PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get bruised toes?

splink779
01-19-2005, 03:39 PM
I didn't get this last year, but now my second toe (next to the big one) is becoming very bruised under the nail - think dark purple - a few hours after I play. It hurts like hell to touch them and depending on how bad it is it's hard to walk. I was thinking it could be my shoes but I used the same shoes last year and they were fine. If anyone could help me I would really really appreciate it.

Noelle
01-19-2005, 04:18 PM
The dreaded tennis toe!

http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1998/05may/tennis.htm
http://www.tennis.com/fitness/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=50214&itype=1209

splink779
01-19-2005, 04:59 PM
Thanks so much!

matchpoints
01-19-2005, 05:32 PM
U're just a Tennis Machine my friend. Welcome to the club. What helps me is cutting my toe nails as short as i can and flat. Meaning you don't curve them. Am I making sense?

2 pairs of socks also helps. I remember at one point I had a pair of Thorlo's under my cotton pair.

Correct shoe also helps quite a bit. Funny how one site says FINGER WIDTH SPACE while the other says QUARTER INCH.

Of course, the best prevention is to play like a country clubber =->

david aames
01-19-2005, 06:09 PM
Yeah, same problem here. Clipping your nails really short will help. Shoes with a large toe box as well.

It's very common even on the tour. Some players have their toes removed when it's chronic. Brad Gilbert had a line or two about that in his first book...

NoBadMojo
01-19-2005, 06:37 PM
david they dont have their toes amputated..ouch. most people wish to keep all their toes ;O they have the toenail permanently removed..if right handed most usually the right big toe nail. and my take is that too roomy a toe box is not what you need..that could likely be the problem..you get this from stopping quick on court and your toe jams into the toe box of your shoe...a loose toe box seems to make things worse because your toes move more and have a better chance of jamming into the toebox of your shoe. that's my opinion anyway. after a few years you get used to it altho it's really digusting looking and sometimes pretty painful.

splink779
01-19-2005, 06:44 PM
Of course, the best prevention is to play like a country clubber =->

Screw that! :) Thanks for your help everybody. I just cut my nails as short as they go, although its painful cutting nails with swollen purple skin under them. But I have to be ready for tomorrow night and friday morning. Kinda weird how its not a problem on my big toe but on my second toes. And no, my second toes arent longer than my big toes!

david aames
01-19-2005, 07:39 PM
Yeah but it's really what separates the men from the boys, innit ; ) ?

Funny how in the steam room at the gym you can tell who's playing tennis or squash... I wouldn't go as far as saying it's a conversation starter though.

after a few years you get used to it altho it's really digusting looking and sometimes pretty painful.

david aames
01-19-2005, 07:42 PM
Tape your feet and you should be alright.

Screw that! :) Thanks for your help everybody. I just cut my nails as short as they go, although its painful cutting nails with swollen purple skin under them. But I have to be ready for tomorrow night and friday morning. Kinda weird how its not a problem on my big toe but on my second toes. And no, my second toes arent longer than my big toes!

Brettolius
01-20-2005, 06:29 AM
my freaking second toe is getting jacked up. it's a bit longer than my big toe, and the thing keep squashing into the toe box of my shoe to the point where the side of the nail closer to my big toe grows way thicker than the other side. its hard to get the clippers around the damn thing. and its good and bruised all the time too. i got some straight hammer time goin' on down there, and they hurt like a ******* after a long hit. would like a solution, but seems tough when the second toe is longer than the big one. if you've ever seen the skit about the "poop stick", that's how my buddies and i joke about my feet. i bust 'em out and they a move back 'cuz i threaten to "pimp slap" them. at least it's only my feet! obviously i'm the head of the household...

norcal
01-20-2005, 06:35 AM
david they dont have their toes amputated..ouch. most people wish to keep all their toes ;O they have the toenail permanently removed..if right handed most usually the right big toe nail. and my take is that too roomy a toe box is not what you need..that could likely be the problem..you get this from stopping quick on court and your toe jams into the toe box of your shoe...a loose toe box seems to make things worse because your toes move more and have a better chance of jamming into the toebox of your shoe. that's my opinion anyway. after a few years you get used to it altho it's really digusting looking and sometimes pretty painful.
I wish you would have clarified this earlier...I just cut my toes off!

12step
01-20-2005, 08:02 AM
this happens to me too. My second toe is longer than my first toe. and my toes are pretty bruised. the second toe, and the last two. How do i get rid of the purple underneath my toe? it's really sucks to have purple toes.

