PDA

View Full Version : safin's grip

hummer23
01-22-2005, 11:15 PM
whats that white piece of tape safin sticks onto the top of his grip.. its not there to keep the grip from unwrapping, so wahts it for? i always thought it was just a peice of paleet shoing, but apparently it isnt. whatever could it be?

hummer23
01-22-2005, 11:24 PM
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20050115/i/r2316646481.jpg

PrestigeClassic
01-22-2005, 11:59 PM
Could it be white finishing tape?

That stick looks huge, like a 630 in that picture.

D. Nalbandian
01-23-2005, 12:44 AM
It's just the finishing tape. Maybe he don't want to support Tourna.

fedex27
01-23-2005, 03:49 AM
its to cover upthe sleeve on the prestige classic. the tourna doesnt go high enough so he has to cover it somehow becuase head doesnt want it showing. it proves tha**** a paintjob of a lm prestige

thomas martinez
01-23-2005, 05:22 AM
Nope, it's white athletic tape, and it's simply because it is what he grew up with and what he likes. It's a 600 head size as well. ALU-Rough/VS 130

fedex27
01-23-2005, 05:41 AM
Nope, it's white athletic tape, and it's simply because it is what he grew up with and what he likes. It's a 600 head size as well. ALU-Rough/VS 130
its athletic tape to cover up the sleeve on the prestige classic. he didnt grow up with it. once he had to paint his prestige classic he used it.

tennisboy87
01-23-2005, 11:19 AM
Tom knows what he is talking about, so if he says Safin grew up with it and it is what he is used to, you should believe him.

hummer23
01-23-2005, 12:33 PM
thanks Thomas, btw, have you ever strung for him, or done his grips?

PrestigeClassic
01-23-2005, 12:34 PM
its athletic tape to cover up the sleeve on the prestige classic. he didnt grow up with it. once he had to paint his prestige classic he used it.

Dude, were you just born? Tom knows what he's talking about! He doesn't just think, he knows.

Besides, Head covers up the Prestige Classic end cap on their own...by not putting it on. It's what i.prestige pallets are for. And on those times when Safin is not using pallets, he's using a custom-molded handle. In other words, there's no end cap.

fedex27
01-23-2005, 01:28 PM
Dude, were you just born? Tom knows what he's talking about! He doesn't just think, he knows.

Besides, Head covers up the Prestige Classic end cap on their own...by not putting it on. It's what i.prestige pallets are for. And on those times when Safin is not using pallets, he's using a custom-molded handle. In other words, there's no end cap.
no your both wrong. hes been using it since 2002 to cover the sleeve. look at theses pics http://www.safinator.com/aussie4_05/52041777.jpg
http://theguyfromrussia.com/photogal2/maratpenseamoi.htm

looks like gstring knows what hes talking about. you can see in the old picture he doesnt use the athletic tape. Why? because he doesnt have to hide it. in the second you can see the sleeve.

hummer23
01-23-2005, 02:33 PM
a prestige classic has the same leanth grip pallet as the lm prestige, why would be have to cover the sleeve on one, and not the other. however, i was looking in an old tennis magazine, and they had an article about safin and had a pic of him right after winningt he us open, with his hands up and the pretige classic in his hand, and there was no whit tape on it, just a tounra grip with a red finishing tape section. what does it all mean?

ibemadskillzz
01-23-2005, 03:13 PM
gstring, are you out of your mind? Safin just prefers Athletic Tape which probably works well with his handle. He does not use it to cover up his classic, he could care less about that. Just listen to Tom Mart.

tricky nicky
01-23-2005, 03:50 PM
anyone know why tournagrip is always too short.

has it always been so short

hummer23
01-23-2005, 05:27 PM
yes sir. it has

david aames
01-23-2005, 05:40 PM
What is it? The Tom Martinez choir boys? Tom is wrong on this one, Gstring is right.

Top is a match played racquet -- using white finishing tape to mask the prestige guard. Bottom was used in practice -- didn't care about hiding the guard and did not used finishing tape.

BTW, those are LM Prestige paintjobs.

http://homepage.mac.com/davidaames3/.Pictures/saf.jpg

fedex27
01-23-2005, 05:56 PM
a prestige classic has the same leanth grip pallet as the lm prestige, why would be have to cover the sleeve on one, and not the other. however, i was looking in an old tennis magazine, and they had an article about safin and had a pic of him right after winningt he us open, with his hands up and the pretige classic in his hand, and there was no whit tape on it, just a tounra grip with a red finishing tape section. what does it all mean?
all it means is that he didnt have to cover it then. the new model doenst have that sleeve or whatever that has the head logo above the grip. the tourna grip is too short to reach the top of it so he covers it with a bigger athelitic tape.

