPro and K90.

by the way, just picked up a 3rd PST with 4 1/4.
plan to stick with this baby for a while.

dgoran
09-30-2008, 11:09 AM
Just wanted to let you guys know that my 2 PST are back on the market and freshly restrung (one with Tonic natural gut at 65lb) other with SPPP isospeed pro multi hybrid at 65lb.

9/10

$130 shipped for PST w gut (no cover)
$125 shipped for PST w SPPP hybrid (w cover)

Pix
http://picasaweb.google.com/gdraskovic/PST#

SlapShot
09-30-2008, 11:55 AM
I tried out a set of Luxilon BBO crossed with PSGD last night (55 on the lux, 58 on the PSGD), and I think I might have found the setup. I had lots of control - provided it doesn't lose tension like mad, this may be a mean setup.

Hueco514
09-30-2008, 03:42 PM
I tried out a set of Luxilon BBO crossed with PSGD last night (55 on the lux, 58 on the PSGD), and I think I might have found the setup. I had lots of control - provided it doesn't lose tension like mad, this may be a mean setup.

I don't do hybrids, but the Luxilon BBO @ 55 seems about right for me too. Just the right amount of pop and control.

Ross K
10-01-2008, 03:27 AM
SlapShot, Hueco, other PSTers,

Could someone please tell me how Lux BBO compares to Lux Alu Power in the PST?

Thanks

R.

Hueco514
10-01-2008, 03:32 AM
SlapShot, Hueco, other PSTers,

Could someone please tell me how Lux BBO compares to Lux Alu Power in the PST?

Thanks

R.

Ross, well I can't tell you how the Lux Alu Power feel on the PST because I've only used BBO on mine. What I can tell you about how the BBO on the PST is that it certainly has lots of feel and control. My stringer suggested lowering the tension down to 55 on my PST due to the fact that the stick is a control racquet, and the Lux BBO are more control than anything (and longevity). At 55, I feel I can get the right amount of pop from the racquet, as well as a sufficient amount of control.

It's a crisp feel, the sound is muted but that's normal. I can really plow through the ball with this setup and still get the ball with sufficient amount of topspin, as well as flat winners when I need them. I can safely say that I don't regret getting the BBO on it, and I'm guessing if you have Alu Power, you'd be getting even more topspin from the 16 x 20 pattern.

Ross K
10-01-2008, 04:54 AM
Hueco,

Cheers for that ^. I confess I'm not so expert regarding strings and tensions etc. BTW, I should say I am very happy with the Alu Power (and you're right about it assisting with good topspin capacity.) Still, I was curious to hear how BBO compares.

R.

PED
10-01-2008, 05:43 AM
I've got ALU in my PST at the moment but that's just because I got a great deal on some. However, after my supply runs out I'll be back to using BBO. I think the BBO is a match for the ALU in every category except that the ALU has that extra "POP". Control, comfort, and spin are all top notch in BBO but what seals the deal for me is that BBO holds tension for much longer than ALU.

I love the lux strings and think they are the best but when ALU loses that elasticity, you end up swinging much harder to make up the difference (or at least I do) and the effectiveness goes down.

One final thought, in my 2nd PST, I using the hybrid of CyberPower 1.30 mains crossed with CyberFlash. It's a good combo as well and cheaper than Lux but it's lacking a little in the spin department and but the CP mains give some good pop. If you're looking to save some coin, it's not a bad place to go.

Cham6
10-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Anyone tried the Pure Strom 2008? I was very satisfied with Pure Storm Tour Plus, but now looking for information on the PST 2008.

PED
10-01-2008, 02:16 PM
^^Do you mean the AeroStorm 2008? I've never heard of a Pure storm 2008, but I'm often wrong ;)

The Aerostorm shares the same head with the PST but plays nothing at all like the PST. There is a lot of weight in the throat area of the Aerostorm Tour which makes it swing very heavily. I did not care much for it at all but my son uses one and loves it.

aaron 3000
10-01-2008, 03:18 PM
is the pure control team the older version of the pure storm tour? in other words, is the PST a direct descendant of the pure control team?

because theres a few pure control team racquets on sale for $140 at the g0lfsmith by me. i want to pick one up as a back up to my PST.

Hueco514
10-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Hueco,

Cheers for that ^. I confess I'm not so expert regarding strings and tensions etc. BTW, I should say I am very happy with the Alu Power (and you're right about it assisting with good topspin capacity.) Still, I was curious to hear how BBO compares.

R.

Yeah Ross, I'd say Alu Power is great for topspin, as my friend uses them on his Aero Pro Drive and achieves massive kick. But yeah, either Lux Big Banger Original or Alu Power seem like prime choices for a stick such as this.

SlapShot
10-02-2008, 05:56 AM
is the pure control team the older version of the pure storm tour? in other words, is the PST a direct descendant of the pure control team?

because theres a few pure control team racquets on sale for $140 at the g0lfsmith by me. i want to pick one up as a back up to my PST.

They're a different frame - same niche market, but completely different feel. I picked up a pair of PCT's after I demoed the PST and didn't want to drop the cash on them, figuring that the ride would be similar. The PCT is stiffer and swings differently. Similar, but different enough that I'd stick with the PST if I needed a backup.

Ross K
10-02-2008, 06:50 AM
PSTers,

Interesting topic developing here (cheers to aaron and Slapshot.) The logical Q that therefore arises is one that I've actually been wondering about myself for a little while...

Which other frame plays closest to the PST?

This is of considerable interest to me because I presently have just the one PST. And because I do a lot of tennis in a semi-coaching capacity ('coaching' would be overstating it I think ) with young children - and because I prefer to save that one PST for proper playing/practice/ matches, etc - I'd v/much like a frame that plays as similar as possible to my PST.

I should also say that I have quite a collection of other rackets from which perhaps I could choose (including maybe 4 different Bab sticks.) And also, I was using the obvious choice, the Pure Control for coaching, but started to feel arm and especially wrist pains. Plus also, TBH, no matter how much I've tried (and believe me I have) I really am not such a big fan of this rod with its lack of feel, touch and general unpredictibility.

Anyway, what frame do ppl think resembles the PST the most (and it needn't be a Bab of course)?

Cheers

R.

Ross K
10-02-2008, 06:54 AM
Aaron,

Just noticed your sig...

Funny because I too really like the i. Prestige MP and a few of those older Head frames (PT, Rad Tour, etc.) In fact, it was between the PST and i. Prestige when I decided that the former was the one that most suited me and could develop me in certain areas. Undoubtedly though, although entirely different, the i.p. is a special frame.

R.

SlapShot
10-02-2008, 07:16 AM
Honestly, the Fischer MComp heavier version plays similar, but is a little more flexible. The MPro swings a bit lighter, and is a lot softer.

aaron 3000
10-02-2008, 07:58 AM
Aaron,

Just noticed your sig...

Funny because I too really like the i. Prestige MP and a few of those older Head frames (PT, Rad Tour, etc.) In fact, it was between the PST and i. Prestige when I decided that the former was the one that most suited me and could develop me in certain areas. Undoubtedly though, although entirely different, the i.p. is a special frame.

R.

yeah i loved the i.prestige but because it was a 93 sq.in. it was way too demanding and unforgiving for me. im not quite at the level to be playing with such an advanced racquet which is why I switched over to the PST. hopefully one day, i'll be able to harness the i.p.

but yeah, basically I feel exactly as you do about the PST and i.prestige.

aaron 3000
10-02-2008, 08:01 AM
oh yes, thanks to slapshot's clarification, if the pure control team is different from the pure storm tour, which is a closer comparison to the PST: the aero storm or pure control team?

Mercury_J
10-02-2008, 08:35 AM
Has anyone tries the PST with a red code VS team hybrid? I've used something similar in other racquets, and was wondering how it would work in thsi one :) By november, I will be the proud owned..of one :( Better than nothing though :twisted:

Ross K
10-02-2008, 01:13 PM
Honestly, the Fischer MComp heavier version plays similar, but is a little more flexible. The MPro swings a bit lighter, and is a lot softer. Interesting. I don't know that rod, but I'm familiar with the older Fischer Pro No 1 320 (red and black Kelefnikov frame.) That though has a very low SW and is surely not very alike the PST?

Can anyone else think of a frame, Babs or indeed other makes, they think is similar to the PST?

SlapShot
10-02-2008, 01:20 PM
Interesting. I don't know that rod, but I'm familiar with the older Fischer Pro No 1 320 (red and black Kelefnikov frame.) That though has a very low SW and is surely not very alike the PST?

Can anyone else think of a frame, Babs or indeed other makes, they think is similar to the PST?

The MPro is descended of the old Pro No 1 - hence the low SW. The MComp is definitely the heavier swinging of the frames. I'm lucky enough to play with a guy who is a Fischer dealer, so I've swung pretty much everything they make for at least a game or two.

mawashi
10-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Interesting. I don't know that rod, but I'm familiar with the older Fischer Pro No 1 320 (red and black Kelefnikov frame.) That though has a very low SW and is surely not very alike the PST?

