PDA

View Full Version : Nike Air Zoom Trainer

m1stuhxsp4rk5
06-27-2008, 10:01 PM
anyone use these shoes before? hows the durability, comfort, ventilation, stability, and traction? i think they look pretty cool. but would like to hear some feedback

ricomon
06-27-2008, 11:36 PM
I used to wear them when they first came out back in I think '84. Great lateral support and fairly comfortable. I just ordered a pair.

m1stuhxsp4rk5
06-28-2008, 12:32 AM
let me know how the durability is when you get them. i like them they have the retro look to it u can wear it with jeans and make it look cool

Sinner
06-28-2008, 03:24 AM
with XDR, durability should be good...

ricomon - I think you were referring to the Air Trainer 1, which was released in '84... these Air Zoom Trainers, which are like an upgraded Air Trainer 1, were released in '04... I'm a fan of both of em...

Airwolf has a pair, so he'd be the one to ask...

vsbabolat
06-28-2008, 03:36 AM
The Air Trainer 1 was not released to the consumer until 1987. John McEnroe started wearing them in the fall of 1986 after the 1986 U.S. Open.
http://www.sneakerfreaker.com/feature/nike-cross-trainers/2/
http://www.sneakerfreaker.com/feature/nike-cross-trainers/3/
http://www.sneakerfreaker.com/feature/nike-cross-trainers/4/

Sinner
06-28-2008, 03:42 AM
oh thats right... my bad...

Airwolf
06-28-2008, 04:02 AM
So far so good on the durability. The toe is built up with the XDR rubber, but the midsole has a more softer material. I've only played a few hours on them and they have shown no signs of wear yet. Let me add that these are some of the most comfortable tennis shoes I have ever worn. Great cushioning, wide toe box, and low to the ground ride. Plus they look cool!

Sinner
06-28-2008, 04:47 AM
Good to know...

I dunno if you can tell, but do you know if its a full-length Zoom Air unit or just the heel? The description says 'full-length' I think, but I just wanted to make sure...

and I'm asking cuz the 04 zoom trainers were around $110 (I think)... so I'm wondering where Nike shaved down the price to $80...

Airwolf
06-28-2008, 05:43 AM
I'm not sure if it's full length or not. I would imagine that they probably pull the description of the shoe directly from the Nike catalog. Either way, $80 is a great price for this shoe!

m1stuhxsp4rk5
06-28-2008, 11:55 AM
I'm not sure if it's full length or not. I would imagine that they probably pull the description of the shoe directly from the Nike catalog. Either way, $80 is a great price for this shoe!

80 bucks is pretty good but to bad no warranty. most of the nike shoes ive worn wore out in 1.5 months thats why i get the warranty shoes

FreshStew
06-28-2008, 12:59 PM
and I'm asking cuz the 04 zoom trainers were around $110 (I think)... so I'm wondering where Nike shaved down the price to $80...

Yeah Nike does that:lol:

Did anyone play in the first Zoom Trainer 1s? How did they hold up?

FreshStew
06-28-2008, 01:01 PM
So far so good on the durability. The toe is built up with the XDR rubber, but the midsole has a more softer material. I've only played a few hours on them and they have shown no signs of wear yet. Let me add that these are some of the most comfortable tennis shoes I have ever worn. Great cushioning, wide toe box, and low to the ground ride. Plus they look cool!

What would you compare them to?

Airwolf
06-28-2008, 01:17 PM
They feel like the BFII with more support around the ankle. I'm saying this because the toe box is nice and wide and they are low to the court.

As far as durability goes, I'm not expecting much from these. I already made up my mind that the second they start to show wear I'm retiring them for casual wear only.

federer envies me
06-28-2008, 01:58 PM
anyone use these shoes before? hows the durability, comfort, ventilation, stability, and traction? i think they look pretty cool. but would like to hear some feedback

yeah they look pretty sick

FreshStew
06-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Is John on the tongue?
http://www.nike.com/index.jhtml?l=nikestore#l=nikestore,grid,_pdp,cid-1/gid-176580/pid-176578,_grid,s-zoom%20trainer&re=US&co=US&la=EN

Airwolf
06-28-2008, 02:56 PM
Johnny Mac is not on the tongue. They replaced it with a black on white nike tag. Just like the one on the new Ballistec shoe pictured in another thread.

Kcraig
06-28-2008, 03:00 PM
Yeah Nike does that:lol:

Did anyone play in the first Zoom Trainer 1s? How did they hold up?

I had a pair or two in my junior days--lasted me about a month and the toe was gone--very comfy, but no durability at all.:-? I'm sure Nike has improved that or atleast I would hope so--

morten
06-28-2008, 03:22 PM
How is the size compared to Vapor v?

fortunecookiesjc
06-28-2008, 04:00 PM
I ordered mine and i cant wait till they come in

ricomon
06-28-2008, 09:59 PM
The Air Trainer 1 was not released to the consumer until 1987. John McEnroe started wearing them in the fall of 1986 after the 1986 U.S. Open.
http://www.sneakerfreaker.com/feature/nike-cross-trainers/2/
http://www.sneakerfreaker.com/feature/nike-cross-trainers/3/
http://www.sneakerfreaker.com/feature/nike-cross-trainers/4/

I was thinking about that today. I remember the commercials with Howie Long and other athletes wearing the shoe to do cross training. So it was around '86-'87.

