PDA

View Full Version : New Replacement Racquet

champ2087
03-26-2004, 05:56 PM
I am currently a 16 year old tennis player who plays seriously twice a week at least. Ive played with a Prince Bandit since its inception, but know i feel the need for a slighly heavier and more control oriented racquet. does anyone have any suggestions?

It can't be to heavy, due to i switched to a one handed backhand about 4 months ago. I had a ganglian cyst in my left wrist, that came back after surgery.

champ2087
03-26-2004, 06:00 PM
i was thinking bout a TT Warrior, or the Prince More Control DB. Do any of these sound like a good idea?

TexasTennisPro
03-26-2004, 06:13 PM
hey, i'm 15 and i recently bought the wilson triad 6.0 which i personally thing is awesome as far as control, and power isn't too bad either, at least to me. (my friend has to swing real hard, i dno) anyway, its a kinda heavy racquet, but not that bad. i have always played with a one handed backhand so i'm not sure how big of a difference it makes, but i have no trouble with the weight. if you have a powerful serve, however, it may start to tire you out after about 3 matches, does me. hope that helped, i also like my prostaff 7.6!

Ronaldo
03-26-2004, 06:43 PM
Champ, I used both and were fine for a one-handed BH but I also have a ganglion cyst on top of my hand. They both aggravated the cyst, which swelled after using the racquets. IMHO, the POG or Head Pro Tour 280 were the easiest on my hand and are great for one-handed BHs. Hard to find a new racquet that is easy on the joints. Seems they are meant for cyborgs. I use a Babolat Aerotour Pro Limited which is incredible on BHs, but not ready to recommend it yet.

Steve H.
03-27-2004, 07:21 AM
The Warrior MP and DB 800 are both good racquets, they have very similar specs, and either might be a good frame for you. Both are more substantial than the Bandit and will be fine for a one-hand BH. The Warrior is less stiff (good for avoiding injuries), and being an older model, is a LOT cheaper -- $75 from TW -- you can develop your game with it and then switch later if you find something you like better.

champ2087
03-27-2004, 08:04 AM
Thanks guys! i do have a powerful serve, and that keeps me in most matches, as i am having trouble adjusting to the one handed backhand(i.e. i take it back slower, need a longer stroke to add power if i need it, and it's not as consistent yet) and it really affects my service return, as i usually just try to chip it back deep. Well, ill go demo both the Warrior and Control.

Coda
03-27-2004, 10:26 AM
how about the tour 95? when I demoed it I thought it was an excellent frame. Currently playing with a surge...excellent frame as well, I just need to lead tape it a little.

kreative
03-27-2004, 09:21 PM
ttwarrior is a good racquet, but i never felt it was there for "big" serves. great for slice and kick serves thou, but not the huge heat (at least for me). i'm not really a big server thou, so take it w/ a grain of salt.

you may also want to try the diablo mid/midplus, volkl tour 10 mp or new volkl v-engine tour 10

what kind of game do you play? mostly baseline, all court, or s&v? agressive/retreiver? flat, topspin?

champ2087
03-30-2004, 05:28 PM
On my serve, ill serve and volley often on my first serve, and on the add side ill do it on my second serve sometimes. When im returning, ill stay back alot. Also, when i play on clay, i like to stay behind the baseline and just keep getting it back until i have a oppurtunity to attack.