Hi Ross,

I'm curious why you just don't buy another PST if its the frame you prefer to play with all the time. I too have a whole bunch of frame, way too many and I've found my groove with the APDC and Custom vantage so I'm just going to sell the rest of them to make space for some new APDCs and Vantages?

I've found it a real pain to find something similar but just doesn't quite play the same as what I like.

Btw, if you're still asking bout similar frames based on specs alone, these seem rather similar.

Yonex RDS002Tour cept it's more HL and heavier
Dunlop AG200 has similar total weight cept it's lower in power, softer and the string patten doesn't give it the same spin as the PST
ProKennes Ki 5 too seems similar and it's really comfortable. It doesn't do anything particularly well but it's really comfortable.

Cheers,

mawashi
________
Vermont Medical Marijuana Dispensaries (http://vermont.dispensaries.org/)

Ross K
10-02-2008, 11:24 PM
mawashi,

I'm actually looking to buy another PST at this very moment. There's only been a delay because I don't like the rip off, sky-high, UK prices - if you don't know the UK, let me assure you tennis is a ridiculously pricey hobby to have here... grrrr!... Anyway, I prefer to buy through personal contacts and other outlets.

R.

BTW, Cheers for listing similar frames to the PST.

PED,

Curious to know if you have a view on frames that are similar to the PST (Babs or other brands)...?

R.

mawashi
10-03-2008, 12:40 AM
mawashi,

I'm actually looking to buy another PST at this very moment. There's only been a delay because I don't like the rip off, sky-high, UK prices - if you don't know the UK, let me assure you tennis is a ridiculously pricey hobby to have here... grrrr!... Anyway, I prefer to buy through personal contacts and other outlets.

R.

BTW, Cheers for listing similar frames to the PST.

PED,

Curious to know if you have a view on frames that are similar to the PST (Babs or other brands)...?

R.

Ahhhh, I see anyway here's something to cheer you up.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=224292&highlight=storm
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=224194&highlight=storm
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=217949&highlight=storm
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=224159&highlight=storm

mawashi... Eh LORD mawashi LOL!
________
Buy Bubblers (http://bubblers.net/)

PED
10-03-2008, 04:32 AM
Ross, I've found that there is nothing really out there by Bab or otherwise that plays like the PST. I think its the overall soft flex and the really soft head that sets it apart and these attributes combined with the woofer make it quite unique. I hit some the other day with a MG Prestige Mid that was quite nice. The flex ratings are the same at 63 but the Head played much stiffer than the Bab. I think its the soft Bab head that makes the difference.

mawashi
10-03-2008, 05:01 AM
Ross, I've found that there is nothing really out there by Bab or otherwise that plays like the PST. I think its the overall soft flex and the really soft head that sets it apart and these attributes combined with the woofer make it quite unique. I hit some the other day with a MG Prestige Mid that was quite nice. The flex ratings are the same at 63 but the Head played much stiffer than the Bab. I think its the soft Bab head that makes the difference.

I actually like the feel of a Yonex, the stiffness is rather deceiving as the throat flexes more than the frame so any Yonex really feels rather comfortable coupled with the huge sp, Yonexs are some of the most interesting fames abound.

If you can try out a RDS002Tour you'll be surprised.

Cheers,

mawashi

0d1n
10-03-2008, 05:41 AM

Quite sure it's the string pattern as well. 18x20's have a way of feeling stiffer than they really are (because the string bed is stiffer at similar reference tension).

StealthGnome
10-03-2008, 10:06 PM
Hurray! I have 2 Pure Storm Tours now. Back up frame!

Ross K
10-04-2008, 12:09 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen, I can report we finally have "lift off" with my slice!

Well, it has taken a little while, but yesterday one of my few small gripes was instantly erased when it all suddenly clicked into place as re the 1h bh slice. By about the 5th time I played the deadly outswinging, er, 'banana shot' :roll: , both my opponent (a regular playing partner) and myself realised that here was a new weapon...

All of which makes me think - it just goes to show what can happen when you don't switch rods too often and show some commitment and patience eh?

Right. Next up: drop shots... For some reason I haven't found the groove at all with droppers yet (which I ordinarily like to mix into proceeding every once and a while.) I'm continually overhitting it and the feel/judgement/precision/whatever just hasn't been there.... BTW, how about everyone else with this?

StealthGnome
10-04-2008, 10:58 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen, I can report we finally have "lift off" with my slice!

Well, it has taken a little while, but yesterday one of my few small gripes was instantly erased when it all suddenly clicked into place as re the 1h bh slice. By about the 5th time I played the deadly outswinging, er, 'banana shot' :roll: , both my opponent (a regular playing partner) and myself realised that here was a new weapon...

All of which makes me think - it just goes to show what can happen when you don't switch rods too often and show some commitment and patience eh?

Right. Next up: drop shots... For some reason I haven't found the groove at all with droppers yet (which I ordinarily like to mix into proceeding every once and a while.) I'm continually overhitting it and the feel/judgement/precision/whatever just hasn't been there.... BTW, how about everyone else with this?

I've been having trouble with slices in general. Do you have any tips?

Ross K
10-04-2008, 11:09 AM
I've been having trouble with slices in general. Do you have any tips?

For me, although I instantly really liked the frame and recognized straight off this was a real contender, so to speak, that's not the same thing as feeling I'd instantly mastered it. Such unique elements to the PST as the SW, the flex, the softish and muted feel, string, technique, the woofer even - all of these take a while to get familiar with. Therefore, my only tip is... keep at it and be patient.

paulmaben
10-04-2008, 11:33 AM
I've settled in to using the PST after short affairs with the PSLimited and Pure Drive. I dropped my string tension down to 58 from 62 and have been amazed by the increase in power without sacrificing much in the way of control. I use Pure hurricane tour 17 g with Attraction or super fine play 17g. I'm new to hybrids and wonder why people reduce the tension on the crosses by 2 lbs. What is the theory behind it?

StealthGnome
10-05-2008, 08:29 PM
For me, although I instantly really liked the frame and recognized straight off this was a real contender, so to speak, that's not the same thing as feeling I'd instantly mastered it. Such unique elements to the PST as the SW, the flex, the softish and muted feel, string, technique, the woofer even - all of these take a while to get familiar with. Therefore, my only tip is... keep at it and be patient.

YA TAA! I found my slice. 10 mins against a wall.

Swan Song
10-08-2008, 08:28 PM
I like the Pure Storm Tour. Have mine weighted to 330g., 31.0 cm. balance, and 308 swingweight. Specs are from unstrung racquet. Have them strung with VS Team 17 on the mains and Lux ALU in Ice Blue on the crosses at 28 kg. Both pre-stretched. I used to use a midsized frame like the POG and the DNX 10 Mid, but boy after switching to this midplus frame, things have gotten easier.

As for strung swingweight of a Pure Storm Tour being 333, I think that is not right because my swingweight right now is 333 strung after having lead slapped on.

Hueco514
10-16-2008, 03:15 AM
*bump* No more updates or any discussion about this baby? :(

Ross K
10-16-2008, 11:49 AM
*bump* No more updates or any discussion about this baby? :( On my part, it's only because I haven't played so much in the last 3 weeks or so (grooooan!) But if you want to start some discussion though, I'd be interested to hear ppls views on how they find the PST compares to other well known Babs (APDC, PD, PDR, PSLtd, etc) on the serve?

How did they rank? Power, spin, general effectiveness? How does the PST stack up?

I confess I still haven't mastered this frame as regards the serve, but I know the serve always is just about the final aspect to fall into place with a new frame, so patience is required (though I have to say it's an area where I often struggle a bit TBH.)

BTW, for you experienced PST users, any tips on how to best fully utilize this particular frame? Im sure a few of us would like to hear them.

Ross C
10-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Well, my update is that having had my PST for about 4 weeks now, my racquet feels a little different to the demo frame - not unusual except this demo was brand new when I took it, so a little surprised. Mine feels like it has more power and is a little less directionaly acurate - i'm not able to be quite so precise on going doe.n the line for instance. String tension variation from the factory I guess

Geting used to it, but still, like RossK, haven't got my serve fully sorted yet...despite thinking I had when demoing - which ultimately made me choose the PST! Oh well, always always room to improve...and I have to say that overall I'm pleased and finding it well able to deal with the power players using PDs and the like, whilst helping me against the weaker hitters too.

Still much prefer it to the PDR and PDR+ that I tried and like the exta weight over the PS.

tennis_hand
10-16-2008, 08:31 PM
YA TAA! I found my slice. 10 mins against a wall.

