PDA

View Full Version : Head Aggasi 107 OS Le Is it to big?

levy1
06-13-2008, 02:52 PM
I have been using Head racquets all my life. I usually am hitting with a radical mid plus at 2-3 lbs over the middle for control. Being 60, 3.5 USTA I was looking for a little more control and pop. I found my dream racquet the Wilson 6.1 . Only problem is I developed a very serious case of tennis elbow and had to quit using it after about 30 days. It is strung with gut and tension in the middle. I was lucky after only 2 months of not playing my elbow healed because it hurt bad. I like a heavy racquet, use lead tape, and after figuring out the tension string with gut. I am not up on any of the new strings or patterns. I have decided to try the Aggasi OS 107 LE. Read some great reviews on it but I have never used a 107 before. Can anyone give me advise on playing and stringing this raquet?

meowmix
06-13-2008, 04:00 PM
107 is not that big. Coming from the rackets you're using, it's going to be a lot larger. The 6.1 line (especially the k6-1) isn't the most arm friendly racket. The Agassi LE is a very nice racket, and so far I haven't heard of anybody getting the elbow from it. Go ahead and try it, but stay away from high tensions and polyester strings (those are the #1 reason for tennis elbow). Since you're obviously used to MP, I'd recommend you try the Prokennex Redondo MP. It's one of the most arm friendly rackets on the market, and it's very very comfortable. For that matter, most rackets made by Prokennex are extremely arm friendly.

Shaolin_sword36
06-13-2008, 04:11 PM
The MG Radical Team is 102 headsize which is in between...but at $100 the Agassi model seems like a good deal.

ojingoh
06-13-2008, 11:07 PM
I really like the Agassi LE. It's a killer groundstroke-keep-it-in-play kind of frame.

Touch is good. I love the feel of the racquet. Not over dampened, not hollow. Very solid feeling, but not porky or floppy. I connected immediately with it. It's pretty headlight, so you can volley well enough, I never feel lost when I chip and charge. Lateral movement even with tape is pretty good.

Serve is good, not great. Not a midplus or mid. I would say that service is this stick's weakest point, but it's not awful. My midsize frame is significantly better at serves.

The weight on the TW website is wrong, it's 11.3 ounces. I added 8 grams lead at 3 and 9 though, solved much of my only complaint of the extra width -- off center spinning hits.

The stiffness is good, not stressful at all on the shoulder or wrist. I have 2 of them, #1 has Big Banger Alu Power @ 60#, it's seriously hot off groundstrokes, very deep and spinning ball. Good plowthrough.

#2 is seldom used, it's got prince syngut at 65# on it. Prince synthetic is a nice product, but Luxilon makes that frame just sing.

Bottom line is that I own 2 of them. I liked it so much I bought it twice :)

levy1
06-14-2008, 02:35 AM
I really like the Agassi LE. It's a killer groundstroke-keep-it-in-play kind of frame.

Touch is good. I love the feel of the racquet. Not over dampened, not hollow. Very solid feeling, but not porky or floppy. I connected immediately with it. It's pretty headlight, so you can volley well enough, I never feel lost when I chip and charge. Lateral movement even with tape is pretty good.

Serve is good, not great. Not a midplus or mid. I would say that service is this stick's weakest point, but it's not awful. My midsize frame is significantly better at serves.

The weight on the TW website is wrong, it's 11.3 ounces. I added 8 grams lead at 3 and 9 though, solved much of my only complaint of the extra width -- off center spinning hits.

The stiffness is good, not stressful at all on the shoulder or wrist. I have 2 of them, #1 has Big Banger Alu Power @ 60#, it's seriously hot off groundstrokes, very deep and spinning ball. Good plowthrough.

#2 is seldom used, it's got prince syngut at 65# on it. Prince synthetic is a nice product, but Luxilon makes that frame just sing.

Bottom line is that I own 2 of them. I liked it so much I bought it twice :)
Thanks for the tip I will be adding the weight. In no way am I looking for a arm friendly raquet as I have never had a problem before using the Wilson 6.1 I am trying to match the control of the 6.1. So far everything I have demoed from Prince, wilson and bablot were a step down from the feel and control of the Head raquets. I was going to string the 107 it at 62 thinking I would need to control the head of a 107 better. BTW I tried posting on the string forum but only 1 reply.

ojingoh
06-14-2008, 01:46 PM
Give poly a shot in it -- try the string it comes with for sure. The equipped strings are Head Ultra Tour 16L, probably at 55# tension. Softer poly. If you like poly these won't disappoint. The Alu Power has more spin and better control but is about as energetic.The Luxilon though is just perfect in that racquet. I can't imagine not using that string in the frame, the control is very good. My midsize racquet is better (Prostaff) but it has nowhere near the pop as the LE.

The Prince is a little poingy-er technically speaking :) Even at 65# it doesn't have the control the Luxilon has. It's fine string, and very punchy, but not as fun to rip. I bring it along in the bag when I'm feeling a change, or when #1 is getting restrung.

I would consider a hybrid. The frame's string pattern (18x19) is between dense and open. I wouldn't use gut in the mains though, but that's because I'm so happy with Luxilon in the frame.

matchmaker
06-14-2008, 04:04 PM
107 is not that big. Coming from the rackets you're using, it's going to be a lot larger. The 6.1 line (especially the k6-1) isn't the most arm friendly racket. The Agassi LE is a very nice racket, and so far I haven't heard of anybody getting the elbow from it. Go ahead and try it, but stay away from high tensions and polyester strings (those are the #1 reason for tennis elbow). Since you're obviously used to MP, I'd recommend you try the Prokennex Redondo MP. It's one of the most arm friendly rackets on the market, and it's very very comfortable. For that matter, most rackets made by Prokennex are extremely arm friendly.

I agree. The Prokennex Redondo MP is very armfriendly, it is statically somewhat hefty but has a low swingweight so in play you really don't feel any problem. It has a big sweetspot too.

chess9
06-14-2008, 04:41 PM
I recommended this racquet to three of my students. All three bought them and love them. One student is a 3.5, one a 3.0, and one a 2.5.

I also hit a bit with the racquet and was very surprised at the feel, large sweet spot, and half decent serve speed. Two of those guys have had elbow problems, btw, and they both put NXT Tour in their racquets and are not having any more elbow problems. The downside to the racquet is it's heft for some of the lower ranked players.

TW has these on sale, and I'd say they may be the best value in tennis right now. I'd buy one, but for the Head grip shape, which I absolutely detest.

-Robert

levy1
06-15-2008, 05:14 PM
Give poly a shot in it -- try the string it comes with for sure. The equipped strings are Head Ultra Tour 16L, probably at 55# tension. Softer poly. If you like poly these won't disappoint. The Alu Power has more spin and better control but is about as energetic.The Luxilon though is just perfect in that racquet. I can't imagine not using that string in the frame, the control is very good. My midsize racquet is better (Prostaff) but it has nowhere near the pop as the LE.

The Prince is a little poingy-er technically speaking :) Even at 65# it doesn't have the control the Luxilon has. It's fine string, and very punchy, but not as fun to rip. I bring it along in the bag when I'm feeling a change, or when #1 is getting restrung.

I would consider a hybrid. The frame's string pattern (18x19) is between dense and open. I wouldn't use gut in the mains though, but that's because I'm so happy with Luxilon in the frame.

Luxilon, which one?

ojingoh
06-15-2008, 07:29 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACFORTEN-ALUSTR.html