PDA

View Full Version : You are your own marketing department...

Coach Carter
07-08-2008, 07:10 PM
Remember that you are ADVERTISING YOURSELF at all times, players...for that next opportunity. This is your merchandise! Just like a top of the line car or tennis shoe...it's put in great "light" when it's being sold. Realize that coaches look at Facebook, MySpace, and any other networking site that's cool for info on YOU. I want to know as much as I can about the players I recruit. I want to know what your habits are. I want to know that "you love God", "you hate God", or that "you got drunk AGAIN last night". I want to know that over the last 2 weeks, you've loved 4 different guys. I want to see that you're puking at the jr/sr prom, in pics. We read what's there...or I do. Remember, you may not care that us as coaches see it, but when you want to go to U of Tennessee (example only)...if I coach there...I have player A, ranked 50 that appears to make poor choices (while having mom or dad there to punish them or not) or player B, ranked 75 that seems to LOVE TENNIS and has just cool stuff on their page about them and their lives. I am choosing player B. Drama kills a team...and as for me...I am all about team! I care about all my players and will keep an eye out all the time, but mom and dad won't be there to punish you...maturity and self control is a great thing. You don't want people that you can't rely on around...talented or not. Some coaches may take a chance...but why risk the opportunity that you have worked for? Surprises happen...I choose those over obvious trouble. Take care of yourself and give your self the best chance to succeed.

JLyon
07-09-2008, 06:00 AM
when I coached back in North Texas we had 2 ******** one was Top 10 SuperChamps another was Top 50 Supers. One player worked hard and was athletic and then other was more interested in partying. Guess what by the end of Year 1 the #50 player took out the #10 player. #50 played all 4 years in Top 3-4, while the #10 burned out and played #6 and then transferred out at end of Year 3 after losing scholarship. Character and drive are almost as important than a high ranking.

Thanks for all the comments coach, this hopefully will open the eyes of many young players looking at playing in college.

Gemini
07-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Ya know..this is pretty important stuff. In this day and age, the access to multimedia and "self-publication" is almost limitless. Employers are now scanning the internet to see what's out there regarding potential employees. Making a college team is definitely equivalent to setting the right credentials to gain a professional job. Although, I don't think a potential player has to be squeaky clean out there on the web but there is a definitive line.

To all the juniors out there, be careful what you put out there in the public forums because it could inevitably be used to determine whether or not you make the team of your choosing. Definitely well-advised by C.C. and JLyon.

socrates2007
07-14-2008, 06:58 PM
Drama kills a team
I can attest to this. We had a player on our team that partied hard every night. I spent most of my time having to take care of him and every one had to constantly stay on his a** to go to class and not get high, because you need a minimum GPA to not be on academic probation and you need to pass drug tests to be able to play as well. Needless to say he finished his first semester with a 0.7 GPA and was on academic probation during the tennis season (which was a pain, because someone would have to take him to matches after he got out of class because he couldn't miss any classes). You can probably guess where his college career went.

socrates2007
07-14-2008, 07:04 PM
I forgot to add that the team record went from 15-9 (3 or 4 in conference) and a trip to the NCAA regionals the previous year to 9-12 (6 in conference) and losing in the first round of the conference tournament. The team had only lost one player from the previous year.