PDA

View Full Version : Nadal Federers' low string Tension

thetennisman12345
07-07-2008, 12:25 AM
Hi,

Can anyone explain why they would go relatively low and someone like A Rod or Sampras goes high? Fed and Nadal both hit it hard just like Sampras etc., yes, so wouldn't they want it tighter for more control. Yes they are good and perhaps don't need that more control aspect but doesn't that trampoline effect work negatively against anyone at any level. I strung it low once and hated it...

baek57
07-07-2008, 12:39 AM
personal preference, dont do it just because a pro does it. if you hate it dont do it.

matchmaker
07-07-2008, 12:53 AM
Much of this probably has to do with new string technology. Before good players mainly played with natural gut. To get good control they had to string high. Nowadays many players use polys or a poly based hybrid. Polys are very stiff strings so even if you string low you still get good control. This being sad I am not a fan of too low a tension either. I prefer mid tension or slightly higher.

Fedace
07-07-2008, 01:10 AM
what racket is Roger really using ??

BluDiamond
07-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Federer strung at 47/48 for Wimbledon didn't he??

tennisdad65
07-07-2008, 11:51 AM

what does nadal string at?

h7hugo
07-07-2008, 12:42 PM
^^55 pds to Rafa... Babolat Duralast Tour

JakeRicardyau11
07-07-2008, 04:07 PM
I think he strings his at 51

Murray_Maniac
07-07-2008, 04:20 PM
I think he strings his at 51
Dang. I usually get mine strung @ 60, but Ive hit w/ 57 on demos and they're not comfortable or solid enough. I agree w/ Baek57, dont only do it because a pro uses it. If your used to a higher tension, Id guarentee that lower tensions will disappoint.

PBODY99
07-07-2008, 04:22 PM
The physic of a tennis racket would lead you to think that within the range we string our frames it doesn't matter that much. See the USRSA book on the subject, I'm not inclined to argue the point,

The so called "Holy Grail " that so many on this board seek is a matter of individual preference in the end. It is the feed back from the strings you look for, nothing more.

miniRafa386
07-07-2008, 04:36 PM
fed strings between 50-55 lbs depending on the surface, tournament, and his opponent. at least from what ive heard.

nadal, 54 full duralast, aka, a 2x4

ronalditop
07-07-2008, 05:22 PM
federer string at low tension cause his racquet is extremely small, so it give him a lot of control(and misshits to), so to even out he has to do that. with nadal, i have no clue, but maybe because he hit it with a insane amount of spin, he need a powerful racquet, if dont, hes shot would land in the serve area.

Cavaleer
07-08-2008, 06:33 AM
Hi,

Can anyone explain why they would go relatively low and someone like A Rod or Sampras goes high? Fed and Nadal both hit it hard just like Sampras etc., yes, so wouldn't they want it tighter for more control. Yes they are good and perhaps don't need that more control aspect but doesn't that trampoline effect work negatively against anyone at any level. I strung it low once and hated it...

I don't know about Fed and Nadal but Sampras and Roddick have completely different games, strokes and racquets. To compare the two is truly like comparing apples and oranges.

Sampras used straight Gut with a very heavy, stiff, low-power frame because HE generated all the power. His entire game was built around his first coach's knowledge of dynamic physics and that Wilson frame, so it's truly difficult to compare Sampras' game to today's players, who grew up playing with Babolats and such. I'm rather certain Sampras first frames were wood.

Cavaleer

JediMindTrick
07-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Nadal's tension is not low, 54-55 is about average for the pros.

JacKKyKung
07-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Nadal's tension is not low, 54-55 is about average for the pros.

Which type of string you've said?

If it's Gut, i don't think so. I think it's not avg' tension of all types.

rightytopspin79
07-08-2008, 11:09 AM
I string mine at 53 lb with this string called Endura Classic. What do most of you guys string your racquets at?

almerickso
07-08-2008, 06:26 PM
well these players can afford to string low because the string doesnt lose much tension from stringing machine to play cuz they get racquets strung in the morning or the day before and then cut them out after a few games.

for regular players, we get them strung. keep them in the beg till the next game. hit with it a couple of sessions then restring.
that's relatively a lot of tension loss compared to what the pro's strings go thru.

i think that's why so many ppl in these forums play with much higher tensions and cant get used to the lower tensions

fridrix
07-08-2008, 07:11 PM
I string mine at 53 lb with this string called Endura Classic. What do most of you guys string your racquets at?

