PDA

View Full Version : tour 90/lead tape question

rhzehr
03-26-2004, 10:31 AM
Peoples complaints about the tour 90 are a bit confusing to me. Does any one know the answers to these questions:??

How much lead tape does a player like Edberg, Sampras, Courier, Federer (when they used the PS 85) put on a PS 85? Is it enough to make it "slow and cumbersome" like others have said about the tour 90. Where do they put the extra weight handle or head? How many points head light are their racquets and what is the overall weight?

How much would removing the tour 90 bumper guard effect the play of the racquet?

Thanks

Rob

edge
03-26-2004, 10:55 AM
Forget about them, you have to customize according to what you like. Whether you like head light or heavy will decide how much you put under the grip and at the 9 and 3 position.

Bhagi Katbamna
03-26-2004, 10:59 AM
I actually put some tape on the handle under the grip and on the butt-cap to make it a little more head-light. I don't think I could handle a 14 oz club like Sampras.

stevewcosta
03-26-2004, 11:33 AM
Demo the 6.0 85 and T90 together. I find the 6.0 more user-friendly and better all around (for me).

Anonymous
03-26-2004, 03:34 PM
Search the old board for Nate Ferguson's chat.

Kryztof
08-04-2005, 10:27 PM
I'm looking for more head speed with Tour90 because the maneuvrability is very slow and take too much time, how much do i put lead tape near handle to have the same head speed than ps 6.0 95 for exemple?

BreakPoint
08-04-2005, 10:51 PM
I'm looking for more head speed with Tour90 because the maneuvrability is very slow and take too much time, how much do i put lead tape near handle to have the same head speed than ps 6.0 95 for exemple?

You cannot decrease the swingweight by putting lead tape ANYWHERE on the frame, you can only change the balance. Balance does not equate to swingweight.

I don't seriously think you can get the swingweight of the Tour 90 to that of the PS 6.0 95 no matter what you do. There is just too much of a difference. I don't think even removing the bumper guard from the Tour 90 will be enough as the PS 6.0 95 is very easy to swing, whereas, the Tour 90 is very hard to swing, as you already know. Perhaps someone else may have some ideas for you.

finchy
08-05-2005, 06:45 AM
yes, breakpoint is very correct. you could also make a few more minor changes in decreasing the static weight, like replacing the leather grip to a synthetic or only using overgrips.

Michelangelo
08-05-2005, 07:59 AM
Actually, the better way is to do gym more regularly.

Marius_Hancu
08-05-2005, 08:12 AM
Q & A with Nate Ferguson, Sampras' personal stringer
--------
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Features/9908NateFerguson.html

The most important thing that the Wilson Pro Staff 85 gives Pete is
control. I custom "build" his racquet to take as much of the power out
of the racquet as possible. It is a stiff racquet, has a very small
head size, weighs nearly 400 grams/14 ounces and is strung with gut at
around 75 lbs.
--------

I am using two 6.0 85 with enough lead (about 40g) at 6 and 9 to bring it to 410g strung. Don't have anything in the handle at this time. It's a cannon from the baseline, when I launch it. Slower serving head speed, unfortunately.

I am also using a Tour 90 (non-ncode) with enough lead (about 10g) at 6 and 9 to bring it to 370g (again, strung). It's easier to serve with this one in terms of weight and my serves are faster with it. Also, easier to place topspin (but not slice).

Forget about Fed and Sampras, try to use the rackets as you can handle them. Your taste and abilities should dictate how much you load them up.

hummer23
08-05-2005, 08:14 AM
[/Quote] I am using two 6.0 85 with enough lead (about 40g) at 6 and 9 to bring it to 410g strung. Don't have anything in the handle at this time.

I am also using a Tour 90 (non-ncode) with enough lead (about 40g) at 6 and 9 to bring it to 370g (again, strung).

Forget about Fed and Sampras, try to use the rackets as you can handle them. Your taste and abilities should dictate how much you load them up.[/QUOTE]

any arm trouble with those frame? they must wing very heavy also. what is your style of play? and what string do you use?

Marius_Hancu
08-05-2005, 08:20 AM
any arm trouble with those frame? they must wing very heavy also. what is your style of play? and what string do you use?

I'd say S-V moving into an all-court.
No arm troubles.

I had arm troubles with 6.0 85 with no lead!!! (true that was a 3/8 handle, perhaps too small, I am using 5/8 regularly).

String: NXT Tour 17 68lbs or Babolat nat gut Tonic 16 68lbs.

Marius_Hancu
08-05-2005, 08:29 AM
FYI, a stringer which I know which strung for Sampras told me his racket was 389g (not sure if strung or not, probably not).

Also, an italian journal published the Sampras's racquet data after measuring directly.

Weight 393g, balance 32.3cm from the grip (again not sure if strung).

These figures are in the same ballpark as Nat's interview above, thus I tend to think the truth was about there.

Cavaleer
08-05-2005, 08:34 AM
You cannot decrease the swingweight by putting lead tape ANYWHERE on the frame, you can only change the balance. Balance does not equate to swingweight.

I don't seriously think you can get the swingweight of the Tour 90 to that of the PS 6.0 95 no matter what you do. There is just too much of a difference. I don't think even removing the bumper guard from the Tour 90 will be enough as the PS 6.0 95 is very easy to swing, whereas, the Tour 90 is very hard to swing, as you already know. Perhaps someone else may have some ideas for you.

Very true, although I loved the swing of my Tour 90 the first second I held it and swung it. It's even better with lead tape at 3 and 9, generously distributed.

Cavaleer
08-05-2005, 08:46 AM
Actually, the better way is to do gym more regularly.

Exactly, especially with a PS 85.

Kryztof
08-05-2005, 11:04 AM
[QUOTE=Marius_Hancu]Q & A with Nate Ferguson, Sampras' personal stringer
I am also using a Tour 90 (non-ncode) with enough lead (about 40g) at 6 and 9 to bring it to 370g (again, strung). It's easier to serve with this one in terms of weight and my serves are faster with it. Also, easier to place topspin (but not slice).
QUOTE]

What bring you to add 40gr. of lead tape at 3 and 9?
Will the raquet be more unmaveuvrable? less head speed?

Marius_Hancu
08-07-2005, 03:00 AM
What bring you to add 40gr. of lead tape at 3 and 9?
Will the raquet be more unmaveuvrable? less head speed?

CORRECTION: I have 40g only on 6.0 85. About 10-15g on Tour 90.

It's less maneuvrable, but more stable on hard shots and less shock on my elbow at impact. Less head speed, but the mass compensates for it. Also, considerable power, when you are able to handle it. Amazing slices. On volleys, just have to keep it in front of me, which is the correct technique anyway:-)

Galactus
01-16-2006, 11:23 AM
***Test***

Galactus
01-17-2006, 03:57 AM
Also - does anyone know if you can buy replacement bumper-guards for these racquets? :confused: