PDA

View Full Version : College Club Tennis (Tennis on Campus)

dork2tennisstud
06-27-2008, 07:45 PM
This thread can be the first one in the official college tennis area for club tennis. I just graduated from Syracuse, where I was Captain for two years, and club tennis was a really great experience for me.

This past year I really got out act together and we had some really good players. We played at Flushing Meadows (including Armstrong Stadium) for a tournament in the fall, we won our section, and we finished top 15 at Nationals in Cary, NC (great time).

For those of you who aren't up on "Tennis on Campus," it can be as big or as little as you want. Over 200 colleges have teams, now. Some are just kids who like to play tennis and aren't very competitive and hardly ever travel. Others have 5.0 level players (kids who could play/did play for some D-1 schools) and are more serious. Generally you only practice a few times a week, though, and most matches are pretty casual except for big tournaments like Nationals.

dork2tennisstud
06-27-2008, 07:47 PM
By the way, what do the other club players out there think of the WTT format they use at sectionals and nationals? I didn't like it at first, because our team was pretty big, and it excluded a lot of kids from playing in major events, but it grew on me. It was great for Nationals.

D-Bomb
06-27-2008, 10:26 PM
oh wow, I've just been wondering about this. I actually have a question for you d2ss. I'm going to UCLA in the fall and I'd like to play for the traveling club team, and I know I have to try out, but I have no idea what level I've gotta be to compete. I'd call myself a 4.5 and I played #3 singles at my high school in CA (we are a decent team, quarters of sectional tourney). Ya think I've got a shot?

Oh and I'd reply to your question about the format but I don't know enough about it to have an opinion.

tenniko
06-28-2008, 02:37 AM
oh wow, I've just been wondering about this. I actually have a question for you d2ss. I'm going to UCLA in the fall and I'd like to play for the traveling club team, and I know I have to try out, but I have no idea what level I've gotta be to compete. I'd call myself a 4.5 and I played #3 singles at my high school in CA (we are a decent team, quarters of sectional tourney). Ya think I've got a shot?

Oh and I'd reply to your question about the format but I don't know enough about it to have an opinion.

I was the captain for the UC Irvine's team and just graduated. I think if you are a solid 4.5-5.0 you have a good chance of making the UCLA Club team. They have(had?) some insane guys and it's rather competitive at UCLA I hear.

By the way, what do the other club players out there think of the WTT format they use at sectionals and nationals? I didn't like it at first, because our team was pretty big, and it excluded a lot of kids from playing in major events, but it grew on me. It was great for Nationals.

Hey, what section do you guys play on? Did you guys play Columbia in your section? I am heading out to Columbia in the fall for grad school and I think I'm going to be playing for their club team.

Nationals was fun indeed.

dork2tennisstud
06-28-2008, 08:30 PM
D-Bomb, UCLA has a very strong club team . . . actually, a lot of the California schools have really good club teams (Berkeley, Stanford, USC, Irvine, Davis). I'd expect the "stars" of the team to be in the 5.0 range and the majority of the players in the 4.5 range, so you should be right in the mix. Good luck.

Tenniko: I remember your team, Irvine, being at Nationals. Yes, Syracuse and Columbia are both in the Eastern Section. Cornell's been the class of the section most years, but we beat them this year. Columbia, surprising has had a small, poorly run team the last few years. They didn't even bother coming to Sectionals this year. If you were the Captain at Irvine, I'm sure you can help get them straightened out. I imagine there's a lot more good tennis players at Columbia who just need to be convinced to play club tennis; all the other Ivy's are loaded talent.

Rutgers, Stony Brook, and UConn all have club teams that shouldn't be too far from NYC. Syracuse, Cornell, SUNY-Geneseo, RPI, Rochester, and RIT make up the rest of the Eastern Section. You should be able to find contact info on collegeclubtennis.com.

tenniko
06-28-2008, 11:00 PM
D-Bomb, UCLA has a very strong club team . . . actually, a lot of the California schools have really good club teams (Berkeley, Stanford, USC, Irvine, Davis). I'd expect the "stars" of the team to be in the 5.0 range and the majority of the players in the 4.5 range, so you should be right in the mix. Good luck.

