PDA

View Full Version : Starter: 1HBH or 2HBH?

joeri888
07-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Well, I don't know if this is the right subforum for it, but I'll start anyway. I'm going to university in The Netherlands. I have watched the European GS from when Krajicek won Wimbledon. The last three years or so, I've watched the Masters Cup, US Open, and Australian Open as well. Just because I love the sport, to watch. I love the intensity of the game. The mental toughness, physical abilities, and skills needed combined in one sport. This is the first year I'm really following all season. I don't watch everything, but I follow results of at least all MS tourneys.

So, this summer, me and a friend of mine decided to pick up a tennis-raquet, for the first time. I'm a 19 years old male. It's still very poor. I'm starting to follow some course their giving at the gym of our university. I can get a serve in now, and a looping forehand over the net and inside the baseline, sometimes it's not even a looping one! ;)
My biggest problem so far is my backhand. I started hitting it with one hand, but those always end up in the net or hit 20 metres of sky. With a twohanded backhand, it's going a little better but not much. It always looks cool when my opponents at the net and goes to my backhand, to find me hitting a great backhand lob, which unfortunately was meant to be a backhand down the line;)
I don't really know how to hit a backhand. I don't expect to ever become any good, but I want to at least hit something that looks like a backhand. If I hit with twohands, should most of my power come from my writing-arm, my right arm, or the leftarm, which i put on the raquet as well to sort of push it.

I really don't know if this is really the forum to ask such newbie questions, but I thought I just give it a shot. All help is welcome,

Thanks

PS, sorry if my English is far from perfect.

Hatari!
07-05-2008, 08:00 PM
If you can get plenty of help from a coach, a one hander is just fine. The one-handed backhand is ridiculously hard to learn on your own. If you can get a regular coach, then I advise you to go with your preference.

dork2tennisstud
07-05-2008, 08:42 PM
Yeah, I find there's less chance of disaster with a two-hander. I've heard conflicting views as to which arm should do most of the work. I'm a righty, and I use mostly my left arm on my two-hander; my right arm pretty much just bends (flexes) to allow the motion to happen.

counter_puncher
07-06-2008, 04:06 PM
How can you have 828 posts and you don't even play tennis?

vsbabolat
07-15-2008, 08:12 PM
Yeah, I find there's less chance of disaster with a two-hander. I've heard conflicting views as to which arm should do most of the work. I'm a righty, and I use mostly my left arm on my two-hander; my right arm pretty much just bends (flexes) to allow the motion to happen.

That is how a lot of players with two hand backhands do it. I hit my two handed backhand like you describe. Several guys that have a great two hand backhand are Safin, Nadal, and Nalbandian. One of those guys' backhand would be a good back to emulate if you decide yo go with the two hander.
http://www.playerdevelopment.usta.com/pdmediabooks/assets/men/Marat%20Safin/PerformanceAnalysis.html
http://www.playerdevelopment.usta.com/pdmediabooks/assets/men/Rafael%20Nadal/PerformanceAnalysis.html
http://www.playerdevelopment.usta.com/pdmediabooks/players.asp?section=players&page=1

itsstephenyo
07-15-2008, 08:42 PM
If you don't have a coach or at least someone to give you some pointers, I'd say go with the two-hander. It's simpler to learn. The one hander is more difficult to master, especially without some way to drill the shot, like a ball machine or something.

shavenyak
07-15-2008, 08:53 PM

Agassi, one of the best 2HBHs in the game, pulled the 2HBH around with his right hand and only guided it with his left. I remember reading about how someone asked Agassi if he had any tips for Roddick's backhand and he said that Roddick pushes with his left and it's a little late in the game to change that.

Personally, I recommend a BH based on player size. If you're small, go with the 2HBH for more power, if you're tall, then go with the OHBH.

pow
07-16-2008, 12:49 AM
I say whatever feels more natural and preferable to you.
I can't seem to get a two-hander down, I'm too stiff when I have my left hand on the racquet.

Cenc
07-16-2008, 01:03 AM
i started playing at age of 6 playing 2HBH but i was not happy with results. then i was ill for one year and during that time i couldnt play tennis but while resting i decided to try learning the single handed backhand from my sofa :P (without coach's knowledge); i watched some videos of sampras and when i came to 1st training later on (at age of 9 or 10 i dont know) i tried to play 1HBH and it really works well and is one of my favourite shots so i suggest everyone to start with 2hbh and then change if needed

Djokovicfan4life
07-16-2008, 01:26 AM
I say whatever feels more natural and preferable to you.
I can't seem to get a two-hander down, I'm too stiff when I have my left hand on the racquet.

Nothing really feels "natural" when you first start playing tennis though. Especially the backhand side.

To the OP, if you decide to go with the one hander, either take lessons or take a look at this site (http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com). It's got all kinds of info about the one handed backhand and pretty much any other shot as well.

MasterBruceTennis
07-16-2008, 06:39 AM
Techniques must suite you physique, for beginners, 1hbh or 2hbh is depends on two main factor (1) your turning flex, (2) the ability of anticipating the comfortable strike zone.
If you are pretty flex on your waist and legs, then try 1hbh. If not, you are a 2hbher.
Again for beginners, I always have them try both 1hbh and 2hbh. For about 10 hrs of playing, you will know which one you like better.

TourTenor
07-16-2008, 04:03 PM
This thread is probably better in "Tennis Tips and Instruction" However, I agree with those suggesting that you get some instruction. A good instructor will give you the backhand basics before you develop some ingrained bad habits. Both one-hand and two-hand backhands can be extremely effective if you learn proper technique. Good luck.