16g Forten Competition Nylon, 70#

kobe3pointer
07-08-2008, 07:48 PM
i like mine 48-52 max... I feel I get alot more feel and control, and I can generate my own power..i tried 63- no control...

LPShanet
07-09-2008, 12:08 AM
There's another thread exactly like this one, only with better, simpler answers. To wit, neither Federer or Nadal uses a particularly low tension. They both use poly strings (in a hybrid in Fed's case) and those are suggested to be strung 5% lower than other strings, putting them right in the middle of the recommended tension range for their frames. They are also pretty close to lots of other pros in their tension preferences. Nothing to see here...keep moving along.

CaveMan
07-09-2008, 12:12 AM
I have mine at 42lbs......my aeropro is at 58..., and im having it restrung to 54

bbzz24
07-09-2008, 08:54 AM
grass play is much quicker than hardcourt and stroke swings abbreviated. it would make sense to lower the tension in order to gain some more power.

Fxanimator1
07-09-2008, 04:22 PM
i like mine 48-52 max... I feel I get alot more feel and control, and I can generate my own power..i tried 63- no control...

Tighter tensions give you more control, not less.

tennis_hand
07-10-2008, 07:32 AM
for Nadal, he uses full poly. so he doesn't need very high tension. also, he needs the power because he mainly swings up rather than front.

for federer, his racket is small, so he needs the little extra power, because he already has tons of control from that racket.

Another factor is: they string very frequently. but for us, if we sting so low, the tension will drop even further after a few weeks. this will make the rackets very difficult to play with. So for us, we string it higher and after some time, it will be at the right tension.

bluetrain4
07-10-2008, 07:39 AM
54 or 55 lbs for Nadal with Babolat Duralast would feel fairly tight/stiff. That same tension with a gut, multi, or even some synthetic guts would feel much softer/looser.

JediMindTrick
07-10-2008, 08:07 AM
Which type of string you've said?

If it's Gut, i don't think so. I think it's not avg' tension of all types.

Nadal uses a thick poly. Agassi actualy said that Nadal's racquet has no power whatsoever.

Fumoffu
07-10-2008, 09:20 AM
Nadal uses a thick poly. Agassi actualy said that Nadal's racquet has no power whatsoever.

agassi also used an os

matchmaker
07-12-2008, 10:18 PM
As other posters indicated, polys with a somewhat lower tension = multi or gut with high tension. Nadal also plays with a thick gauge, so his strings are very control oriented at the tension he plays with.

Eph
07-14-2008, 08:00 AM

53 mains, 51 crosses 90% of the time

Racquet Man
07-14-2008, 12:04 PM
Eph, how do you obtain this info? I don't think that Nate Fergussen or Ron Yu of P1 would generally make this public, and they are the only 2 people who touch Federer's sticks?

Eph
07-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Eph, how do you obtain this info? I don't think that Nate Fergussen or Ron Yu of P1 would generally make this public, and they are the only 2 people who touch Federer's sticks?

I wasn't specifically referring to Wimbledon, just what he strings 90% of the time.

It varies depending on the weather and how he's feeling, but in general, that's his setup. Sometimes he goes to 49 in the crosses.

Noveson
07-14-2008, 01:11 PM
55 lbs is only low on these boards. TT is filled with people who think stringing insanely high makes them much better players.

RJYU
07-14-2008, 01:29 PM
I wasn't specifically referring to Wimbledon, just what he strings 90% of the time.

It varies depending on the weather and how he's feeling, but in general, that's his setup. Sometimes he goes to 49 in the crosses.

Not sure where you're getting your information, but you are incorrect. Roger has been stringing his racquets in the mid to upper 40's for the past 2-3 years. His crosses being strung 1.5 kilos looser than the mains at all times.

nickb
07-14-2008, 01:36 PM
53 mains, 51 crosses 90% of the time

Why are you trying to act the expert on this forum? (its clear to most of us you dont have a clue).