Tenniko: I remember your team, Irvine, being at Nationals. Yes, Syracuse and Columbia are both in the Eastern Section. Cornell's been the class of the section most years, but we beat them this year. Columbia, surprising has had a small, poorly run team the last few years. They didn't even bother coming to Sectionals this year. If you were the Captain at Irvine, I'm sure you can help get them straightened out. I imagine there's a lot more good tennis players at Columbia who just need to be convinced to play club tennis; all the other Ivy's are loaded talent.

Rutgers, Stony Brook, and UConn all have club teams that shouldn't be too far from NYC. Syracuse, Cornell, SUNY-Geneseo, RPI, Rochester, and RIT make up the rest of the Eastern Section. You should be able to find contact info on collegeclubtennis.com.

Yeah, I got in touch with their club. They said that the majority of players are 3.5-4.0 range. I'm sure that there are more stronger players out there, they are probably focused more on academics than in recreational tennis, since it's ivy league and all (but other ivys seem to be playing tennis...hmm...). Maybe being in the middle of NYC and not having readily accessible courts could be the reason (the club practices at some private facility away from the school).

Hopefully if the grad school work isn't too much I probably can help out a bit with their club.

EC230
06-29-2008, 12:32 AM
Hey Tenniko,

I'm on the UC Davis club team and we played you guys at Nationals! Anyways, just dropping you a line to see how things are! Good luck with grad school (and welcome to the grad student community haha)!

E

tenniko
06-29-2008, 05:26 AM
Hey EC230,

Yeah I remember playing you guys too, and thanks for the welcome. Mine is only a 12-month Masters program so it will be rather a short stay with the grad community.

I'm going to miss playing in California. Especially since the Nationals is moving to Arizona next year...

weaver
07-01-2008, 05:40 PM

Good luck sir! I think you should start hitting with more people so you get some matches in! Maybe start taking up lessons again! BTW stop beating up on the kids at camp! :)

Skybox006
07-03-2008, 09:35 AM
Talking about Club Tennis, i was the president of club tennis at UNC Greensboro, in NC. I played all four years and was president for the last. I loved playing, especially since we made Nationals. I made a lot of friends and try to keep in touch with some. I'm not used to the WTT scoring system but I loved it and would play again any day.

dork2tennisstud
07-04-2008, 08:42 PM
Anyone know what the story is with tennisoncampus.com? At college club nationals, they said it would be up my May, but obviously it isn't.

I know USTA wanted their own version of collegeclubtennis.com (the current place to go for college club info) and were hoping this would be it. They were getting tired of teams having a ranking on collegeclubtennis.com and then going to Nationals and not being seeded as high.

10isDad
07-05-2008, 10:23 AM
Anyone know what the story is with tennisoncampus.com? At college club nationals, they said it would be up my May, but obviously it isn't.

I know USTA wanted their own version of collegeclubtennis.com (the current place to go for college club info) and were hoping this would be it. They were getting tired of teams having a ranking on collegeclubtennis.com and then going to Nationals and not being seeded as high.

The USTA built it into their website:

http://www.usta.com/PlayNow/College.aspx

dork2tennisstud
07-05-2008, 08:53 PM
Oh, very nice. I hadn't seen that. They've had a page like that before, but it was not nearly this in depth. Thanks for the heads up.

dork2tennisstud
07-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Actually, I lied, this is exactly what they had before except with updated graphics. They originally said they'd have team profiles and schedules and stuff (like collegeclubtennis.com). Maybe they decided what they had was good enough. No big deal; just wondering. Thanks again.

randomname
08-01-2008, 02:46 AM
as far as ratings of club players go, you'll probably do quite well as a strong 4.5. I would say the very best players are only 5.0s and there are only a handfull of them. jorge bouffier from texas is probably the best player in club tennis right now and he has a so-so record in 5.0 play.

MTChong
08-01-2008, 08:52 AM
I play Club Tennis at Dartmouth; I don't know how strong our program is as I only had one year there. In the Spring though, we did pretty well in the two tournaments we played -- one at Yale and the other at UNH.

dork2tennisstud
08-01-2008, 11:50 AM
Randomname, I played Jorge in men's doubles at Nationals, this year. He and his partner (Matt something) were very good and beat me and my partner 6-2. I came away thinking he was very good, but not insane.

