PDA

View Full Version : What do you wear in the winter?

Spartan
06-24-2008, 02:06 PM
I haven't played indoors during the winter in decades. I was wondering if you guys/gals play in sweats until you "warmup" and then take off the layers so you're in shorts, or do you generally stay with a sweatsuit?

I know some places must take a while to warmup, especially in the winter mornings, but the thought of playing with sweats does not appeal to me.

I guess if you live n warm weather climate year round you have no worries but how about us northerners?

Thanks

IceNineTX
06-24-2008, 04:30 PM
I haven't played indoors during the winter in decades. I was wondering if you guys/gals play in sweats until you "warmup" and then take off the layers so you're in shorts, or do you generally stay with a sweatsuit?

I know some places must take a while to warmup, especially in the winter mornings, but the thought of playing with sweats does not appeal to me.

I guess if you live n warm weather climate year round you have no worries but how about us northerners?

For the two weeks a year it gets near freezing, I just don't play. The other times when it is 40s to 50s I wear some Nike warmup pants over shorts. It's kind of a thin lightweight vinyl that is easy to play in. I wear a long sleeve shirt over my normal shirt and usually some kind of hat to keep my ears warm. The key is layering. As you warm up, you can peel off the layers.

If you are somewhere colder than that, you are on your own. I have no experience.

COME ON!
06-24-2008, 07:31 PM
i play in washington state and for high school tennis this year at the beginning of the season it was frigid

i wore a t shirt with a performance north face vest over it with a sweatshirt over that then i wore shorts with under armour cold gear pants over them

itsstephenyo
06-24-2008, 07:48 PM
When it gets cold in Texas (and you know how rarely that happens) I usually wear a pair of sweats over shorts. For tops, I'll wear some long sleeve Under Armor type stuff underneath my tennis shirt. If it's really cold, I'll stick a hoodie on over everything.

I'll usually just start shedding clothes once I start to warm up and sweat a bit.

Airwolf
06-25-2008, 04:11 AM
I don't care for wearing pants to play tennis no matter how cold it gets. I'll wear tennis shorts and a sweatshirt. For me, keeping the upper part of my body warm is more important.

OrangeOne
06-25-2008, 04:13 AM
Sometimes people ask the strangest things on these forums....

PimpMyGame
06-25-2008, 04:29 AM
Being from the UK, I'm more used to cold weather than some of the wimps from warmer climes lol. At best I'll wear a tracksuit to warm up but it doesn't stay on long due to my **ahem** larger physique and ability to generate heat virtually at will.

origmarm
06-25-2008, 04:57 AM
I usually wear sweatpants and a long sleeve t-shirt and then a sleeveless fleece. When I've warmed up the pants always come off and sometimes the fleece, it's more important to keep my top half warm I find.

A lot of the time I play indoors in the winter though due to weather in London (rain) and then I just wear the usual shorts and T

chris_ah1
06-25-2008, 07:05 AM
Yeah, but if you're in the uk - if it's cold it's bound to be raining - how the heck do you play?

In the UK even with the cold I wear a tracksuit bottom all the time and slowly get rid of top layers. two t-shirts and fleece. That way i can put the layers back on after I'm done - that is the MOST IMPORTANT THING. It's not the layers you wear whilst cold, it's the layers you put on once you're sweaty and cooling down.

Either way, I usually can't play tennis outdoors from about november until June in oxford and London due to rain and slick courts.

PimpMyGame
06-25-2008, 07:13 AM
Yeah, but if you're in the uk - if it's cold it's bound to be raining - how the heck do you play?

I think the question is about what we wear playing indoors in cold weather...

In the UK even with the cold I wear a tracksuit bottom all the time and slowly get rid of top layers. two t-shirts and fleece. That way i can put the layers back on after I'm done - that is the MOST IMPORTANT THING. It's not the layers you wear whilst cold, it's the layers you put on once you're sweaty and cooling down.

Either way, I usually can't play tennis outdoors from about november until June in oxford and London due to rain and slick courts.

Just go to the pub as soon as you've finished playing. Beer takes care of everything:)

chris_ah1
06-25-2008, 02:26 PM
jaja, lol - i thought of that too - but then thought - if indoors, why would you wear anything but shorts and t-shirt lol??

Surely if you're clever you would've already warned up a bit on the mill/walker done some active stretching etc so no need to warm up on the court and take off layers - they should already be off :p

Errrm,,, depends on where you play of course how many layers can go XD