PDA

View Full Version : My Take on Nike Air Zoom Trainer

fortunecookiesjc
07-03-2008, 08:49 AM
Alright, I came prepared to the courts and played about 4 hours. Brought multiple pairs of socks just in case... you know fitting was off and such.

Comfort. These shoes were generally comfortable but.... I had to wear longer socks than i normally did. When used shorted heel socks the back of the shoes would completely eat my heel. So After 20 minutes i switched to longer socks. For casual wear I didnt notice it as much but running around in them kinda hurt. I found the shoes pretty plush. It was a nice fit, and I generally have narrow kinda feet. My friend who tried them on later who has a wider feet found them nice also. You can easily adjust it imo. Generally speaking there was not any toe rubbing or anything like that and I found that running around with them and being on my toes were very comfortable. The cushioning that it comes with is generally comfortable too. Not too plushy but still solid.

Stability
Its still in fantastic condition after doing a 2hr jog with them and playing tennis for 4hrs. I requires a bit of break it. When I first put them on they were ok but there maybe once or twice where I stumbled because of the stiffness of the shoes but thats nothing one more day of running around with them wont do. But they have really good traction, I dont recall any points where i found myself sliding too much.

Soles Durability- still in great shape, absolutely no signs of wear on them after 6 hours so far but we will see in a week.

Toe durability- Its a really bad habit of mine to drag my toe sometimes while serving and the toe has really good durability imo. I found that even dragging on court didnt effect the shoes as much and i could barely tell i dragged based ont he condition of the toe area.

weight- Nice weight to it. Not too light and or bulky / heavy. Good 13oz weight to it.

Overall I really liek the shoes because i think the designs are awesome. Its a really nice pair of shoes. I like how traction was top notch and was pretty comfortable. What i didnt like about it was the heels. Sometimes Id like to wear low cut socks and that would be an awful mistake to wear those kind of socks using these shoes.

KFwinds
07-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the review; I just got mine this morning (I've got 'em on my feet right now!) and these are sweet shoes! The fit is excellent, and they are comfy. A little stiff, but I am confident that they will break in nicely as most Nikes do. Problem is, they are so nice I really don't want to wear these to play in! I can't afford another pair at the moment, and I'm worried that by the time I wear these out they will no longer be available (I'm not hard on my shoes and I also rotate between other pairs). I may just keep these as occasional "kicks" and try to keep them nice.

Oh yeah, the post above is spot-on; I wouldn't try to wear short, no-show socks with these as they do have a slightly higher cut. Not quite mid-cut, but higher than low-cut shoes. I did try them on with a pair of quarter-socks and they seemed ok, but as I mentioned, I haven't tried to play in them.

Sinner
07-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Thanks for your insight... I too felt the heel/Achilles area was kinda stiff... dug a bit into my Achilles tendon too... but its something breaking-in the shoe should help alleviate...

one thing I did notice on mine was the rubber around the toe area on the outsole... it seems that that part sticks out a little bit on the bottom (around the white area) almost like it was a seperate bit glued onto the shoe... I hope that makes sense... anyway, it'll be interesting to see how that bit holds up after a month or two...

fortunecookiesjc
07-03-2008, 11:21 AM
yeah ill prob do an update next week how they hold up. Im going back again to play tonight haha

KFwinds
07-03-2008, 11:24 AM
yeah ill prob do an update next week how they hold up. Im going back again to play tonight haha

Darn it! You're going to make me break down and play in these, aren't you? :)

fortunecookiesjc
07-03-2008, 11:25 AM
Id break them in first hehe. Really does require a day or two to really break them in

Sinner
07-03-2008, 11:32 AM
so there aren't any drag marks around the grey area around the toe?

I miss mid-cut tennis shoes...

ronin
07-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Before I purchase a pair,

Are any other colors available ? when ?

m1stuhxsp4rk5
07-03-2008, 01:30 PM
making me want to get a pair

GS
07-03-2008, 01:49 PM
The best thing I like about my new Trainers is that they're true to size---I bought 2 pair of Breathe Free IIs online recently in my normal size and they fit way small. Marvelous....
I'm not surprised to see TW sold out most of these Trainers quickly---might be the last of the mid-cut Nikes ever. But the soles on these things look like grass-court shoes---half of the surface are those little nobbies, not the usual herrringbone stuff, perfect for grass-court tennis, but Wimbledon ends on Sunday......

KFwinds
07-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Wow - these did sell fast. I'm glad I jumped in and scored a pair; although it does look like TW plans on getting another shipment. Can't say enough about how sweet these are. To the person who asked about other colors, I have to ask - why? I love the original "Johnny Mac" color scheme! To be honest, I probably would not have purchased them in any other colorway.

fortunecookiesjc
07-03-2008, 08:57 PM
One more thing about the shoes is it could use better ventalation

FreshStew
07-03-2008, 09:51 PM
someone post pics with them on!

FreshStew
07-04-2008, 03:28 PM
anyone?????