However, in the finals against Cal, Jorge looked damn near unbeatable by club tennis standards.

dork2tennisstud
08-01-2008, 11:55 AM
MTC, I'm not really sure how strong Dartmouth is either, but I've played some other teams in your section.

Brown had an EXCELLENT team this year, and Harvard had VERY strong guys, but just so-so girls. We played Northeastern in the fall, and they were just okay. Yale seemed pretty good, though we never played them.

Brown and Harvard were definitely for real, though, but I can't tell how deep the New England section is. You should definitely try to get your team down to Syracuse this year for a tournament (they host a big one in the spring). Good luck.

randomname
08-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Randomname, I played Jorge in men's doubles at Nationals, this year. He and his partner (Matt something) were very good and beat me and my partner 6-2. I came away thinking he was very good, but not insane.

However, in the finals against Cal, Jorge looked damn near unbeatable by club tennis standards.

yeah, I play at A&M so I've seen quite a bit of jorge. he isnt un-beatable there are just very few things that work well against him, if you know who the dibuas are (the giant nigerians) omon used to kick his *** pretty routinely with a serve and volley game. but jorge was playing out of his mind in the finals, cal's sub didnt even win a point when he went in, I felt bad for the guy (but not that bad, since they did just beat us). It was a real shame though, cal's girls were absolutely insane but their guys completely collapsed in the finals, I seriously think that their girl was better than their guy in mixed.

MTChong
08-01-2008, 02:56 PM
MTC, I'm not really sure how strong Dartmouth is either, but I've played some other teams in your section.

Brown had an EXCELLENT team this year, and Harvard had VERY strong guys, but just so-so girls. We played Northeastern in the fall, and they were just okay. Yale seemed pretty good, though we never played them.

Brown and Harvard were definitely for real, though, but I can't tell how deep the New England section is. You should definitely try to get your team down to Syracuse this year for a tournament (they host a big one in the spring). Good luck.

Syracuse is pretty far for our team to go with a small budget. The Yale players were solid and our A team beat theirs. Surprisingly, the team that gave us the most trouble was UNH; they had a phenomenal girl playing mixed -- best hands I've seen, absolutely amazing at the net. We also played against Northeastern in the spring and won, but I don't think they had all their top guys and neither did we so it'd be hard to gauge. That said, I do hear that both Brown and Harvard are excellent teams. And unlike Harvard, I'd say our girls are much stronger than our guys.

tenniko
08-02-2008, 09:08 AM
Syracuse is pretty far for our team to go with a small budget. The Yale players were solid and our A team beat theirs. Surprisingly, the team that gave us the most trouble was UNH; they had a phenomenal girl playing mixed -- best hands I've seen, absolutely amazing at the net. We also played against Northeastern in the spring and won, but I don't think they had all their top guys and neither did we so it'd be hard to gauge. That said, I do hear that both Brown and Harvard are excellent teams. And unlike Harvard, I'd say our girls are much stronger than our guys.

If you guys were wondering, Brown's no.1 had played for UC ... SB or SC. We talked to him after we played them.

BabblingPsychopath
08-04-2008, 06:48 AM
My son is off to Williams in a few weeks. It doesn't look like they currently have a tennis club. Anyone have any experience with starting a tennis club>?

hmwmai
08-04-2008, 03:37 PM
anyone know about the club tennis scene at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill?

Fedace
08-04-2008, 04:07 PM
This thread would be much better and not to mention attractive if it had some pics of hot club tennis girls....lol

Skybox006
08-04-2008, 04:15 PM
anyone know about the club tennis scene at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill?

I know something about Chapel Hill's club scene, a lot of my friends play and I keep in contact with most of them, do you need any information, hopefully if you want to play, I can get in contact with the captain. Both the girls captain and the guys captain I know. I was the President of UNC-Greensboro, so I played them a lot since they were in the NC League. Let me know what I can do to help.

hmwmai
08-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Well i was just wondering im going to be a junior in high school and UNC has been my favorite college since i was born and i really want to go there and id love to play some kind of tennis there

tykrum
08-04-2008, 08:08 PM
as far as ratings of club players go, you'll probably do quite well as a strong 4.5. I would say the very best players are only 5.0s and there are only a handfull of them. jorge bouffier from texas is probably the best player in club tennis right now and he has a so-so record in 5.0 play.

