PDA

View Full Version : How do you pick up a ball with the racquet?

David I.
03-26-2004, 11:01 AM
Not using your foot, but by bouncing the ball up using the racquet.

lendl lives
03-26-2004, 01:31 PM
i saw micheal jessup do this recently and when i went to the courts i tried it and felt ********.

jayserinos99
03-26-2004, 01:44 PM
there was an article in tennis magazine a few years ago that detailed this. but what you do is tap the ball up to get it in the air and then get your racquet back quick enough to tap it at the apex of the bounce so you get more of a bounce the next time the ball comes up; then you repeat the process until you get the ball in the air.

my personal preference is still picking it up with my feet because i can get lazy like that.

lenosucks
03-26-2004, 04:47 PM
Wow, surprised more people don't know how to do this, seems pretty easy to me. Just hit the ball once pretty hard to get it up, taking the racket back quick so you don't get in the way. Then it's just hitting it higher and higher.

Grimjack
03-26-2004, 05:03 PM
I honestly didn't know there was a trick to this. Tried it years ago, did it on the first try, and never gave it any thought after that.

Huh.

I guess the only possible sticking point could be if you don't pull the racquet away fast enough on the first bound or two. Then the ball would bounce up into the string bed, and its bounce would be snuffed. Failing that, though, I can't imagine why it wouldn't hop right up for you.

polakosaur
03-26-2004, 07:09 PM
i do a soccer rainbow kick, took a while to learn but its great

TexasTennisPro
03-26-2004, 07:39 PM
ya, i am also surprise more ppl don't know this, i have done it all ways though, by foot, hitting it hard and dribbling it till its high enough, and my favorite, flicking your racquet next to it to get it to pop up and away from you then putting a downward slice and sidespin on it so that it moves back in front of you and the perfect height to grab. (looks real impressive during a match) if you want to look real good, bounce the ball on the side of your racquet 2 or 3 times before you catch it! its fun to see ppls reaction when you do stuff like that, and saves you alot of bending over for balls

Bungalo Bill
03-27-2004, 12:26 AM
The key is don't smother the ball, allow your racquet to rebound after you hit the ball and then quickly hit it again to let it come up higher. Do this over and over real quick and you will have the ball in your hand in no time.

SB
03-27-2004, 10:03 PM
I always thought it was helpful to hit the ball near the top of the frame when doing this.

Bertchel Banks
03-28-2004, 09:03 AM
I can't seem to get the racket out of the way fast enough without looking robotic so I just pick it up with your feet.

dozu
03-28-2004, 05:37 PM
the trick is when u first hit on the ball, use a loose wrist, that way the racket will bounce back naturally, there is no need to "pull" it back!

Once the ball is in the air, the rest is easy.

David I.
03-28-2004, 10:03 PM
It seems like the only way I can do it is to bend over to get the strings more parallel with the ground which defeats the purpose by causing more effort. I've seen Sampras use an effortless double bounce back and forth motion.

Bungalo Bill
03-29-2004, 12:29 AM
A lot of the effort comes from the wrist not the elbow. Move your wrist fast and let it rebound, the ball should pop up, as it is in the air, hit it again with your effort coming from the wrist.

Bungalo Bill
03-29-2004, 12:30 AM
It seems like the only way I can do it is to bend over to get the strings more parallel with the ground which defeats the purpose by causing more effort. I've seen Sampras use an effortless double bounce back and forth motion.

A lot of the effort comes from the wrist not the elbow. Move your wrist fast and let it rebound, the ball should pop up, as it is in the air, hit it again with your effort coming from the wrist.

jmckinney
03-29-2004, 10:38 AM
Very Carefully!

david aames
03-29-2004, 01:02 PM
Also, trickier on slower surfaces... Esp. carpet and clay

lendl lives
03-29-2004, 01:53 PM
maybe it was an illusion but it didn't look like micheal (like i know him or something) hit the ball to bounce it up, rather he scooped it up. he must have hit it. no wonder i couldn't do it.