LPShanet
07-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Has anyone here tried them who actually had the original version back in the late 80's? I'd love to hear how they differ, or whether they are very similar (in fit, performance, durability, etc.) from someone who knows both shoes well.

VikingSamurai
07-06-2008, 02:14 AM
Yeah, I passed on them way back when because I was sponsored by Puma and was basically given all of the Becker BB stuff.. But my best friend had them and I loved them...

Now that I don't have to worry about that crap now, I have just ordered myself a pair and actually like the new design, and have been looking for them to re-release them from a long time.. I used to love Wilander that wore them, and in particular his 88 US Open win, they looked so cool.. Never cared much for Mac, so don't care if he wore them or not..

I will say, these were a classic shoe, and Nike lost all respect after they started introducing all of the dayglow Agassi Nike crap that they had going into the early 90's..

These bad boys are a real classic shoe, and Nike should have stuck with this theme..

I am waiting for my size to come into stock, and as is the case with different brands, I have decided to go a half size up, so lets see how they go..

LPShanet
07-06-2008, 02:25 PM
Yeah, I passed on them way back when because I was sponsored by Puma and was basically given all of the Becker BB stuff.. But my best friend had them and I loved them...

Now that I don't have to worry about that crap now, I have just ordered myself a pair and actually like the new design, and have been looking for them to re-release them from a long time.. I used to love Wilander that wore them, and in particular his 88 US Open win, they looked so cool.. Never cared much for Mac, so don't care if he wore them or not..

I will say, these were a classic shoe, and Nike lost all respect after they started introducing all of the dayglow Agassi Nike crap that they had going into the early 90's..

These bad boys are a real classic shoe, and Nike should have stuck with this theme..

I am waiting for my size to come into stock, and as is the case with different brands, I have decided to go a half size up, so lets see how they go..

Any idea if the fit is more like the old Air Trainers or more like current Nike shoes? They've changed their last and insole contour a lot since those days. And they no longer offer the insertable arch supports as far as I know.

Coach Carter
07-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Has anyone here tried them who actually had the original version back in the late 80's? I'd love to hear how they differ, or whether they are very similar (in fit, performance, durability, etc.) from someone who knows both shoes well.

they were my favorite shoes back in the mid 80's (around 86 or 87)...I was fired up when I saw these the other day on a website for sell. I gotta get them!!!

Klatu Verata Necktie
07-07-2008, 08:54 AM
I was dissapointed to hear Chris' Vlog say that they wouldn't hold up well for match play and should be considered casual shoes.

JeffG
07-07-2008, 10:07 AM
I was dissapointed to hear Chris' Vlog say that they wouldn't hold up well for match play and should be considered casual shoes.

The same was true of the original Air Trainers in the 80s. They were very comfortable but durability was horrible. That's unfortunately a trend that continued with Nike through all the Agassi stuff.

I haven't bought a pair of Nikes since my two-week-old Agassi model completely fell apart during a sectional qualifier in 1989.

Sinner
07-07-2008, 11:42 AM

yeah, but he said they 'probably' wouldn't hold up because they are so light... still waiting on fortunecookies' review after playing them for a week or so... guess we'll just have to wait and see...

VikingSamurai
07-08-2008, 01:40 AM
Agreed, you normally wouldn't see me in a pair of Nike's, but because I loved these shoes, but never was able to get a pair. The fact that they updated them, I was happy to see them again. And I have ordered a pair.. And I must say that from this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/AusLexJapan/1193145284trainer1jpg.jpg

To this:

Casual or play. I could "not" not get a pair... Sexy indeed...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/AusLexJapan/NMAZTWG.jpg

Sinner
07-08-2008, 02:19 AM
for the hardcore fans, the 2008 Air Trainer 1 retro is still available on certain Internet auction sites... they're not cheap, but at least it'll be an opportunity to get a pair... not for tennis though... definately for casual wearing...

VikingSamurai
07-08-2008, 03:50 AM
Well, I think the 2008 version look's much cooler..

Gee we sucked with taste as teenagers in the 80's..

I can't believe I liked that shoe when I look at the picture above..

The new version looks cool... ;)

Sinner
07-08-2008, 04:22 AM
Chris - actually I was referring to these... the original Air Trainer 1... they were retroed again this year... these and the 2003 reissue you posted were essentially the same shoe... IMHO, I think both are fantastic... I've always like the original Air Trainer 1... these re classics sir! :D having said that, what Tinker Hatfield (the designer) did with the Zoom Trainer was a excellent 'upgrade'...

and as I mentioned before, those interested in these (below), you can still find them up for auction...

http://kicksonfire.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/at1c6.jpg

pNoyr3D
07-08-2008, 05:08 AM
Wow, the old ones look way better than the new ones.
It has the classic look with the big NIKE logo cut off.

But I ain't spending top dollar for it. Very nice, reviews and pics of the actual shoe would be great!

FreshStew
07-08-2008, 10:25 AM
How's the stability?