I'm a 4.5, and at 2007 nationals my partner (also a 4.5) and I beat Jorge and his partner 6-1. Our singles player (also a 4.5) was up 4-0 on Jorge but let it get to his head and lost 6-4.

The best player in club tennis in 2008 was Brennen Phippen from Wisconsin. He used to be their varsity #3 before he got injured and lost his scholarship. He was injured part of the time at nationals, along with the other two best guys for Wisco, which I think really prevented them from winning it all.

dork2tennisstud
08-05-2008, 06:57 AM
There are definitely a few really good club players that I'd like to see play each other.

USC had a guy who was pretty damn good. I forget his name, Jason Black maybe? He's a grad student. Penn State's Steve Eaglen isn't too shabby either.

Also, don't forget Baylor had a girl at Nationals who was a former varsity All-American. I think she only dropped one game in singles at Nationals the whole time. Cal's girls were awfully good, too.

Fedace
08-05-2008, 06:59 AM
There are definitely a few really good club players that I'd like to see play each other.

USC had a guy who was pretty damn good. I forget his name, Jason Black maybe? He's a grad student. Penn State's Steve Eaglen isn't too shabby either.

Also, don't forget Baylor had a girl at Nationals who was a former varsity All-American. I think she only dropped one game in singles at Nationals the whole time. Cal's girls were awfully good, too.

Do you have any pics ?? i am sure you had that digital camara working ?/:)

!<-_->!
08-06-2008, 08:52 AM
Cal's girls aren't too attractive though. I've seen the team and one of them is my friend, haha.

tenniko
08-06-2008, 02:32 PM

Matt Black.

He's a quite a ... "personality" in So-cal club tennis. Most of the USC club guys are grad students, which I found interesting that grads have more time to play tennis than undergrads, in USC.

tenniko
08-06-2008, 02:38 PM
My son is off to Williams in a few weeks. It doesn't look like they currently have a tennis club. Anyone have any experience with starting a tennis club>?

I started the club at UCI, so I guess I could try to give a few pointers.

First he should contact the school and make sure that they don't have a tennis club, since some tennis clubs (including mine) don't really advertise ourselves too much on the campus.

If there isn't a tennis club, he should contact the appropriate school admin about starting a club. Our school had the athletic clubs separate from rest of the clubs, for example. Then, he should contact the USTA Tennis on Campus Coordinator in that region. They are very helpful, and they can help your son start a new club through funding, promotion, etc.

If he does start a new club, I would say start modest and build up as he goes along. The most important thing IMO is getting core members who will commit to the club, no matter how good he/she is at tennis.

Hope this helps a little.

Enrai
08-06-2008, 06:24 PM
I play for the Florida International University club team and we would love it you guys if possible, can come down for a friendly match. We are located in Miami, Florida and we have some awesome players. So if you guys are ever in the area, feel free to hit us up!

Spinmasterj
08-07-2008, 12:29 PM
Has anyone had any experience with the Indiana University club team? I am about to start my freshman year there and I was just wondering if they actually had a team and if so how good are they?

randomname
08-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Do you have any pics ?? i am sure you had that digital camara working ?/:)

fedace, seriously, what the hell is wrong with you? your such a creep

tykrum
08-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Has anyone had any experience with the Indiana University club team? I am about to start my freshman year there and I was just wondering if they actually had a team and if so how good are they?

We played them last year, and yes, they have a team, and yes, they were pretty good. The best players were pretty strong 4.5s.

Spinmasterj
08-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Thanks tykrum.
It's good to know they have some solid players. That means there will be good people to hit with that aren't to busy with the varsity NCAA team.

COME ON!
08-11-2008, 12:57 PM
anyone know what penn states club team is like
i may end up there next year and im kinda curious

tykrum
08-11-2008, 07:46 PM
Penn State always has one of the best teams in the country. You will have to be pretty good to make their travel team, and really good to make their nationals team.

