PDA

View Full Version : Interesting that Fed Plays In the Gerry Weber Open...

wangs78
06-11-2008, 07:48 AM
I've noticed over the years that none of Roger's prime rivals (Roddick, Nadal, and now Djokovic) play in the Gerry Weber Open. They all choose to play in the Artois tournament. Possible reasons that I can think of:

1) Roddick, Nadal and Djokovic prefer to stay in the UK where the Artois tournament is played

2) They all wanted to avoid playing Federer in a Gerry Weber final bc obviously, winning a grass tuneup could give them confidence heading into Wimby

Any other ideas?

Furthermore, if you check out the Gerry Weber draw at http://www.gerryweber-open.de/en/results/singles-draw.html this tournament should be a cakewalk for Fed assuming he plays at least his B+ game. Sure Stepanek recently beat Fed and Berdych should do well on grass, but incidentally both of them have already been eliminated this year.

wangs78
06-11-2008, 07:50 AM
Oops, I put this in the wrong forum. How do I move it????

madmanfool
06-11-2008, 08:19 AM
1. He has a contract to play there
2. Happy memories. He won his first Wimbledon when he prepared in Halle
3. He is a Swiss and speaks German. He's more related to Germany than England.
4. The Brits would talk his head off with Wimbledon questions all the time.
5. It's also been said that the grass at Halle resembels more to the grass at Wimbledon.

sureshs
06-11-2008, 08:50 AM
1. He has a contract to play there
2. Happy memories. He won his first Wimbledon when he prepared in Halle
3. He is a Swiss and speaks German. He's more related to Germany than England.
4. The Brits would talk his head off with Wimbledon questions all the time.
5. It's also been said that the grass at Halle resembels more to the grass at Wimbledon.

6. He would have to face Nadal

BGB.CA
06-11-2008, 09:01 AM

Thats not a bad point Halle always seem to have less star power than Queens. I think Federer would prefer to prepare under the radar like when he plays Kooyong before the Aussie. There is less pressure for him to perform so he can just prepare his game for Wimbledon.

daveyboy
06-11-2008, 09:16 AM
True, Fed might have to face Nadal if he played Stella Artois (where Nadal has won the tournament.....oh... well...) And for Nadal's first grass court outing, he chooses Stella Artois, not Gerry Weber. Why doesn't Nadal play the Weber? 6 of one, half dozen of the other. Its all preparation for All England.

BreakPoint
06-11-2008, 09:45 AM
True, Fed might have to face Nadal if he played Stella Artois (where Nadal has won the tournament.....oh... well...) And for Nadal's first grass court outing, he chooses Stella Artois, not Gerry Weber. Why doesn't Nadal play the Weber? 6 of one, half dozen of the other. Its all preparation for All England.
Huh? I'm pretty sure Nadal has never won Stella Artois.

madmanfool
06-11-2008, 10:00 AM
Huh? I'm pretty sure Nadal has never won Stella Artois.

I think that's exactly the thing he wanted to point out actually

SempreSami
06-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Whoa, it's the Artois Championships, poster there has made it look like Nadal goes to London to get ****ed.

cknobman
06-11-2008, 10:54 AM

You are so spot on with this one.

Fed is afraid of facing someone whos never even won a tournament on grass or beaten him in a match on it.

Good call.:rolleyes:

daveyboy
06-11-2008, 11:00 AM
Yes, Nadal goes and gets knackered while waiting for the rozzers to show and put him in the clink.:twisted:

The Artois championships, as you so elegantly put it, is what I used to call the Queens Club championships- where Boris Becker won his first grass court championship, and two weeks later won Wimbledon. How do I know this? I watched it on the USA Network as it happened and said "Wow, if he can play like that at 17, so can I."

Who's the sponsor of the tournament again?:evil: And what beer do they brew?

Hartzy
06-11-2008, 11:09 AM

Nope! Roger Federer won Gerry Weber in 2003. Where was Nadal in 03? It's common practice for past champions to return to the same event. The fans expect it and the organizers expect it.

SempreSami
06-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Yes, Nadal goes and gets knackered while waiting for the rozzers to show and put him in the clink.:twisted:

The Artois championships, as you so elegantly put it, is what I used to call the Queens Club championships- where Boris Becker won his first grass court championship, and two weeks later won Wimbledon. How do I know this? I watched it on the USA Network as it happened and said "Wow, if he can play like that at 17, so can I."

Who's the sponsor of the tournament again?:evil: And what beer do they brew?

Excuse me?

Stella isn't the only beer produced by Artois, not that any of this will matter next monday since Queen's Club will be looking for a new sponsor.

daveyboy
06-11-2008, 11:18 AM
Excuse me?

Stella isn't the only beer produced by Artois, not that any of this will matter next monday since Queen's Club will be looking for a new sponsor.

