PDA

View Full Version : An outing with the KBlade Tour...

Gellin
06-14-2008, 06:25 PM
Well I stopped by my local tennis shop today since I was in the neighborhood and decided to take the KBlade Tour out for a demo.

I've read and heard great things about this racquet but would it actually live up to all the hype? Simply put, YES IT DOES!

1- Groundstrokes - AMAZING! The racquet head speed that I was generating was off the charts. Off of both wings the ball was getting clobbered and control was pinpoint. Every time I hit the ball there was this very satisfying (Solid) feeling that I have not felt in previous racquets. One minor issue was in the spin department, I was expecting a bit more spin from what all the other reviews stated. Although, it could have been caused by the Gamma Asterisk string that the demo was strung with...

2 - Volleys - Volleys were solid all the way around, the headlight balance really makes this a great volleying stick.

3 - Serves/Overheads - Another area in which everything just felt SOLID. The spin generation was lacking but like I said it could be due to the strings.

4 - Return of Serve - Similar to the groundstrokes, the racquet excelled in both wings allowing me to swing with confidence knowing that the return would stay in. When hit in the sweet spot, the "thwack" sound of the ball compressing onto the string bed was quite an amazing sound.

5 - Slice I actually ran into a problem with my slice backhand using this racquet. Due to the lack of heft in the hoop it did not feel as stable as I would have hoped. However, as time went on, I did adjust my stroke a bit and it did help.

---

Now I have a few questions for those who have played with the KBlade Tour.

1) What string setup on the KBlade Tour has given you the most spin?

2) Regarding the lack of heft in the hoop, what lead tape configurations have worked for you? Did it change the playing characteristics of the racquet completely? Was the racquet head speed still there?

3) Is there any other racquet out right now that plays similar to the KBT? Maybe with a bit more spin potential?

Any other comments that you guys have on making the racquet even better are more than welcome...

Thanks!

topspin2
06-14-2008, 06:55 PM
actually just this week i demoes the head MG radical. the specs are very similar and i could get a descent amount of spin on most of my shots.

im curious, what grip do you use?

Gellin
06-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Which MG Radical did you demo? The MP/OS/Pro?

I use a Semi-Western Forehand grip if that is what you are asking..

nn
06-14-2008, 07:25 PM
check out Aerogel 100 from Dunlop. It has very similar (SW is little low) but 16x19 will help in that department.

I am avoiding 18x20 dense string pattern because of little or no spin for me on second serve or sometime groundies which you return on run has nothing on it.

Kirko
06-14-2008, 07:26 PM
I added lead at 10 and 2 o'clock making the racket 12.2 oz. the KBT has a very lush sweetspot in its stock format, but I always add lead at 10 and 2 o'clock on my racktes to "fluff up" the sweetspot even more. I had prn.syn.gut 17 ga. in mine and thought the best string to get more spin "on demand" would be a full VS gut job. in 16 ga. @ 58 lbs. the KBT is a very well thought out racket much like the pro staff mid and ultra II were eg. has a nice uniform flex due to the way the racket materials were "mixed" . by the way Gamma Asterisk is pretty por string don't go by that as a determining factor.

Necroblood
06-14-2008, 07:28 PM
Well you should take a look at the "Offical Kblade tour fan club" thread. They have a lot about the tour if you have questions.

I for one love this racquet and hopefully the new shipments from tennis warehouse will come by july 6th so I'll get it then.

Well to answer your first question I demoed a kblade tour from my local proshop and it was strung with a highbrid: Luxilon floro and technifiber biaphaise and this set up felt quite solid though I would have preferred the luxilon floro only because of the spin potential. This racquet's tight string pattern doesn't really give it a lot of spin so I'm going to have to hope that a full poly will give it a little extra zip. If your looking for a racquet that is sort of similar then try the Ksix One tour. That racquet has a lot of spin and is only .7 ounces more than the kblade I think, it's also only 3 inches smaller in head size.

topspin2
06-14-2008, 07:43 PM
Which MG Radical did you demo? The MP/OS/Pro?

I use a Semi-Western Forehand grip if that is what you are asking..

i demoes the mp. i thought it was very good and solid and i could put a fair amount of spin on it even with the dense string pattern (18 x 20).

ps. - i also use an SW forehand grip. this might be a good racquet to try.

Gellin
06-14-2008, 08:13 PM
To increase pop from the racquet would adding lead at 3 & 9 help more or using a higher guage/lower tension ?

My hitting partner told me that the shots with the KBT was pretty low powered even though it appeared like I was hitting the stuffing out of it.

If I can get a bit more pop out of this racquet, I definitely think it can be considered a holy grail :mrgreen:

Kirko
06-14-2008, 08:27 PM
To increase pop from the racquet would adding lead at 3 & 9 help more or using a higher guage/lower tension ?

My hitting partner told me that the shots with the KBT was pretty low powered even though it appeared like I was hitting the stuffing out of it.

