PDA

View Full Version : Adidas Barricades (4 & 5) vs. Adidac CC Ultimate Edge

dr325i
07-04-2008, 08:39 AM
So, I have been playing with Adidas Barricades 4 and 5 for about a year and a half now. I love the B4s, but they were a bit heavy. Very durable IMO. The B5s are lighter and great shoes. Then, for past 3 weeks I played with the Vapor 4s (review is here: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=2436923#post2436923). Just recently I purchased the Adidas CC Ultimate Edge -- Black. So, here is a brief overview and comparison between the Barricades and the Ultimate Edges.

LOOKS:
These are subjective. For me, the Ultimate Edges look better, especially in person. They have great, round front.

BREAK IN PERIOD:
All shoes do not need break in period. They are all very comfortable from the beginning.

COMFORT/FIT:
ALL three pairs are very comfortable shoes. I was very surprised with the comfort of the Edges -- they are less padded than the Barricades, but very comfortable. The size fit is exactly the same as the B5s -- I'd say true size -- I wear sz. 11 and these fit perfect.
One thing to point out is that the Barricades are deeper than the Edges, therefore, the Edges have to be laced tightly, otherwise may be "slipping"
ADDED: The arch support on the Edges is a little bit higher than on the barricades.

WIDTH:
Both, B5s and Edges are about the same width -- narrower than the B4s.

VENTILATION:
Edges have excellent ventilation, much less sweating than in the barricades or Vapors -- love them for that.

DURABILITY:
B4s lasted me about 6 months (sole) before I had a hole on the bottom. I play about 10 hours per week consistently, only Hard Court. They are the longest lasting shoes I had so far. Previously I played with Diadoras Ace, with Adidas Triand...
I am hoping the B5s will last that long. I am not sure about the edges, but they look like durable shoes.

WEIGHT:
I am loving the Edges, absolutely loving how light they are.

STABILITY/TRACTION:
Believe it or not, I have to say that the Stability and the Hard Court grip is actually better witht he Edges than the Barricades (B5s) for me. I am absolutely glad I got them.

OVERALL (Price included):
The Barricades are great shoes, however, the Edges blew me away from the moment I put them on. They look great, they fit and feel great, they are very light, the ventilation is great, they are super stable and the movement control is great. And at 30% cheaper than the Barricades, they are definitely my choice from now on. I am not sure about the durability, but the 6-month sole warrant did not do much for me with the B4s, so...

Klatu Verata Necktie
07-04-2008, 09:45 AM
Excellent review. I'm glad to hear Adidas didn't give them a narrow fit like the Boom or Feathers. The Ultimate Edge will be my next pair of shoes.

iTennis
07-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Never owned B4/5, but your review on the Edge pretty much sums up my experience.

I started wearing Thorlo Level 3 thick socks with the Edge, which gave me blisters in arch more than once....but long story short, I sorted out the issue to be the socks, not shoes. Cotton socks and tight lacing are the key to prevent slipping/ blisters.

One problem is that I can not find another pair online at the moment.....and now I got a soft spot on Air Zoom Trainer that brought back my HS memory. But Edge is the best shoes I owned, and I know I would regret if I do not stock them.