PDA

View Full Version : Arm problem with my beloved Tour 90! Help!

Classic
02-21-2004, 11:30 AM
I love my Wilson Prostaff Tour 90. I have it strung with Babolat Pro Hurricane at 53 pounds(to get used to the power change)but for some reason my elbow started KILLING ME! I was holding back tears out of all the ppain I was facing while playing today.

What should I do? Should I just use a dampener? Will that help?

gza
02-21-2004, 11:49 AM
Most dampeners you can use are geared toward alleviating the high frequency vibrations; i.e. PiiiIIIIIINNNGGGG!!!

If the pain is that bad, I don't think a vib-dampener will help.

prince
02-21-2004, 12:19 PM
either change the string to a soft playing one , or change your racquet .

HeavyBall
02-21-2004, 12:22 PM
Prince said it best. The only other option is drop the tension to mid to upper 40's, but that's too low for most people. I would also be sure that the stringing machine is calibrated.

polakosaur
02-21-2004, 01:40 PM
it happened to me too about three weeks ago, i have a reason why this happens, the racquet is unrelenting if you don't hit on the center perfectly everytime, if you don't hit in the sweetspot center it kills your arm, i suggest going on a lifting program for you forearms and working on your concentration on the ball to make sure you hit it perfectly eveytime, give it like 2-3 weeks off then play for like 20 min. see how it feels the next day do 30 min. and so on. to condition it back to game shape, i got this cream for my elbow and will post a review on it in the health and fitness in the next week

polakosaur
02-21-2004, 01:42 PM
yesterday i hit for like 1 hour 45 min. and it feels great. also when coming back don't hit with a partner use a wall at a low power to slowly bring you elbow back

Anonymous
02-21-2004, 03:40 PM
Yup! To reduce the likelehood of injury, or when coming back from an injury (if the unfortunate has already happened), make sure you slowly and gradually warm up and cool down. Stretch before and after playing. I would string the racket with gut, at least in the mains if not all around. If using a hybrid, go for a crisp monofilament like OG Micro in the crosses. Sometimes stringing two-piece with the crosses a couple pounds lower helps expand the sweet spot. The gut will act as the damper to your arm. A rubber thingy will not dampen shock to your arm coming from a 12.5 ounce instrument. Gut makes the difference sometimes, but if you were holding back tears, I would also make sure your strokes were OK. Hit the ball in front on your shots. I think what killed me before was hitting serves behind me. In that case I was not even hitting the ball at the optimum point. Much better to take advantage of any weight in your body.

polakosaur
02-22-2004, 12:51 PM
i forgot to tell you about the stretching and warm up stuff get the usta conditioning book they have alot of good stretches in there with alot of other useful information. you should also like a rubber tubing so you can warm up and stretch your muscles with that works really well, be creative and make some exercises up with it, a really good stretch is to stand side ways to a wall (at home) or fence (and the court) and put your arm out with fingers facing up and stretch, then switch and fingers facing down thsi hits the muscle that gets the pain.

john cheng
02-23-2004, 10:04 AM
Used tour 90 for 6 months and developed a bad case of elbow tendinitis. Worked on physical therapy, icing, rest, meds and iontophoresis but nothing helped. Swithed to c10 pro and after 11 months of gradually resuming playtime, I am now able to play and enjoy the game without pain again. By the way, I was using the POG OS prior to switching to tour 90. I guess it is a big of a jump from a 107 si head to a 90 si. Should have done it gradually. But I am never going back to the tour 90 ( I did enjoy playing with it though ). Good luck.

K!ck5w3rvE
03-20-2004, 01:48 AM
use Babolat XCELL Premium strung very low. it will reduce the strain dramatically

Morpheus
03-20-2004, 03:22 AM
Has anything changed in your game (mechanics, frequency of play, equipment etc)?

Has this been a gradual problem that you've ignored until it really started hurting?

If you can identify anyting in question 1, then go back to what you were doing.

If it is a gradual problem, then its time to make a bigger change, like softer strings and flexier racket. YOu may want to have a pro look at your strokes to see if your doing anything that may stress the elbow.

In any case, warm up well and use ice after you're finished. Give it some time off (until you don't feel pain) then start up slowly. Also I've read that Ibuprofin actually slows the healing process, so go easy on the Advil.

larrhall
03-20-2004, 06:48 AM
This frame is a chore to play with, from what I could tell. You can get the same sort of consistency from several similar racquets, not to mention the 6.0 85. Do yourself a favor and look at the 85, or the 95, or the Volkl V-10, a fine frame, or an Estusa or...something else.

James Brown
03-20-2004, 08:26 AM
hey, i hit with the 6.0 95, and ive been getting massive elbow and bicep soreness lately. I found it was due to mechanics (needed to straighten out my arm when hitting, and voila, pain gone). check your self out and then blame the racquet!