PDA

View Full Version : Barricade V vs Lacoste Repel (review)

Tennis Man
07-05-2008, 08:58 AM
I picked up the Repels at Lacoste store in NYC. I have a lot of Lacoste apparel and love Lacoste quality and design but I never had their real tennis shoes. My main shoes are Adidas Barricades V. My feet are narrow with high arch and underpronation. They are the best shoes for me so far. So here's my little review (to be continued):

http://i29.tinypic.com/2vxok91.jpg

Design
I wouldn’t even compare these two if it wasn’t for Lacoste exceptional looks and design. Got to love the croc. Repels are the first Lacoste real tennis shoes I’d ever tried on and I wasn’t disappointed. The behive pattern is really cool and it feels like it does great job airing the shoes. My feet stayed dry longer in Repels.

Barricades on the other hand are famous for the performance characteristics, versatility and exceptional durability which is very important for playing on different surface

Comfort
Both shoes are designed for narrow feet. Barricades have a little bit bigger toe box (medium width) and I get blisters sometimes after a prolonged play. Lacoste Repel fits just like a glove. The toe box is really snug and well reinforced for more controlled movements.
Still Barricades are more comfortable with more cushioning and more ergonomic design. Repels feel a bit underdressed but wick the moisture away much better due to its beehive wall design.

Arch Support
Barricades have a more pronounced arch support but I found it a bit off balance with thicker socks (Thorlos). I tried different socks in both shoes and found the medium thickness (Puma performance socks) works well in both. Otherwise, there is enough cushioning in Barricades to offset any discomfort.
Lacoste Repels have neither much arch support nor cushioning as compared to Barricades V. Maybe it’s because they are designed for clay courts which are easier on the feet.

Foot Support/Stability
Barricades have much higher side walls. During the break-in period I thought that would be an issue as I would have blisters on my ankle bones. Actually it didn’t happen. After the break-in the shoe became very comfortable. The ankle support on them is the best of all shoes I ever tried on. Lacoste shoes are a bit lower but still quite stable. They don’t have as big of a heel as Barricades which kind makes them more comfortable walking shoe (off the court) but for the court it could be beefed up a bit more.

Overall Sole Durability/Toe Durability
I haven’t worn them long enough to tell. In addition I’m playing mostly in har-tru courts. So the sole durability is less of an issue here.

Traction
Both shoes provide very good traction. I couldn’t even slide in Repels on har-tru maybe because they are very light and snug. Barricades are much heavier and although they provide good traction I could slide in them a bit more.

Weight
Barricades are much heavier shoes that I don’t mind given all the advantages of the design and comfort. Lacoste are naturally more suited for playing on clay/har-tru and are much lighter.

Overall
I loved both shoes out of the box. Barricades V are almost perfect for me. I wish I could have the option to have the toe box a bit narrower. Lacoste needs to improve its shoes design to include more cushioning, arch and heel support. However the moisture management is the best on Repels. Love the looks. They are great walking shoes too. :)

http://i27.tinypic.com/24grfwk.jpg

Richie Rich
07-05-2008, 10:36 AM
i like the "absorption de shock" on the lacoste shoes :lol:

LafayetteHitter
07-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the comparison. I really like the Repels and have thought about buying some. Usually I am split between my Breathe Free II's and Barricade II's. I have tried a few other shoes that were lower to the ground like the Diadora Speedzone and cannot get used to the lower feeling. Would you say the Repel are much lower to the ground than the Barricades?

LafayetteHitter
07-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Just curious, did you buy the same size Repel as the Barricade? I wear a 12 in Barricades and 13 in any of the Nike's. I have not been able to find the Repel any larger than 12 and wasn't sure if the sizing ran large like Adidas.

Tennis Man
07-05-2008, 11:08 AM
Just curious, did you buy the same size Repel as the Barricade? I wear a 12 in Barricades and 13 in any of the Nike's. I have not been able to find the Repel any larger than 12 and wasn't sure if the sizing ran large like Adidas.

yes, I got the same size. As I mentioned, the Barricades feel a bit bigger in the toe box even with Thorlos. It's a problem for on hard court. The front part of the foot starts sliding inside the shoe after a long match. Otherwise it's great. I haven't tried the Repels on hard court yet. Maybe today.

Jonnyf
07-05-2008, 11:25 AM
Hey, Nice review I just bought some Repels for a clay court place I'm spending some time at soon. I got the white/blue version and they look/feel AMAZING!

ClubHoUno
07-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Nice reivew - the Lacoste shoes looks as great as the Nike Vapor V's :D

PlayTheClay
07-07-2008, 06:38 AM
Try the Wilson Trance II shoe if you are playing on Har-Tru...great shoe!

Tennis Man
07-07-2008, 07:48 AM
Try the Wilson Trance II shoe if you are playing on Har-Tru...great shoe!

Ok, thanks, but why bother trying Wilson Trance when there are so many better shoes around. I'd rather try Vapors V, although I don't like their cheap looks, sorry. :)

PlayTheClay
07-07-2008, 07:51 AM
As a clay court shoe, I like the Trance II best...I wouldn't wear it on hard courts though...go for something with more cushioning.

Daniel68
08-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Those Lacoste Repels look awesome!

Booyah
08-23-2008, 04:31 PM
love my barricades. all i can say.

Richie Rich
08-23-2008, 06:36 PM
Those Lacoste Repels look awesome!

love my barricades. all i can say.

so you guys decide to resurrect a month 1/2 thread why??????

Charlie_Boy
08-23-2008, 07:15 PM
They have a very classy look.

benne
08-23-2008, 08:14 PM
repels are sweet

maybe daniel68 was searching for lacoste or repel and this thread came up.

after all that's part of the function of these archived forums

CHOcobo
08-23-2008, 08:30 PM
so you guys decide to resurrect a month 1/2 thread why??????

why not???? isn't that the whole purpose of the search engine?? the more reviews/info the better.

Daniel68
08-24-2008, 06:37 AM
repels are sweet

maybe daniel68 was searching for lacoste or repel and this thread came up.

after all that's part of the function of these archived forums

Nah I was just looking at the Shoes and Apparel section, but thanks for backin me up.

LafayetteHitter
08-24-2008, 08:11 AM
People bump threads that are 2 years old all the time. My next shoes are the solid white Repels since I just bought 6 Lacoste Superdry Polos.

ClubHoUno
08-27-2008, 05:17 PM
Nothing wrong with bumping a thread from july this year - come on guys, you're being overly sensitive here :D

In fact it's great to bump an old thread in stead of making a new one asking questions, which can be answered just as well in this "old" thread :)

Charlie_Boy
08-27-2008, 05:58 PM
Sheesh, I had no idea how old this thread was.

Dedans Penthouse
12-19-2008, 07:11 PM
and bumped again, months later

The white with black honeycomb and green tongue/laces are nice looking; I'm wearing 'em right now to try and pre-break 'em in a little before trying them out on the court (Har-tru) for the first time tomorrow (normally wear nike vapor V). Will post "on-court" impressions although the feel of this shoe out-of-the-box (a tad stiff-lacking the nike "feel") suggests I'm probably going to use these shoes for drinking afterwards.

useless info.: one thing I notice about those crocs: the jaws of the "lizzard" on the right shoe face fowards towards the toes whereas the left shoe lizzard faces towards the heel.

game set match 46 TIMES!!
12-19-2008, 08:10 PM
i dont get any blisters from the Reples.well not yet...