PDA

View Full Version : Vantage Style 6.1?

SFrazeur
06-12-2008, 08:45 PM
Do any Vantage Users out there have any experience with achieving a Vantage facsimile of the general playability a 6.1?

If anyone has, can you give a description of racquet flex of the Vantage facsimile?

Specs wise I've got my eyes on the specs of the K95X. :)

I seen some posts where users have been able to order their racquets to somewhat specific specs in regard to weight, and I think possibly swing weight? Can anyone shed further light on this for me? If yes, I think the 360ish swing weight of the K95X might be a bit far from reach.

Also, if any Vantage Users out there feel like preaching or educating then feel free.

-SF

Ross K
06-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Also, if any Vantage Users out there feel like preaching or educating then feel free.-SF

"Take it away, the young Reverend Nicholas!"...

SFrazeur
06-12-2008, 10:43 PM

Yes, brother, King of the Babolatians. . .

-SF

nickb
06-13-2008, 02:41 AM

haha...here we go!

Hi SFrazeur,

Im sponsored by vantage and starting to work promoting the producs also.

If you are looking for something similar to the KSix-One X the 70RA option fits the bill...it wont feel as stiff as the ksix-one X...the 70RA is unstrung and feels much lower when strung (around 65). The vantages remind me of the 6.1s but with more feel and a lower SW.

I actually have a couple 70RA 95, 12pts HL, 330g, 16x19 frames right now but will be getting 63RA as my main frames. They are the best rackets I have ever used...I cant wait to get the 63RA as im used to 60 flex (fischer).

You can give Paul a call any time for some help...he can help you out with the SW questions.

Nick

McLovin
06-13-2008, 04:48 AM
So, once again, do you have any info on when the next sale will be? I've got my specs all laid out, but I'm going to buy 3 (Tournament offer 2), but I can't justify dropping $660 on new sticks.

nickb
06-13-2008, 05:09 AM
So, once again, do you have any info on when the next sale will be? I've got my specs all laid out, but I'm going to buy 3 (Tournament offer 2), but I can't justify dropping $660 on new sticks.

I dont know about the sale...there has been one for the last 2 years so im guessing there will be another but not for a while.

Nick

McLovin
06-13-2008, 05:31 AM
Yeah, I missed it back in Feb., but someone here mentioned they might hold one every 6 months instead of annually. I'll just keep plugging away w/ my 7 year old frames until then.

Mansewerz
06-13-2008, 05:40 AM

I believe it will be February 8th or sometime around then.

Also, a frame's flex goes down after being strung? How much?

06-13-2008, 09:00 AM
Yeah Feb it was this year!

Can someone tell me the strung weight off the 320g rackets?

SLow
06-13-2008, 09:37 AM
My 320g strung racquets weighed around 11.9-12.0 depending on strings. 12.2 usually with an overgrip.

ohplease
06-13-2008, 10:25 AM
Do any Vantage Users out there have any experience with achieving a Vantage facsimile of the general playability a 6.1?

If anyone has, can you give a description of racquet flex of the Vantage facsimile?

Specs wise I've got my eyes on the specs of the K95X. :)

I seen some posts where users have been able to order their racquets to somewhat specific specs in regard to weight, and I think possibly swing weight? Can anyone shed further light on this for me? If yes, I think the 360ish swing weight of the K95X might be a bit far from reach.

Also, if any Vantage Users out there feel like preaching or educating then feel free.

-SF

Generally, Wilsons tend to be pretty torsionally solid, which tends to make them surprisingly unforgiving given a particular stiffness. Heads, in contrast, are pretty torsionally soft, so even their stiffer frames tend to be pretty forgiving on mishits, if somewhat less stable.

Vantage frames are just about exactly where you'd expect them to be both torsionally and longitudinally. That's probably the single characteristic that makes them seem more like old school frames, as more recent sticks seem to over- or under-emphasize flex on a given axis, lending a sort of out of balance vibe. If you're after a K95X, this difference could be a deal breaker.

Additionally, Vantages (at least in my experiences with the 100 in standard length) run at significantly lower swingweights than you'd expect. Mine spec out at only around 4-5 points headlight, strung, and they still clearly have a lower swingweight than similar frames at 7-8 points headlight.

Swingweight is, unfortunately, not part of the ordering form, so if it's really important to you, get in touch w/Paul and make sure you're all on the same page.

