PDA

View Full Version : California Community College Tennis

gokou703
06-27-2008, 07:34 PM
I thought I'd start a thread for all us non D-1 to D-3 college players. Post if you played CA Community College and what team you play/played for. I played for Chabot 2004-05 by the way.

VAmazona
06-29-2008, 06:05 PM
San Diego Mesa College

MomentumGT
06-30-2008, 03:30 PM
Glendale College in 1999 then walked on the UCR team in 2001 but didn't stay for the full season. :( . Partying, drinking, and girls pulled me away from tennis :oops:

-Jon

gokou703
06-30-2008, 03:56 PM
Glendale College in 1999 then walked on the UCR team in 2001 but didn't stay for the full season. :( . Partying, drinking, and girls pulled me away from tennis :oops:

-Jon

haha i wish girls and partying was the reason i pulled away from tennis lately lol...don't worry man that stuff kept a bunch of my friends from even getting into college tennis

MomentumGT
06-30-2008, 04:07 PM
haha i wish girls and partying was the reason i pulled away from tennis lately lol...don't worry man that stuff kept a bunch of my friends from even getting into college tennis

Maybe I'm embarrassed because I miss those types of girls...and partying...yeah :oops:

-Jon

weaver
06-30-2008, 05:10 PM
Diablo Valley College 06-07

armstrong
06-30-2008, 05:23 PM
I played at Foothill College 2001-2002. I stopped playing before the season officially started in late 2002 early 2003.

TourTenor
07-01-2008, 09:44 AM
Monterey Peninsula Junior College #2 (many moons ago 8))

Dedans Penthouse
07-01-2008, 10:56 AM

-Jon
Jon, why the :oops: "embarrassed" face??? ... Well done lad!!!...well done!! :-)

Joeyg
07-02-2008, 06:18 AM
Played for Chabot in 1999 (at age 44). Currently coach there. Too bad the Coast Conference has lost so many teams in recent years. MPCC, Canada, CSM, CCSF, SJ City, Ohlone (came back this year with 4 players), West Valley, etc.

atatu
07-02-2008, 07:00 AM
I should have played for COS (College of the Sequoias) back in 1981, but I decided to give up tennis and go to UCSB instead, which I kind of regret. Does COS still have a team ?

goober
07-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Played for Chabot in 1999 (at age 44). Currently coach there.

wow 44! That's great. There is a teaching pro around here that started tennis at age 40, ended up playing on a JC team about the same age as you did. He now is one of the top ranked players in his age group in the area. People ask him where he played his college tennis and he surprises them with his answer.:)

I play against some JC players off and on. I think sometimes yeah I can definitely hang with these guys if I could play tennis regularly and get into shape. Too bad job and family are getting in the way! lol

ch4ng
07-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Long Beach City College 2007-2008

tenniko
07-02-2008, 11:25 AM
is there no age limit for the jc atheletics?

goober
07-02-2008, 11:38 AM

There's no age limit in D1,2 and 3 either. NCAA may have passed an age rule for tennis in D1(not sure about this) but there was a 60+ year old playing D2 tennis and 30-50 year olds in other sports I have seen.

Julieta
07-03-2008, 04:43 PM
I think in D1 you start losing eligibility so there is an age limit. There's a lot of 23 year olds in college tennis but not too much over 25 in D1. D2 and D3 anything goes I think. Someone also told me that if you played another sport, say baseball, it starts over for different sports. So its possible to have played college baseball and then play college tennis at 30 or whatever. I am not 100 percent sure about that though.

gokou703
07-07-2008, 04:10 PM

Yeah there's no age limit. As long as you haven't used two years of eligibility you can play at the JC level.
I found that most of the "older" players i played in JC tennis were really well rounded. My worst whoopin was against some #1 player who was at least 30 years old. I barely had any unforced errors either! He just laid the smack down lol.

jaggy
07-07-2008, 04:37 PM
I went to San Diego City College back when I was a good club player but never considered the team. About 2 years after moving on to SD State I played City Colleges #1 player and killed him like 1 and 1. I wish I had played there now just to say id played college.

kevsaenz
07-07-2008, 11:59 PM
I played for Orange Coast College's team last semester and am going to play again in the spring.

shavenyak
07-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Pasadena City College 1998 and 1999. Tennis program was disbanded in 1999 because of Title iX and that they couldn't find enough women to play badminton. It may be back, I don't know. Played like #6 singles and #1 doubles. Always better at doubles for some reason.

tbini87
07-18-2008, 11:11 AM
played last season at Palomar CC in San Marcos. had an absolute blast! got to play in ojai and the so cal regionals.

tbini87
07-18-2008, 11:12 AM
San Diego Mesa College

when did you play?

