PDA

View Full Version : High USTA ranking important to local D-II coaches?

Dave Mc
07-10-2008, 09:25 AM
I know that a high USTA ranking is important to D-I coaches. But when D-II coaches are recruiting within their own USTA section, how important to them is a high USTA ranking? In this situation, is a high sectional ranking normally enough to attract the same D-II scholarship offers that you would have received if you also had the high USTA ranking to go with it?

JLyon
07-10-2008, 09:41 AM
Example locally Daniel Moser just signed an LOI with Ouachita Baptist, which is a perennial Top 10 DII school. Moser is #3 in Arkansas and Top 60 in Southern Section.
Alot will depend on attitude, drive, and available talent to build upon in the coaches opinion. Show a great work ethic and attitude and coaches will take notice.

Dave Mc
07-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Perfect example, because looking at Moser's B16/B18 tournament records, he played almost no national events, and as a result, had a low USTA ranking. But the local D-II coach was apparently more interested in his high state/sectional ranking, and extended an offer.

I don't know if he received a full or partial scholarship, but lets just say for example that he got a partial. Hypothetically, do you think that if his family had spent thousands of dollars flying him around the country building up a top 200 USTA ranking, that the D-II coach would have offered a full scholarhip instead?

socrates2007
07-14-2008, 07:34 PM
I played at a DII school and when it came to recruiting our coach had several tournaments that he visited every year that were important to recruiting, he wanted to watch people play and analyze that, rankings were considered, but not that important.