PDA

View Full Version : Can people please recommend a replacement for the POG OS.

carolyn73
06-14-2008, 03:49 AM
I'm looking to replace my old Prince Graphite Oversize racquets but have found the ones currently being sold aren't head light enough and the swingweight is too high. While I can handle a 330s swingweight and a less head light balance I can't do that if the overall weight is also over 12 ounces as it just throws my timing off too much and tires me too quickly. I like a racquet with some heft to it which rules out the 03 models. They just dont have enough substance to them and have too much power for my needs.

So far I have tried the Donnay Pro One but didn't like it very much at all. There was a lot of spin and it was easy to swing but it lacked power and had an oddly vague feel on volleys. I also tried the 03 Blue and Red but as I said they have more power and less control than I need. Ive only been able to try the lighter version of the Fischer 105sq. It was too light and didn't perform well when I added lead tape. The Microgel Radical OS was disappointing as it was too light and I didnt feel inclined to try it with lead added. I also wasn't impressed with the feel of the Liquidmetal Radical OS.

What other suggestions do people have for a replacement to my old Prince Graphites? Any ideas if the Flexpoint Radical OS is a good racquet to use?

I'm in my late 30's, played college tennis during my (much) younger days and currently have a 5.0 rating, although after having my first child am not quite playing up to that standard. Most of my tennis is doubles but I still like to play a few singles events and will probably add a few tournaments to get myself back into shape and my game up to par.

iplaybetter
06-14-2008, 04:25 AM
have you tried adding lead to a lighter prince, i just switched to prince and am very impressed, and many of their lighter frames offer a great base to work off of for the player looking for that 105ish head

roger is the king
06-14-2008, 04:32 AM
have you tried adding lead to a lighter prince, i just switched to prince and am very impressed, and many of their lighter frames offer a great base to work off of for the player looking for that 105ish head

ahhhhhhhh wats up iplay u switched to prince???

iplaybetter
06-14-2008, 05:10 AM
ahhhhhhhh wats up iplay u switched to prince???

yep, ozone tour

carolyn73
06-14-2008, 06:25 AM
have you tried adding lead to a lighter prince,

I have tried it but I really don't find it particularly useful. A little bit of weight is okay but if you have to add anything much all you end up with is a heavy racquet that has a light-weight feel to it.

guitarplayer
06-14-2008, 07:55 AM
Check out one of the Vantage or Avery frames.

Matty G
06-14-2008, 08:01 AM
I think that a head microgel extreme or extreme pro maby also give the dunlop 300 and 500 tour a look..

RedWeb
06-14-2008, 08:11 AM
Although you did not like it I just switched from POG OS to Head MicroGel Radical OS. The POG eventually just ended up being to heavy for my OHBH toward the end of long matches. The MG Rad is more comfortable on my elbow and just as stable. The one draw back is that I've lost the flat hard serves that I had developed with the POG. However I hope to improve my serve as I've only had the MG Rad for 2 weeks.

Other alternative which I also liked was the Dunlop Aerogel 300.

Princegod
06-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Unfortunately there is not much to choose from in the oversize racket category like there was 10 or 15 years ago, but based on your criteria I came up with these two rackets. The Prince is discontinued, and you can pick up the Ipex dirt cheap at ATS Sports.

If your interested in the Prince you can probably find someone willing to sell in the classified section.

Prince Precision Response 710

Head size: 107 sq. in. / 690 sq. cm.
Balance: 4pts Head Light
Length: 27 inches / 69 cm
Swingweight: 324
Weight: 11.6oz / 329g
Stiffness: 64 (0-100)
Power Level: Low-Medium
Construction: 23mm Straight Beam
Swing Speed: Medium-Fast
String Pattern: 18 Mains / 20 Crosses
Composition: 100% Graphite

Gamma Ipex 7.0 Oversize

Head size: 107 sq. in. / 690 sq. cm.
Balance: 6pts Head Light
Swingweight: 322
Weight: 11.5oz / 326g
Stiffness: 60 (0-100)
Power Level: Low
Construction: 20 mm Straight Beam
Swing Speed: Fast
String Pattern: 16 Mains / 19 Crosses
Composition: Graphite Glass / Air Carbon with Ipex Nanotechnology

rockbox
06-14-2008, 02:50 PM
I would find a used 4 stripe POG somewhere until the new graphite speedport comes out or try out a mid plus frame..

The only other options for an oversized "players" racquet is a leaded up Radical or an Agassi LE.

haerdalis
06-14-2008, 02:53 PM
Avery M5 is more HL than the current POG OS. It is quite heavy though.
Kneissl Black Star is nice, worth a demo atleast.

carolyn73
06-14-2008, 03:11 PM
I appreciate the suggestions but the Dunlop 300 - any of them- is a 98sq racquet. That just isnt close to the POG OS and its 107sq head size. Also, and far more importantly, the Dunlop is hideously light weight. As I stated in my first post, I like a racquet with some heft - the Dunlop has none.

I did look at the Avery but thought that, based on its specifications, it was too close to the POG OS to worry about.