I also found my slice, by closing more of the racket head. :)

now it is a weapon now, as well as a defensive tool.

what can go wrong with this racket? nothing.

it has power, control, not too heavy, not too light, great stability against hard hitters(better than my previous much heavier 6.0 95), very comfortable to the arm even on bad hits. damn, u just go bang the ball hard, and u don't need to worry anything bad to the arm.

Hueco514
10-20-2008, 02:19 AM
On my part, it's only because I haven't played so much in the last 3 weeks or so (grooooan!) But if you want to start some discussion though, I'd be interested to hear ppls views on how they find the PST compares to other well known Babs (APDC, PD, PDR, PSLtd, etc) on the serve?

How did they rank? Power, spin, general effectiveness? How does the PST stack up?

I confess I still haven't mastered this frame as regards the serve, but I know the serve always is just about the final aspect to fall into place with a new frame, so patience is required (though I have to say it's an area where I often struggle a bit TBH.)

BTW, for you experienced PST users, any tips on how to best fully utilize this particular frame? Im sure a few of us would like to hear them.

Ross,

The only thing I can say is that it feels great on serving. I can get a lot of topspin on my second serve, and my first feels very comfortable with it; I can swing away and I know it will stay in. My overall game improves when I play with it, but I do get more topspin on it rather than flat, like my n95's. But as for other Babolat's comparing to them, Pure Drive w/ Cortex is a lot stiffer, and the serve's are bombs with that one. I tried my friend's, as he has two, and their killer at serving bombs.

I also share your pain in not being able to play that much, since school is now starting to get more time consuming with midterms (quarter system), but yeah, I love what this racquet has to offer. tennis_hand got it right on the money, there's absolutely no flaws that I find on this racquet. It's just everything about it feels just about right, not too heavy, perfect for all aspects of the game, serving, volleying, base-lining, slicing (defensively, and offensively). And it's just so maneuverable, and I'm slowly starting to like it more than my n95's at times. Just the overall feel of the racquet is different and comfortable.

Ross K
10-20-2008, 03:50 AM
Hueco,

Firstly... Ah, so you use the ncode 95 also?!...:-o

Q. How do they compare on serve, groundies, volleys and droppers, ease to swing, etc?

I only ask because the n6.1 has always appealed to me and is one of those frames I've always meant to check out but have never quite got round to it. (BTW, I'm familiar with the PSC 6.1 and HPS 6.1.)

Secondly, re the serve issue, I just think I need more play/practice time to figure it out better... Can I just muscle in a flat 1st serve as if it was a PD+ and be effective?... should I opt for a long, smooth, swinging slice or topspin (as I think you suggest), as if it was a more flexy frame (like say a C10 pro)?... Anyhow, I think you know the point I'm making - I still need to understand for myself precisely how to get the most out of this in the serve dept.

SlapShot
10-20-2008, 07:04 AM
I think I've found my string setup. I had been using Supex BA 17 as a main and Spiral Flex 17 as a cross, both at 57#, and it felt good, but went out yesterday with the BA @ 57# and the Spiral Flex at 60#, and it's the business. I also have a frame that's strung with full BA at 58M/56X that hasn't been hit with, but the spin from my hybrid is fantastic. We'll see how long it lasts.

Hueco514
10-20-2008, 10:35 PM
Hueco,

Firstly... Ah, so you use the ncode 95 also?!...:-o

Q. How do they compare on serve, groundies, volleys and droppers, ease to swing, etc?

I only ask because the n6.1 has always appealed to me and is one of those frames I've always meant to check out but have never quite got round to it. (BTW, I'm familiar with the PSC 6.1 and HPS 6.1.)

Secondly, re the serve issue, I just think I need more play/practice time to figure it out better... Can I just muscle in a flat 1st serve as if it was a PD+ and be effective?... should I opt for a long, smooth, swinging slice or topspin (as I think you suggest), as if it was a more flexy frame (like say a C10 pro)?... Anyhow, I think you know the point I'm making - I still need to understand for myself precisely how to get the most out of this in the serve dept.

Ross,

Yeah, I main the n95 (16x18 pattern, usually people prefer the 18x20 oriented control frame, but I grew up with the open pattern and it's just what I'm used to) for 3-4 years. If you want a comparison, I can do my best to describe some of the significant differences and similarities I feel when I play with them (Look at sig to see my string setups, I'm BBO fan).

For one thing, the n95 is a heck of a lot stiffer. Due to this, I feel I can easily access my flat groundie a lot more. I love baselining, so I use my forehand (eastern grip) as my main weapon. As stated before, I've said my backhand has gotten a lot better with the Pure Storm Tour, I don't know if this has to do with the bigger head, or the fact that it's more maneuverable, but I've noticed improvements. I should note that as of late, I've noticed my ground strokes with the PST have a lot more topspin than with my n95. I can also say this with my serve. Yes, as you noted, I feel that it's easier to do a long, smooth, swinging slice serve, even as the first serve. I get so much kick on the ball with the PST, and despite what people say about the open string pattern (16x18) of the n95, I honestly serve flat with that stick. I don't know if it's the mere fact that it's got a different swingweight, or what, but with the n95's I can really go for the kill when I see an opening. With the PST, I can access spin a lot easier, but can also hit flat. I'm not afraid to swing away with this baby, it's so flexy and that's why I love it so much; with BBO @ 55, I'm able to get just the right amount of pop on the ball that it's very, very effective. Not to mention that this racquet is just perfect in handling, I found no problem adjusting to it from my n95: this might be because the n95 is heavier and the PST seems a lot easier to handle, but I feel that's not the case. The PST is an amazing player's racquet in it's own right.

Now with drop shots, it's a lot easier with the PST. I can scoop up the ball and because it's so easy to spin with this racquet, the drop shots fall faster. They go right over the net with good spin and pace. As you noted earlier, it can be used as a weapon really because it's a rather aggressive slice. I use a backhand slice defensively with the n95, and I can sling the ball pretty deep into the court, but with the PST, it's a more comfortable, long swing. I feel it's flexible and fluid, not as stiff as my n95, and the drop shot is very, very effective.

Overall, I can safely tell you this racquet is a lot easier to swing and become comfortable with. I can see why one of the TW playtesters switched to it after they demoed it. It's just appealing on an all-court sense, I feel my game vastly improves in most areas when I play with it. I sometimes hesitate to do certain things with the n95 because it loves less room for error (heavier, smaller head, etc.) But overall, I bought the PST because I compared specs with the n95 as I wanted to try something new. And I don't regret it; this racquet performs up to my expectations and then some. As for your serve, you just have to let yourself really cut into the ball, I think you'll find it more effective with as much topspin as you can get out of it. That's not to say that you should disregard hitting flat bombs when you can, because it's easy to do that also. I just love the fact that I can really swing away with this racquet and the ball will spin with a great deal of pace.

Lastly, I'd like to note that I've never used the PSC 6.1 and HPS 6.1., although I've heard many great things from both. Honestly, when I got on this board, I was astounded to see the fanbase around the n95 and how many others still used it rather than the k95, which many say feels sluggish. I went from a Hyper Hammer 3.3 OS to the nCode 95 Six-One and it's the stick that really made me get into the game. I would believe that the 6.1 family are a great line of racquets, and won't hesitate to say that the PST is comparable to the n95 on the court. Do you use both as well?

Hueco514
10-20-2008, 10:44 PM
Oh, and although that last response was quite long, I'll just that with volleys, it's really easy to use. You can really punch the ball deep into the court also. This is where the racquet's maneuverability really shines, it's easy to react. Leaves little time for your opponent to counteract the volley :D It might not pack as much punch as the n95, but it's just as good I would say. Both are great for overheads too.

Ross K
10-20-2008, 11:29 PM
Hueco,

Many thanks indeed for your excellent detailed comparison of the PST and n95. As I said, it is def one of those frames I've long wondered about - and you've now answered quite a few queries I had. And in what you say about the aspects of topspin, ease to swing and serve, you in fact confirm some of my own reasons for choosing the PST (and not other rackets like the n95.) Furthermore, I was interested by your comments re the PST and its abilities on drop shots, because it's the other area where I've thus far found little joy (it kind of generally feels a bit soft if you know what I mean?) Anyway, cheers again.

BTW, I've stuck religiously by the PST since last June i think... basically, I realized that a year and more of chopping and changing frames was doing zero for my game (I had become a total racketaholic after being a Bab man for ages when I first got into the game.) In that period I flitted between some great rods (such as the PSC 6.1, C10 Pro, 200G MW, PT 630, to name 4 outstanding rackets IMO), but eventually I knew it was ridiculous and I had to focus on one frame only. It was only after really concentrating on exactly what I need from a racket (ie good power, good topspin, easy to swing, good touch, etc) as well as identifying a frame that has those attributes and potentially even more, that I opted for the PST... and I'm very glad I did.

BTW2, Are you a member of the Babolat Alliance? If that sort of humour appeals to you, you should join...?

R.