ChuDat
07-18-2008, 01:00 PM
I thought I'd start a thread for all us non D-1 to D-3 college players. Post if you played CA Community College and what team you play/played for. I played for Chabot 2004-05 by the way.

I know a some people on the Chabot team last year including that one japanese guy Yuki Asari, Nima Mogharei, Phillip wan and John Carbonell.
I've seen Jason Huk and his brother play aswell

gokou703
07-18-2008, 04:02 PM
I know a some people on the Chabot team last year including that one japanese guy Yuki , Nima , Phillipp and John .
I've seen Jason and his brother play aswell

I know most of those guys. They played right after I finished my last year. I haven't kept in touch or visited Chabot in a while, too busy with my new job and teaching creds. Do you play for another team in the area?

ChuDat
07-18-2008, 06:57 PM
I know most of those guys. They played right after I finished my last year. I haven't kept in touch or visited Chabot in a while, too busy with my new job and teaching creds. Do you play for another team in the area?

No I'm still in High school and I probably won't play college tennis.

!<-_->!
10-06-2008, 08:04 PM
I know a some people on the Chabot team last year including that one japanese guy Yuki Asari, Nima Mogharei, Phillip wan and John Carbonell.
I've seen Jason Huk and his brother play aswell

I think you know most of the team that my friend was on. He's going to play Chabot this year and I'm going to try to play as well.

ChuDat
10-06-2008, 08:16 PM
I think you know most of the team that my friend was on. He's going to play Chabot this year and I'm going to try to play as well.

most of the team from last year will be gone.

weaver
10-06-2008, 11:10 PM
i hear Yuki is trying to walk on to CAL?

!<-_->!
10-07-2008, 02:47 PM
most of the team from last year will be gone.

Yes, I'm fully aware of this. My roommate played last year. And my friend will be playing this year and played not last year but year before that. He helps the coach recruit from Cal.

Joeyg
10-07-2008, 03:52 PM
Who was your roomate? I am one of the coaches at Chabot. Are you planning on playing for us this year? If so, I will see you there. Coach Joe.

ChuDat
10-07-2008, 05:20 PM
i hear Yuki is trying to walk on to CAL?

I think he might be playing for them this year, I'm not 100% sure

!<-_->!
10-07-2008, 11:24 PM
Who was your roomate? I am one of the coaches at Chabot. Are you planning on playing for us this year? If so, I will see you there. Coach Joe.

My roommate is Pin and my friend who played a couple of years ago is Carl. My other friend who played last year on the girl's team is Amber.

Also, I'm going to try to play. Not sure if I'm up to the level or have the time to. More so concerned about the former than the latter.

Joeyg
10-08-2008, 05:52 AM
Pin is a nice guy. It was me that got him his racket deal.

!<-_->!
10-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Ah, cool. That's a really good deal he got.

scotus
10-09-2008, 08:52 AM
So if an old man wants to play on a community college team, does he need to be enrolled in a degree program?

Can one be a part-time student and still join the team?

If there's no age limit, what are some other rules?

!<-_->!
10-09-2008, 09:05 AM
I think you just need to enroll in enough units to be a full-time student.

Btw, on the Cal club team, there's some guy who is playing that is at least in his 40's. I assume he's a grad student or something.

weaver
10-09-2008, 09:54 AM
So if an old man wants to play on a community college team, does he need to be enrolled in a degree program?

Can one be a part-time student and still join the team?

If there's no age limit, what are some other rules?

I'm pretty sure the only rule is that you have to be enrolled for 12 units...

MomentumGT
10-09-2008, 10:13 AM
^^that be correct. When I played for Glendale Jr. College in 99' we had a guy who was a Pharmacist 2 years in his career that graduated from USC practice with us and travel to some of our matches. He never played but he was pretty decent and he just wanted to live out his HS dream of playing for a school and being part of a team even if it was only as a practice partner.

-Jon

goober
10-09-2008, 10:47 AM
I'm pretty sure the only rule is that you have to be enrolled for 12 units...

