PDA

View Full Version : Rest in Peace Gaines Hillix

vsgut
06-24-2008, 03:23 PM
Gaines A. Hillix, 60,
[Back to Section] [Send Article to a Friend] [Print this Article] [Express Your Condolences]

Published: 06/24/2008

HILLIX - Gaines A. Hillix 60, beloved husband of Charlotte Hillix, died Saturday, June 14 2008 after a courageous battle with cancer.

Born in Buchanan County, Missouri on January 3, 1948, he was the son William A. Hillix and the late Virginia Gaines Hillix. He was employed by Worldspan as a system analyst and manager and was a member of St. Joseph Catholic Church in Marietta Georgia.

A caring and loving husband, father, son, brother, and grandfather, he was married to the love of his life, Charlotte for the last 40 years.

His happiest times were with his family and countless friends whom he considered his greatest blessing. He was loved for his warm smile, kind heart, gentle humor and generous spirit. He celebrated life and approached everything - including his cancer with incredible strength, amazing faith and remarkable grace. He touched so many lives and will continue to be an inspiration to all who knew him.

He is survived by his wife Charlotte Hillix; son, Scott A. Hillix and his wife Renee of Leavenworth, Kansas; his father William A. Hillix of San Diego, California; one brother, Will Hillix of Kansas City, Missouri, four sisters, Helen Disanto of San Diego, California; Lynn Hillix, Elaine Hillix and Louise Hillix, all of Kansas City, Missouri and his Grandson, Wyatt Hillix.

In honor of Jackson Graham Gaines beloved friend, memorials may be made to Juvenile diabetes Research Foundation International through their website at http://www.jdrf.org/ or by calling 1-800-533-Cure

The family and friends will celebrate the life of Gaines in Marietta GA, on June 27th at St. Josephs Catholic Church at 3: 00 in the afternoon.

Placed by family

ChipNCharge
06-24-2008, 04:56 PM
I learned a lot about stringing from reading Gaines' posts. He was always very friendly and helpful. He will be missed.

diredesire
06-24-2008, 09:18 PM
This is very sad news, Gaines' contributions to the stringing community shows his generosity with his time and resources.

Cheers, Gaines, I hope you are finding peace in a better place.

Brian Purdie
06-25-2008, 04:19 PM
very unfortunate. he was kind to those here.

Radical Shot
06-27-2008, 07:06 PM
Gaines sure knew his tennis stuff. I also learnt a lot from him here. He gave me a lot of pointers on how to string a racquet.

It was always good to read his posts - it was a refreshing change from many of the trash-talking posts here. He conducted himself with poise and came from a position of knowledge. He's got my respect.

I'll always remember the post where people asked him what kind of name is "Gaines Hillix". Very interesting heritage and response.

I'm going to string my Pro Staff "Pete" today in his honour.

10sfreak
06-28-2008, 07:29 AM
Wow, didn't know 'till now that he had passed away...three years ago, I went down and spent a couple of hours having him teach me how to use my Klippermate...very nice guy. R.I.P.

Melissa
06-29-2008, 11:45 AM
Real bummer.

Radical97
06-29-2008, 02:52 PM
Gaines brilliant guy!
Very very generous..

Colpo
06-30-2008, 10:32 AM
I can't even say that I recall having any specific dealings with Gaines on this board, but I must have, because my impression of him is that he was one of the stalwart "good guys" who really built up the quality of this board. No one can deny that if a post was attached to his name, that it was informative and fun to read. Sorry to read about this, but I'd be sorrier still if I hadn't heard at all.

Z-Man
07-01-2008, 06:31 PM
He was a pillar of this community. Always full of helpful information. We'll miss him.

netman
07-02-2008, 11:08 AM
A true loss. Anytime you saw Gaines' name on a post you knew you would learn something. Always thoughtful, concise advice. He will be missed.

-k-

Vector
07-02-2008, 01:40 PM
:sad: ,,,,,,

Koz
07-02-2008, 03:03 PM
He will be missed dearly. He was one of my favorites here :( God bless

heycal
07-03-2008, 07:40 AM
Can someone give the poor dead guy a break and at least spell his name right in the title of this thread? Every time I visit TT I see the "Gaimes Hillix" thread and wonder if he's turning over in his grave.

btw, if I get hit by a bus tomorrow, the name is not heyycal or heycall -- it's "heycal"!!!

heycal
07-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Ok. We're getting there. It appear the spelling of his first name has been fixed since my last post. Only halfway to go!

