PDA

View Full Version : Volkl C10 question

sruckauf
06-11-2008, 08:22 AM
Fuzz Nation, Jonolau, and others that are C10 users..

I've been playing with the POG Mid for a long time now, and recently acquired a new C10. (2008 model) I strung it up with Pro Supex Maxim Touch 16 at mid range tension of 55#. I picked this frame due to the specs, thinking this might be a good transition racket since like heavier frames with rather open string patterns.

I've never had a arm issue in my life. I went and hit with this stick last night to start getting a feel for it. I just hit with the ball machine for about an hour and a half. I ended the session with a bit of discomfort in my elbow. This morning I woke up, and wow does my elbow kill! <insert expletive here>

Any thoughts on why this might be? I'm thinking it's probably 100% my technique.. I did notice I was hitting quite a few balls late so I imagine I have some swingweight to get used to.. which probably aggravated my arm. But I could use any input if you have thoughts. Thanks!

NoBadMojo
06-11-2008, 08:30 AM
Fuzz Nation, Jonolau, and others that are C10 users..

I've been playing with the POG Mid for a long time now, and recently acquired a new C10. (2008 model) I strung it up with Pro Supex Maxim Touch 16 at mid range tension of 55#. I picked this frame due to the specs, thinking this might be a good transition racket since like heavier frames with rather open string patterns.

I've never had a arm issue in my life. I went and hit with this stick last night to start getting a feel for it. I just hit with the ball machine for about an hour and a half. I ended the session with a bit of discomfort in my elbow. This morning I woke up, and wow does my elbow kill! <insert expletive here>

Any thoughts on why this might be? I'm thinking it's probably 100% my technique.. I did notice I was hitting quite a few balls late so I imagine I have some swingweight to get used to.. which probably aggravated my arm. But I could use any input if you have thoughts. Thanks!

Yes, hitting late with a frame too high in swingweight can be an arm beater even with an ultra comfortable frame like the c10. also, the poly certainly isnt helping you.

Suggest you find a racquet which is the right swingweight for how you play NOW, and dont think in terms of hitting your way into being able to use a too demanding frame.

sruckauf
06-11-2008, 09:17 AM
Yes, hitting late with a frame too high in swingweight can be an arm beater even with an ultra comfortable frame like the c10. also, the poly certainly isnt helping you.

Suggest you find a racquet which is the right swingweight for how you play NOW, and dont think in terms of hitting your way into being able to use a too demanding frame.

Maxim Touch is actually a multi.. but yes I completely hear you about the swingweight. I am currently a competitive 4.0 singles player mostly, and my strokes are fairly sound. (fairly.. not perfect..) I consider the POG Mid a somewhat demanding frame, but maybe I'm fooling myself about that.

Thanks for your input.

fuzz nation
06-11-2008, 01:42 PM
Not good!!!

Sorry to hear about your elbow, amigo. A couple of my pals have gone through a bout of full blown tennis elbow in recent years and I wouldn't wish any degree of that on anyone. I've been fortunate enough to have never been sidelined with an arm issue, but I have seen a couple of spells of more than mild irritation that made me worry for a day or so until it faded. Each time it has happened for me was when I was in the middle of demoing - I was pretty much playing musical racquets while I had a little stack from TW, etc. at my disposal. All that switching around meant lots more mishits for me and I'm sure that I was also going harder on my wrist by occasionally steering a different frame around too much.

While the C10 is on the softer side of the street, it's been my experience that switching too much and trying to play full speed with an unfamiliar racquet can put me more at risk for some twinges. Hopefully you can cool things out in a hurry and get back at it, especially at this time of year.

Keep us posted.

Rabbit
06-12-2008, 04:21 AM
While the C10 is on the softer side of the street, it's been my experience that switching too much and trying to play full speed with an unfamiliar racquet can put me more at risk for some twinges. Hopefully you can cool things out in a hurry and get back at it, especially at this time of year.

Keep us posted.

I agree with this 100%

sruckauf
06-12-2008, 05:37 AM
Thanks a ton for the replies. This must be it, as I've definitely been playing full-on with three different racquets in the past few months.

So sounds like I really should wait until the summer USTA tournament season is over to be trying different frames out, when I have more time to experiment in a more relaxed setting and when I can afford more rest time between demos.

Again thanks much for the replies! Really helpful.

samster
06-12-2008, 05:45 AM
In the meanwhile, you should ice and rest your elbow!

sruckauf
06-12-2008, 09:45 AM
In the meanwhile, you should ice and rest your elbow!

Good advice, thanks. I've taken two days off and iced it twice a day, and it's almost entirely pain-free. Thank goodness. We have another match against a pretty solid Sedona, AZ team this Saturday! No more musical sticks for me this summer.. :)

Thanks!

Rabbit
06-12-2008, 08:07 PM
Dude, just so you'll have a point of reference....I use the C10 and an all-poly job at 54. I tried a couple of frames, most notably the Wilson 6.1 95 strung with a good multi at 55 and had a real sore arm. I don't know that it's the frame as much as it's changing frames if that makes sense.

jonolau
06-24-2008, 07:27 AM
Well, couple of things here:

1. How old are you now?
2. As NBMJ pointed out, the SW of the C10 is quite high. If age has caught up and physical conditioning gone down, then it will be a huge issue.
3. Maxim Touch, though a multifilament, can feel quite stiff for the first few hours. I would suggest that you string at the lowest tension.