Hueco514
10-21-2008, 08:52 PM
Ross,

I know how it must feel to switch from great racquet to great racquet. But eventually, yes, I agree it's better to settle on one stick, and possibly get some multiples of the racquet you main. If you've chosen the PST, as you said you've stuck by it religiously since June, as your main racquet, I think you virtually have nothing to worry about. I'm not too informed on Babolat (used Wilson most my tennis life) but I can safely tell you that the Pure Storm Tour is unlike many of the other popular Bab racquets. And I think that's a good thing in the sense that it's flexier, it's so control oriented, that as long as you play well the racquet will not wrong you. And yes, there were many comparable sticks to the n95, but I feel this one is pretty comparable, and is just as great.

As for your proposal on the Babolat Alliance, I guess I wouldn't mind joining. I'm more of a Wilson man myself, but if you're in charge (I believe you started the thread?) you can add me if you like. Do I need to go in there and ask to join or would this be enough?

Ross K
10-21-2008, 10:19 PM
As for your proposal on the Babolat Alliance, I guess I wouldn't mind joining. I'm more of a Wilson man myself, but if you're in charge (I believe you started the thread?) you can add me if you like. Do I need to go in there and ask to join or would this be enough? No probs - I'll put you in soon (maybe with another 3 or 4 ppl when they ask to join as posting the updated membership takes up 2 entire posts now due to the extreme length of the list.)

B-rian
10-21-2008, 10:33 PM
My main racquet is the regular Pure Storm and I was wondering if anyone can compare the regular PS with the Tour. I'm really curious to the differences or whether it is the exact same racquet but just heavier? I've been considering a switch for a while and just want some opinions please...

Hueco514
10-22-2008, 12:39 AM
No probs - I'll put you in soon (maybe with another 3 or 4 ppl when they ask to join as posting the updated membership takes up 2 entire posts now due to the extreme length of the list.)

Alright, sounds great.

As for your question B-rian, I wouldn't want to mislead you; I jumped straight into the Storm Tour so I wouldn't know how it is compared to the original Pure Storm. Maybe some people on this thread will reply to you about it because they're probably more knowledgeable about those key differences.

Hueco514
10-24-2008, 02:13 AM
New update, played with my PST today in an intermurral round robin at my University, and although I lost 6-7 in a close game, the racquet played well. It was more so me not playing great, but I dropped my baby for the first time =(

Ross K
11-02-2008, 03:07 AM
PSTers,

Well, it's time to 'fess up' here and admit that the last few weeks has seen me grow a tad disgruntled with the PST on a few fronts. And although it doesn't mean I'm calling it a day with the PST, I have played around with my old (leadeded up) PD+ once or twice (first time, I loved that extra topspin and power on serve/groundies; second time it felt like I struggled to wield such a massive great club!) And more than that, my thoughts have certainly strayed towards other potential frames... it is though, to early to say I'm quitting it for this or that (especially as, despite these misgivings, my game has generally improved in the last 4 months or so since I've been using it), so we'll just have to wait and see. Anyway... my issues are these:

. Feel - Although the frame is fairly stable, as someone who previously used the PT 630 on and off for quite a while (and I also dallied with other super-solid rods like the PSC 6.1 and the i. Prestige), I do find myself wishing for less of the hollow, Carbon, foam-in-the-handle, PST feeling, and desiring more of that ultra-stable, Kevlar-infused plushness, if you know what I mean? Which links to this:

. Power - Although it's possibly more to do with the matter of feel/heft/solidity as just power per ce, I do sometimes find I'm not quite generating the kind of ball-crushing oomph that I like (and that I found instantly when I hit with my PD+ w/lead)... As I say, I know it isn't just a matter of stiffness/flex rating - (because, for example, the PT 630 is actually pretty low powered and I can really cream the ball with that rod) - for want of a better description, I might be wanting something less poppy (which is how I'd describe the PST's power feeling) and more ball-crushing... ??!

. Balance/swing ease - Although it's generally speaking pretty easy to swing, I've often felt it could do with being either a tad more head-light or to have some flex or give somewhere so as to assist with last-second adjustment shots, low scoopers, digging out balls from behind you, etc.

. Serve - Whilst I know virtually everyone raves about the PST and how it serves, this just hasn't happened with me. Now I'll be the 1st to admit that my serve has all the inherent violent power of my 76 year-old grandma tossing a cushion on to the sofa :wink:), but it frustrates me that 4 months in and I still continue to entirely elude that flat power that ppl speak of, as well as finding it a bit lively and unpredictable... and yet I pick up the PD+ and straight away I'm serving something v/close to bombs?

So then PSTers, that's where I'm at right now... looks as if I'd better, er, "work these issues" (lol!) with the PST, or, looking at what I've written above, it appears I could be seeking a frame that is a super-stable, felt-ripping, pretty head-light/easy to swing, serve meister... and I'm not sure I want to go down that often somewhat compromised ('compromised' as in you can't normally find everything you want in 1 frame) route once again... enough said.

R.

PED
11-02-2008, 05:56 AM
Ross, I think the PST is deceiving in the ball crushing category. I played with my coach the other day and was voicing the same sentiments that you were: I didn't feel like I was really hammering the ball. He told me that I was hitting heavier than ever-deep and with pace.

My point is that with a PD or APDC (I've owned both) there is a greater sense of satisfaction and the feeling that one is producing alot of power and the PST does not give that feeling as much-even when the results say otherwise.

I was giving some thought to rebuying an APDC but my results lately have convinced me to do otherwise. Ross, I know that it's starting to get cold and damp over there in the UK and maybe a partial solution is to drop a few pounds in string tension. I began doing that last year and it makes a BIG difference. I usually drop 2 pounds in Oct and November and go down to 3 less in Dec and Jan. The denser colder air is harder to hit through and you might find that you'll reclaim some depth. For example I usually string at 55/52 with BBO or ALU and now I've dropped it to 53/51 to compensate.

On a side note, I just picked up my PST with full Gamma Zo tour at 53/51 and am curious to see how it goes. I've hit with it at 65 lbs in an MG Prestige Mid and it was quite stiff but the PST should meld nicely with.

Sup2Dresq
11-02-2008, 09:45 AM
^^^

Dont say all those things Ross! I havent tried the Pure Storm Tour yet..!

Ross K
11-02-2008, 11:58 AM
PED,

Cheers for the useful and indeed thought-provoking advice, PED. And re what your coach told you about actually hitting with v/good power when you thought otherwise, this chimes a bit with me in as much as I've just returned from Devon and playing a few matches with my regular playing partner down there, a guy who is a much bigger hitter than myself, and not only did I beat him pretty easily (which certainly hasn't always been the way), he told me later how much my groundstrokes and... (wait for it!)... serve had improved since I'd been using the PST!

Sup,

Hey, don't be unduly influenced by any of the above post! From past recent exchanges we both know you def need to check out the PST! As I've just kind of said to PED, a lot of this negative stuff is fairly illogical (ie, not backed up by results) and maybe more a matter of aesthetic taste than anything else (though I stand by my comments of preferring something with a bit of flex in the frame or a it being a tad more head-light.) Also re my remarks about the serve, with the PST I've noticed every past problem has eventually been resolved with familiarity and playing time (example: I couldn't slice properly for a while. Ditto: droppers.)

R.

Hueco514
11-03-2008, 12:59 AM
PSTers,

Well, it's time to 'fess up' here and admit that the last few weeks has seen me grow a tad disgruntled with the PST on a few fronts. And although it doesn't mean I'm calling it a day with the PST, I have played around with my old (leadeded up) PD+ once or twice (first time, I loved that extra topspin and power on serve/groundies; second time it felt like I struggled to wield such a massive great club!) And more than that, my thoughts have certainly strayed towards other potential frames... it is though, to early to say I'm quitting it for this or that (especially as, despite these misgivings, my game has generally improved in the last 4 months or so since I've been using it), so we'll just have to wait and see. Anyway... my issues are these:

. Feel - Although the frame is fairly stable, as someone who previously used the PT 630 on and off for quite a while (and I also dallied with other super-solid rods like the PSC 6.1 and the i. Prestige), I do find myself wishing for less of the hollow, Carbon, foam-in-the-handle, PST feeling, and desiring more of that ultra-stable, Kevlar-infused plushness, if you know what I mean? Which links to this:

. Power - Although it's possibly more to do with the matter of feel/heft/solidity as just power per ce, I do sometimes find I'm not quite generating the kind of ball-crushing oomph that I like (and that I found instantly when I hit with my PD+ w/lead)... As I say, I know it isn't just a matter of stiffness/flex rating - (because, for example, the PT 630 is actually pretty low powered and I can really cream the ball with that rod) - for want of a better description, I might be wanting something less poppy (which is how I'd describe the PST's power feeling) and more ball-crushing... ??!

