PDA

View Full Version : Petition to bring back Wilson 6.0 85

jorel
06-12-2008, 12:55 PM
has one ever been started. if not.... let this be the first... please add on if you agree

drakulie
06-12-2008, 01:11 PM
Yes, one has been started. You will need to do a search.

I myself would sign it, but only under the conditions that it be made in St. Vincent. If it is still going to be manufactered in China, then I'll pass.

treblings
06-12-2008, 01:41 PM
How many people would be needed to sign that petition before Wilson responds?

nickb
06-12-2008, 02:17 PM
1,000,000.....even then they prob wouldnt care.

onkystomper
06-12-2008, 02:19 PM
you can pick this up in japan. check out tennis house eddy in osaka or go through yahoo auctions japan

geesechops
06-12-2008, 06:17 PM
I bought 5 in the past month off the bay for about $100-150 each all in great condition. There are plenty out there to snag up because they have been making them for years. Most people buy one or two to try out because they have heard so many great things about them, but end up going with a more modern racquet in the long run and they end up showing up on the bay just about every day. And you know Wilson won't listen to us anyways.

Player13
06-12-2008, 09:38 PM
I bought about 5 in the past month off the bay for about $100-150 each all in great condition. There are plenty out there to snag up because they have been making them for years. Most people buy one or two to try out because they have heard so many great things about them, but end up going with a more modern racquet in the long run and end up showing up on the bay just about every day. And you know Wilson won't listen to us anyways.

What is the bay and where is this site, so I can purchase a ProStaff 6.0 85 from?

BreakPoint
06-12-2008, 10:08 PM
What is the bay and where is this site, so I can purchase a ProStaff 6.0 85 from?
That would be the one with "e" in front of it. :)

Harry_Wild
06-12-2008, 10:36 PM
I think the reason they have discontinue the PS 6.0 85 is that they hope the 90-95 size model will take it's place. There is a thread here or in the Player's Racquet section talking about this up coming racket that Pete Sampras is one of the developer of it! Here is the link over 16 pages long:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=184990&highlight=pete

jorel
06-13-2008, 04:22 AM
I think the reason they have discontinue the PS 6.0 85 is that they hope the 90-95 size model will take it's place. There is a thread here or in the Player's Racquet section talking about this up coming racket that Pete Sampras is one of the developer of it! Here is the link over 16 pages long:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=184990&highlight=pete

we will see... the Kfactorized 90 certainly is not a replacement

TheShaun
06-13-2008, 05:40 AM
http://www.petitiononline.com/TTW7788/petition.html

bluetrain4
06-13-2008, 06:11 AM
Yes, one has been started. You will need to do a search.

I myself would sign it, but only under the conditions that it be made in St. Vincent. If it is still going to be manufactered in China, then I'll pass.

I don't think the St. Vincent facility exists anymore.

geesechops
06-13-2008, 08:15 AM
They discontinued it so they could try to get us hooked on the new racquets that they end up changing every two years so we have to buy more. If they kept selling the PS 6.0 85 as is, people would stock up on a few and play with them till they broke (which would be a while) then buy a few more years later. But, for those stubborn ones that wont let go (like ME) they have created a demand with the void of the PS85 and we are eagery awaiting the 88 sq in Sampras racquet in hope of a replacement (I prob won't switch though). If it ends up being a dud they could always bring back the PS85 (which I highly doubt) because then the demand would be even higher. Wilson thinks mo $$$$$$

federer envies me
06-13-2008, 10:44 AM
http://www.petitiononline.com/TTW7788/petition.html

thanks for the link!!!!! I signed the petition

Ronaldo
06-13-2008, 10:48 AM
Bring em back without bumperguards like the Chicago version.

bossass
06-13-2008, 03:20 PM

The reason Sampras, and thus everyone, covets the St. Vincent version is the factory there had a high level of quality control. Putting a new factory there with new people, on new machines, and new "standard" and practices of production would do nothing to recreate the fabled St. Vincent. It'd be pointless to begin making them there again.

Basically, you could easily recreate the St. Vincent anywhere with quality control. How good a racket is has nothing at all to do with where it's made.

jorel
06-16-2008, 08:27 AM
The reason Sampras, and thus everyone, covets the St. Vincent version is the factory there had a high level of quality control. Putting a new factory there with new people, on new machines, and new "standard" and practices of production would do nothing to recreate the fabled St. Vincent. It'd be pointless to begin making them there again.

Basically, you could easily recreate the St. Vincent anywhere with quality control. How good a racket is has nothing at all to do with where it's made.

the st vincent "mold" was also destroyed when the factory caught fire... if you look at the st vincent, taiwan, and China ones... the throats all look different

geesechops
06-16-2008, 10:10 AM
If the Chinese can reverse engineer the iphone I think it is possible to create a duplicate mold of a tennis racquet.

BreakPoint
06-16-2008, 11:07 AM

Actually, Sampras preferred the St. Vincent made PS 6.0 85's because the molds didn't close properly so the frames were out of spec at 18mm thick instead of the spec'd 17mm, so they were stiffer than spec.

