PDA

View Full Version : Petrova Eleven?

Ronaldo
07-01-2008, 06:00 AM
When did Nadia Petrova laydown $9 and start wearing Venus' Eleven dress? http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/81786892.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1934B869679A269F9CC56E1298E7DCD3FE2 E30A760B0D811297

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
07-01-2008, 06:04 AM
Q. Just quickly, how did you end up wearing Venus' clothes?

NADIA PETROVA: Well, my contract with Airness unfortunately stopped earlier because for them it was very difficult for them to catch up with all these new lines and getting clothes in time for me because it was something new for them, and they had to prepare everything specially for me. They were just not on time, and they said, you know, it's just too tough for us and we're not prepared for that, so we would like to get out of the contract earlier.

You know, I just didn't want to wear any other brands. Why would I make such a favor to anyone else? And then I thought the V and coming up with a new brand and many players tried and many players succeed, and I thought, you know I offered to her, while I don't have anything, I'd be more than happy to play in your clothes if you'd like me, and she was very excited to have me on the team.

Q. And you like the clothes?

NADIA PETROVA: I really like the clothes. I think it's great. I mean, it's different. That's what I want; I want to wear something different.

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interv...4672657019.html (http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interviews/2008-06-28/200806281214672657019.html)

Not long ago...

Ronaldo
07-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Not long ago...

Thanks for the effort. Just seemed unusual.

federer envies me
07-01-2008, 03:40 PM
thats so weird.... its like another pro wearing an RF hat

Ronaldo
07-01-2008, 05:49 PM

Sho nuff...............I am feeling you

classic tennis
07-02-2008, 02:44 AM
Good on her I hope the brand does well !

Klatu Verata Necktie
07-02-2008, 03:48 AM
Who wouldn't want Nadia Petrova modeling their clothing?

Buchhalter
07-02-2008, 05:16 AM
Reminds me of the time Zena Garison wore Martina Navratilova's MN line. Later she got a Reebok deal.

Dave M
07-02-2008, 12:24 PM

Its not quite the same, If what i read is correct Venus designs the clothes for the store and "Eleven" is the brand name.It's no different to Roddick or Gasquet (? on spelling) wearing lacoste brand.(I think Lacoste designed the original stuff-ok not exactly the same but........) I'm assuming Fed doesn't design the Nike range.(Though it wouldn't take much imagination would it?!)

soggyramen
07-02-2008, 02:45 PM
her brand may go under though. on tennis.com there's a little thing on there about her distributor, steve and barry will be closing 100 stores and may file for bankruptcy

Ronaldo
07-02-2008, 03:36 PM
her brand may go under though. on tennis.com there's a little thing on there about her distributor, steve and barry will be closing 100 stores and may file for bankruptcy

http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2008/06/21/steve-and-barrys-on-the-brink-of-bankruptcy/
Wow, and SteveandBarrys just signed Laird Hamilton.

kungfusmkim
07-07-2008, 09:04 AM
But Mary Carillo or one of the other female commentator was harsh! During the Petrova vs Dementieva match, Mary Carillo said, "Petrova the only other woman in the world who wears Eleven...."

Gemini
07-07-2008, 09:21 AM
It's not THAT unusual. The Jumpman logo is Nike's Michae Jordan-line of products but even while Jordan was active there were a number of other players wearing his stuff.

I think that's pretty cool that Nadia and Venus are friendly enough that V. would allow her to wear the brand.

Mick
07-07-2008, 09:39 AM
the logo is nice.

kungfusmkim
07-08-2008, 08:23 AM
i actually like Petrova wearing Eleven just not Mary carillo judging Venus's company

Dave M
07-08-2008, 12:40 PM

I obviously havent worn any of the eleven stuff but was surprised by the quality of the golf (Watson?) and some of the denim wear on sale there.For the money it was a bargain.Be a shame if they aren't doing well, should have mens tennis stuff.

lacoster
07-09-2008, 08:43 PM
I obviously havent worn any of the eleven stuff but was surprised by the quality of the golf (Watson?) and some of the denim wear on sale there.For the money it was a bargain.Be a shame if they aren't doing well, should have mens tennis stuff.

They SHOULDN'T have a mens tennis line in order to stay alive. One of the main reason's why they are filing for bankruptcy is because they don't know what their core competency is and their branding strategies are all over the place. Tennis-Warehouse's core competency is the tennis merchandise. Imagine if TW randomly started selling bait and tackle...? Yes, I know this is extreme...

You don't know if Steve & Barry's is trying to appeal more to:

1. the emo surfer/skater (Laird Hamilton's brand - WonderWall)
2. the female tennis player (Venus's brand - EleVen)
3. the teenage girl (Amanda Bynes' brand - Dear)
4. the sex-craving woman (Sarah Jessica Parker's brand - Bitten)
5. the golfer (Bubba Watson's brand - BubbaGolf)
6. the basketball player #1 (Stephon Marbury's brand - Starbury)
7. the basketball player #2 (Ben Wallace's brand - BigBen)

Any good consultant would have issues with all those brands, all with their own distinct logo and marketing, all in one roof. It's like having a store with Banana Republic, Gap, and Old Navy all in one roof. They are all the same company, but of course, each brand targets a different person.

Ronaldo
07-11-2008, 09:11 AM
They SHOULDN'T have a mens tennis line in order to stay alive. One of the main reason's why they are filing for bankruptcy is because they don't know what their core competency is and their branding strategies are all over the place. Tennis-Warehouse's core competency is the tennis merchandise. Imagine if TW randomly started selling bait and tackle...? Yes, I know this is extreme...

You don't know if Steve & Barry's is trying to appeal more to:

1. the emo surfer/skater (Laird Hamilton's brand - WonderWall)
2. the female tennis player (Venus's brand - EleVen)
3. the teenage girl (Amanda Bynes' brand - Dear)
4. the sex-craving woman (Sarah Jessica Parker's brand - Bitten)
5. the golfer (Bubba Watson's brand - BubbaGolf)
6. the basketball player #1 (Stephon Marbury's brand - Starbury)
7. the basketball player #2 (Ben Wallace's brand - BigBen)

Any good consultant would have issues with all those brands, all with their own distinct logo and marketing, all in one roof. It's like having a store with Banana Republic, Gap, and Old Navy all in one roof. They are all the same company, but of course, each brand targets a different person.

Back in the day, they concentrated on fleecewear and t-shirts, mostly college teams under $10. Still amazed at the variety but advertise already! No one knows where the store is in our town and rarely will I see more than 5-6 shoppers in a store larger than the Gap or Old Navy. Incredible.