Has anyone tried the Head Flexpoint Radical OS ? It at least looks to have some heft to it, even though it isn't an overly heavy racquet.

rockbox
06-14-2008, 03:25 PM
Have you tried the Agassi LE yet? It is the same weight as the POG and slightly more head light at 6pts.

Princegod
06-14-2008, 04:05 PM
I'm not sure the Flexpoint series got much love here on TW boards, but maybe someone will chime in who has used it.

I believe Head Liquidmetal Radical OS (Austria/Czech model) was a fairly good racket. They later changed to China manufacture. TW still sells the Liquidmetal OS but they are going to be China for sure.

superstition
06-14-2008, 11:24 PM
Tailweighting and thin string.

dreydey
06-15-2008, 12:31 AM
did you try the donnay pro one OS leaded up at 3 and 9 thats perfect.....i recently bought 5 pro one OS its a great racquet

carolyn73
06-15-2008, 03:41 AM
Have you tried the Agassi LE yet? It is the same weight as the POG and slightly more head light at 6pts.

Yes, I tried the Agassi LE just after it came out. A very powerful racquet but far, far too much swingweight in combination with a high pickup weight. At the baseline it was okay but at the net it was too slow. That doesn't fit the criteria I mentioned in my first post.

Princegod,

Thanks for your ideas. I found the Ipex to be too light weight. Easy to swing but hit a nothing kind of ball (no penetration through the court, balls sit up and don't hurt your opponent). Will leave the second-hand stuff as it becomes too hard finding matching sets.

daveyboy
06-15-2008, 04:37 AM
So far I have tried the Donnay Pro One but didn't like it very much at all. There was a lot of spin and it was easy to swing but it lacked power and had an oddly vague feel on volleys. I also tried the 03 Blue and Red but as I said they have more power and less control than I need. Ive only been able to try the lighter version of the Fischer 105sq. It was too light and didn't perform well when I added lead tape. The Microgel Radical OS was disappointing as it was too light and I didnt feel inclined to try it with lead added. I also wasn't impressed with the feel of the Liquidmetal Radical OS.

Try the Magnetic tour instead, the SL version. I find it plays like many of the older Prince frames in terms of balance and feel. Solid racket.

larry10s
06-15-2008, 04:50 AM
would second the suggestion to try VANTAGE. vantagetennis.com you can make the racquet to your choosing or get a premade one that is close to the specs you seek. very well made great feel . i just bought 4. sven goth is the U.S.A. rep in boca raton fl.

Princegod
06-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Vantage isn't going to work either. I entered some specs and the least stiff RA value was 70(!), and heaviest frame in 105 sq.in. is only 10.6 oz.. Looks like a good frame for tennis elbow. :D

Princegod
06-15-2008, 02:25 PM
Only other racket I came up with is the Fischer, which is technically a supermid not oversize.

Fischer M Speed Pro Number One 105

Head size: 105 sq. in. / 677 sq. cm.
Balance: 7pts Head Light
Swingweight: 321
Weight: 11.8oz / 335g
Stiffness: 56 (0-100)
Power Level: Low
Construction: 20-25mm
Swing Speed: Fast
String Pattern: 16 Mains / 19 Crosses
Composition: Graphite / Fiberglass / Piezotec Fibres

There is also a good review here:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/FMSR/FMSRReview.html

skraggle
07-05-2008, 10:37 AM
How abut the nBlade OS? Flexy, low-powered but easy to swing fast.

tennisinoc
07-05-2008, 10:55 AM
I came from the POG OS as well and was having the same issue of tiring too quickly using of it because I can no longer endure the weight for many sets. (13 oz w/overgrip & 5/8 grip)

So after demoing many current frames (post year 2000), I switched to the ProKennex Ki5. I added a leather grip to bring it to 12.2 oz strung with an overgrip. It has a lower swingweight and but still has good stability and plow thru. I can still hit a heavy ball unlike with the current 03 frames. Also, the Kinetic System does work. Very comfortable frame with a lot of punch like the POG OS. You also won't notice the difference of the smaller headsize. Maybe because the Ki5 has just as large as a sweetspot.

OJ ROD
08-10-2008, 09:00 AM
I had the Flexpoint Radical and I tell you it's very differnent (In my opinion) to the POG. The FR has a much livelier stringbed and doesn't have the feel of a hefty racket at all for me. Although I never did put lead on it so you still might want to try that a might be hefty enough if you do that. What I praise the most about the FR is the amout of feel I got from that racket. I was almost too good for me. All in all it was a great racket that gives plenty of power without sacrificing control (and definitely not feel) and stands up to taking and dishing out heavy hitting and is pretty solid on volleys.
When you try it out take in consideration that the head and prince rackets have completely different grip shapes. If you do like the racket, I suggest taking ti to a pro shop and having it refitted with a prince handle. I
I started playing with the FR and notice that I lost a lot of the variety of shots that I got from the Wilson and Prince that I used before it. The handle kinda forces you to play with a eastern grip or extreme semi-western (basically a full western)

Have you tried out the Prince NXG. I found it was a great racket and has a very solid feel to it, similar to the POG.

Good luck, hope this helps.
Feel free to ask any specific questions.