COME ON!
08-12-2008, 07:41 AM
thats what i assumed since their varsity is f-in crazy

i have a visit tomorrow so i guess we'll see how i measure up

OleNole
09-03-2008, 03:56 PM
I've got club tryouts this weekend, and since my high school team was no-cut, I've never had to try out before. Besides match play, what should I expect?

darkhorse
09-07-2008, 06:28 PM
I've also got a club tryout in a couple weeks, looking forward to it. The club at GVSU is kind of in it's infancy, I tried to get involved last winter but I think the guys running it were pretty surprised by the amount of interest in it and there just weren't enough spots for everyone. This year it's a lot more organized and it should benefit the program. I'm looking forward to the tryout and hopefully I can make it.

budkid
09-10-2008, 06:11 PM
I am the former team captain for Napa Valley College Club team. We played at the Stanford Tourney in 2007. We were the only JC in the whole tournament. Were 9th out of the 15 teams there.

kctennis1005
09-14-2008, 02:15 PM
does any1 know how good usc's club tennis team is? specifically how good is their best player?

tykrum
09-14-2008, 06:31 PM
does any1 know how good usc's club tennis team is? specifically how good is their best player?

He is a solid player - 5.0. Nothing too special, just really solid all around.

kctennis1005
09-14-2008, 06:41 PM
do u know his name? im a senior and im pretty sure im not good enough for varsity, but maybe i can play doubles on varsity because im 6'5" and huge serve and volleys. i want to see exactly how good the club team is though

teppeiahn1
09-28-2008, 08:39 PM
Club tennis is different from NCAA tennis right?

auzzieizm
09-29-2008, 04:39 AM
I've got club tryouts this weekend, and since my high school team was no-cut, I've never had to try out before. Besides match play, what should I expect?

What you can expect from club tryouts: probably mini sets. The JMU club tennis team would play 4 games. Used to drive me nuts, because my serve was not as reliable back then. Just be as consistent as possible, you don't have the luxury to find a groove/get warmed up. The player who makes the fewest errors is going to come out on top.

As far as club tennis in general: we would practice everyday (it wasn't mandatory), but if you like tennis- IT IS AMAZING! 3-4 hours a day. I loved it. We would compete against other schools as well. There always seemed to be much less interest from club players for the competitions/matches. Alot of players loved to feel like rockstars hitting around, but could not compete to save their life.

Summary: one of the best things I have ever done- join club tennis.

tennis_nerd22
09-29-2008, 04:54 PM

rabidturtle
11-01-2008, 07:55 PM
Hey All,

So in the PNW region, University of Washington hosts Dawg Brawl, the last tournament for the season.

A neighboring college in Oregon is trying to out bid us to host the tournament (they have 11 courts and UW has 6)

Any ideas on how to convince the tournament director to keep the tournament at UW?

MTChong
11-01-2008, 09:42 PM
How good exactly is the Brown U club team? I might get in there next year for academics, but I'm 4.5 at best.

Sorry, I haven't been perusing the forums as much with classes in session. I'm not exactly sure how good Brown's club team is; all I know is that they won the New England championship last year and qualified for the national tournament. Harvard placed second to them. We just had a match against Harvard, and I can echo the sentiments of one of the other posters.

They have a solid list of guys, but their girls seemed to be lacking. We ended up losing 6-8, but we were missing our top singles guy and top two girls. That said though, the guys for Harvard were definitely solid hitters, I'd say probably around 4.0 or 4.5. I would expect Brown to be of similar caliber.

As for the poster that asked about Yale, they're pretty good, too. We played at Yale last spring (we were supposed to play last weekend, but unfortunately, that was rained out), and Dartmouth's A team (in WTT format) ended up taking the tournament against Yale's A team in the final, but it was definitely a close match.

randomname
11-07-2008, 02:44 PM
well, one option you have is to try to rent out a few extra courts and just have two sites for the tournament. you can also be sure to bring up the fact that seattle is absolutly gorgeous city and is alot of fun for people to visit, making it a great tournament to travel to

Fedace
11-07-2008, 09:08 PM
do you have any Pics ?

tennis_nerd22
11-08-2008, 07:06 AM
Sorry, I haven't been perusing the forums as much with classes in session. I'm not exactly sure how good Brown's club team is; all I know is that they won the New England championship last year and qualified for the national tournament. Harvard placed second to them. We just had a match against Harvard, and I can echo the sentiments of one of the other posters.

They have a solid list of guys, but their girls seemed to be lacking. We ended up losing 6-8, but we were missing our top singles guy and top two girls. That said though, the guys for Harvard were definitely solid hitters, I'd say probably around 4.0 or 4.5. I would expect Brown to be of similar caliber.