There probably are some limitations if you have played college tennis before I would imagine.

weaver
10-09-2008, 11:30 AM
There probably are some limitations if you have played college tennis before I would imagine.

sorry my mistake. You can only play 2 years of college tennis at a CC so if you've played 4 years at any other university you can't play at a CC anymore cause the total number of eligibility is 4 years... and 2 max at a CC

NoobWannabe
10-09-2008, 12:32 PM
I played for Orange Coast College's team last semester and am going to play again in the spring.

Kevin you noob! haha

kevsaenz
10-10-2008, 11:14 PM
Kevin you noob! haha

don't make me beat you again N00B!

Railbird
10-22-2008, 10:51 AM
Grossmont Grifs 1986

!<-_->!
11-08-2008, 05:12 PM
JoeyG, my roommate Pin is trying to get in contact with you. One of his frames cracked and he was wondering if it'd be possible to get it replaced under warranty

Joeyg
11-10-2008, 07:17 AM
Have Pin give Rick Morris and we will get the Dunlop info to him.

Fedace
11-10-2008, 11:03 AM
JoeyG, my roommate Pin is trying to get in contact with you. One of his frames cracked and he was wondering if it'd be possible to get it replaced under warranty

Yea, he will go into his cave and smelt your roomate a new racket..:)

goober
11-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Yea, he will go into his cave and smelt your roomate a new racket..:)

Smelt a racquet? Nice attempt- but wrong word. I guess vocabulary was not a big thing with you at "Standford"

TourTenor
11-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Smelt a racquet? Nice attempt- but wrong word. I guess vocabulary was not a big thing with you at "Standford"
Perhaps a "roo-mate" is an Australian term for a Kangaroo that lives with you? So, in 'Fedace speak' .... "he smelt your roomate" translates into "he smelled your Kangaroo." Very creative, the Fedster, I can see why he quickly passed all his "Standford" classes. :wink:

Fedace
11-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Perhaps a "roo-mate" is an Australian term for a Kangaroo that lives with you? So, in 'Fedace speak' .... "he smelt your roomate" translates into "he smelled your Kangaroo." Very creative, the Fedster, I can see why he quickly passed all his "Standford" classes. :wink:

Yes ,,,you and your lifelong partner,,the "Kangaroo" can also put some shrimp on a barbie and go mammoth hunting...LOL.. you are too far from the civilized world...:)

TourTenor
11-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Hmmm, interesting commentary coming from someone who brought up the topic of caves and "roomates". Have you considered grad school in Palo Alto?

goober
11-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Hmmm, interesting commentary coming from someone who brought up the topic of caves and "roomates". Have you considered grad school in Palo Alto?

Yes he should strongly consider this grad school in Palo Alto: The Institute of Transpersonal Psychology. http://www.itp.edu/

If that doesn't work out. He should just hang out in East Palo Alto and build his street cred.

!<-_->!
11-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Have Pin give Rick Morris and we will get the Dunlop info to him.

You want him to give the racquet to Rick or just have him talk to Rick to get the info?

Joeyg
11-11-2008, 05:08 AM
Have Pin call Rick or he can email me at joegrechtennis@hotmail.com

Joeyg
11-11-2008, 06:52 AM
Dr. Fedace, unlike some, I have contacts in the tennis world. Some of the players on the Chabot College team that I coach have preferred player deals with Dunlop due to the fact that I have a relationship with the Dunlop rep. The boy that the poster was referring to is one of my players. I would imaigne that Dunlop will mold a new racket, not smelt one.

I find it incredible that a physician is unaware of the difference. Especially one with a "Standford" undergrad degree. Was your degree in broken English?

goober
11-11-2008, 07:04 AM

Maybe he wanted mate with some roos in a cave after he smelt them?

Joeyg
11-11-2008, 10:15 AM
After all, we are all aware of his penchant for smelly, hot blondes. Perhaps he has smelt them in the past and this was just a freudian slip?

weaver
11-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Joey, how chabot looking this year? I don't think DVC is looking to hot anymore...