. Balance/swing ease - Although it's generally speaking pretty easy to swing, I've often felt it could do with being either a tad more head-light or to have some flex or give somewhere so as to assist with last-second adjustment shots, low scoopers, digging out balls from behind you, etc.

. Serve - Whilst I know virtually everyone raves about the PST and how it serves, this just hasn't happened with me. Now I'll be the 1st to admit that my serve has all the inherent violent power of my 76 year-old grandma tossing a cushion on to the sofa :wink:), but it frustrates me that 4 months in and I still continue to entirely elude that flat power that ppl speak of, as well as finding it a bit lively and unpredictable... and yet I pick up the PD+ and straight away I'm serving something v/close to bombs?

So then PSTers, that's where I'm at right now... looks as if I'd better, er, "work these issues" (lol!) with the PST, or, looking at what I've written above, it appears I could be seeking a frame that is a super-stable, felt-ripping, pretty head-light/easy to swing, serve meister... and I'm not sure I want to go down that often somewhat compromised ('compromised' as in you can't normally find everything you want in 1 frame) route once again... enough said.

R.

Ross,

I cannot say that I reciprocate all your feelings towards the PST, but I've also ran into some 'taste mishaps' with the stick. As I had mentioned about a week or two ago, I lost to a guy at my university. I could have easily beat this guy on any given day; I play a lot more, and understand the game more. But I don't know, I just didn't feel like I was hitting as hard, or plowing through the ball as I usually do.

The problem? I can't say it was just the stick, I was off more often than not. But hitting with my n95, it's a different experience. I hear the hammering of the ball, it's not muted, and makes me feel like I am really overpowering the ball. But yeah, I still enjoy playing with the PST. It's a great stick, it just takes some getting used to. Nonetheless it is not my main racquet, but I play with it enough to feel that sooner or later, it might be.

As for your serve, go for the kick! :)

Ross K
11-03-2008, 03:34 AM
Ross,

I cannot say that I reciprocate all your feelings towards the PST, but I've also ran into some 'taste mishaps' with the stick. As I had mentioned about a week or two ago, I lost to a guy at my university. I could have easily beat this guy on any given day; I play a lot more, and understand the game more. But I don't know, I just didn't feel like I was hitting as hard, or plowing through the ball as I usually do.

The problem? I can't say it was just the stick, I was off more often than not. But hitting with my n95, it's a different experience. I hear the hammering of the ball, it's not muted, and makes me feel like I am really overpowering the ball. But yeah, I still enjoy playing with the PST. It's a great stick, it just takes some getting used to. Nonetheless it is not my main racquet, but I play with it enough to feel that sooner or later, it might be.

As for your serve, go for the kick! :)

Hi Hueco,

As bolded above, this is def one of my little gripes at the present - lack of plow and the kind of stability and solidity that, combined with 1 or 2 other factors, usually makes for a ball crushing frame. However, as I've already alluded to, I'm prepared to work through these 'issues' - and not least because whilst I know there are other rackets that might provide more of a plow through effect and felt-ripping oomph, or be a tad more head-light or have a bit of flex somewhere, they undoubtedly will fall down in other areas.

Also, I know exactly what you mean by "overpowering the ball" kind of frames. I tend to like these (ever hit with the frame I nicknamed 'the terminator', the PSC 6.1?!) Although I wouldn't say more muted frames (like, say, the PDR w/Cortex) can't equally pummel the hell out of a ball...

Lastly, yeah, you're right about going for the kick! It can be quite good but does need more detailed working on - no doubt about that. In fact... I should probably prioritize this as regards practice for the next few weeks? (Btw, I've posted a thread up in 'tennis tips' section requesting serve power tips.)

R.

Shin
11-06-2008, 01:42 PM
Was wondering if any of you guys have swapped out the synethic grip for a leather and if you did, did you have to balance the head out w/ lead tape?

Hueco514
11-10-2008, 02:31 PM
Hi Hueco,

As bolded above, this is def one of my little gripes at the present - lack of plow and the kind of stability and solidity that, combined with 1 or 2 other factors, usually makes for a ball crushing frame. However, as I've already alluded to, I'm prepared to work through these 'issues' - and not least because whilst I know there are other rackets that might provide more of a plow through effect and felt-ripping oomph, or be a tad more head-light or have a bit of flex somewhere, they undoubtedly will fall down in other areas.

Also, I know exactly what you mean by "overpowering the ball" kind of frames. I tend to like these (ever hit with the frame I nicknamed 'the terminator', the PSC 6.1?!) Although I wouldn't say more muted frames (like, say, the PDR w/Cortex) can't equally pummel the hell out of a ball...

Lastly, yeah, you're right about going for the kick! It can be quite good but does need more detailed working on - no doubt about that. In fact... I should probably prioritize this as regards practice for the next few weeks? (Btw, I've posted a thread up in 'tennis tips' section requesting serve power tips.)

R.

I'll be sure to check the thread out when I can then. I've been on a hiatus from playing, school work pilling up and am eager to get on the courts soon before it gets too cold (Winter in California's not too big of a deal, but it's still cold to us :)). Yeah, I'm not planning on giving up on the PST either, but I plan to polish my game more before trying to handle it on a regular basis. I'm still too accustomed with my n95's, but it won't be long before I jump back on this baby and get to work.

And yeah, I guess the whole 'overpowering sound' from other racquets I have played with are an acquired taste as compared to the muted feel of this racquet. You're completely right in saying that racquets with that muted sound could equally overpower the ball. Btw, Is the PSC 6.1 really that intriguing?

SlapShot
11-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Was wondering if any of you guys have swapped out the synethic grip for a leather and if you did, did you have to balance the head out w/ lead tape?

One of the PST's that I bought used had a leather grip on it - IMO, it made it too headlight, not unlike the Pure Storm Limited. Instead of adding weight to the head (which may have made the frame unweildy for a guy like me), I went back to the synthetic. The feel was fantastic though.

Ross K
11-10-2008, 03:09 PM
I'll be sure to check the thread out when I can then. I've been on a hiatus from playing, school work pilling up and am eager to get on the courts soon before it gets too cold (Winter in California's not too big of a deal, but it's still cold to us :)). Yeah, I'm not planning on giving up on the PST either, but I plan to polish my game more before trying to handle it on a regular basis. I'm still too accustomed with my n95's, but it won't be long before I jump back on this baby and get to work.

And yeah, I guess the whole 'overpowering sound' from other racquets I have played with are an acquired taste as compared to the muted feel of this racquet. You're completely right in saying that racquets with that muted sound could equally overpower the ball. Btw, Is the PSC 6.1 really that intriguing?
Well, for me, the Eu PSC 6.1 is not only a super-stable, felt-ripping, heavy-ball b-line boomer, it's also fantastic for volleying and for up around the net, etc... but... it's just a bit too heavy and unwieldly to swing comfortably and speedily enough (in my hands anyway), and it's also far too stiff... but, unusually for me, I could serve bombs with this one, and the plow-through was pretty addictive.

R.

StealthGnome
11-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Who was it that was looking to sell their extra PST?

stealthgnome at gmail dot com

PED
11-11-2008, 04:31 AM
One quick comment on the PST vs the Wilson's. I've noticed that the Bab is much more reliant on racquet head speed to do the damage. You still get plenty of plow through with the PST but the Wilson's seem to "crush" the ball while you maintain slower stick speed. I'll be curious when the new wilsons come out how they play. I particularly enjoyed the K95 but found the PST suits me more.

I'm using full Gamma Zo tour in mine ATM and it's really really nice. It's quite soft, has really good pop but most importantly, it puts some wicked action on the ball.

Ross K
11-11-2008, 05:39 AM
One quick comment on the PST vs the Wilson's. I've noticed that the Bab is much more reliant on racquet head speed to do the damage. You still get plenty of plow through with the PST but the Wilson's seem to "crush" the ball while you maintain slower stick speed. I'll be curious when the new wilsons come out how they play. I particularly enjoyed the K95 but found the PST suits me more.

Absolutely agree with you PED 100 per cent... you're spot on there mate!... At present I'm missing something of that, er, crush factor ( :wink: ), plow effect and feel, although for me it's less about any comparison to any Wilson frames and more about comparisons to Head frames - specifically the i. Prestige mp and the PT 630, both of which I have some history with. However, like you, the PST suits me very well (my game has unquestionably improved in the last few months), and it's a fact I'm trying to keep at the foreground right now.

R.

PED
11-11-2008, 05:47 AM
I would not mind trying out one of the Prestige Pros but my problem now is that I've gotten hooked on the super soft PST so the Head's feel a bit jarring in comparison. I would love to get ahold of a PT57A ;) That would be just what the Dr. ordered.

Ross K
11-11-2008, 06:13 AM
I would not mind trying out one of the Prestige Pros but my problem now is that I've gotten hooked on the super soft PST so the Head's feel a bit jarring in comparison. I would love to get ahold of a PT57A ;) That would be just what the Dr. ordered.

