PDA

View Full Version : Why is the Microgel Prestige more popular than the KBlade Tour?

ogruskie
06-29-2008, 12:44 AM
During Wimbledon and the French Open, I've noticed plenty of people carrying those Microgels. I'm sure the majority of them were Prestiges with some Radicals. However, I saw only one KBlade Tour (Djokovic). There were quite a few KBlade 98's, but that doesn't rule out the single KB Tour. I mean, whats the difference? Why are the Prestiges more popular than the Tours? I'd assume they're almost the same thing...

mdjenders
06-29-2008, 12:51 AM
they are all paint jobs, and djokovic does not even use a 93, so what difference does it make? the guys still with head use the prestige pj, and the ones that have switched over to wilson like djoko, mathieu, etc use kblade pj. mathieu also uses the tour pj.

Clecwm
06-29-2008, 05:48 AM
It can get confusing at times but the pros r using pjs all over. So yup, its juz marketing.

Klatu Verata Necktie
06-29-2008, 05:53 AM
Prestige Classic has always been a popular frame on tour. That is why so many players use a PJ of one. Others have switched to the Microgel versions that provide a bit more stiffness and pop.

Players tend to use whatever racquet they became successful using. That means that once they earn a sponsorship, the sponsor usually accommodates the player by painting a frame to the players' specs.

The K Blades are very good frames. I think that we'll see future players using K Blades under their PJs ten years from now.

vsbabolat
06-29-2008, 06:58 AM
Prestige Classic has always been a popular frame on tour. That is why so many players use a PJ of one. Others have switched to the Microgel versions that provide a bit more stiffness and pop.

Players tend to use whatever racquet they became successful using. That means that once they earn a sponsorship, the sponsor usually accommodates the player by painting a frame to the players' specs.

The K Blades are very good frames. I think that we'll see future players using K Blades under their PJs ten years from now.

Actually there are only 6 players ranked in the top 100 on the ATP as of June 16, 2008 that are using the Prestige Classic 600. Gael Monfils, Agustin Calleri, Jose Acasuso, Robin Haase, Marat Safin, and Rainer Schuettler. Most of the rest of the guys you see with MG Prestige MP PJ are using PT57's.

Klatu Verata Necktie
06-29-2008, 07:02 AM
Actually there are only 6 players ranked in the top 100 on the ATP as of June 16, 2008 that are using the Prestige Classic 600. Gael Monfils, Agustin Calleri, Jose Acasuso, Robin Haase, Marat Safin, and Rainer Schuettler. Most of the rest of the guys you see with MG Prestige MP PJ are using PT57's.

Doesn't Murray play with an actual Microgel Prestige Pro?

By the way, 6 players inside the top 100 using the same racquet seems like a lot to me.

vsbabolat
06-29-2008, 07:16 AM
Doesn't Murray play with an actual Microgel Prestige Pro?

By the way, 6 players inside the top 100 using the same racquet seems like a lot to me.

Yes, Murray uses the MG Prestige Pro. There are 12 that are using PT57's inside the top 100. I think HEAD is the most used brand on the ATP.

Don't get me wrong the Prestige Classic 600 is still a popular racquet. I just think the 630cm2 head size has passed it in popularity

tennisfever8181
06-29-2008, 07:23 AM
I think HEAD is the most used brand on the ATP.
Yeah, I remember reading that somewhere.

toyota817
06-29-2008, 08:31 PM
its red and people like the cap grommets hahahha

ogruskie
06-30-2008, 11:38 PM
I already knew that most of the MG Prestiges are paintjobs. But why do players prefer to use the MGP paintjob over the KBT? Couldn't you have a Prestige Classic with a KBlade Tour paintjob?

spkyEngrish
06-30-2008, 11:59 PM
I already knew that most of the MG Prestiges are paintjobs. But why do players prefer to use the MGP paintjob over the KBT? Couldn't you have a Prestige Classic with a KBlade Tour paintjob?

LOL. Because they're professionals that are sponsored by Head, not Wilson. Just because they're using an old racquet doesn't mean they don't get $$ or other incentives from Head for tricking consumers into thinking that they're actually playing with an MG. roflmao...

Pro_Tour_630
07-01-2008, 04:01 AM
Yes, Murray uses the MG Prestige Pro. There are 12 that are using PT57's inside the top 100. I think HEAD is the most used brand on the ATP.

Don't get me wrong the Prestige Classic 600 is still a popular racquet. I just think the 630cm2 head size has passed it in popularity

Oh no:shock: now you have done it. Now we are going to get JW10S to post in this thread as well. And in the Pros Racquet section too oh lordy

errrr......The prestige is the most popular......errrr.... which prestige?.........hmmmmm........ I don't know Head rep told me it was prestige, they all sound and look alike to me anyway........ LOL.........

Satch
07-01-2008, 06:02 AM
it's a wilson and head's decision anyway, if wilson decide to promote kblade more, tomorrow Roger himself will play with one (paint job of course) and all other wilson players...

head promoted the new microgel more... it's their main model now.

headinator
07-01-2008, 07:22 AM
During Wimbledon and the French Open, I've noticed plenty of people carrying those Microgels. I'm sure the majority of them were Prestiges with some Radicals. However, I saw only one KBlade Tour (Djokovic). There were quite a few KBlade 98's, but that doesn't rule out the single KB Tour. I mean, whats the difference? Why are the Prestiges more popular than the Tours? I'd assume they're almost the same thing...

Play both sticks and you will get the answer. The HEAD Microgel sticks are much better and more stable then the KBT.

BTW: donīt look what tour players use - demo both sticks and make your decision.