I rolled my ankle last night in the Oscillates:mad:

fortunecookiesjc
07-08-2008, 08:23 PM
they are still nice, i have no idea how. Thought they be jus casual but these are damn nice to play in too. Its a bit different. Its more low to the ground.

Sinner
07-08-2008, 09:08 PM
how's the shoe holding up durability-wise thus far? whats it been, a week or so? thanks...

Sinner
07-16-2008, 08:38 AM
Sorry for the bump, but fortunecookies any new updates on how you're like or disliking the shoes?

Airwolf
07-16-2008, 10:14 AM
I can report that mine are holding up fine so far.

VikingSamurai
07-17-2008, 03:38 AM
I ordered a pair, and they are much cooler in person... Very happy with these guys.. Probably will only wear them occassionally to play, as I have way too many Asics shoes. But I definately will wear them out and about from time to time..

teckid
07-19-2008, 10:37 AM
I have the original version from around 2004/2005, it was hard to find and slightly different from this release. It had a clear sole that let you see the green shank plate in midsole. The newer version has a solid sole, probably more durable on the court than the clear. The original release was really hard to fine, i never saw them in any retail outlets and only saw them on ****. The afternoon before i was about to break down and pay $150 for them on ****, i found 2 pair at a local shoes store on clearance for $50.

Great shoe, very comfy and supportive, would be excellent to work out in or play tennis, but i don't have the heart to wear them out cause they are too good looking and rare. May be a bit hot for tennis, not much ventilation.

Comparison shots:

http://niketalk.yuku.com/topic/34771

teckid
07-19-2008, 10:43 AM
Another unique detail missing from this new version is a line of morse code around the heel. If you look at the comparison shots above, check out the detailing on the black material on the heel, under the "zoom air" logo. the dots and dashes are morse code for "air trainer one." Nike explained this in a feature. There was a big feature on these on the Nike Lab site explaining the "rebirth" and all the details, also talk about how the Air Zoom Haven was a heavy influence.

BreakPoint
07-19-2008, 11:20 AM
I think I prefer the look of the re-issue of the Nike Agassi Air Tech Challenge shoes.

All the light grey on the Air Zoom Trainers just make them look more like work boots than tennis shoes to me.

127 mph
07-19-2008, 06:02 PM
They are probably my new favorite shoe. Had them back in 1988 and I love them even more now. They are stable, very light, have great support and I have found them to grab the court really well. Cons are they don't breath very well. Another plus is that they look great with my Agassi Denims (pre lycra).

fortunecookiesjc
07-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Its been quite some time now and heres my take

Ive been wearing these everyday and everywhere i go. Its nice for everything pretty much

Still holding on very solid on the court. But after a while, I hate the stubid soles in the shoes. I just dont like them because of my feet. I like something more arched and the soles are flat. I Got new athlete type ones for 10 dollars and they feel even better

I just dont liek putting them on sometimes the back end sinks down haha. But its still awesome

LPShanet
07-19-2008, 08:51 PM
They are probably my new favorite shoe. Had them back in 1988 and I love them even more now. They are stable, very light, have great support and I have found them to grab the court really well. Cons are they don't breath very well. Another plus is that they look great with my Agassi Denims (pre lycra).

What is the fit and last like in the new ones compared to the 1988 originals? Are the foot shape, arch, width, etc. similar or different?

Il Mostro
07-19-2008, 09:04 PM
These look great in the white/blue combination too.

Al Czervik
08-12-2008, 06:33 PM
Huge fan of these. I threw in some Spenco Gel insoles and everything is great. The first few wearings, the high cut dug into my feet a little. Everybody raves about the low feel of Vapors, but something about the shape of Vapor soles feel clunky to me. This is a nice snug low to the ground ride and a much more stable offering IMO than the original Air Trainer high. The jury is still out on durability. I suspect if you play a ton, these are not a great everyday shoe. Still, they have XDR for durability.

fortunecookiesjc
08-12-2008, 10:57 PM
Quick Update
It's been one month now

They've hold up very very very well. A lot better than I expected. I do everything I possibly can in them. Run, Tennis, Casual, blah blah rain or shine I'm wearing these everyday. Everything is still intact and I see no serious wear. I do play at a club every day for 4 hours.

Il Mostro
08-13-2008, 03:08 AM
I've had mine for a couple of weeks now -- went the white/blue ones. Nice looks, although quite different from the original and first re-issue. I think this is more inspired by the original rather than being a true re-issue.

Really comfortable for casual wear and quite nice cushioning. Lots of room in the toe box -- maybe a little too much, which is a first for me. I wear these strictly as casual shoes and don't think I could ever wear them on the court. Maybe for practise, but probably not even that. They ride a too high at the ankle, which bugs me since I feel it on every lateral move. Not snug enough -- again, a first for me. And clunky. This has a cool-quotient for casual wear, but is a minus on the court.

Overall, pretty cool shoe. I'm very happy with them for the way I wear them.