I've been finding the opposite lately, ie the PST has felt too soft... and not only that, it kind of has the same unchanging feel the whole time and on every shot.

R.

Drewwonu
11-11-2008, 06:06 PM
What's the advantage of having a PST over an APDC? (im considering trading my APDC)

I also find that the APDC resale value that is worth a little more, is the PST worth the switch?

PED
11-11-2008, 06:19 PM
Drew, if you demo the PST you'll likely love it or hate it. It tends to polarize opinion. I played for 18 months with an apdc and loved it but I wanted something that was heavier, more stable and had better control. After demoing everything, I settled on the PST.

You are correct, the apdc offers much better resale. I think that's because it's one of the best selling racquets out there and rafa being number one helps with that. It doesn't hurt that it's a great playing racquet as well. PST's have always depreciated fairly quickly, but it's usually fairly easy to take advantage and pick up a used one off the boards. I use a 1/4 grip which is trickier to find but 3/8's and 1/2 grips seem to be everywhere.

PED
11-11-2008, 06:21 PM
I and not only that, it kind of has the same unchanging feel the whole time and on every shot.

R.

Isn't that consistency supposed to be a good thing ;) LOL

It feels like from reading your posts that a new racquet may be in your future.

Drewwonu
11-11-2008, 07:02 PM
Drew, if you demo the PST you'll likely love it or hate it. It tends to polarize opinion. I played for 18 months with an apdc and loved it but I wanted something that was heavier, more stable and had better control. After demoing everything, I settled on the PST.

You are correct, the apdc offers much better resale. I think that's because it's one of the best selling racquets out there and rafa being number one helps with that. It doesn't hurt that it's a great playing racquet as well. PST's have always depreciated fairly quickly, but it's usually fairly easy to take advantage and pick up a used one off the boards. I use a 1/4 grip which is trickier to find but 3/8's and 1/2 grips seem to be everywhere.

I like heavier racquets too, i found it much more practical for me to add weight n the handle to bring up the static weight and make it more head light.
Is the control offered in the PST much more than the APDC? I also find that the cortex makes very little difference compared to the original APD.

tennis_hand
11-11-2008, 09:40 PM
using a PST will increase your level by at least 0.5 NTRP.

on contrast, using a K90 will reduce your level by 1 NTRP.

:D

PED
11-12-2008, 04:38 AM
Drew, the PST has a flex rating of 63 but it feels even softer than that. The head in particular is very flexy. I love that feeling and it really opens up the various strings that I can use.

I find the control to be much better than the apdc but the woofer still gives the PST some nice pop. I used to weight my apdc's up to 12 oz with 10g in the handle and another 4 at thetop of the hoop and they played nice. The PST feels nothing like the apdc so that's why I say demo. I've seen alot of people on these boards go and buy them without the demo and they end up hating it ;) Let me know how it goes.

Ross K
11-12-2008, 02:48 PM
PSTers,

Been thinking today about big brother... let me explain...

Just wondered what those of you who have experience of it think of the Pure Control. I mean, it's very much the 'big brother' of the PST. The mold and its basic components are I believe exactly the same (ditto the Pure Storm too.) It has been incredibly popular for a number of years among players at the very advanced and pro levels (Gonzales, Chela, Carllsen, Ginepri, Bogdanovic and others are thought - by many at least - to use them.) And its rep for solidness, baseline ball-crushing, big serving and lots of topspin, is well and truly established...

So... 1), How do you ppl rate the Pure Control? How does it compare in your mind to the PST?...

And 2), Anyone ever hit with the older and somewhat heavier burgundy and black PC that is sometimes referred to as the best model ever (I think it's the 2001 version known as "the swerly PC", which I think is different from 'the lava PC", although they might be the same :confused: ... I'm not sure - sorry!) Anyhow, just wondered how this differs from the later team model, and also... is it an absolute heavy log to swing?

BTW & FWIW, I had 2 different spells trying to get grooved with the more recent PC team frame, but despite really liking its solidness and booming groundstrokes and serves, I did find it generally a bit erratic and certainly overpowered, plus my touch stuff was truly awful with this. However, I'm not sure I could have benefitted from a better strings, tension, etc. Annnnyway...

R.

Sup2Dresq
11-13-2008, 04:01 AM
PSTers,

Been thinking today about big brother... let me explain...

Just wondered what those of you who have experience of it think of the Pure Control. I mean, it's very much the 'big brother' of the PST. The mold and its basic components are I believe exactly the same (ditto the Pure Storm too.) It has been incredibly popular for a number of years among players at the very advanced and pro levels (Gonzales, Chela, Carllsen, Ginepri, Bogdanovic and others are thought - by many at least - to use them.) And its rep for solidness, baseline ball-crushing, big serving and lots of topspin, is well and truly established...

So... 1), How do you ppl rate the Pure Control? How does it compare in your mind to the PST?...

And 2), Anyone ever hit with the older and somewhat heavier burgundy and black PC that is sometimes referred to as the best model ever (I think it's the 2001 version known as "the swerly PC", which I think is different from 'the lava PC", although they might be the same :confused: ... I'm not sure - sorry!) Anyhow, just wondered how this differs from the later team model, and also... is it an absolute heavy log to swing?

BTW & FWIW, I had 2 different spells trying to get grooved with the more recent PC team frame, but despite really liking its solidness and booming groundstrokes and serves, I did find it generally a bit erratic and certainly overpowered, plus my touch stuff was truly awful with this. However, I'm not sure I could have benefitted from a better strings, tension, etc. Annnnyway...

R.

There is a TW member called McLovin (think Superbad the movie). He used the older Pure Control model (happily called the swirl PJ). He may be an awesome reference.

BTW. I know with the Pure Drives .. the older ones gave a lot more feedback and you felt more in tune with the ball than the current model. These days most racquets are so muted. Probably the industries way of helping tennis elbow (aka bad technique in most cases).

Good Luck
Sup

PED
11-13-2008, 05:29 AM
Ross, I found the PC to be too much like the PD. I've not played with the older one you mentioned, just the one from 2006. I found it to be a bit stiff for my taste and if I was going that route, I'd just buy a MG Prestige Midplus or Prestige Pro instead.

The PST is much flexier than the "newer" PC's. You may benefit from trying a different string setup in your stick. I find ALU to be awesome but the PST tends to respond very strongly to different setups. Just a suggestion.....

Matty G
11-13-2008, 07:13 AM
Ross, I found the PC to be too much like the PD. I've not played with the older one you mentioned, just the one from 2006. I found it to be a bit stiff for my taste and if I was going that route, I'd just buy a MG Prestige Midplus or Prestige Pro instead.

The PST is much flexier than the "newer" PC's. You may benefit from trying a different string setup in your stick. I find ALU to be awesome but the PST tends to respond very strongly to different setups. Just a suggestion.....

Ped have you given silverstring ago yet? I tried it today and loved it!

PED
11-13-2008, 07:15 AM
Matty, I've not tried it yet. I've got a pretty extensive "inventory" at the moment to burn through. I'm really enjoying the Gamma Zo tour and am trying to get a good price on a batch.

What tension did you go with on the Silver? Did you stick with your normal 56? How is the power and spin? Does it have that Luxilon "pop"? Finally, is it any stiffer than BBO? Sorry for all the questions but you always give good responses ;)

Ketsugo
11-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Mine is strung with Prince syn gut 17ga 66#. ALL the control in the world.

Matty G
11-13-2008, 08:30 PM
Matty, I've not tried it yet. I've got a pretty extensive "inventory" at the moment to burn through. I'm really enjoying the Gamma Zo tour and am trying to get a good price on a batch.

What tension did you go with on the Silver? Did you stick with your normal 56? How is the power and spin? Does it have that Luxilon "pop"? Finally, is it any stiffer than BBO? Sorry for all the questions but you always give good responses ;)

I went with 58 some people said it was powerfull. I didn't think so though. It had very good control but not as much pop as BBO but that could also be because or the tension difference. Spin was good but a bit less than BBO. The comfort was very good , abit softer than BBO. The thing i fell in love with was the solid feel . I just need to give them both a few more goes and see which one i say with.

PED
11-14-2008, 03:14 AM
Matty, let me know which one you decide on. I would think that silverstring would be really nice in the PST, it's soft feeling like your AG200.

Matty G
11-14-2008, 04:14 AM
Matty, let me know which one you decide on. I would think that silverstring would be really nice in the PST, it's soft feeling like your AG200.

PED i played this morning with the silverstring and i think iv got it strung a little tight. I wasnt getting good depth on my shots so i changed to the bbo and i got better depth. Im playing agen just now so i might play with them agen. I think ill stick with the BBO next time as iv got a big national tournement comming up and i want to try keep everything the same before it. If you string it up keep it at your BBO tension.

Ross K
11-21-2008, 05:54 AM
PSTers,

How you all doing with your PSTs?

