PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY!!! The AG100 is HERE!!!

meowmix
06-11-2008, 04:25 PM
The time we have been waiting for has come- IT IS HERE.

HeadPrestige
06-11-2008, 04:36 PM
i really would have considered this racket if i hadnt already bought my rds.

m1stuhxsp4rk5
06-11-2008, 05:04 PM
i cant wait to get mine i should be coming in friday.

LanEvo
06-11-2008, 05:19 PM
yea its cheap also at $150bucks, ill probably pick one up on the FS/FT forum or something

meowmix
06-11-2008, 05:21 PM
Same. I just noticed the pj is very similar to the AG200. Anybody that has both the 100 and 200, can you comment?

BreakPoint
06-11-2008, 06:08 PM
Same. I just noticed the pj is very similar to the AG200. Anybody that has both the 100 and 200, can you comment?
The paintjobs are exactly the same for AG100 and AG200.

That bright metallic blue is the most awesomest color ever for a tennis racquet. Dunlop should paint ALL of its racquets that same, exact color! ;) :eek:

Best paintjob of any racquet from any brand by far. :-D

meowmix
06-11-2008, 06:09 PM
I thought they looked the same. I can't complain about the pj, they do look really nice. They're nice and simple, and easy on the eyes. They also look deceivingly peaceful.

mdjenders
06-11-2008, 06:26 PM
I am very anxious to hear the first impressions of this racquet when people start getting their frames later in the week. If the spin potential of the 100 is enhanced vs. the 200, it will be very attractive to me.

miniRafa386
06-11-2008, 06:52 PM
differences between 100 and 200?

Miami Tiburon
06-11-2008, 07:01 PM
I will have mine Tomorow I grabbed the last one in 4 1/4 in one of the other websites.

fortunecookiesjc
06-11-2008, 07:05 PM

200 is 18x20 95 headsize
100 is 16x19 90 headsize

YOu could say its like the k90 and k95 of the dunlop

m1stuhxsp4rk5
06-11-2008, 07:06 PM
waiting for my ag100 and asian k90 i will try and get a report on how they play
so excited about both rackets

Klatu Verata Necktie
06-11-2008, 07:14 PM

head size and string pattern.

100 = 90" 16x19
200 = 95" 18x20

fortunecookiesjc
06-11-2008, 07:18 PM
lol i just said that

routine125
06-11-2008, 07:55 PM
hey bp,

we had a thread a little earlier regarding the stiffness of the dunlop aerogel 100s. it seems like tw got the "european" batch of dunlop aerogel 100s. in our earlier thread i brought up there were 2 different stiffness specs on the ag 100s. one with a 62 stiffness (tw's batch) and the other a 63 stiffness (the one we thought was spec'd for the USA). the one with a 63 stiffness also had a "US Patent NO" sticker on the throat as well, the 62 stiffness did not.

i know you said there wasn't a difference in playing with each of the racquets, but after further play testing of both sticks, i feel that the 62 stiffness racquet felt a little flimsy compared to the 63 stiffness racquet (not much but noticable to me), and the grip on the 62 stiffness racquet felt a little smaller than normal. the 63 stiffness racquet's grip felt true to size.

routine125

BreakPoint
06-11-2008, 08:11 PM
I am very anxious to hear the first impressions of this racquet when people start getting their frames later in the week. If the spin potential of the 100 is enhanced vs. the 200, it will be very attractive to me.
The spin potential of the AG100 is DEFINITELY enhanced vs. the AG200.

BreakPoint
06-11-2008, 08:20 PM
hey bp,

we had a thread a little earlier regarding the stiffness of the dunlop aerogel 100s. it seems like tw got the "european" batch of dunlop aerogel 100s. in our earlier thread i brought up there were 2 different stiffness specs on the ag 100s. one with a 62 stiffness (tw's batch) and the other a 63 stiffness (the one we thought was spec'd for the USA). the one with a 63 stiffness also had a "US Patent NO" sticker on the throat as well, the 62 stiffness did not.

i know you said there wasn't a difference in playing with each of the racquets, but after further play testing of both sticks, i feel that the 62 stiffness racquet felt a little flimsy compared to the 63 stiffness racquet (not much but noticable to me), and the grip on the 62 stiffness racquet felt a little smaller than normal. the 63 stiffness racquet's grip felt true to size.

routine125
Hi routine,

I would disregard the stiffness spec printed on the frame, as TW does. TW's stiffness spec of 62 on their product page is what they actually measured from several frames on their RDC machine, not what's printed on the frame. They don't just re-list the specs printed on the frame but they actually string up several frames and then take all the measurements themselves on their RDC machine and then take the average for all the numbers. Thus, the frames could still state "RA 63" on them for all we know.