Thats news to me... they've been with the tournament as long as I can remember. Any word who it might be? I'd hate to see it end up the "Bud light Championships"....ahhhhhh...the horror!

BTW- VERY nice Ian Brown avatar.

SempreSami
06-11-2008, 11:36 AM
Aye, Golden Greats is a top album.

No word on new sponsors as far as I know, but I'm sure companies would be scrambling over one-another to sponsor an event which regularly features top players and is situated in Kensington, allowing for them to exploit London prices of everything.

Fee
06-11-2008, 07:51 PM
The players who play Queen's Club are the ones who usually like to get a month long rental on some place in the Wimbledon village, and just live on London grass for four straight weeks.

Federer played Halle before anyone knew who he was and he has stayed loyal to that event (I'm sure the appearance fees help). It's close enough to his home that he can go for a day or two before he heads to London, and, if I remember correctly, they have a roof so they can finish their event on time if it rains.

roundiesee
06-11-2008, 09:05 PM
Thanks Fee, you always have such good inside info. I wonder whether he might ONE DAY play Queen's Club instead.After all, Queen's is the traditional warm up before Wimbledon. Except for Borg (who was so good, he didn't need any warm up before Wimby) all the other past Wimbledon Champs played there, viz, Pete, Jimmy, Mac, Boris, Lleyton, etc...

Duzza
06-11-2008, 09:14 PM
7. ZOMFG wrong forum :D

diredesire
06-11-2008, 11:00 PM
Moved to GPPD :)

(Thanks Fee)

ericsson
06-11-2008, 11:20 PM
Thats news to me... they've been with the tournament as long as I can remember. Any word who it might be? I'd hate to see it end up the "Bud light Championships"....ahhhhhh...the horror!

BTW- VERY nice Ian Brown avatar.

Stella Artois was/is a brewery in Belgium (Leuven), now it's hold by Inbev group. Stella is a pilsner lager beer and one if not the best lager in Belgium. Inbev is big now and have many good beers under their belt like Hoegaarden (white beer) and leffe (another great beer).

Recently they've announced to end their -30 year sponsorship.

dropserve
06-11-2008, 11:22 PM
Roger can go driving to Halle

madmanfool
06-12-2008, 03:14 AM
Stella Artois was/is a brewery in Belgium (Leuven), now it's hold by Inbev group. Stella is a pilsner lager beer and one if not the best lager in Belgium. Inbev is big now and have many good beers under their belt like Hoegaarden (white beer) and leffe (another great beer).

Lets just call it one of the best. Calling Stella the best lager in Belgium, i can't get that over my lips being from Limburg. It's worse enough i study in Leuven and am surrounded by Stella :)

0d1n
06-12-2008, 04:42 AM

Actually I prefer Leffe (both blonde and brune...I'm not picky :D) to Stella but to each their own.

Thanks Fee, you always have such good inside info. I wonder whether he might ONE DAY play Queen's Club instead.After all, Queen's is the traditional warm up before Wimbledon. Except for Borg (who was so good, he didn't need any warm up before Wimby) all the other past Wimbledon Champs played there, viz, Pete, Jimmy, Mac, Boris, Lleyton, etc...

Actually he was reportedly training on grass like a madman immediately after Roland Garros finished in order to get in shape for Wimbledon.
He also (as far as I've heard) sucked for the first few days of that training, but he would train and train until he got his game in shape before Wimby...and after a couple of weeks...he got it right.
I actually saw a pretty interesting documentary (Wimbledon "special") about him with some nice info and match play.
I think it's done by Star Sports, and they have one on Sampras as well.
But...I digress I thought we were talking about BEER ! ! ! :twisted:

madmanfool
06-12-2008, 04:50 AM
Actually I prefer Leffe (both blonde and brune...I'm not picky :D) to Stella but to each their own.

Off course you do, but Leffe is a trappist, no lager beer.

Zaragoza
06-12-2008, 05:01 AM
You are so spot on with this one.

Fed is afraid of facing someone whos never even won a tournament on grass or beaten him in a match on it.

Good call.:rolleyes:

Im sure Nadal is the player that Federer respects the most on grass.

cknobman
06-12-2008, 06:15 AM
Im sure Nadal is the player that Federer respects the most on grass.

Im not saying Fed dosnt respect Nadal on grass. I was responding to sureshs who implied that Fed dosnt play Queens(Artois) because Nadal plays it.

0d1n
06-13-2008, 04:08 AM

Yes, I know you are smarter than this ... but you're just "playin' dumb".
Fedster gets 30 K Euros more from winning Halle than he would get from winning Queens. That tournament is probably also paying him a very "healthy" appearance fee. Add to that the fact that Halle is closer to him...add the "history" (i.e he played there for a long time) and you have plenty of reasons for his (or his management team's) choice.

Mansewerz
06-13-2008, 06:20 AM
I noticed that players at the Artois championship didn't have to play high ranked players until the quarters/semis.