BreakPoint
07-14-2008, 01:38 PM
I'm rather certain Sampras first frames were wood.
Yes, they were. In the recent bio program on Sampras on Tennis Channel, they showed videos of him playing as a kid and he was swinging a Wilson Jack Kramer Pro Staff woodie (like what McEnroe used in the early part of his career).

Jonnyf
07-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Not sure where you're getting your information, but you are incorrect. Roger has been stringing his racquets in the mid to upper 40's for the past 2-3 years. His crosses being strung 1.5 kilos looser than the mains at all times.

Can we now agree to end the "what's feds string tension" in this thread. The guy that strings his rackets has just told us the answer. Not that it'll stop the conspiracy theories:shock::roll:

jetlee2k
07-14-2008, 02:25 PM
I used to play with Pro Staff 85 @60lb.. then I went down to 58lb.. then I switched to Pro Staff Tour 90, KFactor90 I went down 55lb Luxilon.. then I tried Federer setup @52.. then @50 then @48.. then my ultimal setup is VS16 gut main at 47lb, Luxilon rough @44lb... For me it's the best setup for K90 at very very loose tension.. Great in volleys, spin, serves and power with total control..

bchamaki
07-14-2008, 06:24 PM
sorry if this was said but, what guage (check spelling) does Nadal use. Oh yea, and do you guys think that Duralast would be good on other frames.

Cup8489
07-14-2008, 07:42 PM
sorry if this was said but, what guage (check spelling) does Nadal use. Oh yea, and do you guys think that Duralast would be good on other frames.

15L, which is i think 1.35 mm. but i dont think duralast is good on ANY frame... there are other strings that blow it out of the water in every way except durability, and i dont think that the little extra it gives you makes up for the harsh feel and loss of tension.

Racquet Man
07-14-2008, 08:09 PM
Ron, I guess your reply clearly demonstrates that my statement in an earlier post that I didn't think that P1 would make info about Federer's tensions, etc public was bunk. Thank you for piping in and putting this to bed.

Hope you can clarify a few other points for us.

1. Bob Patterson's article about P1 in the recent edition of TennisLife was great. Besides serving your gold and silver clients, will you guys also service us normal schlubs for racquet and grip customization/racquet matching like Roman Prokes and his team does at RPNY?

2. In another post within this topic of 'Pro racquets and Gear", Tarie says he was given Djokovic's custom mold racquet. he states the specs of this racquet. Djokovic is your client. can you confirm if the info he gave as to weith, flex, SW are correct? What tension does you string his racquet at?

Much thanks in advance for any info you can provide in reply to my questions.

P.S.: Will you be in Toronto next week for the Rogers Cup? Will you guys be stringing on site?

RJYU
07-15-2008, 11:22 AM
Ron, I guess your reply clearly demonstrates that my statement in an earlier post that I didn't think that P1 would make info about Federer's tensions, etc public was bunk. Thank you for piping in and putting this to bed.

Hope you can clarify a few other points for us.

1. Bob Patterson's article about P1 in the recent edition of TennisLife was great. Besides serving your gold and silver clients, will you guys also service us normal schlubs for racquet and grip customization/racquet matching like Roman Prokes and his team does at RPNY?

2. In another post within this topic of 'Pro racquets and Gear", Tarie says he was given Djokovic's custom mold racquet. he states the specs of this racquet. Djokovic is your client. can you confirm if the info he gave as to weith, flex, SW are correct? What tension does you string his racquet at?

Much thanks in advance for any info you can provide in reply to my questions.

P.S.: Will you be in Toronto next week for the Rogers Cup? Will you guys be stringing on site?

Yes, we're more than happy to customize racquets for the general public. The turnaround time depends on the time of year. During this time of year, it might take a while since we're traveling a lot.

I haven't seen the Djokovic thread, so can't comment on the racquet specs given. We normally don't comment on racquet specs of our clients other than string tension. As for Novak's tensions, he's usually anywhere from 26-28 kilos on the main strings with his crosses always being strung 1 kilo looser.

