PDA

View Full Version : Playing with Glasses

Power Game
01-23-2005, 07:31 PM
How many of you play with glases, what do you do to prevent them from falling and fogging up. I just play with them on, they slip and I find myself adjusting them often. Wasn't wearing them in my avatar though. I'm considering contacts....

Noelle, I noticed you wear glasses in your pic (assuming that that is you), any ideas?

Noelle
01-23-2005, 07:57 PM
That's me in the avatar, but those are sunglasses. :D I do wear eye correction lenses. Usually contacts, but I've played wearing my prescription glasses. Funny enough, they don't fall off because the ends are embedded in my hair and the frames themselves are pretty snug around my temples. The weather here in the Philippines is also warm enough that the lenses don't fog up. My main problem with wearing glasses while playing is that sometimes my sweat falls onto the lens and I have to wipe them off. I also find it more difficult to play wearing my eyeglasses because the peripheral vision is bad.

Craig Sheppard
01-23-2005, 08:19 PM
PG, I tried playing with glasses for a few months. Had real trouble tracking the ball b/c it would always get funky when it left the field of view of the glasses. I went to contacts and will never go back. It was only recently I could get them due to my astygmatism. But I'm very, very happy I did it. There's also no risk of eye injury due to breaking glasses, and you can wear stock non-presecription sunglasses if that's your thing. I highly, highly, recommend them for any sports players. The only time it gets a little funky is at night, but it doesn't really hinder play; it is only a smidge harder to track the ball. Hard to explain.

Craig

Hewitt rulez
01-23-2005, 08:35 PM
Ive never had problems with my glasses slipping or fogging up or anything.

Hewitt rulez
01-23-2005, 08:35 PM
Ive given thought to changing to contacts though.

devilish_duke
01-23-2005, 11:48 PM
I've never had trouble with my glasses through track, tennis, basketball.... is the difference in tracking the ball really crucial?

tennis-n-sc
01-24-2005, 07:07 AM
I wear tri-focals and don't have problems with them fogging or slipping. But the sun is a killer. Clip ons don't help much and night play is a little difficult. But, hey, just suck it up and keep plugging away. I have threatened to have some corrective lasik performed but was trying to hold out until they come up with something for farsightedness.

thejackal
01-24-2005, 05:50 PM
The only problems I've had with playing with glasses is having swear all over the lace when it's hot out. So anooying. I guess peripheral vision could be better but I havn't tried contacts yet.

Deuce
01-25-2005, 01:20 AM
Billie Jean, Navratilova, Ashe...

Any other pros play while wearing glasses? Did Ashe wear glasses while playing at some point? I can't recall.

raftermania
01-25-2005, 01:52 PM
Our buddy Arnaud Clement wears those funky rainbow shades which are corrective.

Shane Reynolds
01-25-2005, 03:23 PM
What kind of contacts are y'all using? especially Craig Sheppard since you mentioned having a bad astygmatism. I used to wear contacts just fine but I took a few years off and now I cannot find any that fit well. The Acuvue 2 were the most comfortable, but they would not stay in place and they were too hard to get in and out. The "best" overall I found were the Target house brand, but even they were not comfortable enough to use all the time.

Noelle
01-25-2005, 06:40 PM
I don't have any particular brand preference for contacts, but I always get extended wear lenses. This way, I can wear them all day and through the night. Daily wear lenses must be taken off after eight hours.

Ruuzo
01-25-2005, 06:57 PM
i've been having lots of problems with my glasses fogging up as well...does anyone out there have any good ways to deal with this?

backcourt
01-26-2005, 12:39 PM
I always wear contacts. Everytime I have forgotten them, my glasses fog up and get covered with sweat. Once you wipe them off they are not nearly as clear. It amazes me how many guys I play with do wear glasses which never seem to fog up. I guess they dont sweat as much as I do.

Power Game
01-26-2005, 07:19 PM
The worst is when you are running up for an easy winner and your glasses fog up and you end up shanking the ball. Glasses in the sun is also a pain...

dogman
01-28-2005, 09:18 AM
This only happened to me once and that was bad enough to find the solution, we play in colorado year round and in the winter at 20 degrees, when you heat up and sweat the glasses are still cold and they fog up, just go to walgreens or some drug store and get some anti fog glass cleaner, works so good it scary...sometimes not wearing a hat help too...

court_zone
01-28-2005, 12:24 PM
I have seen Federer and Roddick wearing glasses. I know that Roddick only needs them at night time and Federer I am unsure. But why doesn't Roddick where glasses in his night matches? Pros who need glasses probably use contact lenses instead. From what I heard so far in this thread, it seems like a good idea. I also wear glasses and I am thinking using contact lenses when I play.

Punisher44
01-29-2005, 04:27 PM
I wear contacts now.
I had some success with some stuff called Cat Crap that I picked up at a climbing store.
But, I found a cheaper alternative was a small bottle of water mixed with dishwashing soap.

Noelle
01-29-2005, 04:48 PM
Simple reason, really, why contacts are better than glasses on court. With glasses, there's a greater chance you didn't really see the ball go in or out due to the limits in peripheral vision, and some people will question your line calling even though you DID see the ball go out. :(

Contact lenses bring a near-sighted or far-sighted person closer to what is considered normal vision, and hence there will be fewer questions raised.