Joeyg
11-12-2008, 05:21 AM
We should be tough again. Fairly strong 1-4 and 1 & 2 dubs.

ryc3
11-16-2008, 03:07 PM
I go to Pasadena City College. No Team. which makes me sad. ;_; I don't want to go to GCC so I can play.

tbini87
11-16-2008, 05:22 PM
i played 6 singles and 3 dubs for Palomar last year. had a blast. won a few matches in our conference tournament and a dubs match in ojai which was great. got to see a lot of good players play, and got to lose to a few also!

vbranis
11-16-2008, 06:07 PM
I'm playing for College of the Desert this year. It's a really solid Div.III team, winning the State Championship several times. Most of the team members are from South America, and very good.

goober
11-16-2008, 07:09 PM
I'm playing for College of the Desert this year. It's a really solid Div.III team, winning the State Championship several times. Most of the team members are from South America, and very good.

How can a community college team be also Div III ?

Joeyg
11-17-2008, 07:38 AM
It isn't, Goob. They are the best JC team in California. The team I help coach, Chabot in Hayward, played them for the state JC title two years in a row. All foreign players most of the time. We used to say that they were the best team money could buy! Lots of wealthy boosters.

goober
11-17-2008, 07:45 AM
It isn't, Goob. They are the best JC team in California. The team I help coach, Chabot in Hayward, played them for the state JC title two years in a row. All foreign players most of the time. We used to say that they were the best team money could buy! Lots of wealthy boosters.

ok that is what I thought.

Interestingly I played with one of COD's former female players that went to the semifinals(I think) in the CC state championships. She teaches part time at a center in Palm Desert. She was telling me how strong of a program they were. I didn't realize though at the time they were JC, I thought they were NAIA or small school.

I wonder how they get these foreign players to go there? Can you give scholarships for JC? I thought the tuition was very low.

Joeyg
11-17-2008, 09:27 AM
The tuition for a foreign student is extremely high compared to an in house state kid. I believe that they have "sponsors" to take care of those annoying little details like tuition, books and food.

vbranis
11-18-2008, 11:40 AM
ok that is what I thought.

Interestingly I played with one of COD's former female players that went to the semifinals(I think) in the CC state championships. She teaches part time at a center in Palm Desert. She was telling me how strong of a program they were. I didn't realize though at the time they were JC, I thought they were NAIA or small school.

I wonder how they get these foreign players to go there? Can you give scholarships for JC? I thought the tuition was very low.

No scholarships are given for JC teams. The tuition is actually extremely high for foreign students, they have to pay 3x or 4x more for classes. I'm not sure how they got to COD either, they are good enough to play for any D2 or many D1 schools. Maybe the coach has some connections, I don't know... It's just my 1st semester and the season doesn't start until Feb.

EDIT: In my previous post, I meant to say that it's like a really solid D3 team. Sorry for the confusion.

BTW, besides me, there's only 1 other local team member. Everyone else is foreign.

tbini87
11-20-2008, 01:04 PM
No scholarships are given for JC teams. The tuition is actually extremely high for foreign students, they have to pay 3x or 4x more for classes. I'm not sure how they got to COD either, they are good enough to play for any D2 or many D1 schools. Maybe the coach has some connections, I don't know... It's just my 1st semester and the season doesn't start until Feb.

EDIT: In my previous post, I meant to say that it's like a really solid D3 team. Sorry for the confusion.

BTW, besides me, there's only 1 other local team member. Everyone else is foreign.

do you know who the returners are? i think a buddy of mine lost in three sets to the #3 seed at ojai who was from COD. short kid with great serve and forehand and 1hbh. maybe his name was evan... but can't remember.

vbranis
11-20-2008, 02:41 PM
do you know who the returners are? i think a buddy of mine lost in three sets to the #3 seed at ojai who was from COD. short kid with great serve and forehand and 1hbh. maybe his name was evan... but can't remember.

You're probably referring to Evan Jurgensen. He's kind of short, looks Asian, and has a 1-hander. I never had the chance to play him, and he transferred to UC Santa Barbara this year. Very good player, he played #1 for COD.

MomentumGT
11-21-2008, 06:24 PM

College of the Desert = COD = Cash On Delivery = consistently strong top team :twisted::twisted:

Just what my teammates and I referred to them when I played for GCC in 99.

-Jon

ci2ca
11-23-2008, 07:53 PM
hey JoeyG. I'm at De Anza college and we played chabot a couple times. All good matches if you can remember. What do you think of our 17 year old #1 player? Haha.

kevsaenz
11-28-2008, 11:51 PM
Im pretty sure COD didn't make it to the finals last year, also i though their #2 player the asain guy was better than jergunsen.