We will be in Toronto. We do all our work from our hotel rooms except at the Cincinnati event which is currently the only tournament during the year where Priority One is the official racquet service provider.

Racquet Man
07-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the reply Ron.:) I would certainly like to speak with you some time to discuss future racquet customization requirement. Is Priority One listed under that name in the Tampa White Pages? If not, please advise how best to contact you.

[K]evinMoss
07-15-2008, 07:05 PM
VS Team 17 @ 62lbs

fridrix
07-15-2008, 07:49 PM
55 lbs is only low on these boards. TT is filled with people who think stringing insanely high makes them much better players.

Guilty... 70#... :oops:

prostaff18
07-15-2008, 08:25 PM
We will be in Toronto. We do all our work from our hotel rooms except at the Cincinnati event which is currently the only tournament during the year where Priority One is the official racquet service provider.

Ron, at the Cincinnati event do you mind if people stop by the stringing room and check it out?

RJYU
07-16-2008, 06:48 AM
Ron, at the Cincinnati event do you mind if people stop by the stringing room and check it out?

Feel free to stop by the stringing room. Guest are always welcome, especially if they bring us some food...

little_e
07-16-2008, 07:11 AM
^^^

I'll be there Monday and Tuesday what do you want to eat?

Nellie
07-16-2008, 07:25 AM
well these players can afford to string low because the string doesnt lose much tension from stringing machine to play cuz they get racquets strung in the morning or the day before and then cut them out after a few games.

for regular players, we get them strung. keep them in the beg till the next game. hit with it a couple of sessions then restring.
that's relatively a lot of tension loss compared to what the pro's strings go thru.

i think that's why so many ppl in these forums play with much higher tensions and cant get used to the lower tensions

I think this is a really smart comment because most people, after stringing high, likely spend most their life playing at a racquet in the mid 40s

topspinalex
07-16-2008, 09:59 PM
58-60 Lbs Pro Hurricane

ART ART
07-17-2008, 07:32 AM
That is 100% correct for Roger, around 21kilos and his rackets nowadays are much lighter than the stock K6.1 rackets, around 355grams strung+overgrip, around 32 cms point balance in Wimbledon this year.

RonY can confirm this specs...

RJYU
07-17-2008, 08:03 AM
That is 100% correct for Roger, around 21kilos and his rackets nowadays are much lighter than the stock K6.1 rackets, around 355grams strung+overgrip, around 32 cms point balance in Wimbledon this year.

Actually I can't confirm these specs because they are incorrect. I don't go into details about racquet specs of our clients, but I will say that Federer's frames for the grass season are heavier than you have indicated.

ART ART
07-17-2008, 08:56 AM
Actually I can't confirm these specs because they are incorrect. I don't go into details about racquet specs of our clients, but I will say that Federer's frames for the grass season are heavier than you have indicated.

Well if you say so, but with overgrip it goes around 360grams, right Ron ?

Gorecki
07-17-2008, 02:27 PM
i remember listening to the stringer at Estoril saying that Fed likes is frames strung at a much lower tension than what i use for a term of comparison... dont remember the tension anyway...

BreakPoint
07-17-2008, 02:53 PM
Well if you say so, but with overgrip it goes around 360grams, right Ron ?
If that's true then that's about the weight of a stock retail K90.

sureshs
07-17-2008, 02:59 PM

That is 12.5 oz and 7 ounces HL strung. The stock is 12.5 oz and 9 pts HL, according to TW.

Why do you say it is much lighter?

sharpblade
07-17-2008, 03:30 PM
i remember listening to the stringer at Estoril saying that Fed likes is frames strung at a much lower tension than what i use for a term of comparison... dont remember the tension anyway...

20.5 mains (natural gut), 19.5 crosses (alu power rough) @ estoril open

ART ART
07-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Take my firt post... 355grams including strings and overgrip for grass.
In clay last year he used much more weight than this, around 369grams. This year 360grams in clay season.
He also change the Luxillon string to another type of ALU for some matches.
In Estoril, he used the services of the local stringers... but of course, it's all about business... so secrets are to be keept...