PDA

View Full Version : I've always wondered....

YourAverageJoe
07-01-2008, 04:47 PM
Why do people who can hit the ball wiked hard like nadal and djocovic use racquets that are control based? If they used a power racquet like pure drive they could out power they're opponents.

jmsx521
07-01-2008, 04:55 PM
You call Nadal's racket control oriented? I don't think so! From knowledgeable posters here -- his racket is loaded with lead at the 12 o'clock on the head: It must be super powerful! You can't really call Nadal's Aero Pro a control-oriented frame!

YourAverageJoe
07-01-2008, 04:57 PM
on babolat's website its inbetween powerful and controled. Why dosent he custimize a powerful racquet to be even more powerful???

persondudething
07-01-2008, 06:11 PM
cause then they couldnt control their shots

Voltron
07-01-2008, 06:22 PM
Why do people who can hit the ball wiked hard like nadal and djocovic use racquets that are control based? If they used a power racquet like pure drive they could out power they're opponents.
on babolat's website its inbetween powerful and controled. Why dosent he custimize a powerful racquet to be even more powerful??? Look bud, you seriously don't know what you're talking about, so when you come here and ask for help, don't immediately cut us off and say that you already know the answers.

consistency wins
07-01-2008, 06:27 PM
The APD in any version is not a control stick by any measure. A Head Prestige Mid is a control stick...

I have not hit with the Nole stick...so I'll just have to take it for granted that being a Wilson mid--it's pretty control-orientated...

YourAverageJoe
07-01-2008, 06:28 PM
Hahaha did I ever say I knew the answer's???
I asked a question...sorry If I insulted you with my lack of intellegance.

Bogie
07-01-2008, 06:37 PM
I have not hit with the Nole stick...so I'll just have to take it for granted that being a Wilson mid--it's pretty control-orientated...

wilson midPLUS you mean. he's still using his old custom "nblade" if you want to call it that

OrangeOne
07-01-2008, 06:42 PM
The pros have it all wrong. They should play with whatever people here think they should.

Bring on the 130sq in Weed frames for the pros, it'll revolutionise tennis...

Freedom
07-01-2008, 06:50 PM

They already do overpower their opponents (when they need to). They use more control-oriented racquets in attempt to better control their shots- if they used very powerful racquets, their shots would be out much more often.

2nd_Serve
07-01-2008, 07:01 PM
Nadal's stick is not control oriented. And they already have tons of power. It's just they don't use all of their pwoer all the time. Also, they need more control so that they could keep their balls in. If a power ball came at them, and they were using a power racket, it would obviously be out. They want to have as much control as possible, but also power. (But it HAS to be controllable power).

mtommer
07-01-2008, 07:04 PM
From someone who uses a M-Fil 200 with a 65/65 Lux Power Rough/Syn Gut hybrid pattern....

I can already overpower everyone I play (so far). I still hit serves in the 130's. So why not switch as you (the OP) suggest? Simple. Given the perfect ball I can smash it for a winner almost every time without it going out - given the perfect ball. Would you care to guess how many balls I get hit back to me that are the "perfect" ball for me? Not many. Since I do hit rather hard that extra control I gain from my 200 keeps balls in that I might otherwise not because I don't always have time to perfectly in position. It's also because no matter how hard you hit the ball, if the opponent is where the ball is going to be, it's more than likely it's going to come back. As such, tennis is about placement and setting yourself up for that "perfect" shot so that you CAN win the point. Put your question a different way. Ask: "Why doesn't Federer always hit a winner off of a return of serve. I've seen him doing it before. He should be able to do it every time." Things just don't work that way.

Klatu Verata Necktie
07-01-2008, 07:20 PM
The way it works is that most companies have a wide range of frames to choose from. "Players' frames" tend to have the least amount of power and offer the most control. They are the heaviest frames available. "Tweeners" are next, offering more power than control frames, but less control. "Game Improvement" frames are the most powerful frames in any range. They are built to satisfy beginners and older folks who can't supply their own power. They are low weight frames that offer great power and little control.

No player on tour has, to the best of my knowledge, ever used a "game improvement" frame (although it would be fun to see some try).

When Babolat says that Nadal's frame is "in between" power and control, it's placing the frame into the "Tweener" category. The Pure Drive is another frame that is usually classified as a "Tweener" frame. Since tweeners are lighter than players' frames, they are usually leaded up significantly by professionals.

Klatu Verata Necktie
07-01-2008, 07:23 PM
I still hit serves in the 130's.

Are you a professional or Division 1 college player? If so, I'd love to see some video of that 130+ mph serve.

mtommer
07-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Are you a professional or Division 1 college player? If so, I'd love to see some video of that 130+ mph serve.

No. I've never played competitive tennis. When I was at Stowe once I asked Tim (I think that was his name) if I could serve a few (they had the radar guns out at the time). I'd always wanted to know and he was gracious enough to indulge me. I have no idea what my average would be and I was feeling like it was one of my better days so who knows if I could sustain that level.

miniRafa386
07-01-2008, 07:55 PM
no pro really plays with what is on the market, nadals racquet is leaded up and im 99.9% sure its not NEARLY as powerful as the market APD

consistency wins
07-01-2008, 08:10 PM
wilson midPLUS you mean. he's still using his old custom "nblade" if you want to call it that

What is the head size of this "nblade"....? And the nblade (or his custom version) is not a power stick....my point remains the same...

consistency wins
07-01-2008, 08:12 PM

Two months ago, I played a 4.5 that is not D1 nor a pro and his flat serve is in the 130's and his kicker is in the 120's...one does not have to be a pro or college level player to posses a huge serve...

We put a gun to back up his bragging--and he was actually hitting at those speeds...

Klatu Verata Necktie
07-01-2008, 08:43 PM
I play in 5.0 leagues and haven't had to play anyone with a 130+ mph serve. I guess I've been lucky.

consistency wins
07-01-2008, 09:19 PM
I play in 5.0 leagues and haven't had to play anyone with a 130+ mph serve. I guess I've been lucky.

Well, my buddy and I traveled to play him so he and his partner could qualify for state. Amazingly, after he and his partner stomped us, we found out a month later in the computer that they had us down for a win in one of the matches. So, there are truly sandbaggers out there....

He's no 4.5.....

travlerajm
07-01-2008, 11:22 PM
no pro really plays with what is on the market, nadals racquet is leaded up and im 99.9% sure its not NEARLY as powerful as the market APD

It's a good thing you didn't say 100% sure. Nadal's lead adds control AND power.