Like I said before, I noticed no difference in playability between the ones with "RA 62" and "RA 63" printed on them.

As far as the grip size, that's just quality control or lack thereof. Some will feel bigger and some will feel smaller even though they are all marked the same exact grip size. This happens with almost all brands and is a major gripe of mine with all manufacturer's quality control.

meowmix
06-11-2008, 08:23 PM
^^^ BP, question about Fischer's quality control with the no tolerance line. Does that cover grip size as well as racket weight?

BreakPoint
06-11-2008, 08:29 PM
^^^ BP, question about Fischer's quality control with the no tolerance line. Does that cover grip size as well as racket weight?
AFAIK, Fischer's "No Tolerance Guarantee" only covers weight and not the grip size nor anything else:

Here's what is stated on the TW product page:

Fischer No Tolerance Guarantee:
Fischer's No Tolerance Guarantee ensures each frame is made to its specified unstrung weight. Unstrung, unused frames feature a money-back guarantee good for 30 days from purchase if the customer is not satisfied the frame meets the weight specified.

Tennis Warehouse Guarantee
If TW strings your No Tolerance Fischer racquets with the same string, we guarantee them to match in weight. Unused racquets may be returned within 30 days of purchase.

Passion4Tennis
06-11-2008, 08:36 PM
I'm an all-court player with a sw forehand and 2hbh. I have a demo of the AG100 and 200, and I used both rackets today for the first time. I only hit with the AG200 for about 20 minutes. It is a stable racket, and it does have plenty of control, but I don't care for the swingweight. It's at least 5 points higher than I like. Most of the rackets I prefer fall between 318-326.

The AG100 felt great from the first ball I struck. I was able to get excellent topspin and slices with it, and I also felt very comfortable hitting flat shots. I was able to place my volleys nice and deep without too much effort. While serving, I predominately used topspin, and an occasional slice. I was very happy with the spin and pace I produced with both serves, and I didn't have to swing as fast as I normally do with my regular racket, a Wilson Rok.

The only problem I had with the 100 was during service returns. It did feel a little unstable when I was returning my opponent's bigger serves, but a few grams of lead here and there will solve that problem.

I have a feeling the AG100 will become a popular racket. It's a great racket for customization, and at $150, it's well worth the price. As soon as I get my next paycheck, I won't hesitate to buy one.

routine125
06-11-2008, 09:54 PM
Hey BP,

I had 2 of each of the 62 and 63 and my feedback has come from play testing both of them for a while. I know maybe 2 of the 62's are maybe not enough to solidfy my results, but it's better than one. I'm going to give TW a call tomorrow and ask what stiffness rating is printed on the racquets. I'd also be curious to know what feedback/results the TW team had with this racquet.

routine125

samster
06-11-2008, 10:26 PM
TW specs are strung. When a racket is strung, the RDC Stiffness goes down a little.

routine125
06-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Another marked spec that is different between the 62 stiffness and 63 stiffness ag 100 racquet is that in the throat were it is marked CONSTRUCTION.

On the 62 RA stiffness, the CONSTRUCTION says "M-FIL/AEROGEL"

On the 63 RA stiffness, the CONSTRUCTION says "AEROGEL/M-FIL"

m1stuhxsp4rk5
06-11-2008, 11:06 PM
routine
how come you decided to sell your aerogel 100? im getting it from the guy you sold it from. do you knwo if that one is a 63 or 62 flex rating?

Cup8489
06-11-2008, 11:10 PM
the spec's make me think of a more 'user-friendly' version of the k90...

i definitel think a demo is in order.

that paintjob is magic...

m1stuhxsp4rk5
06-11-2008, 11:15 PM
the spec's make me think of a more 'user-friendly' version of the k90...

i definitel think a demo is in order.

that paintjob is magic...

i agree the pj is beautiful i had the ag200 and i loved the pj

LafayetteHitter
06-12-2008, 12:48 AM
Has anyone put lead on one of these yet? If so how much and where?

logansc
06-12-2008, 08:05 AM

I added lead to mine, I basically just cut strips of 1/2 lead long enough to fit inside either side of the throat. When I first hit with this stick I thought it swung very light, after I added the weight to the middle PLUS a leather grip, it hit like a dream.

Mr. Blond
06-12-2008, 08:28 AM

Did you get your demo yet? How is it? I have been watching for this sucker for a year now.

SlapShot
06-12-2008, 08:28 AM
The AG100 is hawt. If I were to switch frames, I'd take a serious look at going back to Dunlop.

