PDA

View Full Version : Fed-Nadal End-All Be-All

marc45
07-05-2008, 12:24 PM
just got to thinking...while it's great, the anticipation, and hopefully the actual match, maybe the hype is just a tad too big...if one is thinking this automatically alters the tennis landscape the next five years...in particular with rafa now a dominant no. 1....if rafa continues to struggle post wimby and joker adds the u.s. open for a second slam this year, or if fed runs off a couple masters, plus the olympics and the open, things may look a little different by year's end, of course if roger wins things won't look that different at all...not trying to be a kill joy, but the battles will continue...did anyone see where roger said he'll be a threat at wimby the next ten years?.....the media and us tend to over-dramatize....i just saw rafa on espn and he was talking about how it's still a tennis match (singular)..of course he's trying to keep pressure off (having just finished sampras' book, he talked about the same kind of attitude as a key to his success...never make things bigger than they are)...it's definitely big, but hopefully at least the players will play without anvils on their back, as for their supporters and the people covering it, i'm not so sure

Nadal_Freak
07-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Nadal is the true number 1 if he wins it. Doesn't matter what the points are as Nadal has won half of the majors. Of course things can change for next year but Nadal would be the true number 1 for this year.

Hot Sauce
07-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Nadal is the true number 1 if he wins it. Doesn't matter what the points are as Nadal has won half of the majors. Of course things can change for next year but Nadal would be the true number 1 for this year.

The 'true number 1' is the player with the most amount of points. Thank goodness sports don't subjective thinking like yours for rankings.

matchmaker
07-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Well it will be the outcome of the match that will make it meaningful. If Federer wins it will just be business as usual and the tennis world will not change. If Nadal takes it home it will be a major shock and Federer's self esteem will take a major blow. We will have to wait and see.

Nadal_Freak
07-05-2008, 12:44 PM
The 'true number 1' is the player with the most amount of points. Thank goodness sports don't subjective thinking like yours for rankings.
Fed is still feeding off of last years results. It will soon be Nadal though if he wins. Lots of points for Fed to defend while Nadal has very few to defend at this point of the season.

vigour
07-05-2008, 12:48 PM

i don't really like u because i think ur a prat. but i do agree, whoever wins wimby is number 1, regardless of points.

marc45
07-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Well it will be the outcome of the match that will make it meaningful. If Federer wins it will just be business as usual and the tennis world will not change. If Nadal takes it home it will be a major shock and Federer's self esteem will take a major blow. We will have to wait and see.
i think the key will be how the loser responds...worse case scenario, agassi's tank for years after losing similarly-hyped '95 u.s. open

joeri888
07-05-2008, 01:33 PM
This is such BS in my opinion. Rafa said he'll be a true no. 2, but he gets a shot at no. 1 in the HC season. if he's so bad at the fast hardcourts that he can't even win enough points to be no.1 than how is he the true no.1? Roger wasn't the true no. 1 in you book either when he got his *** kicked by Mardy Fish earlier this year. The true no.1 is the one with most points. If Rafa really is that good, he'll get enough points later this season. It'll be an important match for determining the year end no.1 I agree.

seffina
07-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Even if he loses Wimbledon this year, I think Rafa's game has improved enough that he'll have a better hard court season this year than last.

But we have points for a reason.

veroniquem
07-05-2008, 01:44 PM
i don't really like u because i think ur a prat. but i do agree, whoever wins wimby is number 1, regardless of points.
You don't understand. Whoever wins 2 slams out of 4 will be considered the "true" #1. If Nadal wins W, that's him. If Fed wins, we'll have to wait until USO to determine the most dominant player of the year.

joeri888
07-05-2008, 01:49 PM
You don't understand. Whoever wins 2 slams out of 4 will be considered the "true" #1. If Nadal wins W, that's him. If Fed wins, we'll have to wait until USO to determine the most dominant player of the year.
I don't agree with this reasoning, but it's unlogical as well! If Rafa wins, NOW he has two, as the only one, yet Novak can get to two as well. If Roger wins, he is NOW the no. 1, yet Novak and Rafa could go past him. So what do you count? who's the best next week? Than it's either Roger or Rafa, no 'waiting till USO'. If you mean, end of year, than Rafa winning wouldn't mean he's true no. 1 cos he would maybe have to share it with Novak.