PurePrestige
01-23-2005, 06:12 PM
Hey David, I was wondering from a post a long time ago when you got one of his LM paintjobs after Wimbledon. You said it was pretty easy to swing as opposed to being very heavy.

I was just wondering if there was anymore you could tell us about the racquet, maybe how it plays, maybe where he adds lead? Or just around how much lead he adds.

StringBreaker
01-23-2005, 06:28 PM
Nope, it's white athletic tape, and it's simply because it is what he grew up with and what he likes.
Pretty sad the way thomas just makes stuff up and all his groupies eagerly shout down anyone that offers a different opinion or fact.

hummer23
01-23-2005, 06:30 PM
alright guys, i think i understand now. it was very funny just to see him apply the tape to teh top of his frame after a changeover as he walked on court.

also, i second purepresitge's request for safin's racquet specs. those pics are great David, where did you get a hold of his frames? are they smashed or whole? thanks very much guys

david aames
01-23-2005, 06:51 PM
I think what I said back then was that people on this board tend to exagerate how heavy pro racquets really are.

It's 360g, pretty even balance.

I had a stock Prestige a few years ago and had no problem adjusting to the weight and balance. Great stick for when you feel like blasting flat groundies like there is no tomorrow but no big surprise. After all is said and done, it's just a finely tuned Prestige.

Hey David, I was wondering from a post a long time ago when you got one of his LM paintjobs after Wimbledon. You said it was pretty easy to swing as opposed to being very heavy.

I was just wondering if there was anymore you could tell us about the racquet, maybe how it plays, maybe where he adds lead? Or just around how much lead he adds.

david aames
01-23-2005, 07:07 PM
I value Tom's input very much. He is one of the very few around here that knows his stuff.

What I just can't stand are people like PrestigeClassic who will just read stuff up (very often on this very board), make their own conclusions and spread it as gospel.

BTW PC, ever heard again from your friend Art Art about those Haas specs? I guess he was the "fu**ing liar", afterall...

Pretty sad the way thomas just makes stuff up and all his groupies eagerly shout down anyone that offers a different opinion or fact.

david aames
01-23-2005, 07:12 PM
Double Post

fedex27
01-23-2005, 07:27 PM
david, howd you get that racquet?

thomas martinez
01-24-2005, 05:19 AM
Hey String Breaker, do me a favour and drop me some e-mail if you would be so kind.

Thanks
Tom

StringBreaker
01-24-2005, 05:31 AM
Why?

You presented some info:

it's simply because it is what he grew up with and what he likes.
Which gstring felt was incorrect and presented a different view on, which he then backed up with images (and david aames later backed up), and tennisboy and prestige classic proceeded to jump all over gstring with uneccessary comments such as "Dude,were you just born?".

I just think it's sad that people cant discuss topics such as these without all this bull. In this case if you had posted some more info with your statement and images etc and there had been a healthy discussion of theories and possibilities going back and forth then thats cool. But instead we end up with these mindless devoted automaton posts devoid of reason and thought.

thomas martinez
01-24-2005, 08:15 AM
Why? Because as I had sent something to David privately, I owuld like to do the same for you. I did not get hostile with him, but rather information to back up what I had said. ALong with a few other things I would like to pass along to you privately.

StringBreaker
01-24-2005, 10:08 AM
I have no personal interest in the matter at hand, Safin could put blueberry bubblegum on the end of his grip for all I care, so I have no need to hear "private information" from you on the matter.

This is a public forum where people have public discussions. If you have something to say on a matter, then you have to be prepared for it to be public, no point in stating something as fact, but then not be prepared to discuss the basis of these facts publically.

I suggested you made something up, if this is not the case then I apologise, but please do share the information that proves this with us publically (more for the benefit of the OP and gstring). If you cannot provide the information publically for whatever reason, then please bear this in mind the next time you state facts.

My main gripe was not with you, but with the members who quash any attempts to discuss your statements. It happens time and time again on this forum.

thomas martinez
01-24-2005, 12:07 PM
Ok, fair enough, but suffice to say I do work in the industry, and get to deal with many of these players on a regular basis. What I had said, is more or less from his own mouth.

jun
01-24-2005, 02:57 PM
it's just white finishing tape. Or it could be whilte electric tape. You can find this in some hardware store.

hummer23
01-24-2005, 06:17 PM
itsa ctually athleitc tape, the pic on top of this page clearly shows that it isnt finishing/electrical tape, ebcause it seems to have cotton fibres in it. take a look at the pic.