One other thing - I've always found the 6.1 frames, regardless of generation, to be a bit bludgeony in that there's a point where you can really start to put a hurt on the ball above and beyond what you're putting into the swing. I've found my Vantages (at 63 RA) to be much more linear in response.

origmarm
07-22-2008, 01:37 AM
SF I attempted to do almost exactly this in that I wanted a PSC6.1 without the stiffness. I ordered the following (unstrung):

Frame size 95sq",
String pattern 16x19,
Stiffness 63 RA,
Length 27",
Weight & Balance 330g / 11.7oz, 310mm / 10pts HL

I would say the following about it:
- 10pts headlight was not enough to make it similar to PSC, go more headlight than this.
- The response as ohplease suggests, was more linear than the PSC, but then I had the 63 flex frame. I felt that it was significantly softer than this (say 58-60ish) in reality when strung up to go. If you want it similar, I would go with the 70RA
- The feel of the frame was marginally better imo than the 6.1 but it had than similar "dense" quality.
- The swingweight felt lighter for sure also as ohplease mentions
- The beam is different, not sure if this makes a difference to you but it definitely flexed a little differently. I felt the stiffness was more uniform throughout the frame than the PSC which I felt flexed right at the top of the handle as a flexpoint. But then it could just be me....
- Last but not least, it's hard to describe but it cut the air differently. I felt it cut through better on the more spinny shots but less well on the flat balls than the PSC. Not sure why, just a feeling

Hope it helps. I still have the frame and if you want I can measure it for you or similar though Paul is usually very helpful. There are some pics here if you want to take a look:
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/origmarm/RacquetPics

larry10s
07-22-2008, 04:07 AM
i just bought vantage 95 16x19 racquets here are my specs comments to follow Unstrung: Wt&Bal: 330/305 SW: about 300

Strung: Wt&Bal: 346/315 SW: about 325

Strung with Dampener and Overgrip:

Wt&Bal: 353/312 SW: about 326

the specs on the frame are unstrung. the strings add plus/minus 15gm and decrease ( less headlight ) by 2-3 points. the overgrip[ and dampener is another 6-8gms moving the balance 1 point more headlight. overall you end up with a racquet 20 -25 gms heavier and 1-2 points less headlight. my racquet finished is 12.45oz and 10 points hl. sw 326. as you go less headlight in final cofiguration the sw will increase. ultimataly i dont think you will find the racquet(70ra) to be as stiff as the k95. i have bought and used a 70 flex vantage configured similar to above and demoed the k95 but i could not handle the sw of the k95 . toomuch for me. recommend you email sven.goth@vantagetennis.com he is the usa rep and does the final configuring for the racquets in the us. you will need to start with a racquet heavier than 330gm to get to k95 spec

GPB
07-22-2008, 05:03 AM
I was looking for a flexy PSC. Here are my vantage's specs:

size: 95 sq. in.
weight: 339 g
balance: 5pts HL
flex: 61ish
SW: 332ish
pattern: 16x19

It started a little lighter, but I added some lead at 2:30 and 9:30, and a little above the handle to get the specs you see above, and it is SWEET now. The flex took some getting used to, but hitting with this racket feels so *natural* it's hard to go back to the PSC's.

Seacoast Stringer
07-22-2008, 05:50 AM
haha...here we go!

....Im sponsored by vantage and starting to work promoting the producs also....

Nick

Did you forget to change your sig (N-Blades)? Or did you decide to "unsponsor" with Vantage during the past week?

Rory G
07-23-2008, 04:00 AM
haha...here we go!

Hi SFrazeur,

Im sponsored by vantage and starting to work promoting the producs also.

If you are looking for something similar to the KSix-One X the 70RA option fits the bill...it wont feel as stiff as the ksix-one X...the 70RA is unstrung and feels much lower when strung (around 65). The vantages remind me of the 6.1s but with more feel and a lower SW.

I actually have a couple 70RA 95, 12pts HL, 330g, 16x19 frames right now but will be getting 63RA as my main frames. They are the best rackets I have ever used.........Nick

I agree with Nick that a 70 flex, 95" Vantage will hit similarly to the 6.1 (which used to be my main stick). It will feel softer and have better feel....the downside is that it might not have the same "crisp" feel - but that can be aided with a nice string setup. I actually went with a 27.25" length and have really liked that.

The Vantages are the best frames that I have ever hit with and compared to the 6.1 they are more arm friendly as well.

McLovin
07-23-2008, 06:01 AM
I heard a rumor once of a bi-annual sale instead of the annual sale. Any truth to the rumor?

origmarm
07-23-2008, 07:51 AM
I heard a rumor once of a bi-annual sale instead of the annual sale. Any truth to the rumor?

I heard this also but I doubt it. Ask Paul, he is relatively open about these things