PDA

View Full Version : clear coat on a new i.prestige

RRR
06-13-2008, 09:47 AM
I got a hold of a couple of new i.prestige mids. I am wondering if a clear hard coat will prevent the black part of the paint job from chipping / coming off, as i have seen many old i.prestiges. I think this black portion is easily attacked by moisture and sweat. does anybody have experience on this?
Thanks

vsbabolat
06-13-2008, 10:32 AM
It the racquet is early production then black paint is rubber. The black rubber paint just disintegrates from your sweat, from just handling, and just touching the racquet.

If the racquet is later production the black paint is a hard matte black paint you have nothing to worry about.

Which i.Prestige mid do you have?

jjordache
06-13-2008, 12:37 PM
It the racquet is early production then black paint is rubber. The black rubber paint just disintegrates from your sweat, from just handling, and just touching the racquet.

If the racquet is later production the black paint is a hard matte black paint you have nothing to worry about.

Which i.Prestige mid do you have?

vsbab, I have a similar concern as the OP.
I recently purchased a brand new iprestige MP (later production, "made in austria" sticker and serial number starting with 7) and I was baffled by how matte the black paint is.
My other two iprestiges have a very nice, shinny (but not too shinny) black paint on them.

Then I did a search on the racquets forum and came across this very useful thread:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=95462&highlight=iprestige+paint

, where you say something about the matte paint becoming shinny over time and with use !

So my question is, how soon does the matte black paint becomes shinny? Does it magically happen just by using it normally or do I need to "help" it somehow ?
I'm asking because the older sticks' glossy black paint is very consistent across the frame, even on areas where you'd normally not touch it very often (like underneath the throat) !

The difference is quite drastic, I'll post a picture after I get home tonight.

jazar
06-13-2008, 01:06 PM
i've had more than 10 i.prestiges and i've never had any problem with the paint

jjordache
06-13-2008, 02:14 PM
i've had more than 10 i.prestiges and i've never had any problem with the paint

Well, is not actually a problem, it doesn't scratch or anything. My new one just looks a lot more matte than the older two that I have. I'll post pictures later tonight.

hrstrat57
06-13-2008, 06:00 PM
I've got one of each.....the rubbery one is starting to peal as described in this thread.....

No worries....looks bad...plays great.

String em up and have a blast....I wouldn't mess with perfection if I was you....

Fantastic racquets!

jjordache
06-13-2008, 08:54 PM
OK, here's how they look. The new one's on the left.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/6371/img1873tw6.jpg

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1158/img1876dw2.jpg

in the second picture notice how the paint layers are identical at the base of the throat. This I haven't actually noticed until I took the picture because it got enhanced by the flash.
Anyways, the older racquets have a very nice semi-glossy, smooth finish and the new one is hard matte. Doesn't look to be rubbery and it certainly doesn't scratch with the finger.
I was just wondering whether the matte paint will become glossy at one point by itself or if it needs to be helped somehow.

Deuce
06-14-2008, 02:05 AM
No worries....looks bad...plays great.

Yeah...
I've got two. They look like hell - but they play fine.

I buy racquets for the way they play, not the way they look.

That said, the rubbery paint that comes off easily demonstrates Head's lack of respect for the consumer. No-one will ever convince me that this was an unforseeable problem - especially for a company which has been making - and painting - racquets for a long time.