Ronaldo
06-16-2008, 01:49 PM
Wonder why that guy in Ann Arbor with the Pro Staff 85 and Prince Graphite II mp molds won't break em out again and start producing real sticks? Cayman, holla if you hear this

jorel
09-02-2008, 04:34 AM
Wonder why that guy in Ann Arbor with the Pro Staff 85 and Prince Graphite II mp molds won't break em out again and start producing real sticks? Cayman, holla if you hear this

its prob illegal... im thinking thats why they stopped

Ronaldo
09-02-2008, 08:36 AM
its prob illegal... im thinking thats why they stopped

Dunno, ckout the www.racquetresearch.com site for the specs on those old Cayman racquets. Suspect they were just too old school for the new millenium, eh?

netman
09-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Maybe Wilson dumped them because they aren't suited for today's power game?

VGP
09-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Wilson dropped them because:

A: there's no pro player out there that's using one
B: there's no way to sell them to the Sunday doubles league crowd

Result of A - no fanboy (or girl) market
Result of B - not light/maneuverable/powerful enough

Reason for A - up for interpretation if it's 1) not suitable because no (or not enough) results at the top level tennis to demonstrate with which one can succeed 2) since no top level player is seen wielding it, no market for emulation

Reason for B - not the "player's" frame demographic so no one would want a heavy small-headed frame since these players arm the ball.

Bend008x
09-02-2008, 03:20 PM
I rather they bring back the 95 :???:

jorel
09-03-2008, 04:00 AM
Maybe Wilson dumped them because they aren't suited for today's power game?
and the K90 is???

jorel
09-03-2008, 04:01 AM
Wilson dropped them because:

A: there's no pro player out there that's using one

maybe because they dont sell them anymore... its a sircular arguement:oops::-?

geesechops
09-03-2008, 12:41 PM

He isn't making anymore Cayman racquets. He still has a few left, but no Cayman TNT's. They moved closer to the Varsity tennis team, because their first priority is stringing the UMich Tennis teams racquets. Although, they do sell a bunch of racquets, bags and shoes still. I'll ask him why he stopped producing racquets, but it's probably because they didn't sell that well.

VGP
09-03-2008, 01:26 PM
maybe because they dont sell them anymore... its a sircular arguement:oops::-?

In this case, no. Sampras continued to use the SV exclusively long after they were no longer made there. That allowed Wilson to make ones that look like the ones he was using.

I heard that they were going to discontinue the frame altogether in 1993-94. Pretty much after a couple of years in production from Taiwan. But, the frame still got plenty of visibility because of Sampras. There was still some influence on the women's side from Mary Pierce at this time - winning the Australian Open with the PS85 in 1995. This even got Federer on board eventually with the Chinese PS85s that he even called the "Sampras" racket. Federer using it until 2002 still kept it around.

Pros, like us have access to lots of rackets. If there was one that swore by the PS85 still and refused to change, if the guy or girl was on TV (enough), the PS85 would still be in production - guaranteed.

.....and no, Aaron Krickstein on the senior tour doesn't seem to have as much pull.

netman
09-03-2008, 03:57 PM
refused[/u] to change, if the guy or girl was on TV (enough), the PS85 would still be in production - guaranteed.

So I take it you are confirming what I said earlier. If your paycheck depends on the equipment you take to battle, no one is staking their livelihood on the PS 85.

VGP
09-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Yeah, I guess.

Since it's no longer gonna be readily available, I'm pretty sure no one coming up (i.e. juniors) is gonna take up the frame to make a living with it. Tell me what junior that's approached with a sponsorship deal wouldn't pass up free or discounted current model frames for having to pay out of pocket for a discontinued racket?

Since it doesn't appeal to the Sunday doubles league club crowd, it's not gonna sell there either.

The demographic that still wants to use the frame that's also unwilling to move on to a Wilson substitute (i.e. K90) is just too small to cater too.

The only way the PS85 coming back is if Federer switches back or if Sampras starts using it in high profile senior matches and televised exos.

It's more likely that the "Sampras" prototype of earlier this year reaches retail production than the PS85 coming back in a big way.

Perhaps Wilson could make limited productions runs for nostalgia sake.

If not, it's officially been retired.

nCode747
09-03-2008, 04:21 PM
wilson is a very smart company. they know that the PS 6.0 85 is missed and many people want to bring it back. so thats why they made the k90 it look almost the same with a diffrent cosmetic.

VGP
09-03-2008, 07:39 PM
^^^^ it's not the "same" enough for the PS85 diehards.

some6uy008
09-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Has any company ever bought back a racker that they have discontinued?

superstition
09-03-2008, 10:25 PM
There is a big tennis outlet in Cincinnati that constantly sold out of PS 85s. The company would say the racquet is discontinued periodically and then get a new shipment that would sell out.

The bottom line is that people were buying the racquet, even until it was completely discontinued. It was never discounted. The stock never sat long. The racquets sold.

GarrettReid
08-28-2010, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I guess.

Since it's no longer gonna be readily available, I'm pretty sure no one coming up (i.e. juniors) is gonna take up the frame to make a living with it. Tell me what junior that's approached with a sponsorship deal wouldn't pass up free or discounted current model frames for having to pay out of pocket for a discontinued racket?

I'm a junior player and I'd love to try one of these things. I've read so much about how much better it is then my beloved BLX90. And I'd definitely pass up a new racket that I hate, for a used racket that I love.

VGP
08-28-2010, 08:05 PM
Then by all means try and take one out on court.

If you do, please share your experience.

(Thanks for digging up my post......has it been almost 2 years already?)

GarrettReid
08-28-2010, 09:10 PM
Funny you should mention that. I found this post because I was looking for somewhere I could actually buy one of the 85's and this post was kind of close to the top of google search.