PDA

View Full Version : Fascinating article on stringing observations at Wimbledon

Moses Man
07-01-2008, 08:31 PM
It's a couple years old, but offers a lot of (potentially controversial) tidbits...

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2006/09/stringing_for_the_modern_game.html

Here's an excerpt (emphasis mine):

"The Pros' Racquets

The racquets used by the pros at Wimbledon were nearly the same as what can be purchased in tennis shops. A few players used frames painted to look like later models from their contracted brand, and one woman pro who recently signed with one racquet manufacturer still used her old racquet painted black with the new company's logo on the strings.

A few players had custom-shaped grips. One very tall player used a size 9 (5 1/8 ) grip size. Another pro who uses an extreme Western grip had the two widest sides of his grip made smaller, allowing him to hold his racquet easier using a "frying pan" grip.

Of the players having their racquets strung by the Bow Brand stringing service, about 85 percent of the frames were either midsize or midplus, while 15 percent were oversize."

Hidious
07-01-2008, 08:50 PM
15% oversize, really?

roundiesee
07-01-2008, 10:45 PM
Nice article, thanks for posting. :-)

HoVa
07-01-2008, 11:35 PM
The players at Wimbledon supplied their own string to the stringing services located at and near the All England Lawn Tennis Club. Most of the stringing labor fees are higher than normally charged in the U.S., but the players rarely complained because they knew that Bow Brand and Wilson/Luxilon had assembled some of the best stringers in the world. The stringing labor fees were:

* Bow Brand Stringing Service (on-site exclusive stringer): $30 (average)
* Wilson/Luxilon Stringing Service (near All England Lawn Tennis Club): $29
* Local Tennis Pro Shop (five-minute walk to All England Lawn Tennis Club): $17
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

lol.. i wonder if any pros that lose early on, not pay and just ditch.

bigmatt
07-02-2008, 12:21 PM
The tournaments I've strung at had one of two payment methods:
1. Players pay when dropping off racquets; or
2. Fees are deducted from their checks.
I've never had to chase a player down for money.

Moses Man
07-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Huh. I thought that more people would have taken umbrage to the assertion that most pros aren't using painjobs...

Oh well.

chrisplchs
07-03-2008, 06:49 PM
The players at Wimbledon supplied their own string to the stringing services located at and near the All England Lawn Tennis Club. Most of the stringing labor fees are higher than normally charged in the U.S., but the players rarely complained because they knew that Bow Brand and Wilson/Luxilon had assembled some of the best stringers in the world. The stringing labor fees were:

* Bow Brand Stringing Service (on-site exclusive stringer): $30 (average)
* Wilson/Luxilon Stringing Service (near All England Lawn Tennis Club): $29
* Local Tennis Pro Shop (five-minute walk to All England Lawn Tennis Club): $17
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

lol.. i wonder if any pros that lose early on, not pay and just ditch.

I've never had that happen to me as one takes precaution. You either take it out of their tournament checks, charge a CC or accept cash. Super easy, except carrying over 1k in cash while walking back to the hotel in 3AM isn't exactly fun

____
07-03-2008, 08:21 PM
One very tall player used a size 9 (5 1/8 ) grip size = Karlovic

BluDiamond
07-04-2008, 12:11 AM
"Babolat's poly-based strings (Pro Hurricane and Tour Duralast) were also used by a number of players"

I think we know who was using the Duralast!!! ... possibly Nadal?

Josherer
07-04-2008, 09:23 PM
"Babolat's poly-based strings (Pro Hurricane and Tour Duralast) were also used by a number of players"

I think we know who was using the Duralast!!! ... possibly Nadal?

Yup.

10 chrac.