Since I identified a few "issues" I have picked up one or 2 other frames and had a look at them. I suppose you could say I'm in 'limbo'. However, I haven't played anywhere near as much as I'd like lately and that's the biggest issue right now really (that and needing to join a new club... but that's another story.)

Anyhow, today I did manage to get some court time in and played with another old primary frame of mine that I've recently been liking a lot once more (i. Prestige MP.) However, for all its qualities (great crisp feel, very solid smoothness, bit of flex in the throat area and a nice head-light balance for me), I found it a tad underpowered and a little demanding (although the blustery conditions would have contributed to this.) But then as soon as I swapped for the PST - "bam"!... power (and heaps of topspin) restored!!... which only goes to show and reinforce a very important and slightly frustrating factor when deciding about rackets... it's all a trade off. :roll:

How you guys doing though?... still using your PSTs 100 per cent?

R.

PED
11-21-2008, 04:52 PM
Ross, I've been thinking of taking the prestige pro out for a spin. I dry swung one the other night and the HL balance feels really nice. But...I also like the 333SW of the PST that really puts some stick on the ball. What I really need to do is work more on a high FH takeback and hitting it a little flatter with less spin-that would solve most of my problems ;)

Ross C
11-22-2008, 04:12 PM
Hey Ross

I'm still using the PST 100%, but still not 100% happy - feel like consistent accuracy isn't there and still not generatin enough power to hit clen winners when I feel I should be able to.

So....just got it back from a restring: tension dropped to 55lb and using Alupower rough crossed by X-One biphase in the hoe that it will add some power but not loose too much felel...we'll see.

I tried the Microgel Prestige Pro, and loved the accuracy but the power is well down, lovely frame but my game isn't up to it sadly.

Let us know how you get on

Ross K
11-23-2008, 01:55 AM
Hey Ross

I'm still using the PST 100%, but still not 100% happy - feel like consistent accuracy isn't there and still not generatin enough power to hit clen winners when I feel I should be able to.

So....just got it back from a restring: tension dropped to 55lb and using Alupower rough crossed by X-One biphase in the hoe that it will add some power but not loose too much felel...we'll see.

I tried the Microgel Prestige Pro, and loved the accuracy but the power is well down, lovely frame but my game isn't up to it sadly.

I know what you mean by accuracy - it's one of my reasons for considering other options, which include: a more solid and smooth feel, a bit more of a head-light balance, and a slightly better touch. Plus also (and, yes, I know this utterly contradicts what I just said), sometimes I think I just want that big, bullying Babolat power and topspin as can be found in their more traditional frames (PD, PD+, PC, PDR, etc) - and you don't quite get this with the PST.

Another way of looking at it (and this does make sense I think)... the PST isn't quite working for me as either a b-line type frame or more of an all-courter - and I'm typically a b-liner with a developing all court game... (as it goes, I've been trying to develop a more all-court type game for about the last 6 years or something! :) )

I will let you know how it goes. But as well as customarily checking out other Bab sticks (the PSLtd interests me this time), I also have a habit of going back to my PT 630. As I've said however, the i. Prestige MP has been kind of doing it for me recently. And similar to PED, I'm interested in checking out the MG Prestige (the MP that is, not so much the Pro perhaps ... incidentally would welcome any more info you'd care to tell us on it PED)...

Anyway, before the racketaholics anonymous are on my case again (!), as I keep saying, it's not as if I'm actually playing poorly with the PST - hence the reason why I still haven't pulled the trigger on it... I would like it resolved though before the new year.

Good luck with your situation,

R.

PED
11-23-2008, 07:27 AM
Hey Ross

RossC, does the Pro swing noticeably lighter than the PST? I've played with the MG Midplus and liked it but I like more spin so I was interested in the more open pattern of the Pro. I've also hit with the mid and really liked it but I would be WAY too inconsistent with that.

Ross C
11-24-2008, 04:04 PM
Hey Ped

Yes the Pro does swing noticeably lighter - the swing weights (316 vs 333, or something close) do give a true picture. The Pro certainly generated more spin and accuracy than the PST, but the power is down...

And Ross K, yes, that sums up where I am with the PST, just not working well enough in either area to allow for the other. Perhaps the rain wil back off next weekend and I'll get to try the restring.

Borrowed that other close contendor (from the summer) whilst it was away being restrung - The Speedport Tour and it did feel nice - easy spin access and what felt like better accuracy than PST, but of course it may just have been the different racquet syndrome... ho hum.

StealthGnome
11-24-2008, 05:07 PM
I had my best day less than a week ago with my PST.

I was really upset and blasting at the ball. Crosscourt forehands. Damn I was relentless.

Good way to let off steam.

PED
11-25-2008, 05:56 AM
RossC, thanks for the input, I just need to demo one of the Pro's. The MG mid I hit with felt a good bit stiffer than my PST as well so that scares me a bit. I guess I should stick with the PST as it seems to be working for me quite well. I tried the speedport tour (used to own an 03 tour) but I like a bit more pocketing in my frames and the 03 seems to hit a quicker ball than I like (if that makes any sense).

Ross K
11-25-2008, 06:28 AM
PED, Ross C, others,

Any of you played with the MG Prestige MP? If so, how does it compare to the PST? Pros and cons?

KOtennis
11-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Ross K,

I have both the MG Prestige MP and MP Pro.

the MGPs are stiffer, but feel lower on power.
Also more manuverable.
i enjoy vollying with the MGP, very crisp.

on groundies, PST have more plow-thru feel.

i hope this helps.

PED
11-26-2008, 02:15 PM
I have hit with the MG midplus and liked it. I think the 18 20 pattern would be limiting to me as I like alot of spin and prefer the open patterns. the feeling is nice but I think the PST is still much softer than the Prestige even though the RA number is the same.

I hit today with a Radical Pro. I've used them in the past. The weight is nice at 11.8 or so and you can really whip it through and get some nice action on the ball. My coach just switched to the Rad Pro today from the Prestige Mid. I could really tell a difference being on the receiving end. The action on the ball was about the same as with the Prestige Mid but it had alot more pace on it with the Rad Pro.

Made me want to switch right then and there ;) but I was also playing like crap after making some adjustments to my FH takeback...lol.

j2elve
12-06-2008, 08:22 AM
Does anyone else feel that the PST is somewhat hollow? It's a huge difference for me to hit with my PST and then my N6.1 95 16x18---the N6.1 is just so much more solid-feeling. Anyone have similar experiences?

I'm thinking of trading in my PST for a MG Prestige Pro now. But I'm a little wary of what people are saying about its low-power compared to the PST.

PED
12-06-2008, 08:46 AM
I don't find the PST to be "hollow" but I could see how you might think that coming from the Wilson. I'm a Babolat user for several years so I came to the PST from the PDR and APDC so I find it to be fairly solid feeling. It's all relative, I know what you mean though, I've demoed the K 6-1 95 and it's about as solid as it gets ;) I've thought about the Prestige Pro as well and my fears are the same as yours. You might want to give the Radical Pro a ride: it's wicked: 11.8oz strung up with an open pattern. The power is great and the spin is insane.

Ross K
12-06-2008, 09:44 AM
j2,

Funny because this was one of my issues with the PST a short while back. Here's my take on this now... although to clarify, I believe we are talking about the frame's actual compositional feel - as in "hollow", "tinny", "toy-like", to borrow a few well known put downs, and not the ball-feel on the strings - which some ppl describe as a tad mushy, no feedback and always the same - which is a different particular issue imo... anyway...

As is common with Babolats in general, I don't disagree that the PST is a tad insubstantial feeling. For me however, this isn't in reality a huge 'stop the press' issue. And compared to some older Babs (like the PD Team for example), I'd say the PST feel isn't so weak feeling after all. Furthermore, whilst it's not exactly a PT 630 in terms of a solid feeling, it's definitely closer to the old Pure Control than some other older, tinnier Bab sticks. I'd also add it has other distinctive attributes (such as great topspin capacity, it's pretty maneuverable in my view, high-powered serves, arguably better touch and feel than virtually all the other Babs, etc), that depending on your specific requirements, can add up to an all around highly desirable racquet (and will not all be found in the n95.)

PSTers,

I have been looking at a few other frames in the last 4 weeks or so (i. Prestige MP, PT 280, PD standard, PD+) and have wanted to play with a few others besides (PSLtd, some mids, MG P MP.) So I'm still not settled with anything yet (though I do need more court time.) FWIW though, presently, as can maybe be gleaned from the above post, I feel like the PST (along with the PD/PD+) is returning into my affections. How about everyone else?

R.

PED
12-06-2008, 09:50 AM
Ross, have you ever tried any of the APCD's? I used to use one leaded up to around 12 oz or so and it was really nice. Not quite as stable as the PST, but you could really put some action on it. I've thought of trying out the APDC in the XL length. I also used to use the PD but ended up with the PDR which I quite liked. For some strange reason, I would rather play with my stick stock without adding lead and for that reason I always liked the heavier PDR. They are coming out with a new one next year so it should be interesting.