HELP

NoBadMojo
01-20-2005, 09:41 AM
you can try just ripping the toenail off...after a while it may just come off on its own and you will think somehow a sharp pebble became lodged in your shoes..if it doesnt fall off or you pull it off, your body will start to grow another toenail beneath since it discovers your other one has died, and you could have two really ugly toenails at the same time (one dead and the other the undead zombie toenail).....also when the thing separates, you will trap moissture in there and you will start to grow cooties and assorted other germs...you can go to the foot guy and he will go...'oh man, that's ugly' or you can deal with it..or get that perscription med that makes your toenail fungus go away but some of the side effects includes, thrombosis, cardiac arrest, bladder cancer, and demoitis..as to the poster who cut off his toes because of what he read on the internet, dont feel alone,
signed,
nobadjoninetoes

tcjackson
01-20-2005, 10:56 AM
I wish you would have clarified this earlier...I just cut my toes off!
I almost fell out of my chair laughing.

raftermania
01-20-2005, 11:04 AM
you can try just ripping the toenail off...after a while it may just come off on its own and you will think somehow a sharp pebble became lodged in your shoes..if it doesnt fall off or you pull it off, your body will start to grow another toenail beneath since it discovers your other one has died, and you could have two really ugly toenails at the same time (one dead and the other the undead zombie toenail).....also when the thing separates, you will trap moissture in there and you will start to grow cooties and assorted other germs...you can go to the foot guy and he will go...'oh man, that's ugly' or you can deal with it..or get that perscription med that makes your toenail fungus go away but some of the side effects includes, thrombosis, cardiac arrest, bladder cancer, and demoitis..as to the poster who cut off his toes because of what he read on the internet, dont feel alone,
signed,
nobadjoninetoes

ugh!!! nobad, you need a disclaimer for this post!!! undead zombie toenail??? ahh don't go there girlfriend... nasty imagery!

splink779
01-20-2005, 11:12 AM
Hey you can stab at the bruise from the front of the toe and puss and ooze and blood comes out and gets on your bed and you have to wash the sheets but you cant because you dont have enough time since its 1130 and you have an early class in the morning! Thats what I did!

gmlasam
01-20-2005, 11:37 AM
Hey you can stab at the bruise from the front of the toe and puss and ooze and blood comes out and gets on your bed and you have to wash the sheets but you cant because you dont have enough time since its 1130 and you have an early class in the morning! Thats what I did!
Ewwwww.........I can't imagine what other bodily fluids are on your bed sheets. ;)

Noelle
01-20-2005, 02:29 PM
Wow, this discussion is getting pretty gross...

matchpoints
01-21-2005, 12:49 PM
I wonder if putting a half inch thick strip of dense foam padding in front of the toe nails region would help. any suggestions for material? i'm going to try this out.

Sean Dugan
01-24-2005, 06:34 AM
Presently, I have this condition on my left foot, second toe. I find it comes from wearing shoes that are too small, and jamming my foot into the ground (not recommended). I find that with regard to tennis shoes, I must have a thumb's width between the end of my toes and the end of the shoe, or I end up with the dreaded "tennis toe."

Some individuals, yours truly for one, have a longer second toe than a big toe. (There is a name for this syndrome; it escapes me at the moment). I think when most people try on shoes, they do the finger test relative to the big toe, not the second toe. Also, many people just buy the same size shoe out of habit; sizes run different between brands and models. I usually start off with a 12, and see how that fits. It it is huge (rare), I go down to an 11.5, I usually make out well with 12 EE's. In normal widths, I almost always need a 12 because the 11.5 often seems too narrow. Real tennis shoes with substantial toe guards (caps) are also essential in avoiding this type of injury.

Two pairs of socks work wonders, even three pairs. Lately I've been using a pair of Thorlo anklets between two regular tennis crew socks, and that seems to work great. My feet feel very protected.

Solutions:
1) Complete amputation of the offending foot. (Very effective, but seems a bit severe. Also tends to inhibit movement).
2) Toe amputation. (Also effective, doesn't affect footwork as adversely as option 1, but still a bit extreme.)
3)Toe nail removal. (Not as extreme as amputation, but seems a bit too much as well.)
4) Devising a custom padding system for the affected toe. (Time consuming and indicates you are obsessive. Try Zoloft.)
5) Buying shoes the fit properly (so your toes aren't at the very edge of the shoe; no duh!) and wearing two pairs of tennis socks. (Requires no surgical intervention and seems to work just fine The additional cushioning also seems to help reduce hard court related knee and back problems (at least it does for me.) ) If in doubt about fit, go to the next 1/2 size larger, and wear additional socks.

