PDA

View Full Version : Prokennex 5g or Ki5 (which is more comfortable)

ccambil@gmail.com
06-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Hi all,

I haven't played tennis for over 5 months due to severe tennis elbow.

I have been playing tennis for over 20 years and never had tennis elbow.

I only developed tennis elbow when i changed rackets (from wood) to a wilson hammer profile 2.7, a very powerful racket. I really enjoyed playing with this racket because it is very powerful. I enjoyed knocking off my opponents rackets from their hands. I have a long, fast swing and this racket generated awesome power.

However, my arm paid the price for this power.

I then switched to a Wilson Hammer 6.2 which is less stiff. My tennis elbow got better but never went away.

I again switched to a Wilson NSix-one 95 (16x18). However, my tennis elbow got worse and painful that I have to stop playing tennis.

It is time to change racquet brand.

I read a lot about prokennex 5g and ki5 but i cannot decide which one to buy.

my primary objective is to completely heal my tennis elbow and continue playing a little recreational tennis (not competitive, just rallyies).

Question:
From a primarily tennis elbow point of view, which one should I buy? 5g or ki5?

Thanks in advance...

blackfrido
06-11-2008, 09:58 AM
5G, I had tennis elbow for about 6 months. I bought couple of 5G"s, when did not hurt anymore then I changed for another racquet.
I had a Ki5, did not like it.

The Dampener
06-11-2008, 10:55 AM
The 5G, in my opinion.

I struggled through TE for a year and a half and played both of those frames. Both frames play soft, but the 5G felt more flexible. Especially, when you string with soft multis at low tension.

Keep in mind, though, TE can be a result of any number of variables--equipment, technique, fitness, etc. Make sure you look at everything and not just your racquet.

SLow
06-11-2008, 11:52 AM
Exactly what The Dampener said.
I have both racquets laying around. I found the Ki5 to be more crisp while the 5G a bit more soft.
Both very arm friendly frames.

ccambil@gmail.com
06-12-2008, 07:58 AM
based on your feedback and my own research, i ordered pro-kennex 5g from TennisWarehouse.

I also had it strung with wilson NXT at 52 lbs (the lowest TW tension choice).

I hope the 5g will help me completely heal my tennis elbow.

I will continue my arm/shoulder strengthening routine.

Once my arm is completely healed and stronger, i would then look for another racquet more appropriate to my play.

who knows...maybe the 5g is not only a good tennis elbow racquet but a good player's racquet as well...

again, thanks to you all...

blackfrido
06-12-2008, 10:14 AM
that's exactly what I did. I bought couple of 5G's played with them until the pain was completely gone.
I was healed mainly with deep tissue massage, ice (after each session of massage) and strengthening routine (not much of this)

You will enjoy your new stick specially while recovering from TE

tennisinoc
06-12-2008, 11:00 AM
5G, I had tennis elbow for about 6 months. I bought couple of 5G"s, when did not hurt anymore then I changed for another racquet.

What racket did you change to?
What do you currently play with?

blackfrido
06-12-2008, 03:46 PM
I was playing for a while (about a year) with fischer frames; Pro Tour Ft extreme, later M-Speed #1 SL. Always frames over 12 oz, until I demoed the UL version of M-Speed kind of light at first but since then I'm playing with racquets below 12 oz.

These days I'm using a Kneissl Red Star which I really love in every aspects of the game.

Don S
06-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Great choice CCambil, I've used the 5G for years. Just a heads up so you know - The 5G uses sand like material to help dampen the vibrations. You'll hear this stuff rattling around when you shake the frame, don't worry or think your racquet has a defect or is broken, this is normal.

psYcon
09-26-2008, 09:33 PM
Saw this thread, couldn't help posting.

I also had a severe tennis elbow pain earlier this year. I researched both the 5g and the Ki5 and finally settled with the latter because of the added power. Fast forward around 7 months, and now I am elbow pain-free. I have it strung at a low tension around 52lbs w/Luxilon and getting great match results (much better than when I was using my Yonex RDX500 MP).

louis netman
09-26-2008, 10:27 PM
Kinetic Technology has altruistic intentions. Hoping that PK could find some organization to carry the torch...

ps60
09-27-2008, 08:04 AM
if u want yr elbow heal, watch the time u play every week, have some recovering activities like massage, and never use a polyester string.

I used 5G and it is good to elbows compared to others, but it won't make it better. it just makes less damage.

I broke the racket into pieces lately after it had developed a crack for 2 yrs, and found that it really have the chambers of tiny beads. I guess it is the best dampening technology around but U need to add sth like 5g (4~6g) of lead around the upper hoop because it's under power (too low SW). Replace the thin grip with a thick MAX grip and it could be the ONE. No need to change anymore (until it breaks)