MrAWD
06-12-2008, 08:40 AM
I played with one for a short while last week and it feel pretty light to swing with. I have not played with the 200 so compare to my Redondo Mid the ball doesn't stay on the string bed as long as with Redondo. It feels like it flies off right away. Still I was still getting decent control from the stick and I could place to ball well even after the short while. Maybe some lead will help it feel a little more compact, but overall it is a nice stick!

Fedja

Nellie
06-12-2008, 08:50 AM
All this talk about the Babolat Pure Storm limited, when all of the sudden, the AeroGel 100 pops out with similar stats.

SlapShot
06-12-2008, 08:52 AM
All this talk about the Babolat Pure Storm limited, when all of the sudden, the AeroGel 100 pops out with similar stats.

You mean, apart from the different string pattern and smaller head, right?

logansc
06-12-2008, 08:53 AM
The AG100 has been around for a long time, just not in the US market.

meowmix
06-12-2008, 09:06 AM
^^^ I know. But now I can actually get my hands on one, without having to pay shipping from the UK.

Nellie
06-12-2008, 10:11 AM
You mean, apart from the different string pattern and smaller head, right?

Yes, since if you overlay them, they are very similar except for an extra string near the throat and about a half inch in stringbed width on the Babolat.

Otherwise, they have about the same weight, swingwieght, and length, beam, flex, etc.

LafayetteHitter
06-12-2008, 10:18 AM
Did you get your demo yet? How is it? I have been watching for this sucker for a year now.

The place I ordered the demo from ended up not having demos "after" I called and confirmed it was available and paid for it. I will make sure we get together as soon as I get one though. I plan on demoing the Pure Storm LTD at the same time.

BreakPoint
06-12-2008, 11:24 AM
Yes, since if you overlay them, they are very similar except for an extra string near the throat and about a half inch in stringbed width on the Babolat.

Otherwise, they have about the same weight, swingwieght, and length, beam, flex, etc.
The head on the AG100 is even smaller than that on the K90 so it should be quite a bit smaller than the head on the Pure Storm Ltd. Even a small difference in head size when you overlay two racquets will make a significant difference in the way the racquets play.

Even a 90 is too big for Sampras so that he's asking Wilson to make an 88 for him. Yes, good players will notice even a 2 sq. in. difference in play even though most will not be able to tell that small of a difference from just looking at the racquets.

LafayetteHitter
06-12-2008, 11:36 AM
BP, I had some of the Muscle Weave 90 frames a couple years ago. I noticed they were virtually identical to the PC600 in mold shape. The specs and string pattern on the AG100 a very different from these but do you know if the mold itself is similar?

jayserinos99
06-12-2008, 11:45 AM
I had both the AG100 and MW90 and they are quite similar as far as the mold goes.

BreakPoint
06-12-2008, 11:46 AM
BP, I had some of the Muscle Weave 90 frames a couple years ago. I noticed they were virtually identical to the PC600 in mold shape. The specs and string pattern on the AG100 a very different from these but do you know if the mold itself is similar?
I've never owned a MW 90 so I can't say for sure. But, the head shape of the AG100 is much closer to that of the PC600 than it is to that of the K90. My guess is that the hoop of the AG100 is actually 89 sq. in. or 89.5 sq. in.

LafayetteHitter
06-12-2008, 11:55 AM
The MW90 came about when Safin was picked up by Dunlop. My MW90 frames came from Paul and were marked for Safin actually. They were very very similar to he PC600 and it was thought by some that the mold from the PC600 was used for it. Upon seeing the AG100 I wondered if they hadn't take the old mold and tweaked the specs into a more user friendly customizable frame.

Miami Tiburon
06-12-2008, 01:26 PM
This sucks,my new 100 aerogel arrived today and we are like in a monsoon in Miami.What are you going to do,I quess I will just admire the damm thing.

LafayetteHitter
06-12-2008, 01:29 PM
Yea that is a waste of a good frame. Send it my way it's clear and hot here today.

Miami Tiburon
06-12-2008, 02:01 PM
The worst part it looks bad tomorow too.Maybe Saturday, thats a tropical climate for you rainy summer afternoons

Bud
06-12-2008, 03:37 PM
The worst part it looks bad tomorow too.Maybe Saturday, thats a tropical climate for you rainy summer afternoons

Practice against an interior wall :-o

Miami Tiburon
06-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Good news ,the weather held up and we were able to dry one court at our local tennis center.I got in about an hour of easy practice.This is a great racquet feels and plays bigger than a 90 sq.I had not played with a 90 in a very long time.Found racquet to have a generous sweet spot.Racquet is a little on the light side good power and really good control.Very happy I got it came strung at 60 lbs. prince synthetic gut 16 gauge.I highly recommend you give it a try .I am curious to see how it serves and volleys hopefully weather permitting I will play tomorow.

