PDA

View Full Version : Self Rated Players - History Disclosure

SunDog
01-19-2005, 11:46 AM
At our local captain's meeting last night, the league coordinator stated that self rated players with any kind of significant tennis history (college, junior ranking, instruction, etc.) are going to be required to disclose that information to the Southern Section this year. The self rated level may not be granted if there is a historical reason to think that the player may be sandbagging.

If a player with a history does not disclose - and is found out - there will be sanctions against both the player and the captain. Very interesting.

andfor
01-19-2005, 01:30 PM
SDOG, Remeber we talked about this a little while back? After looking more closley at the USTA's League Website it appears the disclosure form you mention is a national practice for all new players. Links to the form itself and the USTA are within the link below.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=37688&highlight=ntrp

SunDog
01-19-2005, 02:26 PM
Ohhhhhhhhh Yeahhhhhhhh - I remember. Actually for some reason - I didnt look at that link at the time. Thanks for the info.

tennis-n-sc
01-20-2005, 09:10 AM
Got the same info at my captain's meeting. As it was explained to us, the form is only used by self rating players that fall into certain categories, i.e., former college players, former junior players that had rankings, former professional players that had world rankings above 400 and below 400 and teaching pros. Every catagorey is cross checked by the age of the player and a rating is determined. They prepared a nice color coded chart to determine the rating. The form does not apply to the average player that does not fit into the above mentioned catagories. They will self rate as usual. As I understand it, there were several former Div I players that self rated as 3.0. Shame on them. The penalty for failing to disclose information can be pretty severe, but short of prison time.

andfor
01-20-2005, 09:18 AM
Former D-1 players hidding out at the 3.0 level? Shameful. If a former D-1 player and a bad one at that played with his non-dominante hand I would find it hard for him to still not win all his matches at 3.0

SunDog
01-21-2005, 05:32 AM
We had a D-IA player breeze through the local 4.0 div here last year - totally unscathed. Got bumped to 4.5 at the year end, though. When they announced the history form deal at the meeting, all eyes in the room shot toward that guy's 4.0 captain.

tennis-n-sc
01-21-2005, 07:14 AM
Captains need to be held more accountable for this crap and the disclosure form and policy does just that. Hope it works.

andfor
01-21-2005, 11:35 AM
We had a D-IA player breeze through the local 4.0 div here last year - totally unscathed. Got bumped to 4.5 at the year end, though. When they announced the history form deal at the meeting, all eyes in the room shot toward that guy's 4.0 captain.

Great, I guess that means if our 4.5 team advances to the TN state we'll get a look at this guy. If you care to e-mail his name so we can know, andfor1@yahoo.com. Not that we would or could do anything about it's just good to know who the ringers are.

Sundog do you have any plans to come to Memphis next month with the ATP/WTA stop is here in town?

SunDog
01-21-2005, 03:20 PM
Andy - check your email. Also - I meant to type I-AA above.

Sorry I wont be in Memphis for the tourney - February is my busy work travel season. I always think about going to Cinci for the masters event - but neve seem to make it. UT used to have a great challenger event - but that seems to have gone away.