PDA

View Full Version : Babolat Grip Sizes

bladepdb
06-14-2008, 05:48 PM
A friend of mine has offered to sell me his APDC that he's only had for a month for a price that's just too good to let go (even though I play with the K6.1 Tour). However, the grip size on it is 4 5/8 and I was wondering how viable it would be to reduce that grip size to 4 3/8.

I've read around and seen tips ranging from using overgrip on the bare handle rather than a standard grip to sanding it down using a block sander and marker to keep track of what's sanded.

I'm not interested in removing the stock grip and using an overgrip unless I have no other way.

Second, I am not going to have the pallet customized by a pro shop...too much money.

Lastly, I have not used a Babolat racquet before, so would it be effective to sand the grip down to 3/8? I am a very patient, careful person who measures twice and cuts once (seriously :D). So I am guessing this is the most economical, but is the Babolat pallet "sandable" as described?

Thanks for the help! I'm not passing up a barely-used APDC for $50 :D

Kirko
06-14-2008, 05:55 PM
don't know about babolat, but a pal of mine uses the prestige mid classic and he got two new ones in 5/8's and had them sanded down at the pro shop we go to 3/8's & had fairways put on. turned out very nice I thought.

bladepdb
06-14-2008, 06:03 PM
I wouldn't sand it down- but thats just me. I've heard of too many people who have screwed it up and also ended up screwing up the balance of their stick. I think if you just played without a the grip (just used overgrip) you might find it ok.

Well as I said I have the patience to keep track of what I trim down and what not, and I know the consequences of sanding and the changes in balance, etc. etc., but I'm wondering more about whether the Bab pallet's material is sandable. I've heard their foam can be hard to sand down but I wanted to confirm this with other people.

bladepdb
06-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Yes, thanks for the stating the obvious.

So, anyone with actual Babolat experience have anything to comment here? I'm sure someone has replaced a Babolat grip and seen the material of the pallet -- is it wooden on the outer portion like most are or is it a foam like I have heard one person claim?

zidane339
06-14-2008, 08:37 PM
Its wooden, confirmed on my APDC.

I would just sell it, then use the profit to buy a new one if you choose

bladepdb
06-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Thanks Zidane. I've seen the racquet, it doesn't even have a scrape on the paint. Just the standard bumper wear-and-tear, and even that isn't noticeable at arm's length. Won't need a new one! I guess he doesn't want to use the bay or any other site, figures the 5/8 is too big to sell easily.