PDA

View Full Version : Which man has won on all four slams on four different surfaces?

jorel
06-11-2008, 08:51 AM
I know Agassi is one., anyone else?

sureshs
06-11-2008, 08:52 AM
No ........................

MLoutch
06-11-2008, 09:32 AM
no one - there are only 3 surfaces ever used in the majors - Hard, Clay and Grass

Rebound Ace, Plexipave, Deco Turf....etc are all considered hard courts

Conners won the US Open on all 3 surfaces (grass 74, har tru(clay) 76 and hard in 78 8)
Agassi has USO and Aust both on hard courts.

tangerine
06-11-2008, 10:13 AM
Jimmy Connors is the only man to have won the US Open on three different surfaces. :cool:

Rhino
06-11-2008, 10:33 AM
Jimmy Connors is the only man to have won the US Open on three different surfaces. :cool:

^^^the green, or Har-Tru "American" clay is entirely different, even Roddick wins matches on it.
Connors never won a slam on the slow red dirt like Agassi.

The balls in your court.
06-11-2008, 10:34 AM
I know Agassi is one., anyone else?

Mats Wilander ....sort of..

He won the FO on clay

The USO on hard

The AO on both grass and on rebound ace (something agassi never did).

he did win Wimbledon but only in doubles ( made the finals in singles).

In a way more impressive than Agassi because Wilander won the AO on both surfaces and he won 3 of four all in one year. (did he win wimbledon doubles in that same year as well....hmmmmm???? that would almost be a pure grandslam).

bluetrain4
06-11-2008, 10:43 AM
no one - there are only 3 surfaces ever used in the majors - Hard, Clay and Grass

Rebound Ace, Plexipave, Deco Turf....etc are all considered hard courts

Conners won the US Open on all 3 surfaces (grass 74, har tru(clay) 76 and hard in 78 8)
Agassi has USO and Aust both on hard courts.

I'd generally agree with this, though Agassi did win on two fairly different hardcourts at the AO and USO.

A lot of people on TW refer to Rebound Ace as a different surface, but it's just a hardcourt variant. Yes, it played differently than the USO, but lots of hard courts play differently. The main characteristics of a hardcourt - true predictable bounce, true footing - are present in all of the hardcourts you listed, including rebound Ace.

When the AO was played on grass, the grass was very different than Wimbledon's former grass, yet both were grass courts. A rye grass hybrid, or a pure rye grass court are different, but still both are grass, as are different hardcourts with different amounts of sand, rubber, etc.

Gorecki
06-11-2008, 11:01 AM
This is a farly easy one no matter how many arguments you guys come up with. Rebound and Plexy are very different. so there is a very simple answer! THE PUNISHER...

Moose Malloy
06-11-2008, 11:17 AM
I guess Agassi is the last man who will ever win on '4 surfaces' since rebound ace is no longer used at the AO(did they come up with a new name for the new surface? maybe Fed will get a chance next year to have won slams on FIVE surfaces!)

If Djokovic wins all 4 maybe they should out an * next to it, since you know, he only won on '3' surfaces.

In a few years this argument will seem pretty absurd.