In the worse case, the bruised nail will fall off completely. Then you become prone to fungal infections of the nail bed which result in an itchy, malformed, "yellowish" colored nail. Fortunately, there are some great prescription oral antifungals that effectively eliminate such infections in matter of weeks. Prior treatment methods were largely ineffective; such as grinding down the nail to the nail bed and applying gentian violet (iodine based antifungal). Prior to that, doctors employed leeches.

Anywho.......that's all I know about this topic (toe-pic?). ;o)

Dedans Penthouse
01-24-2005, 08:12 AM
Duggie-Meister: this calls for "Captain Beefheart" (and his Magic Band) - type therepy:

"Hold my big toe......'till it's time to go!"

Phil
01-24-2005, 07:08 PM
Also, many people just buy the same size shoe out of habit; sizes run different between brands and models. I usually start off with a 12, and see how that fits. It it is huge (rare), I go down to an 11.5, I usually make out well with 12 EE's. In normal widths, I almost always need a 12 because the 11.5 often seems too narrow.

My, but you have large feet, Sean...I'm not gonna let you even get NEAR my girlfriend, you!

Sean Dugan
01-25-2005, 04:36 AM
Phil-Not a Philistine; Yes, the strange thing is I'm actually only 3'7". (And I'm working very hard to get "Large Footed Troll Americans" designated as a minority group worthy of affirmative action benefits.) ;o) Some of my more liberal acquaintances think my relatively large footedness is more than compensated by my small mindedness. ;o) And trust me, your girlfriend is completely safe around me. I have enough trouble trying to understand my present one, and she really isn't all that bad relative to the typical hot chick. Much less whacked than most. ;o)

Speaking of toes.......anyone else notice the strange magnetic attraction toes seem to have for nightstands, doors, corners, etc, particularly when one is stumbling around in the middle of the night? While I have jammed my toe many a time playing tennis with what I can only laughingly refer to as my "footwork", I have never experienced the absolute blinding pain that results from stubbing my toe (usually one of the smaller ones) into an immovable (at least by toes) object. The worst!

I digress....but speaking of chicks and toes....my ex-girlfriend (from Rome, really beautiful, really crazy!) had an acquaintance who was obsessed with the length of her toes. She actually had cosmetic surgery to alter the length of her freakin' toes! The amazing thing to me is that anyone could find a doctor who would perform such completely unnecessary surgery.....but without such devoid of ethics, cater to the whacked, strictly-for-profit docs how else could one explain Michael Jackson's surgical transition from a black man into a white woman?

So, perhaps we toe-jammers should go have our second toe surgically shortened. On second thought, I think I'll just wear the extra pair of socks and big shoes. ;o)

Dedans Penthouse
01-25-2005, 05:28 AM
Love grows with my Rosemary's toes and nobody knows like me.

Ben42
01-25-2005, 01:31 PM
The NewBalance site has some tips on lacing tennis shoes for specific problems. I lace mine like they show for "Toe Problems" and it works well.

http://www.newbalance.com/productbrowser/performance/lacing_for_a_better_fit.html?sport=Tennis&gender=&product_type=&feature=

Phil
01-25-2005, 03:56 PM
Phil-Not a Philistine; Yes, the strange thing is I'm actually only 3'7". (And I'm working very hard to get "Large Footed Troll Americans" designated as a minority group worthy of affirmative action benefits.) ;o) Some of my more liberal acquaintances think my relatively large footedness is more than compensated by my small mindedness. ;o) And trust me, your girlfriend is completely safe around me. I have enough trouble trying to understand my present one, and she really isn't all that bad relative to the typical hot chick. Much less whacked than most. ;o)

Speaking of toes.......anyone else notice the strange magnetic attraction toes seem to have for nightstands, doors, corners, etc, particularly when one is stumbling around in the middle of the night? While I have jammed my toe many a time playing tennis with what I can only laughingly refer to as my "footwork", I have never experienced the absolute blinding pain that results from stubbing my toe (usually one of the smaller ones) into an immovable (at least by toes) object. The worst!

I digress....but speaking of chicks and toes....my ex-girlfriend (from Rome, really beautiful, really crazy!) had an acquaintance who was obsessed with the length of her toes. She actually had cosmetic surgery to alter the length of her freakin' toes! The amazing thing to me is that anyone could find a doctor who would perform such completely unnecessary surgery.....but without such devoid of ethics, cater to the whacked, strictly-for-profit docs how else could one explain Michael Jackson's surgical transition from a black man into a white woman?