If I can get a bit more pop out of this racquet, I definitely think it can be considered a holy grail :mrgreen:

thats whats kinda holding you back. the KBT is a very light player's racket and lead "where you like it will elevate it. I always believe your racket should have at least a little "free power" where you can guide, "slap" or hit a squash type shot and have some oooommph on it.

topspin2
06-15-2008, 06:16 AM
srry about this. i think have made an error because i cant read. i never realized you were talking about the tour, i was just thinking the 98. in that case the tour is 5 in. smaller than the MG radical. another difference is the balance (KBT is more headlight) and the stiffnes (KBT is stiffer). however, with all that being said, i think you should still give the MG radical a shot. and as for giving it more pop, i dont think you will need anymore from the radical. im only 15 and i can get plenty of spin, depth, and pop with this racquet.

DonBot
06-15-2008, 06:49 AM

Post of the century on the kblade tour,
I have noticed that the last three weeks when I have been hitting the ball, I really feel like I am crushing it but I know it does not have the same pace on groundstrokes as when I am hitting the k90. I think serving and volleying are spot on, but I just don't get why the groundstrokes are so low powered. I added lead to 10 and 2 but it is still the same problem, because all it does is slow down my swing speed. But here is the rub for me I am playing with a full bed of PHT, I am thinking about running a 17g multi next time and seeing how that goes. I am thinking xcel premium or technifibre. My only problem is I don't like multi as I need a ton of racquets just to keep up with the string breaking. I hate going to get them restrung at the rate of two a week. I will probably just get a strining machine if I end up going this route. But I am sooo with you on this racquet is insanely sweet if I could work out the whole lack of topspin and power on ground strokes.

Gellin
06-15-2008, 07:02 AM
Post of the century on the kblade tour,
I have noticed that the last three weeks when I have been hitting the ball, I really feel like I am crushing it but I know it does not have the same pace on groundstrokes as when I am hitting the k90. I think serving and volleying are spot on, but I just don't get why the groundstrokes are so low powered. I added lead to 10 and 2 but it is still the same problem, because all it does is slow down my swing speed. But here is the rub for me I am playing with a full bed of PHT, I am thinking about running a 17g multi next time and seeing how that goes. I am thinking xcel premium or technifibre. My only problem is I don't like multi as I need a ton of racquets just to keep up with the string breaking. I hate going to get them restrung at the rate of two a week. I will probably just get a strining machine if I end up going this route. But I am sooo with you on this racquet is insanely sweet if I could work out the whole lack of topspin and power on ground strokes.

DonBot, have you received your Pure Storm LTDs yet? I would like to know how it compares to the KBT. Especially in the spin generation department...:mrgreen:

Also, have you hit with any other racquets that compare to the KBT? Since you and I seem to have the same outlook on the KBT..

DonBot
06-15-2008, 07:25 AM
My pure storm limited is supposed to be here this week. I hit a few serves with it when a buddy had one the other day but the t-storms that have rocked the ******* ran us off the court before I had a chance to put it through its paces. My pure storms will have 17g string in it whereas my kblade tour has 16 pht which I think was a major mistake. So it might be better off the wings due to the string. I think alot of the problems with the kbt could probably be resolved with the string choice, but I have yet to break my pht in it. I am just not wild about going to a 17g multi, I break 16g multi in 3-4 hours in fact I have never had a 17g multi in any racquet. I might do the hybrid thing, but I have never been a big fan of it. I just saw through the multi regardless of whether it is on the crosses or the mains.

The other racquet that I like alot which is somewhat similar to the kblade tour is the n6.1 95. It is godly at the net and serves, but when I am hitting well it has just too much power on the ground strokes. I wish there were a happy medium. I am hoping the limited is that happy medium, but I need a longer hit with it to make that determination. I will let you know when I get mine. I think the k90 is simply outstanding but it takes some getting used to and my one handed back hand is pretty lame with it. I do not hit it regualry because 9 out of 10 balls my opponent hits me goes right to the backhand when I used it. I think the kbt is beastly for a one handed back hand so in that category it really has stepped my game up, but the loss in juice on my forehands has made me a serve and volleyer for the last 3 or 4 months. Not a bad thing, but I like being able to bash from the baseline too.

Gellin
06-15-2008, 08:01 AM
Haha, I actually have a n6.1 95 and I like it a lot, but I completely agree with you in the whole power department...

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Pure Storm LTD.

Keep us updated!

topspin2
06-15-2008, 09:30 AM
if you want another similar (practically the exact same specs as the KBT) then you could definitely try the MG prestige mp. a guy ive been talking to says he likes the pop in it.

topspin2
06-15-2008, 09:32 AM
here it is. its talks about the prestige and it has some advice on the lead tape and where to put it.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=2428668#post2428668

Gee
06-15-2008, 10:30 AM
if you want another similar (practically the exact same specs as the KBT) then you could definitely try the MG prestige mp. a guy ive been talking to says he likes the pop in it.
I would like to see a comparison between those frames. I didn't play with KBT but I guess it has a considerable higher swingweight than the MGMP and the KBT is probably a lot stiffer as well.

bertrevert
06-15-2008, 05:16 PM
I notice using the TW power tool that with the KBT and most other racquets power is usually locateed in the middle or the lower portion of the hoop.

So if you experience lack of heft/power in the KBT hoop then logically you'd want the lead added at 12 to pull the sweetspot higher and give it additional power higher in the stringbed.

I'm shocked to see how similar the power ratings are between my beloved LM Rad MP and the KBT.

(Ergo: gotta get one of these KBTs because it'd be right in my sweetspot if it has the same power as the LM Rad.)

Ever hit with an LM Rad if so can u compare?