Boja
07-04-2008, 05:53 PM
I don't visit this board too often but I remember his contributions. His posts were always respectful and informative. A terrible loss.

louis netman
07-05-2008, 01:32 PM
TW message boards have suffered a great loss. Gaines was "The Man" who knew his stuff and always had a friendly, modest air about him. May he play for eternity on the greenest grass courts....

LoveThisGame
07-05-2008, 04:16 PM
To be missed greatly ... generous with his skills and a class act.

TripleB
07-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Hate to hear that....Gaines knew his stuff (not like some of us who pretend we do)!!!

Always learned something from each of his posts...he will be missed.

I look forward to playing him a set or two in Heaven.

TripleB

K. Wilson Moose
07-12-2008, 04:46 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting Gaines several years ago, and we stayed in touch. Traded emails on racquets, stringing etc. Sold him a Prince Chang at one point, even invited me to join his ALTA team. Couldn't do it at the time and regret that it didn't work out. Had lost touch, and I am deeply shocked and saddened to hear of his passing. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and many friends. Rest in peace Gaines, and I hope we have that hit some day. You will be greatly missed.

Kirko
07-13-2008, 04:14 PM
a very nice guy from way back here on TW before the dismal mess its become now. very pleasant and itching to help you. Shalom.

drop shot
07-14-2008, 04:40 AM
What I remember most is about him was that he was extremely knowledgeable, yet he was able to convey his knowledge without coming across as being holier than thou or condescending. I spoke with him via email on a few occassions and he was always polite. Does anyone have a picture of Gaines? It would be nice to add to the thread. He was such an integral part of this forum for so long, it would be nice to memorialize him in some way, maybe name part of the forum for him in some way. Rest in Peace Gaines!!! You were truly one of the good guys.

Tim Tennis
07-15-2008, 03:17 PM
I have only strung my racquet a few times but I used to go to the racquet stringing section and just read his posts. He was so knowledgeable and generious with his time. I have mentioned him many times to the pro that strings my racquets. Stringing racquets really is an art and science.

Best regards,

Ed
Tennis Geometrics

heycal
07-15-2008, 11:57 PM
And now that both his names have been spelled correctly in the title of this thread, he can finally truly rest in peace...

Jackie T. Stephens
07-22-2008, 07:55 PM
I'm not sure that I remember this guy but R.I.P :???:

montx
07-23-2008, 05:04 PM
R.I.P. Gainnes, when my turn comes around maybe I can give you a game of tennis or two.

need2paint
07-23-2008, 09:20 PM
Rest in Peace.

Raiden.Kaminari
07-28-2008, 01:20 AM
Whoa ... was wondering what this thread was.

Gaines was such a great guy.

Condolences to his family and friends.

passerofgasses
08-05-2008, 08:10 AM
I think the best thing we can learn from Gaines Hillix was not tennis related, even though his advice and opinions were time and again of the highest quality found on the board.

He showed me that writing in a respectful, dependable, and concise manner online can foster a great sense of trust from readers and produce very useful and positive interactions.

His examples of generosity will continue to produce positive results through us and our future actions. I would think that as a legacy, that's all any of us could hope to do well.

Thank you, Gaines Hillix.

beernutz
08-05-2008, 11:58 AM
RIP Gaines, you were very helpful to me answering my stringing questions years ago and I've never forgotten the generous sharing of both your time and talent.

thejerk
09-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Thanks Vsgut for letting us know. I have rarely been to the site for about a year now. I have been on and off these boards for years and Gaines was always around.

I believe he was one of the truly good guys. Whenever I'd see his name in a post I'd have to read it. He was that knowledgeable. Never thought I'd see his name in this type of post.

Gaines, if you can find a way to help me, I'd be curious to know what you guys up there do? Don't know what "Rest in Peace" means exactly but hopefully it means something along the line of golf courses.

Gaines, here's to ya. Could ya put in a good word?