@wright
03-29-2004, 02:09 PM
Next should we ponder the mechanics of the handshake?

eggnog
03-29-2004, 09:37 PM
don't forget one thing if you are having trouble doing it ... choke up on the racquet, holding it near the top of the grip, don't use a continental, use something like a SW or W grip to tap the ball. And "SB" has got it right, tap the ball with the upper part of the face, just below the top part of the frame.

lenosucks
03-30-2004, 05:18 PM
My personal technique is once the ball is about waist-height I give it one really hard bounce to send it about three or four feet above my head, then quickly take my hat off and catch the ball in my hat. Catching the ball in the hat, whether it's from an errant ball during warm-ups, or when an oppenent hits a ball so you can serve is always good fun, ala andy roddick

irishbanger
04-01-2004, 08:02 AM
I can pick the ball up like my racket is a spoon. I just put the edge of the racket where the ball touches the surface and flick my wrist and it scoops it up.
I can also turn my eyelids inside out.

joe sch
04-02-2004, 06:32 PM
Use a loose wrist and choking up the grip will also make it easier, infact try doing this with a 65si woodie and you will really have to perfect these mechanics. A more inpressive way is to use the side of your racket hoop beam to bouch it up. I dont recommend this as you may damage a few rackets in the process but if you really want to do this, first practice bounching the ball at arms length using your side beam. This takes great touch and hand/eye coordination.
Good luck, Joe

equinox
07-17-2009, 10:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns_Ac-wtTic

user92626
07-17-2009, 10:17 AM
I can also turn my eyelids inside out.

Using your hand or no?

My cousin could make milkshake come out of his nose.

charliefedererer
07-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Every time you bend over to pick the ball up is a chance to get a little more exercise and stay loose on the tennis court.

Bungalo Bill
07-17-2009, 10:35 AM
Every time you bend over to pick the ball up is a chance to get a little more exercise and stay loose on the tennis court.

It is also a chance ot hurt your back. ;)

LuckyR
07-17-2009, 11:50 AM
When near the back fence I like to scoop the ball against the fence and get it off of the rebound (like we do on squash walls).

StringingIrvine
07-17-2009, 12:05 PM
This is my favorite thing to do, most of the time if i'm playing a game i'll hit the ball with the racquet and have the ball bounce over me then start walking back to the base line and the ball will bounce right in front of me =p. Makes me think i'm cool...

mike53
07-17-2009, 12:06 PM
It is also a chance ot hurt your back. ;)

Only if you lift without bending your knees

CHOcobo
07-17-2009, 12:07 PM
use the racket to roll the ball and do a scoop using your racket. just like i do in badminton except i don't have to roll the birdie.

Gemini
07-17-2009, 12:13 PM
The key is don't smother the ball, allow your racquet to rebound after you hit the ball and then quickly hit it again to let it come up higher. Do this over and over real quick and you will have the ball in your hand in no time.

Essentially, what BB said. I tap the ball (with decent force) to get it to bounce upward slightly on the first strike and then proceed to "dribble" the ball like a basketball with short quick motions after that initial bounce.

conditionZero
07-17-2009, 12:39 PM
Just make sure you get it down pat before you start doing it during a match. You look pretty stupid trying it and then having to chase the ball across the court! (Not that I've done that. :oops: )

...if you want to look real good, bounce the ball on the side of your racquet 2 or 3 times before you catch it! its fun to see ppls reaction when you do stuff like that, and saves you alot of bending over for balls

I've actually been practicing bouncing the ball on the side of my racquet for a while now. I figure that if I could do that for about five minutes straight while my opponent is getting ready to play I will have won the match before it even began. I know, I could just practice more tennis, but you can't do that while drinking beer and watching a ball game on T.V.

rk_sports
07-17-2009, 03:08 PM
Wow, surprised more people don't know how to do this, seems pretty easy to me. Just hit the ball once pretty hard to get it up, taking the racket back quick so you don't get in the way. Then it's just hitting it higher and higher.

Me too thought the same :)

But I understand few beginners could be curious .. think of basketball dribble ..except with a racquet ;)

I personally pick it by wedging with the outer part of the shoe .. no need to bend all the way down :)

cesarmo03
07-17-2009, 11:25 PM
when u master that trick try this too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dHoKU2Yjt8&NR=1

or this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mKthsMsAuM&feature=related

even better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiMfUQArwfg&feature=related

Jay_The_Nomad
07-18-2009, 08:57 AM
Only if you lift without bending your knees

No need to bend knees... just kick up the free leg the way 50 y.o golfers do.

oh and use your racquet as a support.

luthertn
07-18-2009, 09:15 AM
the trick is when u first hit on the ball, use a loose wrist, that way the racket will bounce back naturally, there is no need to "pull" it back!

Once the ball is in the air, the rest is easy.

Dont really have to do all of that just put ur racket at an angle dont put it flat and jsut it the ball on the very top of the raquet