As for the poster that asked about Yale, they're pretty good, too. We played at Yale last spring (we were supposed to play last weekend, but unfortunately, that was rained out), and Dartmouth's A team (in WTT format) ended up taking the tournament against Yale's A team in the final, but it was definitely a close match.

thats alright. thanks for the info

rabidturtle
11-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Has anyone sent a team to nationals? I'm planning a trip for my school and would like to know what I'm getting myself into. How much does it cost on average with traveling, lodging, food, etc...

dork2tennisstud
11-30-2008, 08:42 AM
Rabid, my team went to Nationals last year when they were in Cary. Costs can vary quite a bit.

My team won our section last year and received a $1000 grant to help pay for stuff, but we received almost no extra funding from our school.

We rented 2 cars (about $1000 for a week total) and drove down (it was about an 11 hour drive for us last year). We stayed in a pretty cheap hotel (about $150 a night total for 2 rooms with 4 in a room). Then there was the entry fee and food and gas.

It cost us about $200 a person (8 of us) out of pocket, even after the grant, but that's pretty good.

If you can find cheap flights, aren't too picky about hotels, and have either your school or your USTA section help with funding, you should be able to do it fairly reasonably. If you can't find cheap air fare and don't get much outside funding, it adds up quick. Start fundraising soon (run a junior tennis clinic, look for sponsors/donations, sell t-shirts).

We had a blast last year, and the quality of play around the country is very high and is improving each year. Raising money and deciding what players get to go is a pain though (keep in mind not everyone's willing to shell out a few hundred dollars for a tennis trip).

dork2tennisstud
11-30-2008, 08:45 AM
How is the early club tennis season going for everyone? Any big upsets/ sleeper teams for nationals?

My old team (I graduated in May) went to Battle of the Sections in NYC this fall (we went last year too). The depth of play keeps getting better every year. There's a lot of good teams out there.

Fedace
11-30-2008, 08:57 AM
What if one of the Varsity players want to join ? is it within the rules for themto play ? or do they just laugh at club tennis guys ?

rabidturtle
11-30-2008, 09:14 AM
well, one option you have is to try to rent out a few extra courts and just have two sites for the tournament. you can also be sure to bring up the fact that seattle is absolutly gorgeous city and is alot of fun for people to visit, making it a great tournament to travel to

It turns out the tournament director was just sick of the tournament location and wanted to mix things up. We are going to fight tooth and nail to get it back next year.

jbetti
12-03-2008, 03:02 PM
What if one of the Varsity players want to join ? is it within the rules for themto play ? or do they just laugh at club tennis guys ?

In the big national college club tournaments, there's a limit of 1 former varsity player per team. At my old school, we had a couple former varsity players from various levels who were members of our team, but we could only use 1 of them for WTT format matches.

Yeah, sometimes former varsity players, particularly D-1 players, think club tennis is below them... sometimes they're too busy with grad school work to be full time club players, too. That's not always the case though. Baylor brought a girl to club nationals last year (grad student) who had played varsity at Baylor and was top 30 in NCAA Division 1 the year before.

The top college club teams have some kids who can really play, and the talent pool is getting deeper every year. You end up with a lot of really good tennis players (some 1 and 2 star prospects and occasionally higher) who go to a school without a varsity team for academic reasons or who don't want the time restraints of varsity tennis and end up on club teams. Toss in a couple grad students who played varsity tennis and some high school local all-stars, and you get a pretty competitive environment.

Fedace
12-03-2008, 03:13 PM
^^ I really hope that doesn't make the regular guys and girls that just want to have fun,, feel left out...

randomname
12-21-2008, 08:55 PM
^^ I really hope that doesn't make the regular guys and girls that just want to have fun,, feel left out...

It doesnt, while the top level of club tennis is incredibly strong, there arnt a whole lot of teams at that level (A&M, Texas, Berkely, Wisconsin). The vast majority of club teams are made up of 4.0 players and there are plenty with 3.0s and 3.5s on their roster. The funny thing about the WTT format is that you can have an incredible team with just two superstar players (a guy and a girl) so even if you dont have a deep club you can still put out a team that can hang with the top clubs.