Josherer
06-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Doesn't look like it'll be too good for tennis :S

m1stuhxsp4rk5
06-29-2008, 02:20 AM
my friend keeps calling them basketball shoes

Sinner
06-29-2008, 02:39 AM
^ Well technically as a cross-trainer, you can still use em for basketball...

iTennis
06-30-2008, 07:46 AM
Wow...bringing back my old memory...wore those air trainer 1 in my high school days (along with Becker puma high-cut shoes on clay), and my teacher had problems because they did not look like tennis shoes and not much white (was not playing at Wimbledon but.) I might buy one for an old-time sake....hope to see more reviews with practicality. They seem light weight, soft upper/ comfy, wider footbed and mid/ low arch support to my liking too.

mdork
06-30-2008, 08:29 AM
i have them and love the shoes but wouldnt use em for tennis. i had the old air trainer 1 too....

iTennis
06-30-2008, 04:07 PM
i have them and love the shoes but wouldnt use em for tennis. i had the old air trainer 1 too....

Why not for playing tennis? Please elaborate.

mdork
06-30-2008, 06:15 PM
for me they are way too flat, dont have enough forefoot cushioning and my guess is the toe would be toast after a few days (i drag my toe). if you don't need cushioning or arch support they *might* be ok. lateral support isnt that great either though.

iTennis
06-30-2008, 06:51 PM
for me they are way too flat, dont have enough forefoot cushioning and my guess is the toe would be toast after a few days (i drag my toe). if you don't need cushioning or arch support they *might* be ok. lateral support isnt that great either though.

Thanks for more words on them. I got flat feet so low arch is just what I need, but cushioning may be an issue if not enough. I thought that air cushion is full-length covering footbed.

mdork
06-30-2008, 07:18 PM
i believe it is full length zoom air but they are not really that soft. dont get me wrong im a huge fan of these shoes but more for just walking around. for me they wouldnt be enough cushioning but my feet are picky...yours might be ok. they are extremely comfortable...no question...but the asics to me are worlds better as a tennis shoe.

KFwinds
06-30-2008, 08:43 PM
I've been waiting to hear from some of you guys about these. They look SWEET - and I can't believe they are as lightweight as listed! I'm not too hard on shoes so it doesn't sound like durability would be an issue for me. The only concern I have is the comfort. I suppose I can change out the insole if there is not enough cushioning. No question, I'm ordering a pair.

Sinner
06-30-2008, 10:33 PM
i believe it is full length zoom air but they are not really that soft. dont get me wrong im a huge fan of these shoes but more for just walking around. for me they wouldnt be enough cushioning but my feet are picky...yours might be ok. they are extremely comfortable...no question...but the asics to me are worlds better as a tennis shoe.

I don't have mine yet, but maybe its the thin nature of Zoom Air, which offers 'impact cushioning' to give you the 'ground-feel'... which could be why it does feel as 'soft' as Air Max air bags... hopefully, I'll get to find out in a few days...

maybe the guys with Vapors can compare those with these Zoom Trainers since both use Zoom units...

morten
07-01-2008, 02:10 AM
i think the Trainer have 2 separate zoom units, vapor have one long, more air.

rockbox
07-01-2008, 08:28 AM
the original air trainers were the most comfortable shoes I ever played in. Hopefully these are the same but longer lasting.

GS
07-01-2008, 08:55 AM
Does anyone know if these run true to size, or are they a half size small?

Airwolf
07-01-2008, 10:03 AM
True to size for me. 10.5 in the BFII and Cages, 10.5 for the Trainers.

KFwinds
07-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Just ordered mine a few hrs ago, and I'm very excited to try these. I'll give feedback on anything special (or not) after I've worn them a bit.

FreshStew
07-01-2008, 01:25 PM

GS
07-01-2008, 01:38 PM
I just ordered mine, and hope they fit true to size. At least they've got XDR rubber compound on the soles, which should make them more durable than those recent Air Tech Challenge retros, the ones that TW thankfully didn't carry, since they had crappy soles.

Sinner
07-01-2008, 01:55 PM
^ well the Air Tech Challenge retros weren't meant to be used for tennis... they were a Nike Sport Culture shoe, not a performance shoe...

mdork
07-01-2008, 02:20 PM

seem similar in terms of cushioning to the air ace 08 which i don't use for tennis either but with less lateral support. you'll feel fast in them...but my feet tell me not to try :D

wgns4
07-01-2008, 06:13 PM
any word when the all black version of the trainers will be released??

KFwinds
07-01-2008, 08:55 PM
seem similar in terms of cushioning to the air ace 08 which i don't use for tennis either but with less lateral support. you'll feel fast in them...but my feet tell me not to try :D

The Air Ace 08 is another shoe I've been curious about; how are the fit and cushioning with those?

fortunecookiesjc
07-02-2008, 09:08 PM
these a pretty darn comfortable shoes. Ill prob do a intense review after a week, maybe a short clean one after i test them out tomorrow. So far they are nice form just casual wearing them today out and about.

Sinner
07-03-2008, 01:46 AM
^ I look forward to reading your review... and yes, so far so good for casual wearing... haven't hit the courts yet though...

mdork
07-03-2008, 04:48 AM
The Air Ace 08 is another shoe I've been curious about; how are the fit and cushioning with those?

Fit is good and cushioning is similar. They are one of the best looking shoes Nike has made in a long time. Still not enough cushioning for me to use them for tennis but they feel more like a true tennis shoe....more like an Oscillate. The Trainers are a bit more comfortable for me but neither is as comfy as the ultimate...Air Zoom TR.

BDAZ
07-03-2008, 08:16 AM
i wish the trainers ended up coming out with the pic of mcenroe on the tongue instead of just on the samples. that would've been sweet.