So, perhaps we toe-jammers should go have our second toe surgically shortened. On second thought, I think I'll just wear the extra pair of socks and big shoes. ;o)

Sean - At that height you must not do much serve and volleying. Pure baseliner, I'd guess.

I know that blinding stubbed toe pain quite well. Only felt it on the tennis court once, when chasing after a lob, I ran out of space (this particular court had a generous 5 feet or so of "space" behind the baseline) and smashed my foot into the back wall. It felt like my big toe was on fire-I think I said fu*k around 150 times before continuing play. I thought it was broken, but no, instead, the toenail had been jammed down into the toe/skin. Eventually that baby came off (the nail, not the toe). If you're playing doubles in one of those miniature, troll-sized indoor courts and someone lobs you, do yourself a favor and let your partner go after it. "Yours!" If it's singles, just wave at the ball.

An Italian girlfriend who is beautiful AND crazy...some guys have all the luck! The toe surgery thing is kinda freaky, though.

tricky nicky
01-25-2005, 04:14 PM
man my toe nails are so hard and yellow they could never bruise

backcourt
01-26-2005, 07:22 AM
I also developed this purple toenail problem, which I used to get from downhill skiing, on my big right toe, and it was when I had switched to a new tennis shoe model NB 1000, from the 651's and found the 1000 were a little smaller even though they were the same size 12 2E, not to mention they sucked for toe wear if your a dragger. After a couple of mos. my toenail fell off. I swithced back to 651s and had no further problems. Make sure your sneakers are big enough and keep your toenails short.

Brettolius
01-26-2005, 09:16 AM
hey, thanks alot ben42. gonna try that and hoefully it helps.btw, didn't know that hammer toes was the actual name for a condition, but it mentions it on the site. i thought it was just a joke name for jacked up feet!!

12step
01-26-2005, 10:52 AM
i have bruised purple toes too. 3 out of the 5 are purple. I'm not really sure how to get rid of the purple. It's been over a year. I don't want to yank my toe nail off because it will hurt. I will try lacing my shoe differently.

winks
01-28-2005, 03:00 AM
i have bruised purple toes too. 3 out of the 5 are purple. I'm not really sure how to get rid of the purple. It's been over a year. I don't want to yank my toe nail off because it will hurt. I will try lacing my shoe differently.

I have had the bruised "tennis toe" on my big toe at least twice, the last time just occurred about a month ago. Both times the old toenail (or "zombie undead toenail" as NoBadMojo called it) ended up falling off and a new one grew back, as is happening right now. It really wasn't painful for me, more like just a PITA when the nail was in the process of coming off.

Its the running and stopping that does it. Make sure to decellerate hard after a really good "get". I think it will get bruised bad enough, and eventually come off.

Ronaldo
01-28-2005, 04:42 AM
No one mentioned rubbing the skin off the top of your toes or between your toes. Try a pr of Prince NFS shoes, plenty of toe-room

POGO
06-10-2005, 04:45 PM
Here is an extreme example of brusied toes.
http://tinypic.com/5tz4m9

MegacedU
06-10-2005, 04:57 PM
Mine turn white.

POGO
06-10-2005, 05:04 PM
Mine turn white.
Wow, really? I never knew bruised toes turn white?

MegacedU
06-10-2005, 05:05 PM
Like my toe nails. Instead of black or brown or purple they turn a gross white. But my toes are always bruised because I buy my shoes a size too small.

POGO
06-10-2005, 05:09 PM
Like my toe nails. Instead of black or brown or purple they turn a gross white. But my toes are always bruised because I buy my shoes a size too small.
Women are so lucky. You all can just cover up the bruised toe with nail polish and it will not even be noticable :)

MegacedU
06-10-2005, 05:31 PM
Yeah, I often feel very bad for my pedicurist.

Capt. Willie
06-10-2005, 06:49 PM
But my toes are always bruised because I buy my shoes a size too small. I've gotta ask, why do you buy a size too small? So you can claim to wear a smaller size?

ShooterMcMarco
06-10-2005, 06:53 PM
dang POGO, your feet got owned. :) i used to get bruised toes when i played a lot of basketball. i don't get it much anymore though

Noelle
06-11-2005, 02:48 AM
I buy my shoes in my size, or sometimes a half-size larger if they fit better than my proper size. I don't think my vanity's an excuse to buy ill-fitting shoes. :) But my sister's Nike tennis shoes pinch her toes when she makes sudden stops, despite them being the right size for her. I think I might take her shopping for tennis shoes soon, just so she won't get gross-looking toes like the ones in POGO's pic.