Cup8489
06-12-2008, 10:03 PM
yeah, i have to get a pair. my coach has two already, and i hit with one today..

magic. pure magic.

routine125
06-12-2008, 10:18 PM
routine
how come you decided to sell your aerogel 100? im getting it from the guy you sold it from. do you knwo if that one is a 63 or 62 flex rating?

Got into grad school and moving from one coast to the other coast...from hot to cold (or right now hot to hot). Just bringing 2 suitcases of clothes and my laptop, no more tennis for a while....but a lot of debt upcoming... ;(

routine125
06-12-2008, 10:29 PM
Another marked spec that is different between the 62 stiffness and 63 stiffness ag 100 racquet is that in the throat were it is marked CONSTRUCTION.

On the 62 RA stiffness, the CONSTRUCTION says "M-FIL/AEROGEL"

On the 63 RA stiffness, the CONSTRUCTION says "AEROGEL/M-FIL"

Called up TW, and the racquets they have stocked, have 63 RA printed on the throat of the racquets. So these are the batch for the US.

routine125
06-12-2008, 10:38 PM
Definitely recommend putting lead in the head of the racquet at 3 & 9, especially if players are use to heavier racquets. The AG 100 is really light stock form. However from many previous users of the racquet, they experimented with different amounts of lead, to get the right feel.

In stock form, the racquet hits nice and soft. It almost has a buttery feel, but can be light to users who are use to heavier racquets.

However, I believe BP just installed a leather grip on and an overgrip and has been using it without lead, and it is working for him.

Word of caution, some players who are use to a "plow through" racquet, might find this racquet a turn off. I've had some of my friends use it, and half of them said it really felt "pingy" to them when striking the ball. However all of them said, it felt like it played bigger than a 90 sq. inch racquet.

Look forward to the reviews from the new users of the AG100....happy hitting!

Deuce
06-12-2008, 10:56 PM

The MW90 came about when Safin was picked up by Dunlop. My MW90 frames came from Paul and were marked for Safin actually. They were very very similar to he PC600 and it was thought by some that the mold from the PC600 was used for it. Upon seeing the AG100 I wondered if they hadn't take the old mold and tweaked the specs into a more user friendly customizable frame.
I've had a few Prestige Classic Mids over the years, and I had a few MW 90 frames for a time, and the mold for the MW 90 was quite different than the Prestige Classic mold.

If your MW 90 frames were once destined to be used by Safin himself, then they likely either had a special mold/ingredients to match the Prestige Classic (which had been Safin's racquet for some time before he switched to Dunlop), or they were actual Prestige Classics painted with the MW graphics.
Because, as I said, the MW 90 and the Prestige Classic has significantly different molds.

BreakPoint
06-12-2008, 11:11 PM
Called up TW, and the racquets they have stocked, have 63 RA printed on the throat of the racquets. So these are the batch for the US.
Makes sense. The ones I had that were made earlier had "RA 62" on them, while the one I got that was made later had "RA 63" on it. So at some point in the middle of last year they changed the decal from 62 to 63, thus, the newer ones that TW has now should all have 63.

BreakPoint
06-12-2008, 11:19 PM
However, I believe BP just installed a leather grip on and an overgrip and has been using it without lead, and it is working for him.

Correct. All I did with mine is remove the stock grip and replaced it with a thick Babolat leather grip (1.7mm), and because they were all 4 3/8 and my normal grip size is 4 1/2, I added two thick, heavy overgips over the leather grip to build up the grip. This was enough to increase the weight to 12.5 oz. and make the racquet very headlight, probably over 10 pts HL. I also experimented with adding some lead tape to 3 and 9 but it didn't make it all that much more stable and at the cost of reduced maneuverability so I took the lead tape back off and played with it without any lead at all.

nn
06-13-2008, 11:18 AM
Correct. All I did with mine is remove the stock grip and replaced it with a thick Babolat leather grip (1.7mm), and because they were all 4 3/8 and my normal grip size is 4 1/2, I added two thick, heavy overgips over the leather grip to build up the grip. This was enough to increase the weight to 12.5 oz. and make the racquet very headlight, probably over 10 pts HL. I also experimented with adding some lead tape to 3 and 9 but it didn't make it all that much more stable and at the cost of reduced maneuverability so I took the lead tape back off and played with it without any lead at all.

so did you hit with it and your thoughts if you did??

BreakPoint
06-13-2008, 11:41 AM
so did you hit with it and your thoughts if you did??
Yes, I owned four of them. Here's my review of it from last Sept.: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=157349