PDA

View Full Version : Strange Question About Attire.....

ryangoring
07-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Do you spend money on buying "tennis" attire like the pros or do you just put on a t-shirt and pants that seems appropriate?
Just asking.....

SempreSami
07-07-2008, 01:48 PM
This should answer your question :roll:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=194403

Passingshot
07-07-2008, 02:16 PM
I usualy just wear shorts and a t shirt. Nothing special

BreakPoint
07-07-2008, 02:16 PM
I wear tennis clothes like the pros wear because I figure since I can't play like them at least I can dress like them. :)

Passingshot
07-07-2008, 02:21 PM
I wear tennis clothes like the pros wear because I figure since I can't play like them at least I can dress like them. :)

Hey if you look good, you feel, good, then you play good!

Zhou
07-07-2008, 02:28 PM
I go to our local Kohl's and buy the cheap poly shirts on sale with a coupon. Same with the pants.

WildVolley
07-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Both. When I'm seriously playing, or practicing, I sweat a lot. The poly stuff does not get soggy and clingy like cotton.

I have some nice outfits, but it is mostly random stuff I've picked up on sales. I don't really care if my outfits are from the same brand as long as the colors don't look bad together.

TheShaun
07-07-2008, 03:57 PM
i usually buy tennis shorts but cheap wicking shirts. C9 from target!!

Photoshop
07-07-2008, 04:12 PM
i usually buy tennis shorts but cheap wicking shirts. C9 from target!!
Haha same here. All my shoes/shorts/socks are overpriced Nike stuff but shirts = whatever cotton shirt in the closet.

ryangoring
07-07-2008, 06:50 PM

Someone with that title of the G.O.A.T. should be able to play, would you think?? lol :)

hmmmmmm I like the idea of the shirts that wick the sweat away. Target and Wally World has them right.

Shoes: ahhhhh any reebok or adidas of crossing training shoes.

BreakPoint
07-07-2008, 11:37 PM
Someone with that title of the G.O.A.T. should be able to play, would you think?? lol :)

hmmmmmm I like the idea of the shirts that wick the sweat away. Target and Wally World has them right.

Shoes: ahhhhh any reebok or adidas of crossing training shoes.
Well, I can play but just because I wear Federer's shirt does not mean that I can play like Federer. If I could, I'd have 5 Wimbledon titles. ;)

BTW, I would stay away from cross trainers and get real tennis shoes if you're halfway serious about tennis. But judging by this thread, you don't sound like you are.

MTXR
07-08-2008, 12:12 AM
I spend money on shoes and shorts mainly. I seem to destroy shirts... so i buy cheap shirts. I have some nice shirts though.

Char
07-08-2008, 03:01 AM
I enjoy looking good, so I spend some on the more stylish attire here and there for tennis. I have a couple outfits that match and look great together. I plan to get a few more. I also have some of the C9 stuff which works just fine too and doesnt look half bad. Most important to me is that its not cotton. Its just awful to play in cotton.

Klatu Verata Necktie
07-08-2008, 04:20 AM
I think most people are in my situation, having some nice pieces of clothing and some practical, run-of-the-mill Target (off brand) clothing.

This should answer your question :roll:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=194403

I question whether some of the people who post in that thread actually play tennis.

spkyEngrish
07-08-2008, 04:44 AM
My hard earned $ goes to good quality tennis shoes. Shirts and shorts are whatever - not really into pro/brand worship, or how I look on the court. I'd rather my game look much better than I do.

max
07-08-2008, 05:42 AM
I agree with spkyEngrish above: put your money in the shoes.

The clothes will come in time, if you play year in year out. . . you'll eventually have enough shirts and shorts that you'll find yourself having an "outfit", if that sounds like what you're after.

Me, I just go for comfort. C-9s from Target are great, buy them in the fall at a discount.

albino smurf
07-08-2008, 05:45 AM
Good shoes. TJ Maxx, outlets and Marshals for the rest.

N23
07-08-2008, 05:51 AM
I sweat like a pig so I wear moisture wicking shirts from Walmart or wherever cheap. I have some older Nike tennis shorts that haven't been destroyed yet so I wear those. The one thing I will spend dosh on is shoes. Sore feet after playing a few hours isn't happy.

FloridaAG
07-08-2008, 05:56 AM
At some Adidas outlets - you can find stuff at great prices. Close out sales etc. and there is always TJ Max which carries lots of tennis/athletic gear for cheap.