veroniquem
07-05-2008, 01:54 PM
I don't agree with this reasoning, but it's unlogical as well! If Rafa wins, NOW he has two, as the only one, yet Novak can get to two as well. If Roger wins, he is NOW the no. 1, yet Novak and Rafa could go past him. So what do you count? who's the best next week? Than it's either Roger or Rafa, no 'waiting till USO'. If you mean, end of year, than Rafa winning wouldn't mean he's true no. 1 cos he would maybe have to share it with Novak.
I guess I meant something less complicated than that. If you consider the slams to establish dominance (as opposed to official rankings), whoever wins several slams would dominate the year. After W, the only player that could end up with more than 1 slam won is Rafa (it's true that if Djoko won USO then you would have 2 dominant players and then you could factor in MS as well).

tennis-hero
07-05-2008, 02:20 PM
why should nadal be world number 1 if he wins wimbledon

forgive me for thinking world number one means best player

BUT

you cant be the best player if you cant win on hard courts... simple, the points DONT lie

fed is world number one and he deserves to be

Nadal_Freak
07-05-2008, 02:22 PM
why should nadal be world number 1 if he wins wimbledon

forgive me for thinking world number one means best player

BUT

you cant be the best player if you cant win on hard courts... simple, the points DONT lie

fed is world number one and he deserves to be
Nadal would be considered better than Fed on 2 of the 3 surfaces and won half the slams this year. Btw Nadal has had better hardcourt results so far this year.

tennis-hero
07-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Nadal would be considered better than Fed on 2 of the 3 surfaces and won half the slams this year. Btw Nadal has had better hardcourt results so far this year.

and i've already said, the points dont lie

if youre boy is so good on hard courts he WILL be world number one year end, and if he gets his butt picking backside handed to him in the US open again, he wont... its very simple really

Nadal_Freak
07-05-2008, 02:29 PM
and i've already said, the points dont lie

if youre boy is so good on hard courts he WILL be world number one year end, and if he gets his butt picking backside handed to him in the US open again, he wont... its very simple really
Well if Nadal wins Wimbledon, he will most likely be number 1 soon as like I said. Federer has way more points to defend than Nadal does. If Nadal doesn't win Wimbledon, Fed would have the edge to staying number 1.

TheTruth
07-05-2008, 02:36 PM
People, and pundits have also suggested that Rafa will be the number 1 player if he wins Wimbledon, because he has posted the best results throughout the year against Fed and Joker. Fed's points are heavily reliant upon last year's results. The point systems reflects consistency, but doesn't neccessarily reflect current results. For example, Davenport was year end number 1 based on her points, but she was not the best player on tour at the time.

The point system can be manipulated not only by last years results, but also by how many tournaments you play and go far into. That is not an indicator of being the best.

tennis-hero
07-05-2008, 02:41 PM
being the best is always open to interpretation

no one denies that rafa is *the best* on clay

and Joker might be the best on hard courts now

thats why i give the point system its due- no one in the world is *the best* on every surface, and roger came closest to being that, and even then he was consistently beaten on clay by nadal

the point system is fair- if you do well one year you have to defend that the next

csharpjava
07-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Nadal "'I'm am better player in general, but not on grass, because on grass I don't practise too much."

imo, if he wins tomorrow that just shows how much of an accomplishment it will truly be.

good luck to both. i expect a good match

Nadal_Freak
07-05-2008, 02:45 PM
Nadal "'I'm am better player in general, but not on grass, because on grass I don't practise too much."

imo, if he wins tomorrow that just shows how much of an accomplishment it will truly be.

good luck to both. i expect a good match
That quote was taken of context. It was comparing Nadal this year from him last year. I agree that he is a better player this year.

csharpjava
07-05-2008, 02:47 PM
um no. he said that just today.

lol. nothing to do with last year

Nadal_Freak
07-05-2008, 02:50 PM
um no. he said that just today.

lol. nothing to do with last year
Q. Do you feel you're a better player on grass this year than the last two years, particularly winning Queen's Club? Do you feel more confident?

RAFAEL NADAL: I think doesn't matter win on Queen's or don't win on Queen's for arrive here with good confidence, no? I get a lot of confidence in my clay season, in my hard season in United States, and later for sure winning on Queen's is important. But I was coming here with good confidence because I played two finals the last two years here, no? I think I am better player in general, but not on grass, because on grass I don't practice too much.

csharpjava
07-05-2008, 02:55 PM
and to go back to my original statement of saying how much an accomplistment it will be holds true.

well i guess nadal's a liar. b/c he won artois. that's OBVIOUSLY not better on grass amirite? lol

bagung
07-05-2008, 03:08 PM
nadal has improve alot...he is much better player than last year....
i think this is the year....
VAMOS RAFA...

Bjorn99
07-05-2008, 03:56 PM
No way Federers backhand holds up to the onslaught coming its way. Nadal, unless he gets another flukey knee click, will crush Fed this year, as he was on his way to doing last year. Fed is playing well, but unless he hits 50 aces, he is the runnerup this year.