The one thing that keeps me from switching right now is I know when my son switched to an Aerostorm Tour last year, the weight on his ball went through the roof. You could really tell the difference between the Aerostorm and the AeroPro he was using before. The PST hits a similar ball and I don't want to give that up.

Ross K
12-06-2008, 11:25 AM
PED,

I probably just need to return my attentions to the PST for a little while and reassess a few things because, as alluded to in my above post to j2, my issues have sort of changed a bit, if you know what I mean?

Surprisingly, I've never played with an APD/C... but, typically, I'm pretty sure I will do one day though. As re the PDR, I thought it was fun blasting away with this one, but I never gelled with the balance and weight combo - it felt not just too cumbersome but also pretty odd to me. Shame, because with the addition in weight and stability, I thought it would be exactly what I'd like.

R.

Ross K
12-14-2008, 12:15 AM
PSTers,

I might as well admit it... my enthusiasm for the PST has now been so relegated to the background that it's really in my signature only that I'm a PST user. The problem here is having looked at a few other frames, and having looked again at what it is I'm requiring from a frame, the PST doesn't quite do it for me anymore. And where as I may have changed as regards a few "issues" with the frame that 1st arose a month or 2 ago (ie, these concerns have diminished considerably), other "issues" have come right to the foreground and taken precedence, and which leaves me with this seemingly unsolvable, bottom-line, equation or problem area:

. the mushy, "always the same", too muted feel which results in poor feedback...

(WHICH MIGHT BE TOLERABLE IF THE FRAME COMPENSATED BY BEING MORE OF A TYPICAL BAB STICK, BUT UNFORTUNATELY...)

. the frame is also a touch too underpowered and soft for traditional Babolat qualities...

I mean... I really like that bullying, booming power (as was discussed with Hueco on this thread previously) on serves and groundies, and if I'm not really getting that with the PST and am therefore having to look at its performance in other areas, then what I'm left with is a frame that has many better rivals... Or put another way, when I look at some of the frames I've played with lately (i. Prestige MP, PT 630/280), in comparison the PST falls short in all court terms, to do with feel and touch, to maneuver, solidity, feedback, etc. Then also, if you're talking customary Babolat traits of big power/topspin/fh/serve game-play, the PST also falls short to frames I've looked at recently (PD+ and PD standard.)

Anyway, I intend to summon the required desire to play with it before the New Year and have one last final "examination"... if I can even be bothered to do that (yep, I'm afraid it's as bad as that...) :(

R.

BTW, If you don't here from me for a while... ("CLEARS THROAT".) Fear the worst... :roll:

rscottdds
12-14-2008, 08:17 AM
Anyway, I intend to summon the required desire to play with it before the New Year and have one last final "examination"... if I can even be bothered to do that (yep, I'm afraid it's as bad as that...) :(

l:

If you truely are going to do the "one last final examination" thing, then do yourself a favor and put fresh strings in it. Playing with dead poly can make any racquet feel/play like crap!
-Robert

SlapShot
12-14-2008, 09:37 AM
It seems like I've fallen victim to the "yearning" - I dug out my customized FXP Prestiges this morning, and was hitting the ball much better. The grip size is way too small, but I think that the Prestiges are going to be my #1 again.

PED
12-15-2008, 04:41 AM
Ross, I would suggest dropping the tension 3 lbs or so on your PST and I think you might find it plays with ALOT more pop. No, it's not going to have the power of a PD+ but the lower tension will help out quite a bit and the overall lowered powered nature of the PST will still give you plenty of control. I'm playing with BBO in mine at present at 50/48 and it's magic.

Either way, good luck with your search

thainess
12-15-2008, 10:11 PM
Does anyone have problems with their pure storm tour having a squeeky loose feeling buttcap? I have a problem with mine and I found another at a tennis store with the same problem? Any suggestion?

StealthGnome
12-15-2008, 10:20 PM
Get a staple gun and staple hard or else it stick out.

PED
12-16-2008, 05:50 AM
The staple gun works and also add some super glue and the problem goes away. I fixed mine back in August and have not had a problem since.

thainess
12-16-2008, 12:30 PM
The staple gun works and also add some super glue and the problem goes away. I fixed mine back in August and have not had a problem since.

Thanks for the suggestions, where did you apply the superglue??

PED
12-16-2008, 01:00 PM
I just slid the butt cap off and put it under there.

Hueco514
12-16-2008, 04:07 PM
PSTers,

I might as well admit it... my enthusiasm for the PST has now been so relegated to the background that it's really in my signature only that I'm a PST user. The problem here is having looked at a few other frames, and having looked again at what it is I'm requiring from a frame, the PST doesn't quite do it for me anymore. And where as I may have changed as regards a few "issues" with the frame that 1st arose a month or 2 ago (ie, these concerns have diminished considerably), other "issues" have come right to the foreground and taken precedence, and which leaves me with this seemingly unsolvable, bottom-line, equation or problem area:

. the mushy, "always the same", too muted feel which results in poor feedback...

(WHICH MIGHT BE TOLERABLE IF THE FRAME COMPENSATED BY BEING MORE OF A TYPICAL BAB STICK, BUT UNFORTUNATELY...)

. the frame is also a touch too underpowered and soft for traditional Babolat qualities...

I mean... I really like that bullying, booming power (as was discussed with Hueco on this thread previously) on serves and groundies, and if I'm not really getting that with the PST and am therefore having to look at its performance in other areas, then what I'm left with is a frame that has many better rivals... Or put another way, when I look at some of the frames I've played with lately (i. Prestige MP, PT 630/280), in comparison the PST falls short in all court terms, to do with feel and touch, to maneuver, solidity, feedback, etc. Then also, if you're talking customary Babolat traits of big power/topspin/fh/serve game-play, the PST also falls short to frames I've looked at recently (PD+ and PD standard.)

R.

BTW, If you don't here from me for a while... ("CLEARS THROAT".) Fear the worst... :roll:

Hey Ross,

It's been a month or so since I last was on this thread. And in that time (I've just caught up reading all the posts), it seems you went through a dilemma with the PST, as it no longer draws that same enthusiasm you used to have when playing with it, I'm sure. Thing is, with any racquet, you will probably go crazy when you try overanalyzing all of its specs, and how they relate to your game. I'm sure you know this by now, like any tennis player, no racquet offers all the qualities you want from it. However, when they become problems that you can't play through, then it becomes more than just a problem.

With the PST, I understand your frustration with the muted feel on serves, volleys, forehands, etc. It gets kinda frustrating when you're used to that huge, sound, that crushing feel you get when hitting with more powerful racquets (in my case, my signature, the n95). I remember we also talked about serving, and how going for topspin was working more for me, so I told you to try that also. However, I'm sure if you really went at it, you'd still get a flat bomb, as I heard lots of people talking about with on this thread before I talked to you about that. I'm guessing it depends on what you like, but remember, the PST was probably made to be different from that traditional, sturdy, overpowering babolat feel. That is, afterall, why I went for it, because I wanted to generate my own power. Sometimes though, you're right, the feel is mushy; that's probably, at least with me, when I'm already 2 hours into my hitting sessions and whatnot.

Pretty much, if you give up on the PST, it's understandable, not too many people use them I would think, but like I said before, we've talked about how you keep moving from racquet to racquet, so be sure to assess all the qualities and mishaps of the PST and what you want from your game. Your stick should provide you with much happiness, and excitement everytime you go out and play tennis. If it doesn't do that much, then it's time to look for another one.

Best regards,

Hueco

rscottdds
12-16-2008, 04:45 PM
Does anyone have problems with their pure storm tour having a squeeky loose feeling buttcap? I have a problem with mine and I found another at a tennis store with the same problem? Any suggestion?

The last few I've gotten don't seem to have this problem but almost all of the earlier ones did. Maybe they've fixed it. Anyway, what I did was remove the buttcap and glue with 5 minute epoxy. Works great. That's what a Babolat tech told me to do.
-Robert

Ross C
01-12-2009, 12:00 PM
So, happy new year PST users - what's the latest for everyone with the PST? I'm still undecided following the restring, but am going to give it another few weeks...

rscottdds
01-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Hey Ross,

Pretty much, if you give up on the PST, it's understandable, not too many people use them I would think,
Hueco

My son's been using them since they first came out. A few on his High School team started using them after trying his out, then the coach went out and bought a bunch because he liked the way they played. About half of the players on one of the D1 college teams we saw this year played with them, and I'm seeing them more and more in the tournaments we go to. I played in a USTA Sectioanal playoff tournament this weekend and a few of the opponents had them. Before my son got his straight from Babolat (players package) he would get them from TW and they were backordered a few times. Somebody must be using them :-).
-Robert