PDA

View Full Version : Babolat Pure Drive + W/O Cortex

CaveMan
06-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Hit with this beauty last night. I've owned it for awhile, but never really played much with it. Last night, I decided to lay down the K95 and try it out. Its got brand new strings on it. Prince Syn. guy with duraflex. Just a cheap string....but, I was very impressed with the racquet. So impressed that i'm using it again tonight.

The serves were very powerful, its strung at 40lbs. Not only where they powerful, they had more movement than i've ever seen with a serve. It was insane how much they'd kick.

Volleying was fun. There were shots that I was able to hit so much top spin on it looked like the ball just did a 90 degree drop. It was amazing to watch it. When I went for just a powershot, i had no problems keeping it 2-3 feet inside the baseline from any angle. Never expected it to be so much fun

Returns were easier than ever, stick the racquet in front of the ball, ball goes over net. Nothing much to it really.

The racquet just feels like its "ready to play." fairly light in the hand in my opinion, and I have 4 2 inch pieces of lead tape UNDER the bumper guard (my stringer actually asked why I wanted it there because nobody puts it there) and I felt that it really helped with the swing.

Needless to say....I love this racquet, so much more that I just purchased two more of the racquets for 80 dollars. Both in mint condition with brand new PHT on them. I get them tomorrow, and i'm excited!

Kirko
06-13-2008, 03:26 PM
I had a similar situation. I was using the KBT and what a spectacular frame it is, but no real "action" on my shots. So I started to use an aero pro control plus I bought because of the price and WOW !! I had the same experience. I am of the firm opinion Babolat makes the most cerebal frames peiod.

filthy_dude
06-13-2008, 10:29 PM
i actually love the PD+ w/o cortex. it's just an awesome racket! i've tried demoing other rackets but in the end, the PD+ was just the best suited for me.

satchman
06-14-2008, 04:09 AM
To be honest, I liked the Aeropro Drive Cortex because it had a solid feel at impact. Unfortunately, the Pure Drive Team doesn't have the same feel as the APDC and feels "hollow" at impact...

Control and power was great but it just feels like a cheap racquet when you hit it with it.

Somehow I think I'm used to the solid feel of Wilson's player racquets (nSix-One 95, KBlade 98) and I can't really go back to Babolat anytime soon...

Ross K
06-14-2008, 05:28 AM
Funny, I've had the same experience as CaveMan recently. Having decided to have a look at some of my older frames with lead put on them (I've never really been into this practice), I was v/impressed with the PD+...
The serves were very powerful, its strung at 40lbs. Not only where they powerful, they had more movement than i've ever seen with a serve. It was insane how much they'd kick. Absolutely!... in fact, I'd say this was the most powerful and dynamic frame I've ever served with. Furthermore, on groundies it felt great - none of this too light or too hollow stuff, and I think the lack of Cortex enhances feel/performance - and played in that fast and hard, penetrating, topspinny manner I remember... there's no doubt the PD+ is awesome off the ground as well as to serve with... but... unfortunately, I hit out quite a lot (more as the game wore on), and I began to also remember that it was the realization of it being ultimately too powerful and poppy (like so many of the Bab line up) that made me originally stop using the frame. As for net stuff, volleys, etc, I didn't do too much of that to form a view really (I only played a set), but, if memory serves me correct, I suspect it's still not exactly fantastically brilliant in these areas.

Anyway, I agree with so much of CaveMan's thoughts and those others above... 1. I'm actually tempted to bring it along for my next sesssion with my coach (that would reveal quite how comfortable I was with it!)... 2. I'm also tempted to go for a full Luxilon s/job to try and tame the power more and bring out a few other qualities if poss (not 100 per cent sure of tension...?)

Anyway, my experience with Babs is they tend to be incredible in one or two departments, and it's this, despite the other failings, that keeps ppl interested... and just to say it again - this frame does some serious, serious **** off the ground and on the serve!!!

To The OP: I'm curious - how does 4x2 inches of lead below the bumper improve swing?

To all: without wanting to go off on horrible thread-napping tangent, can anyone who is very certain please tell me does ARod use the PD+ or the PDR+?

migjam
06-14-2008, 05:56 AM
Yeah, I personally like the PD w/o Cortex over the Cortex version. For me it has better feel.

Ross K
06-14-2008, 08:55 AM
it was the realization of it being ultimately too powerful and poppy (like so many of the Bab line up) that made me originally stop using the frame.

Just watching ARod vs Nadal at the Stella Artois Tournament - I see it's not just us mere plebs who often hit long with the PD+!?... Seriously... ARod really did shoot out loads and loads, and seemed to always want to finish off points early... just an observation.

CaveMan
06-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Funny, I've had the same experience as CaveMan recently. Having decided to have a look at some of my older frames with lead put on them (I've never really been into this practice), I was v/impressed with the PD+...
Absolutely!... in fact, I'd say this was the most powerful and dynamic frame I've ever served with. Furthermore, on groundies it felt great - none of this too light or too hollow stuff, and I think the lack of Cortex enhances feel/performance - and played in that fast and hard, penetrating, topspinny manner I remember... there's no doubt the PD+ is awesome off the ground as well as to serve with... but... unfortunately, I hit out quite a lot (more as the game wore on), and I began to also remember that it was the realization of it being ultimately too powerful and poppy (like so many of the Bab line up) that made me originally stop using the frame. As for net stuff, volleys, etc, I didn't do too much of that to form a view really (I only played a set), but, if memory serves me correct, I suspect it's still not exactly fantastically brilliant in these areas.

Anyway, I agree with so much of CaveMan's thoughts and those others above... 1. I'm actually tempted to bring it along for my next sesssion with my coach (that would reveal quite how comfortable I was with it!)... 2. I'm also tempted to go for a full Luxilon s/job to try and tame the power more and bring out a few other qualities if poss (not 100 per cent sure of tension...?)

Anyway, my experience with Babs is they tend to be incredible in one or two departments, and it's this, despite the other failings, that keeps ppl interested... and just to say it again - this frame does some serious, serious **** off the ground and on the serve!!!

To The OP: I'm curious - how does 4x2 inches of lead below the bumper improve swing?

To all: without wanting to go off on horrible thread-napping tangent, can anyone who is very certain please tell me does ARod use the PD+ or the PDR+?

I went to the store today where it was strung to pick up some more grips and lead tape for the two new PD's I bought today. Anyway, he asked how I liked that lead tape there and I can't lie....I loved it. First time i've really had it under the bumper guard, but it wasn't much, but you could tell that it could generate a lot more potential. It mihgt just be my head, but I really felt as it helped with my top spin. I think it might be the cause of me being able to hit so many balls in. I also added two strips at 3/9, but those are customary for all my racquets.

Needless to say, the two additional racquets are great, strung with some hybrid thing that i havent examined yet. Excited to play with them, and will paly with them tonight!!!:)