Poly/sports gear keeps you much cooler and drier than cotton - I always wore t-shirts until a couple years ago when my wife finally sold me by buying me some FILA shirts - world of difference- especially if you play in a warm climate.

slice bh compliment
07-08-2008, 06:21 AM
I spend the money on grips (leather and fresh overgrips), strings (gut and hurricane), sticks (lots of them), shoes (Babolats), socks (Thorlos), the best balls (Dunlop GP) and the best tennis shorts (Diadora Matteo shorts).

Shirts....sometimes a cotton tee, sometimes a polo, sometimes a soccer jersey, usually a poly tee.

Matching clothes like the pros, the latest bags, the latest headbands or hats....you can have 'em. Not for me. Kind of poseur-ish unless you've got a clothing deal or something.

ryangoring
07-08-2008, 07:40 AM
Well, I can play but just because I wear Federer's shirt does not mean that I can play like Federer. If I could, I'd have 5 Wimbledon titles. ;)

BTW, I would stay away from cross trainers and get real tennis shoes if you're halfway serious about tennis. But judging by this thread, you don't sound like you are.

You wanna play a few sets to find out?????
I dont care if I get spanked or you get spanked by me....:neutral:
But nah...Just started back playing from a 12 - 13 year absence.....

I guess i can get some tennis shoes, I play on clay courts down here in florida.
I will look in to it......

Man Break Point all those posts...whew!!
J/K do you have time for tennis??

tnkGod4tns
07-08-2008, 10:31 AM
My hard earned $ goes to good quality tennis shoes. Shirts and shorts are whatever - not really into pro/brand worship, or how I look on the court. I'd rather my game look much better than I do.

i agree with spky, i used to buy expensive name brand outfit but i came to realize that the most important thing for me is good shoes (to avoid injury, make sure you keep track of your mileage and change shoes at a regular basis, they might still look good but the support is what gets beat up, you'll notice this once you wake up in the morning and feel a little bit more on the joints/knees), next for me is i splurge on premium strings, since i'm not a string breaker i use natural gut, good socks is very important too, i use level 2 thorlos (not too thick not too thin), good cushioning without taking the feel of the ground totally, if i have a shoe that is a bit roomy i go to level 3 thorlos. To me those are the 3 most important things that i splurge, oh and some good overgrips. C9 from Target rocks, cheap, functional, and looks decent.

BreakPoint
07-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Man Break Point all those posts...whew!!
J/K do you have time for tennis??
I play almost every day all year round. I've also been playing since the mid-70's. Are you sure you still want to play me? :eek: :)

Il Mostro
07-08-2008, 01:09 PM
I mix it up, but the wicking material on the tops is a must. So much better than having a wet cotton t-shirt hanging off of me.

Spartan
07-08-2008, 02:38 PM
I bought a lot of good tennis clothes from TW.

It's not about "looking like a pro." It's just about looking good in general.

I like wearing nice clothes off the tennis court as well so that probably has a lot to do with my choice to look good on the court.

(btw...I play 3-4 times a week so I like having the outfits ready to go.)

ryangoring
07-08-2008, 03:00 PM
I play almost every day all year round. I've also been playing since the mid-70's. Are you sure you still want to play me? :eek: :)

Are you in Fla?
I live in Daytona Beach.....started back when I was 7 till I was 17......

Hey maybe you can teach me a thing or 2,3........

Knocking alot of rust off the body right now.

Been pleasure to see the response I got from this thread.
Thanks to all!

rockbox
07-08-2008, 08:12 PM
I get what ever is cheap at the Nike outlet. Usually less than 15 dollars for tennis short and 20 dollars for a dri-fit polo. I like nike tennis shorts because I can put four balls in my pockets with it bothering me. Almost always in solids like black, white, and blue so I don't spend too much time matching.

Passingshot
07-08-2008, 09:49 PM
I get what ever is cheap at the Nike outlet. Usually less than 15 dollars for tennis short and 20 dollars for a dri-fit polo. I like nike tennis shorts because I can put four balls in my pockets with it bothering me. Almost always in solids like black, white, and blue so I don't spend too much time matching.

Do you find alot of good stuff at Nike Outlets? My closest one is about an hour away, and I want more clothes with my bday money.

