PDA

View Full Version : Yonex frames

clarky
06-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Hi All,

I am looking to get a Yonex frame to replace my 2 Head MG Extreme Pro's.

I am 32, I am mostly a baseline player, big forehand, topspin off both sides and a slice backhand, also come to the net to finish off points, and also play quite a bit of doubles. What Yonex would suit, I was looking at the RDS 001 MP or the RDS 002 tour. I am leaning towards the Yonex for the quality control, as I know they are made in Japan. The last lot of Head racquets I have owned have been shocking, the weight has been way out, had to have them customised, and one grip was significantly smaller than the other, the logos were slighlty different on one, they felt completely different, both were genuine and brought from a tennis store here. And the paint chips so easily, id rather get the Yonex and get what I pay for. My friend has 4 of them, and they are so much better quality, its really noticeable how much better they are. I hate chinese made racquets, I had some old Head LM Rads 2 made in Austria were so much better than the chinese ones.
Any advice would be appreciated.

LanEvo
06-11-2008, 09:00 PM
id say rds 001 mp because i was a past owner of an rds 001 mid

counterpuncher
06-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Demo if you can. The RDS001 mp will feel most similar to your current racquets because of the weight and stiffness with less power. The RDS002 tour while it has slightly more power than the RDS001 mp, it is noticeably heavier and flexier.

Syfo-Dias
06-11-2008, 10:00 PM
You should also consider the 002 Tour UL. TW doesn't mention this, but if you get the 002 Tour in grip size 1 or 2 it's the UL version which weighs 310 grams unstrung. The SL version comes in grips above size 2 and weighs 330 grams unstrung. After replacing the stock grip, adding an overgrip, head tape and vibration dampener the UL feels just about right to me. If I did that with the SL, I think it would be way too heavy.

mitsuki
06-11-2008, 10:06 PM
You are in the exact situation that i had. I also played with the extreme pro and was dissatisfied with the quality (great racquet though) and decided to move to yonex. I switched to the rds 001 mp but also tried out the 002 tour. If you like the solid feel of the microgel, then go with the 001 mp, but if you want more power, go with the 002 tour.

clarky
06-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Hi guys thanks for the feedback.

Mitsuki, I understand. I am just really dis-appointed in the quality of my microgel Extreme, the paint comes off so easy, its just a joke, they are not cheap here in Australia around $250 per piece, and I just hate paying for cheap chinese workmanship, I brought two and both feel so different, its just crazy stuff. So I am moving to Yonex more in protest of the cheap chinese racquets, I just hate paying top dollar for sub standard frames. The japanese do such a better job, my friend has two RDS 002 tours, they are the exact same weight, no customsing, they feel exactly the same.

Yonex make good frames, so I am just going to go with those. I wish head would go back to making their frames in Czech or Austria, its such false economy to make them in China. I know if they charged more for making in Austria I would happily pay the extra cost. Pathetic the quality and my friends Wilsons are terrible too, not a good state at the moment.

counterpuncher
06-11-2008, 10:24 PM
As much as I love my Yonex's for feel and quality, the paint does chip off very easily also - nothing head tape generally can't prevent.

clarky
06-11-2008, 10:35 PM
Hi Counterpuncher,

What yonex do you use? I am not so worried about pain chips, as I am about 2 of the same racquets feeling so different, its so noticeable. The yonex always seem to have great quality control compared to the others. head have been bad over the past few years, seems to be getting worse.

Ross K
06-11-2008, 10:42 PM
From what I've heard the RDS 003 also shouldn't be forgotten about - it's like a PD but with a tad more control apparently... can anyone confirm that?

counterpuncher
06-11-2008, 10:43 PM
I have gone MP1-98 to RDX500mp to Rd-Ti80 to RDX300mp to RDS001mp to RDS002 SL Tour to now the RQiS1 and RDS002 Tour UL.

I still have the RDS which I will sell off soon, but am still alternating between the RQiS1 and the RDS002 Tour UL. Now that my doubles comp has finished for the season I can experiment a little more before settling on one : )

counterpuncher
06-11-2008, 10:46 PM
From what I've heard the RDS 003 also shouldn't be forgotten about - it's like a PD but with a tad more control apparently... can anyone confirm that?

While I haven't owned either I have demoed both and in general terms I would agree. The RDS003 though isn't as stable and IMO feels and plays lighter even though it isn't.

mitsuki
06-11-2008, 10:51 PM
Yeah, my rds 001 chips easily too. i enjoy the matte pj, but maybe having a gloss finish would make it more durable.

vndesu
06-11-2008, 11:49 PM
rdx500 or the rds002 tour

dufferok
06-12-2008, 07:28 AM
I switched from the Head LM Radical over to Yonex RDX 300 MP --> Yonex RDX 500 MP --> Yonex RDS 001 --> Yonex RDS 002 (non tour version) with lead at 3 & 9 o'clock, increasing weight to 11.5 oz.

I play both singles and doubles in league and tournament play and have found the Yonex RDS 002 (non tour) with added weight to be the best fit for my game. The RDX 300 was too powerful, the RDX 500 too flexible, the RDS 001 not enough power, the RDS 002 (non tour) just right but off center hits suffered, added lead tape, all is good now.

For those that ever hit with the HEAD Ti.Radical, the Yonex RDS 002 (non-tour) hits similar but with a touch more power. With all the above said, if you can handle the weight of the Yonex RDS 002 tour version, go for the heavier version. Personally, my shoulder appreciates a lighter racket when playing 2-3 matches in one day.

crosscourt
06-12-2008, 01:06 PM
If you like a racket with a bit of extra power, the RQS7 or RDS003 are both very good rackets for baseline play.

cc

wilfreb
06-12-2008, 07:36 PM
yonex rackets are made with top quality controls and materials.