War, Safin!
07-01-2008, 08:49 AM
Actually there are only 6 players ranked in the top 100 on the ATP as of June 16, 2008 that are using the Prestige Classic 600. Gael Monfils, Agustin Calleri, Jose Acasuso, Robin Haase, Marat Safin, and Rainer Schuettler. Most of the rest of the guys you see with MG Prestige MP PJ are using PT57's.So are we saying that no matter how many different 'Prestige' models that get released by Head over the years, the top players will always go back to using the Prestige Classic 600?

Astonishing - all those different models released over the last 10 years and yet no-one but the general public uses them.
Head must be well pleased.

AlpineCadet
07-01-2008, 12:16 PM
So are we saying that no matter how many different 'Prestige' models that get released by Head over the years, the top players will always go back to using the Prestige Classic 600?

Astonishing - all those different models released over the last 10 years and yet no-one but the general public uses them.
Head must be well pleased.

If you were a pro who played with the same frames for most of your career, would you switch every time a new frame comes out?

vsbabolat
07-01-2008, 12:20 PM
If you were a pro who played with the same frames for most of your career, would you switch every time a new frame comes out?

Robin Haase is only 21 years old and using the Prestige Classic 600.

chicubs
07-01-2008, 07:05 PM
For what its worth, at the top-level junior tournaments in the *******, the majority of players use a microgel prestige or the kblade...More are using the prestige and I really doubt any of the kids are using paintjobs haha.

LPShanet
07-01-2008, 09:38 PM

As vsbabolat pointed out, Head is (and has been) the most used racquet on the tour. This has more to do with the structure of their sponsorship and pro room programs than any other factor. They offer the middle ranked pros the ability to customize frames to a greater extent than Wilson does (since Wilson is a bit stingier about offering pro room services to the tour's rank and file). They also utilize frames built in their Austrian factory for this program, which many players prefer as that facility has an excellent reputation among elite players for consistency, manufacturing quality and customization. Most of Head's tour players aren't paid for using the frames, but a large number do get the use of the pro room, which makes it worthwhile for them. This has helped Head get large numbers of endorsers without having to spend big bucks (except for their few "marquee" players).

While the pro room situation has the most to do with Head's percentage dominance, there are a number of other reasons for this as well (including but not limited to the fact that they have a strong presence and tradition in Europe and have made a point of getting juniors on their sticks early on).

Ultimately, it doesn't have to do with Microgel racquets being better or worse than [K]Blades (or any other k factor model), as most of the racquets in question are customized and Head does the best job of making this appeal to the players.

The

consistency wins
07-01-2008, 10:42 PM

Performance?????

War, Safin!
07-02-2008, 12:42 AM
Yeah - if I was happy with the 'improvement' made over the original frame.

Roger Federer:
1 - Prostaff Original 6.0 85
2 - Prostaff Tour90
3 - nCode NSix-One Tour90
4 - K-Factor KSix-One Tour90

But of course, if one was so happy with the first racquet in that list, produced 20 years ago and which one had used for many years also, then one would have a paintjob for each subsequent model produced.

Wouldn't one? :roll:

AlpineCadet
07-02-2008, 08:33 AM

Roger Federer:
2 - Prostaff Tour90

But of course, if one was so happy with the first racquet in that list, produced 20 years ago and which one had used for many years also, then one would have a paintjob for each subsequent model produced.

Wouldn't one?
You asked a silly question, and I help out by answering it for you, and now you're giving me your "thumbs down" icon? Wait, are you talking about Safin, or are you trying to generalize about the PC600 users? What's this about Roger Federer? He doesn't even use the PC600. You've totally lost me with your attempt at sarcasm. What's this thread about? :oops:

2nd_Serve
07-02-2008, 01:28 PM
As vsbabolat pointed out, Head is (and has been) the most used racquet on the tour. This has more to do with the structure of their sponsorship and pro room programs than any other factor. They offer the middle ranked pros the ability to customize frames to a greater extent than Wilson does (since Wilson is a bit stingier about offering pro room services to the tour's rank and file). They also utilize frames built in their Austrian factory for this program, which many players prefer as that facility has an excellent reputation among elite players for consistency, manufacturing quality and customization. Most of Head's tour players aren't paid for using the frames, but a large number do get the use of the pro room, which makes it worthwhile for them. This has helped Head get large numbers of endorsers without having to spend big bucks (except for their few "marquee" players).

While the pro room situation has the most to do with Head's percentage dominance, there are a number of other reasons for this as well (including but not limited to the fact that they have a strong presence and tradition in Europe and have made a point of getting juniors on their sticks early on).

Ultimately, it doesn't have to do with Microgel racquets being better or worse than [K]Blades (or any other k factor model), as most of the racquets in question are customized and Head does the best job of making this appeal to the players.

The

Head does the every little detail of customizing for the pros. WIlson only does the weight, balance, and that kind of stuff. (I read that somewhere here).

christo
07-02-2008, 10:28 PM

Roger Federer:
2 - Prostaff Tour90

Wouldn't one? :roll:

i believe Fed has only used the original 85 and then they created his custom version of the Tour 90 which he has played with ever since

War, Safin!
07-05-2008, 02:31 AM
i believe Fed has only used the original 85 and then they created his custom version of the Tour 90 which he has played with ever sinceYeah - I sometimes wish it were 2001 again and pretty much 90% of threads on this section would be utterly irrelevant. :)

eric892
07-05-2008, 03:30 AM
How about Prince racquet? How to pj an o3 racquet? You can't fake ppl b/c they have holes in the frame itself. That means that Sharapova, Davydenko, Jankovic all are using the original stick not the pj?

tennis_hand
07-05-2008, 10:18 PM

why must the KBlade be more popular? because it is a wilson used by Djokovic?
or because you assume it's better.