Vermillion
07-08-2008, 09:59 PM
I just need 2 more polos and 1 pair of shorts and i'll be set.

rockbox
07-09-2008, 09:26 PM
Do you find alot of good stuff at Nike Outlets? My closest one is about an hour away, and I want more clothes with my bday money.

They don't have a huge selection but there is usually about 4 or 5 tennis shirts and shorts in different colors ranging from 15 to 30 dollars depending on the design and if there is a sale. I would call them up before driving there because it seems like they are running a 20 percent off sale every other time I go there.

Passingshot
07-09-2008, 09:34 PM
They don't have a huge selection but there is usually about 4 or 5 tennis shirts and shorts in different colors ranging from 15 to 30 dollars depending on the design and if there is a sale. I would call them up before driving there because it seems like they are running a 20 percent off sale every other time I go there.

Thanks! I will have to make a trip up before the summer ends, and will probably call ahead.

Josherer
07-10-2008, 04:45 AM
For practice i wear tennis shoes, shorts, and dri-fit shirt..

for matches and tourneys i wear tennis shoes, shorts, and a polo.

:)

fridrix
07-10-2008, 05:50 AM
I only wish sharp clothes translated into better results... I do take some enjoyment out of wearing matching colors though. My mixed ladies dress like they're playing Amelia Island or something.

slice bh compliment
07-10-2008, 06:12 AM
Hahahah, often quite the opposite.

In a satellite, I once lost to a dude with mismatched, torn and stained clothes. He carried three sticks (two Dunlop Black Max' and one Prince 90) and a towel. His shoes were worn out, too, and he smelled bad. The guy had a world ranking for years, and he shall go nameless.

EDIT: I guess it's like the yutz with the $1500 head-to-toe Bogner outfit who can't even get down the mountain....and the ace ski racer with the jeans just whizzing over/around the moguls.

bertiefactor
07-10-2008, 08:13 AM
during training i wear tees and shorts with compression shorts underneath.
match play- tank tops and shorts

if i wake up in the morning- thinking im gona play badly then i would wear some scrappy clothes nothing special. on days when im high confidence and hitting well in pre matches then i wear dedicated tennis apparel

rorourboat320
07-10-2008, 04:26 PM
usually just wear shorts and shirt. nothing too special. occasionally i'll buy an outfit for tournaments. don't think it's worth it spending that much on matching outfits. maybe plain colored shorts that can match with everything. shoes on the other hand is another story

Lucy Brown
07-21-2008, 10:52 AM
I bought a lot of good tennis clothes from TW.

It's not about "looking like a pro." It's just about looking good in general.

I like wearing nice clothes off the tennis court as well so that probably has a lot to do with my choice to look good on the court.

(btw...I play 3-4 times a week so I like having the outfits ready to go.)

Your like me bro! I love to look good. Looking sharp makes me feel good. Feeling good gives me confidence. Confidence makes me play and work better. I cant dress like I'm chopping wood in the back yard to go play tennis. Golf's the same for me. I only buy top of the line expensive golf and tennis apparel. Everything has to match and no mixing of brands. I mainly buy Nike, Adidas and Under Armour. I have the means so I'm able to do it and it's worth for me. What ever floats your boat like they say. I've never been mistaken for a bum but have been mistaken for the CEO of my company. NO JOKE!

max
07-21-2008, 11:12 AM
I can agree wtih Lucy Brown. For most folks, if you feel you're looking good, that gives you a bit of extra positive energy. Can't hurt.

On the other hand, consider wearing junky, schlocky stuff to a match, hoping to prove to the other guy that "it doesn't matter". . . and then watch yourself losing to him! Thus confirming his (and other folks') view that you really shouldn't have been out there in the first place.

For an important match, I try to piece together shirts and shorts that more or less match.

MTXR
07-22-2008, 01:11 AM
I can't remember if i posted in this thread.

I spend the most on shoes, then shorts, then shirts. I wear my tennis clothes off the court and all day pretty much. I find tennis clothes to be the most comfortable clothing made.

I am gonna pick up some C9 stuff here this week.

Without regard to clothing i think i spend the most on strings and then overgrips because those are more maintenance aspects of playing tennis. Tennis balls a close third.

kelz
07-22-2008, 02:50 AM
Do you spend money on buying "tennis" attire like the pros or do you just put on a t-shirt and pants that seems appropriate?
Just asking.....

I don attire that feels good.