PDA

View Full Version : Molik's "300G"

GuyPerez
01-24-2005, 04:45 AM
Another 18 x 20 pattern on a 300G cosmetic. Why, Why, Why do they bother concealing the truth?

AndrewD
01-24-2005, 07:24 AM
Perhaps because the only difference is the string pattern. I was wondering about it myself as the 300G is a racquet Ive been interested in and noticed the discrepancy in her stringing.

Anyway, when I was in Melbourne I asked Reynolds racquet service who've been the main stringers for the Oz Open the last 30 years, Davis Cup and for Molik herself when she's back home in Melbourne, so should know what they're on about. They said it is a 300G but custom weighted (naturally) and drilled 18x20 rather than 16x19.

As its been such a hot topic on the board I asked him if it was a paint job and he quite pointedly said to me that she hadn't earned one yet. Mauresmo and Haas were worth the trouble but Molik, until this year, hadnt proven herself.

Russell Finch
01-24-2005, 08:35 AM
I like the idea of earning your paintjob. Maybe that's the moment when tennis players know they've really arrived.

thomas martinez
01-24-2005, 09:18 AM
Strangely in the past she has played that style frame. When she first signed with Dunlop, they gave her real Muscle Weave 200Gs to use. SHe then went to the same style of frame that Tommy Haas plays/played with. It wasn't until the Hto Melt line came out, that she stopped playing a paint job style frame. Still it is a total custom frame for her, and even at one point Scott Draper used a similar one, and I even saw a recent pic of Todd Reid using what looked like might have been one of Alicia's cast aways, and he's now even using a different frame from Dunlop yet again.

AndrewD
01-25-2005, 03:13 AM
So I gathered Thomas. You might know or know of Bruce Reynolds down in Australia. He's been doing the stringing there for a hell of a long time, bit of a family business. Given that Molik's using the 300G without logo and hasn't changed to the new Dunlops her next racquet may well be a paintjob. Guess now she's in the top ten (post Aus Open) she can ask for a lot more. Dunlop would be pretty stupid to let her go as Im sure she'd do a better job selling their frames out here than Haas, Mauresmo or Blake.

thomas martinez
01-25-2005, 05:55 AM
I have only heard of the Reynolds clan. Last I heard they were looking to get out of the business, guess they could't get out that easily! Who knows why Dunlop dropped her. Could be for any reason.

david aames
01-27-2005, 10:52 AM
She hadn't earned one yet? Haha. I guess she must have written her name on the frame herself then. Dunlop turning out a paintjob? No way.

http://cgi.*********.au/ws/****ISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5159927455&category=1226&sspagename=rvi:1:2

As its been such a hot topic on the board I asked him if it was a paint job and he quite pointedly said to me that she hadn't earned one yet. Mauresmo and Haas were worth the trouble but Molik, until this year, hadnt proven herself.

AndrewD
01-31-2005, 01:30 AM
David, I saw that **** ad but I've got to ask who in their right mind would pay $700 for a racquet Alicia Molik used? Hell, you could follow Safin around and pick up a few for nothing. Not necessarily in mint condition but might look a touch like the old Snauwert Ergnom LOL. As for that signature, doesn't it just look like she signed a bit of paper and its been stuck on?

Im really surprised if Dunlop lets Molik go as I would think she'd do quite a lot to move their stuff here in Oz. They've got Pat Rafter plugging them and he and Molik would make a pretty good advertisement for the frames.

Thomas, pity to hear that Reynolds were looking to get out. I guess theyre running out of family members to keep the business going. Got about the smallest tennis shop in Melbourne so might be getting the elbow from some of the newer, bigger firms.

nutter
01-31-2005, 04:08 PM
Is that still true re Reynolds? Been there a couple of times for them to fix my stringer and they've always been very professional and nice about it. Pity if they were to sell.
RE Molik's 300G I think it is really a 300G but custom string pattern and weight. PLayed with the 300G and quite liked it and can see why some players would like it (customized of course).