PDA

View Full Version : Question: Does a heavier racket crack less easily

meowmix
06-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Does weight have any effect on how easily a racket cracks? Would a 9 ounce granny stick crack more easily or less easily than a 12 ounce player's stick?

dacrymn
06-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Ask yourself this question:

Would that make sense?

To me, no, given that they're made of the same material. A heavier racket is not made of a "more dense material" than a lighter racket, so...

But it definitely feels that way, doesn't it?

pow
06-12-2008, 05:57 PM
Lighter racquets for the most part, have a thicker beam width, that definitely helps. I've seen cracked PS 85's cracked at the throat and never hammers unless they're abused.

Not always a sure thing though because weight is not always an accurate indicator of how the racquet is made, I've seen my friend shatter the sides of a light Prince Thunder something, it's a light and relatively thin racquet.

meowmix
06-12-2008, 06:16 PM
In that case, would beam size affect cracking more than would weight?

kwisatch
06-13-2008, 06:47 AM
I think you should look at stiffness instead of weight. A stiffer racquet would be more likely to crack if my materials knowledge is correct.

Il Mostro
06-13-2008, 07:16 AM
You mean when they are thrown? :-)

meowmix
06-13-2008, 07:24 AM
That and just under normal conditions. Ex. Would Jollyroger crack a Big Bubba faster or slower than he would his k90?

BAMF
06-13-2008, 11:23 AM
no..............

Zhou
06-13-2008, 11:25 AM
That and just under normal conditions. Ex. Would Jollyroger crack a Big Bubba faster or slower than he would his k90?

Faster because he would smash it on the ground saying WTF is this piece of junk.

pow
06-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Anything will crack if you abuse it, no point in buying a racquet that can take abuse, or playing tennis at all for that matter.

It's mainly about construction, I've seen stiff thin frames crack like the PS85 (it's moderately stiff actually)
I've seen numerous Pure Drives break after the owner slams the racquet, I've seen way too many PD users go through temper tantrums in my days of high school tennis.

NBlades I've read, often cracks at the throat... my nblade is ok but I don't play with it too often.

I think it's mainly dependent on the frame design and materials used which differ on an individual basis.

nickb
06-13-2008, 11:39 AM
Wilson Tour 90s are build like tanks!

So yes...

lethalfang
06-13-2008, 12:43 PM
I think you should look at stiffness instead of weight. A stiffer racquet would be more likely to crack if my materials knowledge is correct.

Correct. That's why high rise buildings are built to be flexible, so they flex during earthquakes but do not collapse.

federer envies me
06-13-2008, 12:48 PM
yes... I once had a 9 ounce raquet long ago and it cracked really easily. Two other people I know who had similiar weighted racquets also had this problem. I never have had a heavier raquet break

msc886
06-13-2008, 01:52 PM
As far as I know. Thicker beams are more resisant to cracking and more flexible beams are more resistant to cracking. It mostly depends on the throat where most of the racquet bending ocuurs.

PROTENNIS63
06-13-2008, 02:53 PM
I never heard of that. But Babolats crack easily (specifically Pure Drives as they are hollow)