PDA

View Full Version : Question: What governs racket prices?

meowmix
06-12-2008, 05:30 PM
Apart from being fresh out of development, what else governs racket price? What makes Head able to sell the crossbows for close to 250 and the MG Prestiges for only 200?

Rollingpotato
06-12-2008, 06:08 PM
Your Desire。

guynamedsean
06-12-2008, 06:10 PM
The NARP. The National Association of Racquet Pricing.

babolat141
06-12-2008, 06:23 PM
The NARP. The National Association of Racquet Pricing.

no its the IORA

Insanly
Overpriced
Racket
Association

ndtennis
06-12-2008, 06:26 PM
I think a hunk of it is becuase they have to pay for the high endorsments that companies use. But mostly Supply and Demand. Another big part is the middle man. Just keeps uping the price every time

FaultsNAces
06-12-2008, 07:11 PM
Ummm, supply and demand in our wonderfuly capitalistic democracy?

meowmix
06-12-2008, 07:12 PM
I don't think that Kneissel rackets have much of a demand, but the price is still very high... Why?

meowmix
06-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Ummm, supply and demand in our wonderfuly capitalistic democracy?

True, but one problem. The best selling rackets right now are rackets like the PD, the k90, radical, aerogel 300, etc. They're all selling for under 200. Why does a racket like the Kzero command a price tag of 250? It's definately not a supply side economics problem...

rayallen333
06-12-2008, 07:16 PM
some fat old man who is president of wilson's tennis division decides. he probably has never ever picked up a racquet...

Klatu Verata Necktie
06-12-2008, 07:25 PM
True, but one problem. The best selling rackets right now are rackets like the PD, the k90, radical, aerogel 300, etc. They're all selling for under 200. Why does a racket like the Kzero command a price tag of 250? It's definately not a supply side economics problem...

People that purchase geezer type racquets probably won't stock up on a stick in order to play tournaments. How many KZeros will cutomers be buying as opposed to Prestige players? If you're going to sell one or two units, compared to Jollyroger's 17 frames per year, you may as well get as much as possible.

Rabbit
06-12-2008, 08:08 PM
It is kinda funny that "players" frames sell for less than 'game improvement' frames.

Do they really have advanced graphite in those 125+ square inch frames? Or, are those folks just more likely to pay the price for advancement?

Tennisguy777
06-12-2008, 08:13 PM

Do you really think the AG300 is a best selling racquet? I might be helping Dunlop achieve that since I own 3. I don't know anyone near me who plays with them.

ollinger
06-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Supply and demand really doesn't explain pricing for discretionary items like tennis racquets because the supply is "elastic" in economic terms -- it can be adjusted based on the demand. Lots of demand -- the supply suddenly increases. They can make as many as they need to. Supply, ultimately, can be almost infinite. So what determines price? Market research studying what different segments of the market are willing to pay. "Granny" sticks are targeted more towards the elderly and leisure class, who have far more discretionary assets and income than most youth, so the racquets cost more. Since supply and demand really doesn't apply here, a Kneissl costs what everything else costs because market research shows that the exclusivity and rareness of it is such that people will pay merely for that reason alone.

Murray_Maniac
06-12-2008, 08:16 PM
Old people racquets cost more because old ppl have $$$$$$$$$$.

Young ppl racq.s cost less because they have $$$.

Simple as that. Its not because the racquets are "better".