PDA

View Full Version : History Of Prince Rackets

no1
06-13-2008, 01:37 AM
Hi. I was wondering if there is some site online that had a history of all the prince rackets that were introduced?

I'm in particular looking for some background or information about the Precision series that was out for a while in the mid-late 90's (they have numbered names - Precision 720, 790, etc).

Thanks. :):):)

classic tennis
06-13-2008, 01:55 AM
Hi. I was wondering if there is some site online that had a history of all the prince rackets that were introduced?

I'm in particular looking for some background or information about the Precision series that was out for a while in the mid-late 90's (they have numbered names - Precision 720, 790, etc).

Thanks. :):):)

It's on the Prince web site.......

Princegod
06-13-2008, 02:07 AM
You can check the archived pages of TW as well:

http://web.archive.org/web/19980115032232/www.tenniswarehouse.com/PPics/PrinceContent.html
http://web.archive.org/web/19990422002429/www.tenniswarehouse.com/PrinceRacquets.html

A few models are missing like the Precision Graphite (purple/green), but most are there. Gives you an idea of specs as well.

no1
06-13-2008, 02:56 PM
Hmm... I think I must be ******** but I can't seem to find the information on the Prince website... do you think you could point out the link?

The archived TW doesn't have all the pictures :(

Jack & Coke
06-13-2008, 05:36 PM
For reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Head

In 1950 Howard Head founded the Head Ski Company. The company was very successful and in a couple of years it was making the majority of skis in the United States.

Later the Head Ski company diversified into tennis and other racquet sports.

They made the Arthur Ash racquet, which was an aluminum honey-comb racquet.

Howard Head later sold the company and retired.

Oversized Racquet

After retiring, Head decided to take lessons in tennis and for this purpose he got himself a tennis ball machine, which was manufactured by Prince Manufacturing Inc.

Although Head was not very good at tennis, he figured out that the equipment for the game needed a lot of improvement.

To begin with he became the majority share-holder and chairman of the board of the Prince Man. Inc. While Head considerably improved the design of the ball machine, he still did not get any better at the game.

He figured it out that it because of the small sweet-spot of the tennis racquet. In order to make the game of tennis easier, Head came up with the design of oversize raquet.

He filed and obtained a patent that covered tennis racquets with size 95-135 square inches. He also pioneered the development of Prince Graphite racquet.

Although Head revolutionized the game of tennis, he himself never got too good at it.

http://www.princetennis.com/tennis/files/aboutusPrinceHistory.aspx

COMPANY HISTORY

From its origin as a manufacturer of tennis ball machines, Prince has proven itself to be an industry leader in the innovation and manufacturing of performance racquet sports products.

Prince has continually revolutionized the game with introductions of racquet technologies such as "Oversize" and "Longbody" and most recently with O3 and Speedport. Prince is committed to continually delivering top-quality tennis products in all categories outfitting players with the very best in footwear, apparel, strings, balls, accessories, and more.

Prince has leveraged its international exposure by sponsoring some of the sport's most elite athletes, including Maria Sharapova, Nikolay Davydenko, Jennifer Capriati, Patrick Rafter, Jimmy Connors and Martina Navratilova.

Their success at the highest level of competition has heightened consumer interest in the brand as well as the sport of tennis overall.[/font]

dylanm_12
06-13-2008, 05:41 PM
Wikipedia Is Evil Dont Trust It

no1
06-13-2008, 06:49 PM
Hmm... I guess my title was a bit unclear. I was more curious not about the company, but the line of tennis rackets taht were released, especially in the mid-late 90's?

Thanks.:)

Ignorant Genius
06-13-2008, 07:11 PM
Hmm... I guess my title was a bit unclear. I was more curious not about the company, but the line of tennis rackets taht were released, especially in the mid-late 90's?

Thanks.:)

You might want to try contacting Prince via their web site. Also, check with a local pro shop and ask them to put you in touch with the local Prince rep. The Prince rep around here does a "Prince Day" at various clinics and tournaments. He sometimes brings along some of the older Prince racquets and puts them on display. He's been with Prince for a long time and can answer virtually any question about any racquet Prince has sold in the last 20 years or so.