PDA

View Full Version : Yonex RDX 500...1st Impressions!

BHud
03-26-2004, 07:02 PM
I demoed the Yonex RDX 500 MP (98") tonight for about 1-1/2 hours. To provide some background, I'm a 4.5 all-court player age 44 currently playing w/ a POG OS. For the past 18 months, I've been searching for a slightly lighter (but still 11.5 oz +), more maneuverable alternative without loosing that great feel that the POG delivers. I've tried everything, the closest option being the Volkl Tour 10 MP...but I couldn't serve well with it.

My initial reaction is highly favorable. I was able to hit penetrating groundstrokes w/ great topspin and slice off both wings (I have a one-handed backhand). The racquet was flexible, but provided some great "pop" - I had it strung w/ NXT 16 at the lower end of the recommended range. Volleys were solid, and my serve had all sorts of movement (serving felt a little like the Wilson 7.1 Zone, but with more juice).

I'm going to give it another go tomorrow, but overall, I was surprised at how familiar this stick felt (ala a lighter more maneuverable POG!).

We may have a real winner here...I'll update as I continue my evaluation. :D so far!

HeavyBall
03-26-2004, 08:24 PM
Benjamin,

You might want to read the next to last line above.

Rabbit
03-26-2004, 10:32 PM
Yep, I have a feeling that Benjamin is going back on his vow.... :shock:

Jerry Seinfeld
03-27-2004, 01:38 PM
Which string pattern are you demoing? The 18x20 or the 16x18?

Thanks!

ha
03-27-2004, 02:42 PM
volleys?

BHud
03-27-2004, 06:45 PM
I've got the 16x19 string pattern.

Volleys are solid...I worked it out another 1-1/2 today and am very impressed. I'll probably string it mid-tension next time...I've got it at 55 lbs. right now but that may be a bit too lively...still a really fun racquet to play with. My slice approaches off the one-handed backhand are really biting and staying low...this makes for some great opportunities at net.

I'm playing a singles match tomorrow, so I'll post my final thoughts Monday morning.

Overall, if you're looking for a flexible player's frame that is a bit more maneuverable than a POG or the Volkl Your 10 MP (and has the potential for slightly more "pop" depending on how you string it), I'd recommend that you demo this stick. Yonex makes some great frames, and this one is certainly one of their best - if it's what you're looking for. While we all love the stability that a 12.5+ oz. has to offer, there comes a point in your life that it's just not feasible (or even enjoyable) when you have to lug it around deep into a 2nd or 3rd set. The RDX500 seems to offer a great blend of stability and maneuverability.

IMHO :D

JAYDOG THE RDX ATHLETE
03-27-2004, 10:28 PM
I have a two handed backand and i'm a counter puncher / baseliner. I comfortable at the net as well. Anyways, I have the Yonex RDX 500 90 sq. I just played with it for the first time today. This racket was by far better than I expected. I play with nothing but Yonex. I have a Yonex super rd tour 90 and Yonex mp tour 90. It is alot better than the mp tour 90. I have the RDX 90 strung with Iso-Speed at 63 pounds. Ground strokes,especially the forehand, has great power and control. The backhand has great control. I could create good topspin when needed. Volleys feel great. I had some good pop on them. I was suprised on the serve. It had great control and pinpoint accuracy. It was very easy to spin the serves in. I am saying this playing with just a stock racket. I usually juice the racket up with lead tape at the 3 and 9 and put a leather grip on. For just playing with it stock, I got to say that it's a beauty. I didn't expect the feel would be so great. The new Hexagon design has a unique feel. I played a match today with a guy that usually beats me. I gave him a beating today. I was on from all cylinders. I don't know if it was me or the racket.....I say a little of both. But to tell you the truth, I forgot what I was playing with and just concentrated on the match. Unfortunately I cannot tell you more for about maybe a good week or so because I messed up my ankle today....my foot got stuck into the ground on the follow thru on my backhand side. I plan to customize it but still want to keep playing with it unjuiced. Hope this helps for anyone interest in the Yonex RDX 500 90 sq.

tkoets
03-28-2004, 08:11 AM
Hey JayDog, does the RDX 500 Mid have any feedback in the handle? I know even some of the player's racquets have all the feel dampened out of them as opposed to some nice, resonant feel in the handle when you strike the ball. Was this racquet as dampened as the MP1 90 or does it have more feedback in the handle?

