PDA

View Full Version : Davydenko does everything he can NOT to win a slam

Thor
06-11-2008, 02:01 PM
I seriously dont get this guy.

After hamburg he goes and plays a stupid little clay court event,reaching Roland Garros too tired to move and loses to Ljubicic after leading 2 sets to love.

Now,as every player in the top 10(whos not injured) is playing grass court events this guy goes and plays Warsaw on clay???

This is Rediculous

TheTruth
06-11-2008, 02:14 PM
And don't let him be up on a favorite in a grand slam, you can almost hear him chanting "I am not worthy" in the background. He is totally pathetic. Retiring in a final (Estoril) and then playing the next day with an inkling of what caused the retirement the day before. Davydenko is a patsy!

The-Champ
06-11-2008, 06:33 PM
And don't let him be up on a favorite in a grand slam, you can almost hear him chanting "I am not worthy" in the background. He is totally pathetic. Retiring in a final (Estoril) and then playing the next day with an inkling of what caused the retirement the day before. Davydenko is a patsy!

That's because Federer paid him to retire, duh!

tennis_hand
06-11-2008, 06:38 PM
I seriously dont get this guy.

After hamburg he goes and plays a stupid little clay court event,reaching Roland Garros too tired to move and loses to Ljubicic after leading 2 sets to love.

Now,as every player in the top 10(whos not injured) is playing grass court events this guy goes and plays Warsaw on clay???

This is Rediculous

no vision and perspective.

he has a great game. but he has no perspective where he is at.
he is a top 5 player, probably something he doesn't know of, and he still plays those small tournaments. Big boys play big and don't mess with kids.

jmsx521
06-11-2008, 07:31 PM
You should've seen how Ljubicic raised his game to win that match. Plus, I think Davydenko's game is more suited for hard courts.

edmondsm
06-11-2008, 07:43 PM
Something about him doesn't like grass too. Since turning pro in 1999 he has only won 5 matches on grass. By playing in Warsaw he sends the message that he could care less about the surface and is probably going to tank his 1st round match at Wimbledon just to be done with it.

What a great draw it would be to get Davydenko in the 1st round of Wimbledon. Here you are, some low ranked nobody, and you stand a great chance at taking out the #4 seed and inheriting his path through the draw.

CyBorg
06-11-2008, 08:01 PM
I think Davydenko should skip grass entirely.

Last year he worked his way to the fourth round of Wimbledon only to go on a bad streak on clay and lose in the opening rounds in three consecutive weeks.

Not worth it, because we know he won't win Wimbledon anyway.

Nadal_Freak
06-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Something about him doesn't like grass too. Since turning pro in 1999 he has only won 5 matches on grass. By playing in Warsaw he sends the message that he could care less about the surface and is probably going to tank his 1st round match at Wimbledon just to be done with it.

What a great draw it would be to get Davydenko in the 1st round of Wimbledon. Here you are, some low ranked nobody, and you stand a great chance at taking out the #4 seed and inheriting his path through the draw.
He takes everything early. Grass gives you the worst bounces of all the surfaces and it destroys Davydenko's style of play. Similar to Blake.

Sentinel
06-11-2008, 08:53 PM
I agree - I can't figure out why he had to play Portshach (sp?) just before RG !!!

Does his brother/coach have no sense, or what.

Thor
06-12-2008, 02:43 AM
You should've seen how Ljubicic raised his game to win that match. Plus, I think Davydenko's game is more suited for hard courts.

I watched the match - Ljubo capitalized on Davydenkos errors.Ive never seen him hit so many UE's in my life!

Even Nadal lost on clay when trying to play 3 consecutive weeks,what was he thinking?

Thor
06-12-2008, 02:46 AM
I think Davydenko should skip grass entirely.

Last year he worked his way to the fourth round of Wimbledon only to go on a bad streak on clay and lose in the opening rounds in three consecutive weeks.

Not worth it, because we know he won't win Wimbledon anyway.

I think this attitude is a bit too much - even for Davydenko.

The #4 player in the world should have the minimum amount of self belief,and try to prepare himself to the biggest tournament in the tennis world.

Alexio92
06-12-2008, 02:59 AM
Where is his next tournament after wimbledon?

Not fulltime player
06-12-2008, 03:03 AM
Davydenko, strange kind of top-10.

ericsson
06-12-2008, 03:07 AM
He takes everything early. Grass gives you the worst bounces of all the surfaces and it destroys Davydenko's style of play. Similar to Blake.

Davy remembers me a lot of Andre and he didnt do too bad on grass...
Tha guy has some great hands

cmb
06-12-2008, 03:08 AM
he will be at wimby, but practicing on the Clay or hard courts that they have at the all england club. lol

my_forehand
06-12-2008, 03:18 AM
Hey, he's number 4 in the world. That's enough for me.

AAAA
06-12-2008, 05:53 AM
no vision and perspective.

he has a great game. but he has no perspective where he is at.
he is a top 5 player, probably something he doesn't know of, and he still plays those small tournaments. Big boys play big and don't mess with kids.

Funny comment about Big boys play big. Muster is generally regarded as a big boy, a monster even by some, however as shown

http://i26.tinypic.com/cjg3c.jpg

He had a habit of missing Wimbledon entirely for several years. His 4 and only 4 Wimbledon appearances all ended in 1st round defeats. Also his often early exists from Roland Garros don't support the argument that he was too tired for Wimbledon. The guy was supremely fit, said in the media to 'hit' the gym after easy matches.

In Muster's time when majors only seeded 16 players Muster was one of those who whined about it because his ego and pride couldn't accept a possibly tough first round draw on grass and the embarassing defeat to follow.

Contrast that with Federer who still stepped onto court against Nadal similar to how a petrified Michael Spinks entered the ring to meet Mike Tyson when Tyson was still an 'animal'.

AAgassiradical88
06-12-2008, 05:57 AM
the mafia fund his flights to all the tournys..then steal his prize money :p

CyBorg
06-13-2008, 12:28 PM
I think this attitude is a bit too much - even for Davydenko.

The #4 player in the world should have the minimum amount of self belief,and try to prepare himself to the biggest tournament in the tennis world.

It wouldn't be unusual for a guy to skip Wimbledon. Kuerten did it.

Rhino
06-13-2008, 12:40 PM
Davydenko does everything he can NOT to win a slam

and yet he won miami which had all of the world's top players, and nobody would have picked him.

i think he has the best chance of winning a slam outside the trivolry.