Pro_Tour_630
03-28-2004, 08:32 AM
"I have a Yonex super rd tour 90 and Yonex mp tour 90. It is alot better than the mp tour 90"

what about the SRDTour90?

JAYDOG THE RDX ATHLETE
03-28-2004, 08:45 AM
It had pretty good feedback in the handle compared to many rackets they make now, including the mp-tour 1. Like I said before...I didn't even know the mp tour 1 90 existed when I was playing with the RDX 90....and this was the racket that I was playing with for months. The feedback in the handle was good with just the cushion grip it comes with. Good feel thru all shots including volleys. I almost always play with leather grips on my racket so I'm expecting this racket to even have more feel when I put it on. The only racket I don't play with a leather grip is my RD-7. But the RDX does have a good feel to it. They made it different than the previous models. It is not a constant beam like the mp-tour 1 90. So the RDX 90 bends a little at the throat, creating more control on my shots. A little twist in design can go a long way. The feel in the handle was better than I expected though....I'm happy.

Simba
03-28-2004, 09:28 AM
Jaydog,

Could you compare with RD Ti-80, Ti-50 or C10 Pro, if you can?

tkoets
03-28-2004, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the info, JayDog. One thing I've always liked about Yonex racquets are their open patterns and potential for spin. Recently, I've hit with the Volkl V-Engine 10, and while a nice stick, the dense pattern does inhibit spin a bit and I would like a little more power from the stick. But those things aside, it has really nice feel.

You probably haven't tried the V-Engine, but I wonder if the Yonex has the same buttery feel as the Volkl and the feedback in the handle that the Volkl has. Would you say that TW's claim is true, i.e. despite the 90 sqin size the racquet plays larger?

Another racquet I'm interested in is the Head LM Prestige MP, but there's something about a smaller-headed racquet, not to mention one with an open pattern, that is very appealing.

Benjamin
03-28-2004, 11:35 AM
NOPE, NOPE, NOPE!!!

Not going to go back on my "vow."

It's either the ROK, the LM Prestige MP, the Tour 10 MP, or the Diablo MP.

I'm not going to try any Yonex racquets. It just annoys me a little that I would have to demo a 4 1/2" grip, but purchase a 4 5/8" grip. Trying the 4 1/2" grip knowing that the 4 5/8" racquet is going to probably play different because it will more than likely be heavier than the one I demo.

No Yonex Racquets for me.

Benjamin

JAYDOG THE RDX ATHLETE
03-28-2004, 12:27 PM
"I have a Yonex super rd tour 90 and Yonex mp tour 90. It is alot better than the mp tour 90"

what about the SRDTour90?
I'm not going to compare this to the srd tour because it excels Rdx on ever area except weight....for the people who can't handle it. I have lots of srd tour 90's and to me by far is the best racket I ever played with bar none. Ever since I first hit with it.....I fell in love with it. So to awnser your question michael chaho, The srd tour 90 is in a league of it's own.

JAYDOG THE RDX ATHLETE
03-28-2004, 12:45 PM
Would you say that TW's claim is true, i.e. despite the 90 sqin size the racquet plays larger?.........

I would say that it is very true that the 90 sq plays bigger. Before I started to play with Yonex 90's, I was playing with the Head pro tour 280;97sq. and Head trysis 300;102 sq. Both way bigger than Yonex 90's. I had no problem playing with a 90 sq. The weird part about it was that I was hitting more accurate; less miss hits than the bigger heads.[/quote]

Pro_Tour_630
03-28-2004, 05:22 PM
kinda knew that but wanted you to say it in your original post :wink:

larrhall
03-28-2004, 06:19 PM
SRD Tour = great all-around frame, possibly unmatched. Just Super.

03-29-2004, 09:50 AM
HOW DOES THE RDX500 98 16 X19 COMPARE TO THE MP1 98?
That is the question my good man.

BHud
03-29-2004, 04:13 PM
After a full 6 hours of demo time including match play, I will sum up my experience in the words of Eric Cartman..."SWEEEEET!". I really enjoy playing with this stick...soft, flexy feel with "pop", maneuverability, and stability all in one package. I couldn't really find a weakness anywhere! After 2 years of searching for an alternative to my POG as I get older, I believe I have finally found "my" racquet.

Benjamin, you may have to slip quietly out the back door and try this one out! I'm sure we'll all be forgiving :twisted: